The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd June 2018
Lives for gear

bravo guys BUT surely it is about time for some up to date demos of the 808 in question?

Come on @Uli Behringer get the boys on here with some audio or video to start fanning the flames
Old 23rd June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
bravo guys BUT surely it is about time for some up to date demos of the 808 in question?

Come on @Uli Behringer get the boys on here with some audio or video to start fanning the flames
yes, let's compare!
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
A BD decay mod can be done by swapping 1 capacitor if you ever get into Miami Bass.
but what i would like to know... will it 'growl'? or will it stay a clean sine?
because that's what the main difference seems to be with clones (BD) so far.
Old 29th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post
but what i would like to know... will it 'growl'? or will it stay a clean sine?
because that's what the main difference seems to be with clones (BD) so far.
I’m pretty sure mine has the decay mod from how it reacts when hits overlap. The kick voice is on the verge of self oscillating when the mod is present and overlapping hits get the kick really close to self oscillating. I did the kick decay mod on a previous 808 because even at full tilt the decay was very short. Less than half a second. Iirc the mod isn’t a capacitor change but is adding a~330k resistor on the back of the board. http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufa...and.tuning.txt

I did this exact mod and it worked well.
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
I’m pretty sure mine has the decay mod from how it reacts when hits overlap. The kick voice is on the verge of self oscillating when the mod is present and overlapping hits get the kick really close to self oscillating. I did the kick decay mod on a previous 808 because even at full tilt the decay was very short. Less than half a second. Iirc the mod isn’t a capacitor change but is adding a~330k resistor on the back of the board. http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufa...and.tuning.txt

I did this exact mod and it worked well.
the og 808 will. just wondering if any of the clones will. not talking about just longer decay but the added saturation it seems when accent is present or when overlapping. the service manual explains it a little i remember.
Old 1st July 2018
Lives for gear
If you Re-Trigger the bass drum before the decay has finished it does this some pretty interesting things ranging from a driving resonance to abrupt silence, it’s odd but part of the charm.
Old 2nd July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
If you Re-Trigger the bass drum before the decay has finished it does this some pretty interesting things ranging from a driving resonance to abrupt silence, it’s odd but part of the charm.

robin whittle explains:

Quote:
We can imagine the BD circuit being a sine-wave almost resonant
oscillator, which is altered in three ways when a trigger pulse arrives.

1 - The C40, R163, R162 and D53 circuit provides a positive pulse
to the BD's resonator amplifier's positive input (IC12 pin 1).

This, in the absence of any other stimulus or current oscillation
will cause the circuit to oscillate, starting with a positive
sine-like cycle starting at the time of the trigger pulse.

2 - Q41 shorts out C38 which means Q42 turns off and remains off until
R156 charges up C38 enough, after the end of the 1msec trigger
pulse, to turn Q42 on again. During this time, Q43 is off, so
R165 is shorted out, giving a higher resonant frequency.

3 - There's a very small (0.6 volts, due to D52 turning on) kick to
the system via C39 and R161 when Q42 turns on, and a big kick in
the opposite direction when it turns off (which depends on R156,
C38, the gain of Q42, the temperature of Q42 and the precise
value of Jupiter's gravitational influence on all these
components).

Overall, we can think of this as a temporary switch of resonance
frequency to a much higher frequency plus two sources of energy which
drive the system to ring afterwards - to create a sinusoidal signal of
decreasing amplitude, just like the resonance of a simple drum.

If the system is not resonating at all - it has no sinusoidal change
going on (that is, it is silent) - then when we get a trigger pulse of a
given amplitude (5V normally, but up to about 14V for an accented beat)
then we will get a completely predictable ringing waveform thereafter.
The amplitude of this ringing waveform will always be the same from one
beat to the next - *provided* we allow enough time between the trigger
pulses for the resonance to decay to "zero". In fact, it never decays
to absolute zero - but if we let it decay so far that we can't hear it,
which means it is, say, 1/1000 the amplitude it was at the start of the
note.

*However* if, when the circuit is still resonating, we give it another
trigger pulse, then what will happen?

It depends on:

1 - The amplitude of the trigger pulse.

2 - The exact part of the cycle the circuit is at in its nearly
self-resonant decay.

For the sake of simplicity, I will ignore the frequency change which
follows the trigger pulse. We can imagine the trigger pulse being a
single, simple, thing which puts "positive" energy into the nearly
self-resonant circuit, of let's say "1 volt". That is: if the trigger
pulse arrived when there was no self-oscillation, then the system would
ring with a 1V peak (2V peak to peak) sine-wave which then decays at
some rate.

Now let's consider two situations when the trigger pulse arrives when
the circuit is still resonating from a previous trigger pulse:

A: The trigger pulse arrives when the circuit is at a +0.3V peak.

B: The trigger pulse arrives when the circuit is at a -0.3V peak.

Broadly speaking, what will result, is a new "note", with the following
characteristics:

A: 1.3 volt peak. This is louder than the first note.

B: 0.7 volt peak. This is quieter than the first note.

So the variations in volume, softer and louder, which appear in Justin's
recording are due to the trigger pulse arriving at various times in the
oscillation. The trigger pulse is always the same (except of course if
accented notes are used, which I guess is the case in this recording)
but in the B case, the trigger pulse's energy went into quenching the
oscillation, whereas in the A case, it added to the existing energy, and
resulted in a louder note than usual.
Analogue Heaven - TR-808 Bass Drum has variable punch & decay
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

What's the word on this? No new news since Superbooth. According to the Sonic State interview, they were "1-2 months away from mass production," and this was back in May. And was an official price ever announced? I remember promises of "lower than you would think" but don't remember any firm numbers. I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm interested in this.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
What's the word on this? No new news since Superbooth. According to the Sonic State interview, they were "1-2 months away from mass production," and this was back in May. And was an official price ever announced? I remember promises of "lower than you would think" but don't remember any firm numbers. I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm interested in this.
One month from today is 8-08 what if they have been making and warehousing them so they can be released on 8-08 and have thousands ready to be delivered?
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
One month from today is 8-08 what if they have been making and warehousing them so they can be released on 8-08 and have thousands ready to be delivered?
I'd love to live in your fantasyland.

It's a remote possibility, but somehow I think we'd hear a few more saber rattles from Uli. He does like to scare the crap out his competitors.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

All I can say is I can’t wait!
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

When we introduced the drum machine at super booth, people requested more features such as bass drum tuning etc. As usual we listened and added these features, however I also mentioned in this thread that this will delay the project for a few months.

Thanks for your patience.

Uli
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
When we introduced the drum machine at super booth, people requested more features such as bass drum tuning etc. As usual we listened and added these features, however I also mentioned in this thread that this will delay the project for a few months.

Uli
Are you able/willing to confirm whether or not tuning will be added to anything else beyond the Bass Drum?

Thanks.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Uli
Totally worth the wait.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Are you able/willing to confirm whether or not tuning will be added to anything else beyond the Bass Drum?

Thanks.
dood, sounds like you're interrogating poor Uli! Tell us or else.. the gallows!
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
As usual we listened and added these features, ...
How about an official statement about the still missing android editor for the Deepmind 12 and what about all the unanswered user feature requests on the "official" Deepmind 12 forum?
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
i am sure they said in every video they would be available at some point toward the end of 2018 as with the 101 and pro1 that they announced at SB
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear
We don't need more features. Just the basic 808 with MIDI. All the extra features are dumb and weak.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
We don't need more features. Just the basic 808 with MIDI. All the extra features are dumb and weak.
Nonsense. I hope they load it up with extra features. I hope it nails the sounds of the original but then has ways to take each sound into new territory. Tuning the kick will be a welcomed addition. Many of us will gladly wait a little longer for them to enhance the capabilities.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

yeah totally. the 808 can get limited and samey quite quickly
once you've sated that tr808 desire.

Uli Uli Uli: 808 for 2018 ...
basically, we need a decent analog drum machine. enough cowbell already
hihats/metals that are versatile, crisp snare, ... a decent sound selection for
an analog kit, keeping the original programming, the external triggers.
dinsync on the board for owners of dinsync gear who need a drum machine..
nice layout so it can be worked on, fixed or modded.
no glitchy gimmicks, and... who really needs realtime modulations, it doesn't
sound good most of the time. solid, phatt, shake the house, with that
ambience the original has. onboard fx, no, totally superfluous.(*imo*)

oh yeah and format so it's rackable.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Needs to have just 3 on board effects per channel so I do not need to take pedals out live.

Reverb, Delay, Distortion.

Huge kick with distortion , snare and clap with a bug verb. Hats with delay.... Mmmmmm
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Asking for features on this is a waste of time now.
Their new analogue drum machine - yes. there is still time as they listen to us.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
Asking for features on this is a waste of time now.
Their new analogue drum machine - yes. there is still time as they listen to us.
In what way is asking for features is a waste of time? You think it's now too late in the design phase for implementing new features by now?

If so, I'm glad I did mention in several posts on this thread a while back that I would like to see decay (and possibly tuning) for the snare as well as the four internal calibration pots moved to the outside of the unit so they could be accessible and adjustable by the user without the need for the machine to be opened.

I really hope Behringer listened and implemented those features. With that said, I commend them for adding tuning to the bassdrum as they have actually confirmed. That's a welcome addition.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Dear Uli Behringer:

I cannot wait. Life without the RD 808 is not worth living. I have to put myself into deep freeze and wake up when this is released.

Having said that, I would pretty much need pattern change using MIDI NOTES, without losing sync..... please ....

Make it so that the sequencer will jump to the next pattern on the next quarter bar after the note trigger please please please!

Thanks Uli !
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

I am rigging up my cryogenic stasis machine with an internet connection and programming it to de-freeze me when it finds the string "taking pre-orders" in this thread.
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I am rigging up my cryogenic stasis machine with an internet connection and programming it to de-freeze me when it finds the string "taking pre-orders" in this thread.
See you soon then
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Just build the thing and put it out. Its not as if the information of what people want on these machines didn't exist on this site somewhere before this thread. Its also not like there is any real feedback from the manufacturer with respect to whether or not the suggestions are really taken seriously. I tend to doubt it since changing the design midstream would cause inordinate delays in sourcing the components. If it were so easy to adjust the design then it would also seem like this product should have been out on the market already.

Frankly, I find this long winded hype on something that doesn't quite yet exist to be a drag. To me, the real purpose is to shore up potential purchases that would otherwise have gotten something else long ago but are waiting for the "ultimate" clone and the "cheapest" price.

Some may say its a bit underhanded and sleazy to use some kind of phony claim to consumer demands as a way to control the market. Others may not agree.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Just build the thing and put it out. Its not as if the information of what people want on these machines didn't exist on this site somewhere before this thread. Its also not like there is any real feedback from the manufacturer with respect to whether or not the suggestions are really taken seriously. I tend to doubt it since changing the design midstream would cause inordinate delays in sourcing the components. If it were so easy to adjust the design then it would also seem like this product should have been out on the market already.

Frankly, I find this long winded hype on something that doesn't quite yet exist to be a drag. To me, the real purpose is to shore up potential purchases that would otherwise have gotten something else long ago but are waiting for the "ultimate" clone and the "cheapest" price.

Some may say its a bit underhanded and sleazy to use some kind of phony claim to consumer demands as a way to control the market. Others may not agree.

It’s just like if DSI or Korg or whoever announced their product right as they began development, **** takes time. If you don’t like it, don’t pay attention to it.

I would also be surprised if Behringer doesn’t take advantage of 808 day next week to have some announcements.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

It doesn't matter who you are, progress can only be achieved at a pace defined by variables.
Old 1st August 2018
Quote:
Its also not like there is any real feedback from the manufacturer with respect to whether or not the suggestions are really taken seriously.
Quote:

Uli
-----

Quote:
Frankly, I find this long winded hype on something that doesn't quite yet exist to be a drag.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search