All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer MS-101 Analogue Synthesizer
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
You .. didn't notice??

Good one, mate!
Haha. I'm so used to mixing down all the oscillator waves, and just pumping up the Sub Osc for that classic Daniel Avery style sound, I just ignored any extra bits the MS-1 has to offer.

When I finally discovered it, I nearly p!ssed myself at the extra capabilities it gives. And also the fact it gives a real dirty tinge to the sound which had me viewing it differently. What a c0ck.

And then there's the fact my friend had added a plug-in on the UAD console channel it was plugged into which I hadn't noticed, as I usually do it all from within the DAW.

A cacophony of balls, basically.

I had to address my earlier comments, as this thing really is good.

Anyway, it's nice and noisy and dirty like the original.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
When I finally discovered it, I nearly p!ssed myself at the extra capabilities it gives. And also the fact it gives a real dirty tinge to the sound which had me viewing it differently. What a c0ck.
LOL yeah, these things happen. So many times i think something sounds a bit off and then find out some function or whatnot is engaged.

Tho personally i kindof don't gravitate towards the filter fm, given what i've heared in youtubes. Kindof messes with the pure and solid sound of the 101. I don't like what i've heared so far to be honest. In that respect i'd tend to use the 101 for other duties and use more capable fm-ing synths to do any FM stuff. At some point you have enough freaky frequencies in your track so a 101 just doesn't seem to be the natural place for FM for me. But you know, it depends and i don't slam you liking it.

Quote:
Anyway, it's nice and noisy and dirty like the original.
Well, overall i don't hear it that much. It sounds less dirty to me and doesn't seem to have the same kinds of sweet spots in mainly the filter. But to be honest i still haven't played around with one so i'm still keeping some hope for it.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Finally spent a lot of time with the MS101.

I own a lot of original Roland hardware, and have owned a 101 or two in my time.

Behringer seem to do themselves disservice by baseing these on such revered classics.

Though inspired by, the MS just doesn't capture the essence of the 101. It seems to fizz harshly where it counts, whereas the Roland stuff is like butter.

On it's own, it's a lovely bit of kit, but dont think you're getting a 101.

The SH01a is superior in its similarity.
I think MS is much closer than SH01a in every category.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
I think MS is much closer than SH01a in every category.
How about the portamento category?

Or the sequencer category?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I discovered one of the main synths used for the bleeps in 1990 bleep techno using this, it can nail them...just saying! I added some noise to season lol, took me back!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Well, overall i don't hear it that much. It sounds less dirty to me and doesn't seem to have the same kinds of sweet spots in mainly the filter. But to be honest i still haven't played around with one so i'm still keeping some hope for it.
Definitely this. It takes a little bit of work, but then I've played different 101s that are slightly off kilter compared to what you expect.

There seemed to be a lot of hiss on the output, as if it was as aged as an OG 101 to me.

However, having said that, I do like to audition sounds at a ridiculously high level.

To me, the two ways to compare to the original are to get it to sound like R2D2 via the S&H modulating the filter, and to make a resonance free patch with the Sub Oscillator.

Those are probably the two most familiar 101 sounds I personally associate it with. It passed the test well.

Also, the SH01a shouldn't be underestimated. It's a wonderful, wonderful bit of kit, with a fantastic sound. It's a fantastic time to be into music making

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search