The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tanzbar 2
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

How does the TB2 compare to the TR8s for live performance / jamming (techno)?
I have an alpha base and Rytm but have been very impressed with the TR8 performances I’ve seen online. The faders and control knobs per instrument seem to allow for a lot of live control that neither the alpha base or rytm are that well suited for. The AB sequencer is quite annoying and I’ve started programming it from ableton. the Rytm has a much better Sequencer but not thrilled with the analog sounds or the live Pergamum W abilities. So I was eyeing up the Tr8 with a view to adding some samples from the AB but then remembered the TB2 had faders and knob per instrument so thought it might be a better alternative. Anyone got both and could shed some light?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbita View Post
How does the TB2 compare to the TR8s for live performance / jamming (techno)?
I have an alpha base and Rytm but have been very impressed with the TR8 performances I’ve seen online. The faders and control knobs per instrument seem to allow for a lot of live control that neither the alpha base or rytm are that well suited for. The AB sequencer is quite annoying and I’ve started programming it from ableton. the Rytm has a much better Sequencer but not thrilled with the analog sounds or the live Pergamum W abilities. So I was eyeing up the Tr8 with a view to adding some samples from the AB but then remembered the TB2 had faders and knob per instrument so thought it might be a better alternative. Anyone got both and could shed some light?
What don't you like about the sequencer on the AB? I was quite disappointed that it only had 2 analog voices so if the sequencer isn't much good either I might give it a miss. The TB2 also seems a ball ache to program from what i've read although at least you get individual volume sliders.

This video gives quite a good idea what it's like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9nLbuvcZE&t=101s

Funny you should say that - i've been watching TR8S and MC707 videos all day trying to work out if it's suitable. Even with those you're still not getting a great deal of hands on live sound-shaping control. Tune, Decay, Volume, Filter. You get way more with the Jomox - is it fast to switch between which drum sound you're controlling? You could get a small mixer and run the Jomox into it to give you volume faders like the TR8S has plus EQ and effect sends. Some have built in reverb and delay effects too.

It's pretty hard to find a live performance sampler or a drum machine that gives you a substantial amount of instant hands on sound sharping control. Elektron Model Samples seems quite good in that respect but it's a similar deal to the Jomox - 1 sound at a time.

One setup I thought might be nice is a polyend SEQ with a Vermona DRM mk3.

Last edited by PeteJames; 3 weeks ago at 01:27 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Haven’t seen any answers on whether the Tanzbar 2 comes with a USA power supply/adapter- can anyone comment on this? Really appreciate it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsyn View Post
Haven’t seen any answers on whether the Tanzbar 2 comes with a USA power supply/adapter- can anyone comment on this? Really appreciate it.
It's a USB PSU only from looking at pictures of the chassis.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
It's a USB PSU only from looking at pictures of the chassis.
Mine came with an 100-240 volts AC to USB mini 5v adapter. But it hummed when the drum machine was off so I ended up using an iPhone charger instead.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear