The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer Odyssey
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFoMusic View Post
An example of using the Odyssey, not only for demoing features and specs, but in a real musical context, together with the VC340 and Neutron (played with a MIDI keyboard). The bass and bright arpeggios, and the percussion (the stuff you don't see me play in the video) is made with digital softsynths, showing that one does not have to choose either digital or analog. They can be friends!

The Neutron has a saw waveform whereas the Odyssey has a pulse waveform, creating interesting effects when reversing which of them is "leading" (played with my right hand) and which is "trailing" (played with left hand).

I really enjoyed listening to that. Great job.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Good to see a review that also touches on the ethics of reproducing old classics for a modern audience without devolving into an attack on any specific company (especially if the reviewer has an existing bias) . Another company's equivalent product is shown as an alternative with equal standing.

As far as the Odyssey is concerned it's history is a minefield of patent infringements -- ARP using another company's filter designs and Octave making their own Odyssey knockoffs. It seems almost hypocritical to cry foul at someone making their own reproduction attempt 40 years later.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
The Odyssey got an award and a raving review
Sadly, it confirmed that it has a wart, which is the reason I didn’t buy any of the Korg versions. Note that it isn’t external PSUs that annoy me in and of themselves, but the crappy barrel connectors that companies tend to equip wart-infested gear with.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I remember when the Korg version was announced I said it was overpriced for being cheaply built, and people scowled and said that it couldn’t be done for what I perceived to be a reasonable price ($4-500). Now it’s really amusing to me that not only does Behringer achieve that price but also improve on several fronts. And I bet within a year’s time we see this down to closer to $400.

I agree I’ve never been into the PPC (from my original ARP ownership) though.
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
As far as the Odyssey is concerned it's history is a minefield of patent infringements -- ARP using another company's filter designs and Octave making their own Odyssey knockoffs. It seems almost hypocritical to cry foul at someone making their own reproduction attempt 40 years later.
Well, the Cat may have been based on the Odyssey, but it didn't ape the physical and aesthetic design. It had pots and I believe a bit of a different sound. (Sub oscillators, etc) And Arp had to agree to license the 4035 filter from Moog. So, I pretty much disagree with your equivalency there. Not really bagging on Behringer, but it's definitely not the same thing. They are using the brand recognition of other synth manufacturers, including the names, in a more obvious way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
Sadly, it confirmed that it has a wart, which is the reason I didn’t buy any of the Korg versions. Note that it isn’t external PSUs that annoy me in and of themselves, but the crappy barrel connectors that companies tend to equip wart-infested gear with.
I had my KArp modded to put the PSU inside and a Euro connector on the back. It was a quick, cheap mod.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
I had my KArp modded to put the PSU inside and a Euro connector on the back. It was a quick, cheap mod.

Did that with my gigging keys that have an external PSU. As you say, a quick and reasonably priced mod. I once had the pin bend on the PX-5S PSU connector just before a gig. Luckily it can also use batteries but after that I modded that and the MOXF8.

Can't wait for my Odyssey to arrive. It was the first synth I ever played at the age of 15 (the school hired one in for a concert).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I remember when the Korg version was announced I said it was overpriced for being cheaply built, and people scowled and said that it couldn’t be done for what I perceived to be a reasonable price ($4-500). Now it’s really amusing to me that not only does Behringer achieve that price but also improve on several fronts. And I bet within a year’s time we see this down to closer to $400.

I agree I’ve never been into the PPC (from my original ARP ownership) though.
I've had both the slimkey version and still have the FS whiteface version and I am pretty much anal about using cheaply built equipment, and I can say without hesitation none of the Korg versions are cheaply built. The keybed could be better but at full size it's still not bad to me. I've grown used to it and it doesn't bother me.
It has a strong metal chassis and panel, the sliders work without drag and aren't wobbly. I find it to be a well built synthesizer.

Could they have sold them at a lower cost, perhaps? but it's a free marketplace and you price things at what the market will bear.
I don't hold that against Korg, it was my decision and I love my Odyssey FS.

I think it's great Behringer has produced their own version at a lower cost and that consumers have a choice.
I don't hold ill will against Behringer, it looks and sounds great and if I didn't already have an Odyssey I would be picking one up for sure.

If Behringer lowers these to $400 (which I doubt very serious), I think they would be doing themselves AND the synthesizer a disservice because it would bolster the perception they are cheap. Sometimes unless it's a blowout of a discontinued item, you can undercut yourself too low and I hope and believe Uli has better business sense than that.
At $500 is a huge deal, leave it at that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
This is essentially how an Access Virus is built. Internally mounted line lump, lol.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
I could have confirmed that if asked, and yes it's not ideal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
I've had both the slimkey version and still have the FS whiteface version and I am pretty much anal about using cheaply built equipment, and I can say without hesitation none of the Korg versions are cheaply built. The keybed could be better but at full size it's still not bad to me. I've grown used to it and it doesn't bother me.
It has a strong metal chassis and panel, the sliders work without drag and aren't wobbly. I find it to be a well built synthesizer.

Could they have sold them at a lower cost, perhaps? but it's a free marketplace and you price things at what the market will bear.
I don't hold that against Korg, it was my decision and I love my Odyssey FS.

I think it's great Behringer has produced their own version at a lower cost and that consumers have a choice.
I don't hold ill will against Behringer, it looks and sounds great and if I didn't already have an Odyssey I would be picking one up for sure.

If Behringer lowers these to $400 (which I doubt very serious), I think they would be doing themselves AND the synthesizer a disservice because it would bolster the perception they are cheap. Sometimes unless it's a blowout of a discontinued item, you can undercut yourself too low and I hope and believe Uli has better business sense than that.
At $500 is a huge deal, leave it at that.
The one piece keyboard (on the slim model at least, I don’t remember if the FS is like that too) is a super cheesy move that should be reserved for Casio, IMHO. And certainly they can put whatever price tag they want on there, but I was specifically saying that people commented that it simply *could not* be done, that the components are “too expensive,” etc...

A lot of Behringer gear retail price goes down significantly after initial release, not just their synths. Now you are seeing Model Ds and Neutrons at $228, as an example. Was pretty easy to get in the $250 range when they first came out. I expect $500 is the intro price for the odyssey, and certainly reasonable. But i wouldn’t be surprised to see $400 after the hype wears down.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And certainly they can put whatever price tag they want on there, but I was specifically saying that people commented that it simply *could not* be done, that the components are “too expensive,” etc...
perhaps it couldn't be made or perhaps it could, one thing i know for a fact and that is KORG stepped in 5 years ago, Behringer waited until now.

KORG - 2014

BEHRINGER - 2019

KORG - reasonable sized synth company

BEHRINGER - behemoth

5 years time span to allow things to change and/or be altered, manufacturing differences over this period are huge and especially considering the two firms in question, purchasing, leverage, logic.

don't really need to say it do I

Nothing against Behringer at all and I think they are doing wonderful things, I just think we should hold ourselves to some sense when speaking in such ways.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
The one piece keyboard (on the slim model at least, I don’t remember if the FS is like that too) is a super cheesy move that should be reserved for Casio, IMHO. And certainly they can put whatever price tag they want on there, but I was specifically saying that people commented that it simply *could not* be done, that the components are “too expensive,” etc...

A lot of Behringer gear retail price goes down significantly after initial release, not just their synths. Now you are seeing Model Ds and Neutrons at $228, as an example. Was pretty easy to get in the $250 range when they first came out. I expect $500 is the intro price for the odyssey, and certainly reasonable. But i wouldn’t be surprised to see $400 after the hype wears down.
Could be. I do believe that expecting these remakes of classic instruments at even lower prices can be counter productive. Companies have to be profitable and sell a large number of their products in order to stay in business. I would bet you will also expect spare parts for the synth you buy if anything fails, even after the warranty expires.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Nothing like a little sizzle in the morning

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
And Arp had to agree to license the 4035 filter from Moog.
Not at first. The transistor ladder design first appeared in the ProSoloist as the 4034 module without Moog's consent -- epoxy potted so make it harder to crack open and inspect. I do believe an agreement was eventually reached between the two companies. Some of the last ARP products to use the ladder filter were the early Pro DG/X and some of the later 'bucktooth' DG/X as well -- at least a couple years after the 4072 filter became common in the Odyssey.

Edit: forgot the 4012 in the 2600, that's the original infringing design.
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Not at first. The transistor ladder design first appeared in the ProSoloist as the 4034 module without Moog's consent -- epoxy potted so make it harder to crack open and inspect. I do believe an agreement was eventually reached between the two companies. Some of the last ARP products to use the ladder filter were the early Pro DG/X and some of the later 'bucktooth' DG/X as well -- at least a couple years after the 4072 filter became common in the Odyssey.

Edit: forgot the 4012 in the 2600, that's the original infringing design.
So, are you saying that Behringer will get in trouble for infringing on other manufacturers designs, names, and aesthetics, and have to come up with licensing agreements? Because, eventually, Arp DID have to license the designs from Moog.

I guess, I'm not sure how it would be hypocritical to talk about the mass cloning project as being a bit tasteless if the history you're pointing to had pretty reasonable outcomes.

The first: the Octave Cat was similar to the Odyssey, but in today's world, nobody would bat an eye to a synth that only resembles another synth in somewhat superficial ways.

The second: an infringing filter design, didn't have much to do with the overall brand recognition or synth layout at all. And they STILL had to come up with a license.

Whereas, Behringer is re-releasing classics, using the brand recognition of the original manufacturers, the color schemes, and close to the exact layout and circuitry of the originals, without developing partnerships or coming up with any sort of reasonable agreements with companies that are still in existence and manufacturing synths.

If Behringer took the Odyssey, the Model D, Pro-1, or an Ms-20 and came up with the exact same circuit design as the original, but maybe used slightly different front panel layouts, a different color scheme, and called it the Neutron Pro or something, I'd bet you anything they wouldn't sell nearly as well as selling something that everyone knows from the brand recognition.

I'm kinda neutral on all this, but I think it's reasonable for people to be turned off.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

If Behringer took the Odyssey, the Model D, Pro-1, or an Ms-20 and came up with the exact same circuit design as the original, but maybe used slightly different front panel layouts, a different color scheme, and called it the Neutron Pro or something, I'd bet you anything they wouldn't sell nearly as well as selling something that everyone knows from the brand recognition.

I'm kinda neutral on all this, but I think it's reasonable for people to be turned off.
I get your point but what I can't understand is why don't you complain about other brands that also copied the colour scheme, layout and overall asthetics. It seems that it only matters when the name of Behringer arises.

There are tons of examples:

Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
I get your point but what I can't understand is why don't you complain about other brands that also copied the colour scheme, layout and overall asthetics. It seems that it only matters when the name of Behringer arises.
I'm actually NOT complaining. I was just pushing back against the idea that it's somewhat hypocritical for people to cry foul because some mild infringements (and resolutions) under a totally different set of circumstances happened back in the 70's.

I honestly don't care all that much, but I think it's valid for people to complain. And valid for people to avoid Behringer for this kind of thing. Mostly because the stuff you mention is either digital hardware controlling software of *then* obsolete synth companies or they are extremely boutiquey brands making various clones, kind of under the radar. Not a HUGE corporation that sometimes dwarfs the size of still operational synth manufacturers that it is taking brand recognition from for a much larger market. You could also make the argument that people have cloned these synths via VST's, but I also think that's somewhat different.

Again, I'm more pragmatic about the whole thing. If it's not illegal, then they have a right to do it! But, it's okay for people to still think it's somewhat classless, as a very large company. But, I also get people being excited to have these synths at very nice prices.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mostly because the stuff you mention is either digital hardware controlling software of *then* obsolete synth companies or they are extremely boutiquey brands making various clones, kind of under the radar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Doesn't apply here. Not if you actually read what I said and what I was responding to. That's also a super lazy response. You could have just said tldr.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for the photos Mastropiero - I hadn't seen those devices before, not that I've looked but all the same, it's good to know they exist. I'm off now to find out how much they cost, I'm guessing they're a lot compared to Beh.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find answers to in the quick start manual,

How do you set the MIDI channel, there aren't any of those dip switches like on the Model D?

Can you switch local on/off so it could be used as a master keyboard?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find answers to in the quick start manual,

How do you set the MIDI channel, there aren't any of those dip switches like on the Model D?

If it's like the MS101, and I assume it is because they're using the same sequencer etc, then it's a combination of buttons to put it into settings mode and then you push the relevant button on the sequencer (e.g. button 5 for channel 5).

I also doubt there will be local off or any CC sent from the sliders but I'm just speculating.

Edit: Confirmed from the manual, no mention of local off and the MIDI channel change is the same as the MS101:

CHANGING THE MIDI CHANNEL
The MIDI input and output channel may be changed using the following procedure:
1. Press SHIFT+ HOLD/REST + 8 to enter the setting mode. The LOCATION LED 1 will blink yellow.
2. Press <KYBD or STEP> to select pages 1 or 2. The yellow LOCATION LED, shows the current page:
3. Page 1 allows you to select the MIDI input channel, 1 to 16.
4. Page 2 allows you to select the MIDI output channel, 1 to 16.
5. Press STEP switches 1 to 8 to select numeric values from 1 to 8. The current value is indicated by a green LOCATION LED.
6. To access values 9 to 16, press SHIFT + STEP switch 1 to 8. The current value is shown by a red LOCATION LED.
Note: If a setting is on the same LED number as the current page LED, then the LED will flash alternately between the yellow page color and the green or red parameter color.
7. Press SHIFT + HOLD/REST + 8 to exit the setting mode, and save any parameter changes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post

yup

it isn't what you want to hear but just drop the ADSR/AR output fader
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

The Prophet REV2 syncs ok with the prologue trigger out, but I can't get the Prologue to lock to it. It appears that the Oddy gets the triggers from the Prologue, but I don't think the tempo got locked to it. Could not find any gate/trigger interfacing instructions anywhere.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Are there any side to side sound comparisons between this and the Korg Odyssey yet?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Has this started shipping stateside yet?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatMan View Post
Are there any side to side sound comparisons between this and the Korg Odyssey yet?
mootbooxle did one in Dec of 2018 before it was released, so it's an early model and may not reflect the final Behringer version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
mootbooxle did one in Dec of 2018 before it was released, so it's an early model and may not reflect the final Behringer version.
I can't see a comparison on that video.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't see a comparison on that video.
You are absolutely right, thank you and my apologies for posting it thinking it was A vs B.
It's been 8 months since I originally watched his video with the Behringer Odyssey in it, and I did a comparison search on YT this morning and remembered this video listing as a comparison, so I didn't watch it again.

Hopefully someone will do one sooner or later.

Thanks for your comment.

maybe we should ask the Behringer R&D dept...lol(JUST KIDDING!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search