The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tanzbar 2
Old 17th August 2019
I'm curious if anyone has heard back from MFB on future firmware updates. I'm a previous Tanzbar 1 owner and am really missing that flavor. I also bought a Dominion Club recently but then sold it because I found it buggy... so I'm scared to take the plunge.

Kind of a sidenote, but I was using the new Uno Drum recently, and in a lot of ways it captures the MFB drum machine flavor. Build quality is even worse than the Tanzbar though :P
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niibe View Post
How do you compare the T1 vs the T2? I ask because I am a very happy owner of the Tanzbär 1 and plan to upgrade to the T2 for the more variety of sounds and proper bass synth but I am afraid to lose the vibe of kick and snare from T1 as in demos the analog parts sound very different from T2 to T1. I ask since you had also the T1 for a while.
Owner of a TZB 1. I haven't tried the TZB 2, and no matter what this new version sounds like or does, one thing I can tell you is that I am not about to get rid of my TZB 1 ....

Old 17th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Owner of a TZB 1. I haven't tried the TZB 2, and no matter what this new version sounds like or does, one thing I can tell you is that I am not about to get rid of my TZB 1 ....

Thanks for your spontaneous comment but I asked to Vesa to know an opinion since he has both.
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your spontaneous comment but I asked to Vesa to know an opinion since he has both.
You are welcome.
I was just bringing up my own POV based on my long personal use of the TZB 1 and the ample testimony on the net of owners/users/reviewers of TZB 2, while you were awaiting the response to your question ....

Old 17th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
You are welcome.
I was just bringing up my own POV based on my long personal use of the TZB 1 and the ample testimony on the net of owners/users/reviewers of TZB 2, while you were awaiting the response to your question ....

Thanks, here is so nice to get comments/advices. I love my TZB 1 a lot (expecially the raw unique tones of hh e cy) and the only reason I could plan to swap to TZB2 is that it seems strange that at MFB they made it wrong this time, this is why I was asking to someone who has both.
Old 19th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Guys,

Bought the Tanzbar2 a week ago and started to jam with it and try to understand how it works. Im loving it so far, programming and stuff but then i started to think about recording it in ableton.

And here comes the pain as it's my first hardware drum machine so i may not have the full knowledge about setup.

Anyway i have a midi cable going out of my keylab and going in my Tanzbar for midi clock. And a audio cable going out of my T2 to 2 mono cable in my audio interface.

When i hit play on ableton, the tanzbar starts to read the sequence so perfect. but it lags... i mean it read like 2 bars then stop for 1 sec, then continue like it's "buffering".

I wanted to create an audio channel for each instrument and then mute all others so i can record separately but i can't even record 1 instrument cause of this "buffering".

I have the 1.5 update and if the tanzbar is used in "standalone" (meaning no ableton triggering) it functions perfectly.

Anyone had this kind of issue before with this or another piece of gear ? if you have any other recommended setup i would be happy to hear it (my Audio interface has only 4 inputs)

Thanks a lot
Old 20th August 2019
Quote:
Thanks, here is so nice to get comments/advices. I love my TZB 1 a lot (expecially the raw unique tones of hh e cy) and the only reason I could plan to swap to TZB2 is that it seems strange that at MFB they made it wrong this time, this is why I was asking to someone who has both.
I decided to take the plunge, found a cheaper B-Stock one on Thomann. I'll report back when it comes in.
Old 22nd August 2019
Here for the gear

Be careful with Thomann. I ordered a B-stock Tanz 2 from them and the poor thing arrived non-functioning out of the box with gouges in the finish, and a loose side panel (the box it was shipped in was in-tact). It was a nightmare. I just ordered a new Tanz 2 from Juno Records (for the same price Thomann seems to sell their B-stock units). Good luck on your unit! Fingers crossed!
Old 22nd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchbaie View Post
Be careful with Thomann. I ordered a B-stock Tanz 2 from them and the poor thing arrived non-functioning out of the box with gouges in the finish, and a loose side panel (the box it was shipped in was in-tact). It was a nightmare. I just ordered a new Tanz 2 from Juno Records (for the same price Thomann seems to sell their B-stock units). Good luck on your unit! Fingers crossed!
Oh yea I may have gone that route too if I had seen it, tho with shipping the total was ~30 cheaper still. Hopefully won't be a disaster!
Old 28th August 2019
Looks like there is new firmware out, up to 1.07 now. Dated August 23rd. USB midi clock receive! Glad to see there are still updates happening.

Quote:
v1.06

- USB Midi improved
- MIDI Clock Receive in USB Midi added

v1.07

- Midi CCs for Midi Tracks could not be changed - fixed
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Maniac
It's such a pity MFB can't make a good UI. Their stuff sounds amazing. Why oh why don't they hire someone to make a UI that's easy to work with. Please leave out all the extra stuff like unnecessary synthvoices and sampled voices. Just give us the analog goodness and a way to work with it without looking for the manual everytime you turn it on or try to tweak it.

Tanzbar 1 was fantastic, just sold it to buy a Vermona DRM because I only used it with the sequencer bypassed and I was still having trouble getting to the hidden functions for some sounds. Godawful design. fantastic sound, that's MFB for me. (must say Dominion1 has a better UI but still far from ideal)
Old 28th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodog View Post
It's such a pity MFB can't make a good UI. Their stuff sounds amazing. Why oh why don't they hire someone to make a UI that's easy to work with. Please leave out all the extra stuff like unnecessary synthvoices and sampled voices. Just give us the analog goodness and a way to work with it without looking for the manual everytime you turn it on or try to tweak it.

Tanzbar 1 was fantastic, just sold it to buy a Vermona DRM because I only used it with the sequencer bypassed and I was still having trouble getting to the hidden functions for some sounds. Godawful design. fantastic sound, that's MFB for me. (must say Dominion1 has a better UI but still far from ideal)
The Tanzbar/Tanzbar2 interface makes a lot of sense to me as someone who uses its internal sequencer. It has a lot of 1-knob-per-function functionality which is crucial to live performance, while also having a lot of additional functionality for use during sequence programming. I agree that the midi implementation is somewhat an afterthought and not everything is accessible, also the interface is definitely quirky and kludgey some of the time. But I find it way more immediate than using Elektron gear for example.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Yes, I gave up on Elektron ages ago. The UI is even worse plus I'm not loving the Elektron sound. Personal opinion of course!
Old 29th August 2019
I'm sad there looks to be no way edit steps in step-mode without resetting all knob values changed live. I really want per-step params but also want to tweak quickly live... I may end up using manual edit mode and the LFOs for variation (wait no.. that won't work, manual mode doesn't have any knob memory). It wouldn't bug me much if knob-record worked for all knobs not just the selected instrument.

I know this was also frustrating with the Tanzbar 1, but its been a while. If I remember right the "Jam Mode" on the Tanz 1 was a bit more forgiving.
Old 30th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatija View Post
• When not editing any instrument, I might wanna make a change to some parameter and then either go back to what's recorded (by pressing MAN TRG/RECORD) or actually save it across bars (by pressing SHIFT + INST/SEL). That works fine for knobs and DATA 1/2, but you cannot do it for DATA 3/4 - you will hear the change while you hold it and try values but it will be lost as soon as you let go.
This was the command I was looking for! Its frustrating that it doesn't work for DATA 3/4, but I thought it didn't exist at all so I'm glad for it at least. I looked in vain to find this in the manual, still not sure if its even in there...
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

I have my new Tanzbar 2 for a few days now and LOVE the sound. It's fun to play too. It is quite cryptic to get to know well and I've come across some of the bugs that other diligent owners have reported here.

One bug I didn't notice mentioned is that you can't seem to live record notes in banks C and D. It works fine for me in A and B (though there was 1 time this evening when I couldn't seem to record my live triggering in bank B either, and I did make sure I was in manual mode, rather than step mode).

Also, is there any way to record live playing of the roll feature?

So, to clarify my understanding of the modes:

Manual mode, for jamming with live triggering and (should) record the trigs you play in realtime (when you set realtime record notes to yes). Also used for rolls and flams and accents

Step mode, well, record steps on a track by track basis. Parameter lock.

I'm not quite sure yet how changing modes affects parameter locks or knob recording, though I have successfully managed to do both, and I've noticed changes when jumping between modes, changing banks.

I've only clocked up around 3 hours on it so far, but it is a fun, great sounding instrument. I'd say it would be cool to play live - once I'm aware of the bugs and modes.
Old 13th September 2019
Tanz2 Thoughts

After using this a few weeks and playing a show, I thought I'd give my thoughts on the Tanzbar 2 (as a previous Tanzbar 1 owner):

Good:
  • The kicks yo. The kicks. Kick 1 is cleaner than the Tanz 1, which is overall better as I already run enough distortions to dirty it up. You may want a high-pass filter and compressor available for it because its always huge.
  • Filtered digital voices are great. Bitcrush is solid. These will get a lot of mileage. I do wish they had more params (start point, looping, attack) and the sample management is a pain... but hella nice still.
  • The synth! Sure you can't edit your sequence but its such a nice addition. Sounds great, can be just bassy or very raw.
  • I find the interface easier than the 1st overall. The screen is helpful at times for sure.
  • The choice of dedicated knobs is pretty solid. I would have liked a tune for BD2 but its ok.
  • Bar sequencing is definitely useful. And each track seems to progress based upon its own polymeter, so you can make some pretty wild sequences.

Neutral
  • Build quality is good overall! I'm pretty sure I could have twisted my Tanz 1 in half. That being said the buttons take a bit extra effort to click (If they don't break in I may solder better ones in, those are usually an easy fix). Also the sliders have sharp edges! I may take a fine-grain sandpaper to smooth them
  • As previously said the main out runs quiet for headphones. Probably cuz it runs on usb 0.5A. Not a problem plugged into a mixer or headphone preamp tho.
  • Sliders light to up highlight mute, I wish it was the other way around or toggleable
  • LFO destinations are limited to tune for many of the instruments. Also tied to lfo trigs so no free-running lfos. But still very useful for programming. This is a good way to add variation to the synth track after you've set notes, very live-jammable.
  • I really got sick of the Tanz 1 hats, so not sad to see them go. I like the digi hats but both could have been nice. Old clap was also cool but I often had trouble placing it in my mix.
  • Hat programming has gotten better but also worse. For the two sets of choke tracks you can see the trigs for the other track. And with that you can't place a OH and CH trig on the same step. But for polymeter it means you are limited in the sequences you can do...

Problems
  • Knobs jitter, obvious for the data knobs. Really annoying. But in most cases not huge. But sometimes I think it causes me to lose my tune automation when I select trigs.
  • No infinite decay. Just cuts out after a bit over a bar (not very graceful either). I'm pretty sure it's a software thing, for me so much of the character of the Tanzbar 1 was layering infinite decay drones under beats. I made up for it by running a drone outside my Tanzbar 2.
  • Weirdness with bar transitions. Sometimes instruments lag to start up? Not quite sure when it happens (maybe lfo related)
  • Some of the samples have very clicky attacks. Some just were trimmed badly and I cleaned them up and reimported. Also sample tracks can be clicky when retriggered mid-cycle.
  • No volume sliders for the pure digi sounds (besides hats). I find myself not using the mutes because the sliders are so immediate, but then not being able to control everything causes issues. And you can't even control the levels on these via MIDI unless I'm missing something. I may end up ignoring these sample tracks most of the time.
  • My power supply buzzes, especially when the synth is off (in the USA). Soon I'll try a different usb power supply.
  • Most of the other bugs people have mentioned I've also run into. Hopefully some more of them will get fixed or maybe they'll open source the firmware (don't hold ur breath tho).

Overall I agree that the Tanzbar 2 feels somewhat unfinished, but it also adds so much that I had wanted with my Tanzbar 1 that I'll hold onto it for sure.
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the writeup, my experiences are similar.

I still have a unconnected knob (CH decay) that I would like to fix. It shipped unsoldered, or at least the solder failed is my guess. The MIDI recieve for the same function works perfectly.

I could ship it back to Thomann but it's honestly not worth the hassle and downtime and money to send it all the way back to Europe for repair.

Unfortunately, none of the shops in LA will take the machine. Various reasons but mostly the issue seems to be that MFB will not provide schematics to them.

I may attempt it myself, I have okay soldering iron experience but it's been a while. There are only four bolts holding the case together, so I may just pop it open and see if there are any obvious flaws with the pot connection.
Old 20th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys,

I'm having the following problem:
I use an Octatrack as the center of my setup and send midi clock from the Octatrack to the Tanzbar2 so that it stays in sync with all my machines. The problem is that when I have midi sequences going out of my Octatrack (which are meant to go to my other machines like my analog synthesizers) they also go into the Tanzbar triggering, for instance, the Synth and/or the Kick in the TB. I only want my TB to receive midi clock so it stays in sync but nothing else. Anyone know how to set this up in the TB? I have already tried configuring all the options in the midi menus and still haven't figured it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 21st September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumanotpuma View Post
Hey guys,

I use an Octatrack as the center of my setup and send midi clock from the Octatrack to the Tanzbar2 so that it stays in sync with all my machines. The problem is that when I have midi sequences going out of my Octatrack (which are meant to go to my other machines like my analog synthesizers) they also go into the Tanzbar triggering, for instance, the Synth and/or the Kick in the TB. I only want my TB to receive midi clock so it stays in sync but nothing else. Anyone know how to set this up in the TB? I have already tried configuring all the options in the midi menus and still haven't figured it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I don't think there is a way to completely disable responding to notes in the Tanz 2. Your two options I see are to either turn off note transmission on the octatrack or use the midi-learn to map the tanzbar notes to a channel/notes that your octatrack isn't transmitting.
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Head

Try using midi learn and picking notes at the extreme ends of the scale to avoid picking anything your sequences might be using. Avoid using midi channel 1 on your external gear because the Tb2 synth will pick that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumanotpuma View Post
Hey guys,

Old 25th September 2019
Gear Nut
Does this puppy come with a US 110V compatible power adapter?
Old 25th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave way View Post
Try using midi learn and picking notes at the extreme ends of the scale to avoid picking anything your sequences might be using. Avoid using midi channel 1 on your external gear because the Tb2 synth will pick that up.
Thanks! I noticed I had an older firmware version and updated to the latest. I was able to get rid of the incoming midi signal from triggering the kick and everything else except for the synth, which no matter what keeps on being triggered when sending notes via midi channel 1. My solution was to restrain from sending any midi from the octatrack on channel 1 and setting all my other machines to receive midi from channel 2 and up.
The synth being triggered with channel 1 is actually useful, since I’m now sequencing it with my octatrack instead of using the sequencer on the tanzbar2, which doesn’t let you edit the sequence and it can be frustrating to use particularly on the synth.
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Hi guys! I'm considering jumping the gun on a TB2. Have most of the issues mentioned earlier in this thread been fixed by now, or are there still a lot of problems with this lovely blue box? If it's just a few bugs here and there, that's fine, but if it's riddled with issues, so much so that it really detracts from the whole experience of using it (which really is the main point of hardware anyways), I might look elsewhere..

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladlus View Post
Hi guys! I'm considering jumping the gun on a TB2. Have most of the issues mentioned earlier in this thread been fixed by now, or are there still a lot of problems with this lovely blue box? If it's just a few bugs here and there, that's fine, but if it's riddled with issues, so much so that it really detracts from the whole experience of using it (which really is the main point of hardware anyways), I might look elsewhere..

Thanks!
My two cents: I've had it since the first week it came out. I've updated the firmware a few times, not even sure if mine is fully current but I find it absolutely worth it. I'll admit I haven't done any complex MIDI connections beyond sending out a clock but it's a solid beast. If you plan to use it for live performance be aware that the power plug in is a slim USB that could be easily pulled out if not careful. I bought a 2nd hand USB which seems a tad thicker, or at least has a bit of a 'snap' when plugged into the unit. The somewhat exposed LCD screen is a bit weird but could also be seen as boutique shop underdog nerdism. Enjoy.
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
My two cents: I've had it since the first week it came out. I've updated the firmware a few times, not even sure if mine is fully current but I find it absolutely worth it. I'll admit I haven't done any complex MIDI connections beyond sending out a clock but it's a solid beast. If you plan to use it for live performance be aware that the power plug in is a slim USB that could be easily pulled out if not careful. I bought a 2nd hand USB which seems a tad thicker, or at least has a bit of a 'snap' when plugged into the unit. The somewhat exposed LCD screen is a bit weird but could also be seen as boutique shop underdog nerdism. Enjoy.
Thank you - the gun has been jumped! Thomann B-stock. Let's hope it arrives in one piece.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still have a unconnected knob (CH decay) that I would like to fix. It shipped unsoldered, or at least the solder failed is my guess.
Quote:
I don't think there is a way to completely disable responding to notes in the Tanz 2.
Quote:
the power plug in is a slim USB

This is garbage. I wish people would not pay these insane prices for such junk. Every day I'm happier and happier with my decision to move to software.
Quote:

It's such a pity MFB can't make a good UI.
They are nerds with zero concept of user experience. The Tanzmaus and Tanzbar Lite do not have a dedicated PLAY button ffs. Let's just ponder that for a minute....
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladlus View Post

Thanks!

Don't listen to the clowns who don't even own one complaining about it- they can't afford it so they trash it, which is typical of 'whiners'.

It sounds totally amazing. I've not seen a bug besides one I encountered when i accidentally discovered it does sound locks on each step. If you follow the manual, you won't have any problems at all.
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Nut

I admit I always wanted one but some of the bugs and problems and lack of support worried me. Nice to hear someone saying just get the dang thing it's awesome!
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhonma View Post
I admit I always wanted one but some of the bugs and problems and lack of support worried me. Nice to hear someone saying just get the dang thing it's awesome!
Seriously, it's worth every dollar. The drum synthesis is off the hook. I love my Tanzie
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear