The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer MS-101 Analogue Synthesizer
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
Okay, so you're not offended. You're taking issue. Got it. Still and all, you're calling people out in a way that comes of kind of aggro at best. Let people like what they like, man. Nobody's hurting you by digging this stuff.
I never said people couldn't like it. In fact, I'm quite interested in the MS101!

My issue is not even about Behringer! No idea why you are trying to make it out to be.

I was taking the piss out of people commenting that Roland & Korg "need to innovate". One has led the way for affordable analogue, the other intentionally avoids reissues to do new/different things, for better or worse.
Both offer a range of products that do more than what a few classics did and even offering these sounds in ways that suit how people are making music today.

A reissue/clone is actually beneficial to owners of the original (parts back in production!), brings a genuinely great design that somehow holds up today back to market, potentially retains interest in the 101... For OG owners, can be a backup or alternative for live use. Both it and the SH01A provide alternatives to suit different approaches/setups.
Its not all a ridiculous competition, which GS seems to love turning everything into. If we want to have a serious discussion, lets avoid that ok?
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbel View Post
I notice he said it's their last synth announcement for superbooth. But they must have something left for the last day... please let it be a sequencer...
Saving best for last...arp 2600!!
Old 4th May 2018
Here for the gear

Discussing the gear is way more interesting than discussing the quality of the discussion about the gear for damn sure.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post

but now i'm looking at my tiny SH-01A, and thinking "you gotta go" and hello MS-101
Yep ... it’s making me look at my SH01a and think ... I’m going to buy that Behr ... TC electronics June 60 to slap on my 6 note poly capable synth with patch memory and see how it sounds alongside my OG Juno 106. . I love the thought that they’ve done what everybody wanted, and I’d be at the head of the queue if I didn’t have the 01a (still might be), but that boutique has enough edvantages to still be valid and it still sounds great.

Edit: now that I’ve seen what Omnisphere has done with the SH01a, I’m even happier still - doesn’t stop me loving this new full size real McCoy-clone (oxymoron accepted) just the same though

Last edited by dr_Jezz; 5th May 2018 at 12:54 AM..
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

I hope they make a desktop or Eurorack version
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
Discussing the gear is way more interesting than discussing the quality of the discussion about the gear for damn sure.
Absolutely!

But again, ridiculous nonsense about Korg or Roland is not discussing the MS101 either.

A cheap monosynth with a sensible sized keyboard, regardless of whether its a clone of the 101 is a winner for me. Its one aspect of the analogue revival that has bugged me - 2 octave keyboards.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaintlouis View Post
Behringer pushed the boundaries, still is probably, and the only company who reacted seriously in this battle is dreadbox. They pulled back their original medusa mono project and created a new hybrid that is out of any competition. Hopefully more companies will follow this example and will finally be creative..
Spot on. The only other brand in my current shopping list, synth wise, is dreadbox.
Old 4th May 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Crazy from what they used to go for, but 1k is not really "CRAZY" money imho.
oh well! you must have more money than sense.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Being presented today.
Presented today - available in three years.

Behringer is showing a lot of good stuff. I hope some of it hits the stores soon.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy View Post
They have so much releases that they could easily make there own Buperbooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by babsbosney View Post
Bonerbooth
BUlibooth
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear
Uli swung by the Roland "milk" bar on his way to DeutscheBank:

Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

^
Before the image loaded I assumed it would be a Clockwork Orange reference
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

I hope you can trigger the sequencer steps from external source , it my fave way to use beatstep pro and sh01a., nice quirky sequences.

I’d like a red one.
And hopefully they’ll show their crazy fx box that was leaked a while ago. (spec was leaked )
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
On paper, it is crazy.

However, I personally found I got on better with synths that had larger than 2 octave keyboards. Bought, got annoyed and sold enough of synths like the BS2/Sub Phatty etc, the SH101 I can waste hours with, used to with an MS10 as well. Knowing this, there's not much choice for under £1k and annoyingly the SH101 doesn't seem quite so crazy.

But that's me as a pianist/guitarist and appreciate 'playable' instruments. Which not everyone is into.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
A little of both. Good thing I waited though
Old 4th May 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
Holy bajeezus. It's now evident why they made that move to the new factory - they'll need an even bigger one at this rate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Wait, did he say every parameter of the surface can be automated by CC (~4:30)? Did he really mean that?
Wait - does that mean that you could essentially store "patches" on your DAW in the form of CC messages? Is that the same for all of their releases?

Expect TR-08s and SH-01As to flood the 2nd hand market... right about... NOW!
Old 4th May 2018
Quote:
I sense a lot of OG owners not happy with possible long term devaluation?
Not here, paid $400 for mine. Just recapped and installed SH-1oh1 kit earlier this year. Plus a previous owner had Timothy Leary autograph it. I don’t care about value of any of my gear. Not like I will ever be able to retire from selling it.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b View Post
Expect TR-08s and SH-01As to flood the 2nd hand market... right about... NOW!
I'm keeping my TR-08 and I'm for surely getting that RD808 if it passes the litmus tests. I'm thinking the TR-08 will come in handy for desktop MIDI into DAW and the RD808 for playback/recording in the rack.

I'm also hesitant to let go of any boutiques just at the moment. Roland has a bad habit of discontinuing them and the prices go through the roof with OCD collectors wanting to pay to much to complete their collections. Either way it's cool with me, I waited and bought mine for a couple hundred bucks used so no love loss there.
Old 4th May 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
I'm thinking the TR-08 will come in handy for desktop MIDI into DAW and the RD808 for playback/recording in the rack.
Yes, that's a good point. The TR-08 is super easy to multi-channel record into a DAW via USB audio, that's for sure, plus it takes practically no space in the studio. Makes total sense to keep it for that.

I only sold mine (this week, before the announcement as it happens!) as the TR-08 sound just isn't for me it turns out.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Have to say, no idea what this will do to the current or vintage market, no idea what the response will be for established big brands, no idea if it will see the rise of a new force, and I dont know what it would do for innovation vs recreations. I reckon if its cheap enough I would buy one, and I dont think that would stop me wanting an original either...101 or 808
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbel View Post
I notice he said it's their last synth announcement for superbooth. But they must have something left for the last day... please let it be a sequencer...
I'm hoping it's the Maelstrom..
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Wow... just wow. Behringer is going hog wild.

I wonder how much longer before we start hearing these "new old school" synths in mainstream music. It'll be the 80s all over again.

Interesting that they made this one look a lot like the SH-101 rather than making it Eurorack format like the D and the Pro One.

One thing that wasn't clear in the video is how the FM works. Looks like the sources are the oscillator waveforms, but what it it modulating? There's only one oscillator, so is it modulating the filter? The demo didn't make it very clear.

2018 is shaping up to be a great year for analog aficionados.
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoerngiesler View Post
So let's see. From not having a single synth in their portfolio in 2016, they went to

- DM12 and friends (2017)
- D
- MS-101
- Pro-1
- Neutron
- Odyssey
- VC340
- RD-808

I do believe that "carpet-bombing" is the right word. Behringer has just gone from zero to being the most varied manufacturer of analog synths in. the. world.

You don't have to like them. In fact, it's kind of scary. But you sure as hell can't ignore them anymore.

I really like that they *start* to find a kind of common product identity on their synths. Notice the same sequencer on Odyssey and MS-101, and the same form factor on Neutron, Pro1 and Boog.
With this going on and the UBXa being developed i can see 2019 as Behringer carpet bombing with polys.... I see UBXa.... Then JP-8..... Then Memorymoog.....No question.... Behringer mean business.
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Are we taking bets on if they skip the “Juno 106 clone without all the extras” model that some request and they scale this into something like the Juno 60?
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

It seems Behringer is losing their touch.. a couple of hours have gone by without them announcing a new synth!

Having said that.. well I guess that's another synth on the shopping list. My guess? It's gonna be $350
Old 5th May 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
I only wish that they would have patch memories. If they can transmit and receive CC MIDI (as they suggest in the video) then surely it's not a phenomenal leap of technology to just store and recall the CC values for each control in a patch?

If their entire range had patch memories then they would REALLY appeal to the cross-over generation, and imagine: recalling a Model D patch, or an Odyssey, or an MS-101 at the touch of a button. For me, that's the only thing stopping me buying ANY synth (old or new) - I just can't be dealing with writing down knob placements on patch sheets or taking photos of things. C'mon - it's 2018! It's not "cool" to have to spend hours fiddling with a bunch of knobs and patch sheets in order to recall sounds. Is it?

Surely I cannot be the only one who thinks this and wishes that they'd put patch storage on their devices - even if that meant an extra £50-100?!

Don't get me wrong - I think what Behringer are accomplishing is absolutely fantastic. They're really reigniting things in the synth world... but please... Let me save my patches!
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
I only wish that they would have patch memories. If they can transmit and receive CC MIDI (as they suggest in the video) then surely it's not a phenomenal leap of technology to just store and recall the CC values for each control in a patch?

If their entire range had patch memories then they would REALLY appeal to the cross-over generation, and imagine: recalling a Model D patch, or an Odyssey, or an MS-101 at the touch of a button. For me, that's the only thing stopping me buying ANY synth (old or new) - I just can't be dealing with writing down knob placements on patch sheets or taking photos of things. C'mon - it's 2018! It's not "cool" to have to spend hours fiddling with a bunch of knobs and patch sheets in order to recall sounds. Is it?

Surely I cannot be the only one who thinks this and wishes that they'd put patch storage on their devices - even if that meant an extra £50-100?!

Don't get me wrong - I think what Behringer are accomplishing is absolutely fantastic. They're really reigniting things in the synth world... but please... Let me save my patches!
Well you can still get the Roland SH-01A, which does have patch memory. It has polyphony as well. And it sounds just like a 101!

For a lot of synthheads, not having patch memory is part of the experience. On a synth like the 101 it's faster to just dial in the sound you want than it is to browse for a sound through banks of presets anyway. Maybe not at first, but once you've familiarized yourself with your synth, it's easy as pie!
Old 5th May 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
Well you can still get the Roland SH-01A, which does have patch memory. It has polyphony as well. And it sounds just like a 101!
True - and I think it sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
For a lot of synthheads, not having patch memory is part of the experience. On a synth like the 101 it's faster to just dial in the sound you want than it is to browse for a sound through banks of presets anyway. Maybe not at first, but once you've familiarized yourself with your synth, it's easy as pie!
Ugh. Not for me. I had an SH-101 and an MC-202 - back in the day. What a royal pain it is when you come across a great sound, write it down, make another sound then when you want to recall that previous sound it just isn't quite how you remember it as the knobs aren't quite in the right place.

I'd rather get the Roland boutique for that problem alone... but of course then you have a different problem... the throw of the sliders is tiny so fine adjustments are near impossible unless you map them to an external controller! Aaaaaargh. The madness. Madness I tell thee. MADNESS!
Old 5th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
What?

A company is literally not innovating and people are getting excited about the non-innovative company/products and demanding the innovators who designed these decades ago start innovating?

Where are we getting this idea that re-issuing a 40 year synth/drum machine is "innovation"?
It's innovative to see a manufacturer making what people actually wanted for a long time - re issues (well sort of) of the real thing. Not micro sized digital half baked copies but the real thing.

I know it sounds weird, but since mainly Korg and Roland refused to give it to the people it's refreshing (or innovative) to break that trend

Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
I wonder how much longer before we start hearing these "new old school" synths in mainstream music.
This is why Behringer has a responsibility to make good sounding instruments.
If they're going to flood the market it better be with stuff that sounds good.

The Model D is already going to kick things up a notch.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search