The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer Odyssey
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Sounds like an Odyssey to me and I've owned an OG MKII and KARP mini + module.

MKII era sounds very Moog anyway and I think the AXXE sounds slightly better than the Odyssey for straight leads:

My direct expereince has only ever been with an Axxe and a 2600 just for reference. I used to own a Sub Phatty and was suprised how similar in tone Geosynths demo was.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodak View Post
I've been enjoying this thread almost since it was started. One thing I keep wondering - what does "OG" mean? (Original Gear?) I know Karp, Barp, FS, Boog, etc, just hadn't figured that one out.
It means "original gangster". It's a rap term derived from you know, gangsters. Here ppl just mean the original version, usually it's a term of respect as it is in rap.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And Four Loko is back!!!!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just like the Korg Oddy, it's got the three generations of LP filters, the original 12dB filter, the disputed Moog 24dB ladder filter and the final ARP-designed 24db filter. Of these, my clear favourite is the 1st generation 12dB filter. It just sounds so raw and barky, with a real funk vibe. This is the mode my oddy is in most of the time, but it's good to have the option of the other types as well of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I’m quite partial to the OG filter in my Karp. I do have other stuff that does Moog ladder filter though.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
ODYSSEY Apps Configuration tool and firmware updater for Mac Version 1.3.1 14 August 2019
ODYSSEY Apps Configuration tool and firmware updater for Windows Version 1.3.1 14 August 2019

There is an updated configuration tool/ firmware updater @ Behringer website

Edit: Updater works fine with Windows 10 and the newest firmware update is 1.0.7 now
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So, I pre-ordered as soon as Thomann posted it and a couple of weeks later, here it as and my Overview

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I sincerely hope that KB Players appreciate how fortunate we are that we have synths like the Behringer Odyssey and the Korg Minilogue at the selling price we can buy them at in today's world.

The Behringer Odyssey is $499 US. I bought the Arp Odyssey Mk III in 1978 for about $1250 IIRC (it could have been more). In today's dollars that would be over $4900! The Behringer Odyssey looks like a better synth than the Korg version. According to Jamie, the Behringer is more aggressive and a bit brighter!
I think it sounds great!

Mike T.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
I sincerely hope that KB Players appreciate how fortunate we are that we have synths like the Behringer Odyssey and the Korg Minilogue at the selling price we can buy them at in today's world.

The Behringer Odyssey is $499 US. I bought the Arp Odyssey Mk III in 1978 for about $1250 IIRC (it could have been more). In today's dollars that would be over $4900! The Behringer Odyssey looks like a better synth than the Korg version. According to Jamie, the Behringer is more aggressive and a bit brighter!
I think it sounds great!

Mike T.
I understand your perspective and agree with the general gist of it. However from a perspective of a keyboard player, I have a big axe to grind in relation to the Minilogue: mini-keys.

If it wasn't for that, I'd say a fine piece of performing gear.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinakroon View Post
Just like the Korg Oddy, it's got the three generations of LP filters, the original 12dB filter, the disputed Moog 24dB ladder filter and the final ARP-designed 24db filter. Of these, my clear favourite is the 1st generation 12dB filter. It just sounds so raw and barky, with a real funk vibe. This is the mode my oddy is in most of the time, but it's good to have the option of the other types as well of course.
Wow! That's very surprising, given the typical overwhelming respect given to the Moog "ladder".

Very much looking forward to getting a Barp myself, to compare with my Boog, especially the filters. (Maybe next month, after I sell some more stuff on eBay)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I've noticed the white keys on the clone have visible thin horizontal holes. Does anyone know what they are for? I think, I first noticed these holes on the Moog Little Phatty in 2006. DSI Pro 2 keyboard has them too. Old keyboards don't have them. My old Yamaha synth has a felt strip that makes this area look finished.

Personally, I find the holes less than elegant, but on the Odyssey clone these holes are really visible and grating, even when the keys are not pressed.

Seriously, does anyone care about things these days? A complete deal breaker for me, if I'm honest.

Besides, if the Barp sounds more aggressive or brighter than the Karp which was very, very close to the original, then how does this clone nail the sound of the original? My answer - it doesn't. A complete deal breaker #2.

My other criticism is about the overall sound character of this synth. To me, it sounds too heavy and contrived most of the time and although there seem to be a lot of harmonics going, these interactions are not as exciting sonically as on the original Odyssey to me. The overall impression of an Arp Odyssey is not there, in my opinion. I did hear an occasional sweetspot that made me raise my eyebrow, but it's not the same consistent joy of exploration as with the OG.

I know this synth is below £500, but it is marketed as a faithful replica of something in an entirely different price bracket.

Take my opinion with a big pinch of salt, of course, but here I've said it (again).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
So, I pre-ordered as soon as Thomann posted it and a couple of weeks later, here it as and my Overview

Yep I retract my earlier statement - Filter 1 is definitely giving me the vibe I was looking for.
I would have been happy with a unit that just had the REV1 filter myself.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogat0r View Post
I've noticed the white keys on the clone have visible thin horizontal holes. Does anyone know what they are for? I think, I first noticed these holes on the Moog Little Phatty in 2006. DSI Pro 2 keyboard has them too. Old keyboards don't have them. My old Yamaha synth has a felt strip that makes this area look finished.

Personally, I find the holes less than elegant, but on the Odyssey clone these holes are really visible and grating, even when the keys are not pressed.

Seriously, does anyone care about things these days? A complete deal breaker for me, if I'm honest.

Besides, if the Barp sounds more aggressive or brighter than the Karp which was very, very close to the original, then how does this clone nail the sound of the original? My answer - it doesn't. A complete deal breaker #2.
Same with the VC340, no felt covering the key ends. Not much a problem for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Size A View Post
UPS just delivered mine, very nice. I just don’t have time to do it justice yet, I’ve never played with the original either so some learning is required.
Third Behringer synth (out of four) without a UK adapter, my only complaint. Two from Thomann, and one from Gear4music - they both send the white travel adapter when you tell them, which is not an elegant solution.
Thomann send a uk plug with anything that has IEC connection, two units I got this month came with this in a separate bag.

What's worse is when you log into Thomann uk, so they bloody well know before you even give a postcode.

They should send a uk plug anyway IMO regardless , adapters suck , moan to them and ask nicely, maybe they'll sort you out
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz
Same with the VC340, no felt covering the key ends. Not much a problem for me.
Yeah, not criticising Behringer specifically, but many manufacturers have dropped the ball lately in this regard.
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodak View Post
Wow! That's very surprising, given the typical overwhelming respect given to the Moog "ladder".

Very much looking forward to getting a Barp myself, to compare with my Boog, especially the filters. (Maybe next month, after I sell some more stuff on eBay)

This is one thing that has made me think that the Korg, and maybe Behringer filters have a bit of a different sound, honestly.

I have a Mk1 and a Mk3. The Mk3 sounds WAY fatter than the Mk1. The Mk1 is kinda cool for it's high end and squelchiness, but it's night and day in terms of fatness. The Mk3 is way deeper and can get really "mean" sounding. I always assumed the Mk2 "ladder filter" also had a much different character, although I've never heard one. It seems to me, from opinions on the clones, and overwhelming bent towards the Mk1 filter, the difference between these filter modes is a bit more subtle. Maybe that's just because it's using the same internal board.

It's also possible that people just have different tastes and really like a much much brighter, thinner, but squelchy sound, and so that's why they gravitate towards the Mark 1 (for instance, I don't really use resonance all that much in general). Because I also know that the Mk1 was pretty popular for the OGs. I always just thought that was because they never actually heard the drastic difference side by side...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait and see. I don't believe that personally and I've got money on this being a Korg/Karp clone under the hood.

I find the effects section totally unnecessary. Ping Pong & Spread in mono? I'm triggered. That's the kind of Behringer cringe I cannot stand.

From your posts in this thread, buy an original... This clearly isn't for you. I don't really mind if it's a little different, it's miles ahead of the Korg just for having big keys that aren't diving board style.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
I understand your perspective and agree with the general gist of it. However from a perspective of a keyboard player, I have a big axe to grind in relation to the Minilogue: mini-keys.

If it wasn't for that, I'd say a fine piece of performing gear.
The keys are not too small to play. Sausage fingers can be a problem. Maybe I will have to lose some weight and break out the Hanon Studies again. I have been watching some great videos of the Minilogue that show advanced features and plug-ins, its not a toy.

Mike T.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post

Thanks for this. It's a great demo.
What's your verdict? Yay or nay?
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
The keys are not too small to play. Sausage fingers can be a problem. Maybe I will have to lose some weight and break out the Hanon Studies again. I have been watching some great videos of the Minilogue that show advanced features and plug-ins, its not a toy.

Mike T.
A step too far in the wrong direction for me. I don't compromise on keybeds, but each to their own.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle
From your posts in this thread, buy an original... This clearly isn't for you. I don't really mind if it's a little different, it's miles ahead of the Korg just for having big keys that aren't diving board style.
That's what's left for me if I want the ARP Odyssey sound. I cannot accept the Korg's minikeys and prefer the Pratt-Reed keyboard to the one used in Korg FS.

I kind of like the diving board keys on Mark III Odyssey but ideally I'd prefer Mark I.

Now, that I've made my mind about the Barp, I look forward to seeing how Behringer does with their 909 impression. I want to applaud Behringer and write, they nailed it! I really do, just can't do it this time. (I promise, you will not hear from me in that thread if the story repeats, though).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So much fussiness!

I know the Odyssey is a true Icon, like the Minimoog, but come on: for the price this is pure happiness! Or should be.

The differences between MK1 and MK3 are mostly down to the differences between a 12db and 24db filter; this was clear to me during all the discussion here re: the P6 vs. OB6 long ago.

Clearly some are not familiar with that. But on this and the Karp, you have all three! Paradise.

Get on with making some music with it. It can easily be all the mono synth you need.

Last edited by realtrance; 1 week ago at 01:09 AM..
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post

The differences between MK1 and MK3 are mostly down to the differences between a 12db and 24db filter;
I think that's definitely true for the clones. That's how the Voyager is too. Character is basically the same, you're just changing the slope.

But, on the originals, they have a completely different sound altogether. Or, at least, the ones in my studio do!!

I also have other 2 pole filter mono synths, and they all sound different from each other...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
I think that's definitely true for the clones. That's how the Voyager is too. Character is basically the same, you're just changing the slope.

But, on the originals, they have a completely different sound altogether. Or, at least, the ones in my studio do!!

I also have other 2 pole filter mono synths, and they all sound different from each other...
It might be fun to post a comparison of the sounds from all of them, not to start any wars on accuracy, but just to inform on that variety of flavors. I agree, different mono synths can have very different sonorities, and not just because of slope.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
AFAIK that would be Yamaha CS, Oberheim SEM, Arturia Brute and Korg MS. Including the Odyssey, each have their own vibe. Vive le difference!
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
AFAIK that would be Yamaha CS, Oberheim SEM, Arturia Brute and Korg MS. Including the Odyssey, each have their own vibe. Vive le difference!
and Moog voyager in 2 pole mode. There's probably other more boutique VCO monos with 2 pole filters too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Thanks for this. It's a great demo.
What's your verdict? Yay or nay?
It's great, prefer it over the KARP I had.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Now, that I've made my mind about the Barp)
Without touching one..?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by le bouch View Post
Without touching one..?
Cheeky!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search