The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

What about rack mount guitars and violins?

Maybe a bank of rackmount harmonicas, or maybe bagpipes?
Old 12th August 2018
Deleted User
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
That's freakin' cool. Heavy duty knobs and such. Very industrial and minimalist.
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
That's the Harvey 808 rackmount. I think Studio Electronics did it if I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's basically the guts of an original TR808 placed in a rackmount enclosure with midi added. I used to see these on ebay from time to time (rarely though).

It's similar to what Studio Electronics did when they converted the Minimoog and Prophet 5 to rackmount modules.

BTW: Why does Gearslutz sometimes strip away brand names or models from my posts when I go back to edit them? Then I have to go back and re-add them. Urrgh!!!!! Someone at Gearslutz needs to please fix this.
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

yeh, I did a websearch and the webpage the pik come from is still available. The mfr is just visible in the lower right corner, as you say Studioelectronics, again a web search brings this item up. All this leads me to the question, how many TR808 clones do we need? It seems people could be rejecting the Roland TR08 coz it's a digital-virtual job, but there still seems to be so many alternatives.
Old 12th August 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
That's the Harvey 808 rackmount. I think Studio Electronics did it if I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong).
yes you are correct. i posted this because drum machines with sequencers are possible in rackmount form whether modified from existing ones or new.
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
For the cost of the TR8-S you can get this AND the Impact. That's my plan.
Although the TR-8S can pay samples.. I can't decide if the time taken to load and edit samples into a drum machine with kill the inspiration, but the time spent building a unique set of drum sounds on the 8S could be worth it in the long run. Just wish the sequencer on the 8S was more interesting.
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Although the TR-8S can pay samples.. I can't decide if the time taken to load and edit samples into a drum machine with kill the inspiration, but the time spent building a unique set of drum sounds on the 8S could be worth it in the long run. Just wish the sequencer on the 8S was more interesting.
Also, the effects on the TR8S are interesting. However, I own the original TR-8 and I'm wondering if the additional ACB 808 snare model on the TR8S sounds closer to the original (or better tan the one one my TR8). I'd have to hear it in person. Also, I'm not too pleased with the TR8 ACB 808 clap either, unless that was also improved on the "S." At least with the TR8S, the crappy sounding (to me) ACB 808 hats and cymbal can be replaced with much better sounding samples from a real 808.

On the otherhand, the Behringer RD808 is REAL analog and has MUCH better sounding hats, a decent sounding kick, and with a few tweaks on some of the other sounds (like the clap for example ), will probably nail the 808 sound for a fraction of the price of the TR8S (if you're just buying the "S" purely for 808 sounds), giving the TR8S a run for it's own money 808-wise.
Old 14th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Thanks for your excellent comment and please allow me to share some thoughts.

Since we started designing synths and heavily engaging with customers on forums such as GS, we have discovered two very different and opposing camps.

1.) Authenticity. This is a very large customer base that focuses on the authenticity of analog legacy synths. They don't want any changes to the original product, let alone modern features. While Midi is just accepted, added FX and topics such as "Virtual Analog" etc. are a no go.
Ideally these customers want aged components, faded paint and the smell of old PCB's. I am saying this with great respect and in the most sincere manner as we humans are driven 95% by emotions. It's the same reason why vinyl records experience such a strong comeback. I personally belong to this group:-)

2.) Repeatability. These are modern music producers and often stage musicians who need instant and predictable sound results. People here are less into experimental music but they produce music often for a living. Here aspects of analog versus digital play a lesser role - however time management and predictability are critical factors.

From a technical point of view, introducing patch memory to a legacy synth, will substantially alter the circuitry which not only challenges the emotional aspect of point 1 but also most definitely changes the sound of the unit.

We absolutely value both customers and while my personal heart beats for 1, we have also listened to the modern user and designed the DeepMind synthesizer, which has every bell and whistle modern users desire, while retaining the analog touch and feel.

Our Vision is to heavily focus on analog legacy synths but also have a different design team to focus on innovation.

It's an exciting time and we always welcome engineers to apply - and we're looking for lots of people. If you love synths and you're an expert in analog and digital systems design, embedded Software, DSP or FPGA technology, please send me a PM.

Uli
Hi Uli,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice answer. Quiet refreshing to see a manufacturer/company be so closely in touch with it's customers.

I totally understand the point, and to be honest, an 808 might be tempting enough for me to at least try it out, even if it doesn't have any memory.

I do hope there will be an analog drum machine that includes presets. I guess I'll just hope the RD-999 will combine some things from category 1 and 2
Old 14th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
It's similar to what Studio Electronics did when they converted the Minimoog and Prophet 5 to rackmount modules.
Yeah, basically Studio Electronics started off as the company that would take classic synthesizers that are now highly collectible, hack them up and put them in a rackmount enclosure Sure, the SE pieces sort of have a special value of their own, but they will never be as valuable as the originals.

MIDIMoog, Obie Rack, Obie Eight, P-Five, Harvey 808
What else was there? I think I am missing one.
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Personally I'd opt for a Digitakt or Octatrack MKII for playing samples. Hell I can do that with my Novation Circuit.

But for my taste I'd want the immediacy of jamming on my drum machine to bang out some good beats. But then again I really have a thing for hardware drum and beat machines.

Although I'm adding the Octa MKII in December, it will be eventually getting the following as playmates in no particular order:

DFAM
Arturia DrumBrute Impact
Soma PULSAR-23 Organismic Drum Machine
Analog Rytm MKII
Beringer RD808
Arturia MiniBrute 2S

Will get one of these bad boys in November, haven't decided which one yet.
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
yes but imagine the push is a drum machine with sounds inside it, then it's the same thing no..? a device sitting on your desktop that you play, what's the diff..?
it doesn't sit on my desktop, its in a rack. the only thing i have on my desktop is a push, and midi keyboard, and mouse and keyboard. and its about all I have room for. and the push is doing quadruple duty, daw / transport control, synth sequncer, drum sequencer. everything else is in racks, and while I have maybe room on the desk for a few boxes, I have plenty of rackspace to expand into.

wait that wasn't really my point... more the whole "you might as well use a ROMpler" part, and that there is only one definition of what a drum machine should be. Like why bother being stuck on that? seems sort of foolish to me.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenway View Post
It’s not an 808....

they know the reality of what they can actually deliver for this price is never going to match up to the perfect 808 reissue for pocket change that people are imagining,*

Yeah, that comment will be just like one of countless on Youtube videos trying to convince themselves of the same thing, while the rest of us enjoy the sound we couldn't previously afford... I am sure there will be people with oscilloscopes pointing out the tiny diffrences in the waveforms, that only they can hear.

And, even if you can hear the difference, this machine will sound just as good and will be a joy to use... based on what we have seen both with the Neutron and the Model D, I see no reason to expect anything less.

I am sure those concerned about their vintage 808 losing value will survive this crisis... most of them are already loaded and don't even know how much gear they have.

Deal with it, or just suck it down. Sell that 808 now to some other collector if you're worried.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-h808.jpg  
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Although I'm adding the Octa MKII in December, it will be eventually getting the following as playmates in no particular order:
Analog Rytm MKII

You might want to have a look at the elektron forums at the amounts of people reporting major hardware and firmware issues with the AR mk2. That overpriced thing (sampling! whoa....) is as dodgy as a used car salesman.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Yeah, that comment will be just like one of countless on Youtube videos trying to convince themselves of the same thing, while the rest of us enjoy the sound we couldn't previously afford... I am sure there will be people with oscilloscopes pointing out the tiny diffrences in the waveforms, that only they can hear.

And, even if you can hear the difference, this machine will sound just as good and will be a joy to use... based on what we have seen both with the Neutron and the Model D, I see no reason to expect anything less.

I am sure those concerned about their vintage 808 losing value will survive this crisis... most of them are already loaded and don't even know how much gear they have.

Deal with it, or just suck it down. Sell that 808 now to some other collector if you're worried.
I don't think the release of the RD808 will hurt the value of the original TR808 by Roland, even if the RD808 sounds 80%-90% close to the original. The Acidlab Miami, 8Raw8, and Yocto as well as other clones didn't seem to affect the value of the original TR808.

The truth is, there are only so many original TR808s still in existence (only about 12,000 units were made) and chances are Roland is never going to reissue (remanufacture) the original analog TR808 (or any of their vintage instruments for that matter) in the same way Moog did with their Model D Minimoog.

I think the second-hand prices of the original will continue to climb if anything.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally I'd opt for a Digitakt or Octatrack MKII for playing samples. Hell I can do that with my Novation Circuit.

But for my taste I'd want the immediacy of jamming on my drum machine to bang out some good beats. But then again I really have a thing for hardware drum and beat machines.

DFAM
Arturia DrumBrute Impact
Soma PULSAR-23 Organismic Drum Machine
Analog Rytm MKII
Beringer RD808
Arturia MiniBrute 2S

Will get one of these bad boys in November, haven't decided which one yet.
We've got some Elektron stuff in the studio so I'll have a play and see if I like the workflow; not been sure about that yet so far as it seems more menu-heavy than the TR8S or Arturia approach. Immediacy and jamming to make interesting beats is the key reason for me using hardware too, particularly if the beats can be tweaked on computer afterwards to make the sounds more original or to trigger samples.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Guru

You know what's funny is second hand original 808's and 909's have probably traded hands between people for more money than Roland ever made selling them when they were new.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You might want to have a look at the elektron forums at the amounts of people reporting major hardware and firmware issues with the AR mk2. That overpriced thing (sampling! whoa....) is as dodgy as a used car salesman.
Thanks for the warning. I'll look into it.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I admire your optimism.

Although I’m not necessarily predicting that it won’t sound good, we don’t know that yet either way, what I am saying is that it’s clear even now that the amount of changes are such that it’s not “an 808”. Cheap, 808 inspired analogue drum machine? Sure. But that’s not as good a marketing line as “100% 808 replica for $400” is it? In reality, the Drumbrute is a more realistic reference point.

Quote:
Neutron and DeepMind both sound bad imho, never used a “Boog” but it seems fine based on user feedback ... albeit a much simpler circuit than what’s at issue here. But hey, everyone’s entitled to their own taste.

Also where exactly are you getting “joy to use” from, we have no idea at this point what its interface or sequencer will end up coming out like.

Quote:

Meh, I use samples, the Roland Cloud plugins and a TR-09 when I want classic Roland sounds and I doubt very much that this is going to do anything to change that. Great if it does though, looking forward to seeing more concrete details and demos.

Mainly, I really don’t get why B*******r stans have to declare every single brain fart they come out with as an unmitigated triumph months, potentially years, before the final box is likely to be widely available. Looks like it might be cool, maybe it will be. Let’s wait and see.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Also, as a long time Rytm MK1 owner, I’ve had no significant issues whatsoever. Best sequencer on any drum machine I’ve used. Would easily recommend getting one.

Can’t speak specifically to the MKII, but as a long time Elekronauts member, I tend to take a lot of the complaining on that forum with a massive pinch of salt. Plus Elektron have always been really good with updates, both fixes and new features, so based on experience I’d expect any software issues to get sorted before too long.

You might want to wind it in a bit here, tbh.
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

Don't know if this has been posted but I'm just gonna leave this here

Paul Barker on Instagram: “Hey Uli, ****s about to get REal #re808”
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quuz View Post

Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Roland you suck*

* from a Roland fan too
Old 17th August 2018
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quuz View Post

Real expensive
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

that's going to be very interesting.

whatever happened to the ML-808?
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

But in the linked IG thread he/Paul says it's still in his head. How is it "about to get real" if there isn't even a working prototype yet?

No disrespect to Paul/DinSync, he's mega talented and I love his euro 303 VCF, but doesn't that seem a bit premature to be taunting?

Also, DinSync gear is sweet, but there's no way a product of his can compete with the price point Behringer or similarly sized operations can offer.
@ uli said they're shooting for at/under $400... a single DinSync module is almost that much loot. It's like comparing hand built race cars to factory Toyotas.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear
Industry, disrupted
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
But in the linked IG thread he/Paul says it's still in his head. How is it "about to get real" if there isn't even a working prototype yet?

No disrespect to Paul/DinSync, he's mega talented and I love his euro 303 VCF, but doesn't that seem a bit premature to be taunting?

Also, DinSync gear is sweet, but there's no way a product of his can compete with the price point Behringer or similarly sized operations can offer.
@ uli said they're shooting for at/under $400... a single DinSync module is almost that much loot. It's like comparing hand built race cars to factory Toyotas.
Sure they Will be in different Price brackets, for example a complete re303 runa bout 600 eur (pcb, components, case).
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Guru

Fair play Paul, bit gutted as I thought the 606 would have been here first as apparently been on the burn for so long but I suppose the social media drive and the heat is on the 808 train so it makes sense for a business, of course I'm not sure it's going to be any sort of a comparison or a customer divider as one will cost about a grand in parts so you'll need to be up on your skills or pay a builder and the other will be about 400 fully built with a 3 year guarantee.....

Can't wait to hear that Paul's version will be better

Its a big call to shout, does seem like riding piggy back on the Uli train just like with the whole CEM war thing.

Yes I know before somebody calls me on piggy back.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

Can't wait to hear that Paul's version will be better
Why LOL?

I own his DrumDokta² eurorack module (Dr. Rhythm clone) and it sounds fantastic. Dead on, actually. More than I can say for the Behringer 808 examples I've heard so far.
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Addict

Hey Behringer, if your RD-999 or whatever you come up with later would be similar in form factor to a Novation DrumStation, it would be the bees knees. But assuming you want to have some sort of larger-ish display and ofc a buttonized, easy access sequencer in there, i'll have to keep harbouring my dream. Image f.e. the JoMox AirBase 99, but w/ more knobs. Winner. For me, at least. Btw either the 99 or the DS will be next on my list, because of said form factor. Having a separate sequencer in a couple of units may be nice for the play & fun factor, as it is nice just backing up one device with ALL the used patterns / controller curves for ALL devices. A.k.a. the DAW / HW sequencer.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear