The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB - Tanzbar 2 Analog Drum Machine
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quuz View Post
Good choice, everything from elektron in terms of build quality is light years ahead of mfb.
I agree but then again Elektron devices fail, especially the display. My old MFB stuff still runs like on day one and if something gets loose I can solder it myself easily.
Old 27th October 2018
Here you go:

Old 27th October 2018
Been watching this machine for a second, thanks for the vids. What do you think of the build? How are the knobs & buttons? Are the buttons rubber or plastic? How intuitive do you feel programming it is? Overall feeling about your purchase so far?
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Is it possible to merge the two threads ?
Tanzbar 2
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Addict

Gotta say this sounds really good. Used to own a tanzbar and never used to love the snare or hi hats (everything else sounded great) but this is sounding real crisp on the snares. Shame they have no idea how to build an intuitive interface, but to be fair the tanzvar wasn't too bad once u got used to it.
Old 27th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Sycamore View Post
Been watching this machine for a second, thanks for the vids. What do you think of the build? How are the knobs & buttons? Are the buttons rubber or plastic? How intuitive do you feel programming it is? Overall feeling about your purchase so far?
Build quality - SOLID. Hard metal, tight wood sides, knobs don't wobble. The volume sliders are tight and feel heavy. I know there are two schools on slider torque but I prefer them tight over loose. The buttons are hard plastic. They feel much more firm than the Tanzmaus buttons which not only were tiny but also sort of wobbled in their own way.
MFB and intuitive shouldn't be in the same sentence but I will say that due to having more real estate for controls than something like the Tanzbar Lite or Tanzmaus the T2 feels simpler. It is the next morning and not only am I making some grooves now but I haven't FORGOTTEN how to do things which would happen all the time with the Tanzmaus. Without a manual I actually figured out how to copy + paste a pattern from one bar to another, and those six BAR sections are super intuitive and great for live play. I'm starting to dig a bit further with LFO functions now and stuff but like I said, not as intuitive as a Korg Electribe but certainly not as cryptic as the Tanzmaus.

The LCD menu screen is as I had predicted; a slight extension of parameters without getting too dive heavy. I only wish I could adjust the screen brightness / contrast... currently I don't see an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robleighton22 View Post
Gotta say this sounds really good. Used to own a tanzbar and never used to love the snare or hi hats (everything else sounded great) but this is sounding real crisp on the snares. Shame they have no idea how to build an intuitive interface, but to be fair the tanzvar wasn't too bad once u got used to it.
I downloaded samples of the Tanzbar 1 not long ago to try them out in an Electribe sampler and honestly I didn't care for many of the sounds, they just felt uninspired to me. I still feel the kick + snare of the Tanzmaus is the best, and the T2 comes slightly short of that. There doesn't seem to be a noise/dirt option for the kick on the T2, and the snares are really nice but to me nothing will beat the Tanzmaus snare. I own a JoMoX XBase 09 and still think the Tanzmaus sounded better (minus the clap). Also to note, I find the T2 a bit more comfortable to program than the XBase 09. I just have some weird hangup with the XBase 09 and I keep changing patterns by mistake when switching in and out of WRITE mode or something.

All in all I was hoping to get a more powerful/versatile Tanzmaus that is easier to control. What I got is exactly that, losing just a few points for not having the same kick/snare as the Tanzmaus but it comes close, and as they say you can't have everything. Both kicks on the T2 are still very powerful and nice. The 2nd snare (808 style?) on the T2 I actually like a lot. Worth the price? Let's face it, these things are always over priced. I feel the T2 should be more in the $600 range, $650 max, but oh well.
Old 29th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
The LCD menu screen is as I had predicted; a slight extension of parameters without getting too dive heavy. I only wish I could adjust the screen brightness / contrast... currently I don't see an option.
You can adjust the contrast through SHIFT + MISC options.

Also, Kick 1 has a noise and transient as 3/4 params so you can try that.

Build quality wise - does turning Data 2 knob feels harder than any other knob for you?
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Addict
Old 31st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatija View Post
You can adjust the contrast through SHIFT + MISC options.

Also, Kick 1 has a noise and transient as 3/4 params so you can try that.

Build quality wise - does turning Data 2 knob feels harder than any other knob for you?
I did find the contrast on my own earlier however wasn't sure how to change those parameters for 3/4 on the kick but it looks like you hold 3/4 down then select a number... thanks for that, though the noise to me sound too crisp/high end compared to the subtle noise of the Tanzmaus kick. I so much as put it on on level 1 on the TB2 and it's a crispy spit sound...

As for the data knob, if by harder you mean the torque feeling a tad tighter or heavier actually I had not noticed until you pointed it out (r)... but yeah, D2 has a TAD more resistance. No big deal though...
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

I did not realize this, but the original Tanzbar is now discontinued. Searching on ebay for used prices, I found no Tanzbar at all on sale ...

I found one for sale new on Reverb: for almost 900€ (over a $1,000):
MFB Tanzbar 2010s | Reverb
Old 4th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
I did not realize this, but the original Tanzbar is now discontinued. Searching on ebay for used prices, I found no Tanzbar at all on sale ...

I found one for sale new on Reverb: for almost 900€ (over a $1,000):
MFB Tanzbar 2010s | Reverb
Old 1st December 2019
Here for the gear

please people someone somewhere somehow make a tutorial for tanzbar2, cause the manual is a joke, it seems like 5th grader wrote something anything he knew about the machine in a messy order in german, than put it to google translate, translated it to english and here you go - the manual. seriously, i dont even know how to use this damn good sounding, but so not easy to learn (at least for me) maschine..
Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear
I too found the manual to be a little unhelpful, i've only had my tanzabar 2 for a week. I emailed the support email address today and very quickly got a response from jean at MFB who said they are working on tutorials that will drop on youtube either before christmas or early in the new year. I'll update with more details when I'm not at work, I have very limited access to internet whilst I'm here and I can't get to my phone and gmail until I leave.
Adam.

Edit, this is what I received from Jean Marcel Fricke yesterday, and what a thoroughly nice chap he seemed too.

We are currently working on tutorials and i hope we can drop them this
year before christmas or beginning of next year.

Check our Youtube account which is called Herr Fricke Jr.

There's not a great deal on the YouTube channel at the moment but fingers crossed some tanzbar 2 tutorials appear soon.

I have just joined this community today and hope the information I've relayed is going to be helpful and alternatively if anyone feels they have any helpful tips to pass on about the tanzbar 2 please do not hesitate.

Adam.

Last edited by adamoliver; 11th December 2019 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Extra info
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear