The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
  #9721
Gear Addict
 
tomylee's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
what FW you on?

what FW version are you wishing to keep?

i most likely have it
so there is a way, I'm not in the studio atm, I think I have 2.0.1 or something, before the autosave. have not updated yet. would be nice if behringer would offer older versions on their website, like other manufacturers, or is this counterproductive?
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
  #9722
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
Haven't had time to read thru the entire thread so I may be asking a redundant question. The new OS did restore the lost MIDI functions on my RD-8 but the kick tune still has very little range as doe the decay, which is way too short. and the CHH is FAINT - also compared to the other hats. I have to use an indiv. out just to give it enough boost. And I find myself dropping in sampled 808 kicks.. this is NOT what I bought an RD-8 for !

audio demo of the hits to compare?
Old 25th November 2020
  #9723
Gear Head
 
Just wanted to chime in: I'm on the second to latest firmware and the midi sync issues with my daw as the master clock seem to be resolved.
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
  #9724
Here for the gear
 
I have one of these; it arrived in the post a couple of weeks ago. I've since upgraded the firmware, although oddly it only went up to version 2.02. Imagine how much better my music would be if I could upgrade to 2.04. I can but dream.

I didn't anticipate how large it was, but on the other hand it's nice to have all that space. I've successfully managed to drive a Volca Sample with the trigger output; a simple every-other-note cowbell sequence keeps it going.

The trigger outputs particularly intrigued me because there's a chap on Youtube called Paolo / Synthmania who runs his TR-909 into the trigger input of a Juno-106, which drives the arpeggiator - the result is instant "Smalltown Boy". Is there a list somewhere of modern polysynths with a trigger input? Obviously just for timing MIDI would work, but it would be nice to set up a complex trigger pattern on the RD-8 and use it to drive an arpeggiator.

Eight balanced outputs is handy as well. I like to run the kick untreated with everything else put through a little bit of reverb. Perhaps I'm being fussy but the unit is noticeably noisy, although far, far less than the Volcas; someone in this thread mentioned optional shielding, I wonder if that's the problem.

Here's an example in which I use the RD-8 and a Volca Sample in parallel:
One day I might even switch to a second pattern, or even sequence multiple patterns one after the other. My attitude is that if you start adding fills to electro music you basically have jazz, and that's a different jam.

It's odd that the RD-8 hasn't attracted more coverage in the press. The only substantive review is from Sound on Sound. Literally nothing else. No blog posts, no magazine articles. Just that, and this thread on Sound on Sound. I realise that the RD-8 is a niche product, and as an investment it's not an 808, but you'd think it would have had more of an impact.

I was struck by this retrospective of the TR-808, written in 1997:
http://www.chriscarter.co.uk/content...and_tr808.html

"The popularity of the 808 started to decline about a year ago (1996) when the rarer TR909 took it's place as 'the' dance floor drum machine to use. This came about for various reasons, the 909 gives more control over the drum sounds, has better programming and includes MIDI as standard, it also currently sells for between £900-£1100.

The 808 is still quite collectible and although maximum prices for the 808, peaked at about £700-£800 things have calmed down a little and the price has dropped to £450-£550 depending on condition and whether it has been MIDI retrofitted.
"

That fits with my recollection of 1997. In an age of FSOL / The Chemical Brothers / Fluke / Underworld etc the 808 was a niche choice whereas the 909 was still used on mainstream pop records in a non-retro, non-ironic way.
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
  #9725
Gear Nut
 
dsmurray1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
I have one of these; it arrived in the post a couple of weeks ago. I've since upgraded the firmware, although oddly it only went up to version 2.02. Imagine how much better my music would be if I could upgrade to 2.04. I can but dream.

I didn't anticipate how large it was, but on the other hand it's nice to have all that space. I've successfully managed to drive a Volca Sample with the trigger output; a simple every-other-note cowbell sequence keeps it going.

The trigger outputs particularly intrigued me because there's a chap on Youtube called Paolo / Synthmania who runs his TR-909 into the trigger input of a Juno-106, which drives the arpeggiator - the result is instant "Smalltown Boy". Is there a list somewhere of modern polysynths with a trigger input? Obviously just for timing MIDI would work, but it would be nice to set up a complex trigger pattern on the RD-8 and use it to drive an arpeggiator.

Eight balanced outputs is handy as well. I like to run the kick untreated with everything else put through a little bit of reverb. Perhaps I'm being fussy but the unit is noticeably noisy, although far, far less than the Volcas; someone in this thread mentioned optional shielding, I wonder if that's the problem.

Here's an example in which I use the RD-8 and a Volca Sample in parallel:


One day I might even switch to a second pattern, or even sequence multiple patterns one after the other. My attitude is that if you start adding fills to electro music you basically have jazz, and that's a different jam.

It's odd that the RD-8 hasn't attracted more coverage in the press. The only substantive review is from Sound on Sound. Literally nothing else. No blog posts, no magazine articles. Just that, and this thread on Sound on Sound. I realise that the RD-8 is a niche product, and as an investment it's not an 808, but you'd think it would have had more of an impact.

I was struck by this retrospective of the TR-808, written in 1997:
http://www.chriscarter.co.uk/content...and_tr808.html

"The popularity of the 808 started to decline about a year ago (1996) when the rarer TR909 took it's place as 'the' dance floor drum machine to use. This came about for various reasons, the 909 gives more control over the drum sounds, has better programming and includes MIDI as standard, it also currently sells for between £900-£1100.

The 808 is still quite collectible and although maximum prices for the 808, peaked at about £700-£800 things have calmed down a little and the price has dropped to £450-£550 depending on condition and whether it has been MIDI retrofitted.
"

That fits with my recollection of 1997. In an age of FSOL / The Chemical Brothers / Fluke / Underworld etc the 808 was a niche choice whereas the 909 was still used on mainstream pop records in a non-retro, non-ironic way.
Only the main output is balanced, the individual outputs are not and require TS jacks.

That's strange about the firmware. Have you downloaded the new Synthtribe app from the website?

There aren't many poly synths with a trigger input that I am aware of, but the MS-1 is a fairly cheap monosynth which allows you to trigger the sequencer in the way you describe.

Last edited by dsmurray1; 30th November 2020 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Wrote arp instead of seq
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
  #9726
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
I have one of these; it arrived in the post a couple of weeks ago. I've since upgraded the firmware, although oddly it only went up to version 2.02. Imagine how much better my music would be if I could upgrade to 2.04. I can but dream.

I didn't anticipate how large it was, but on the other hand it's nice to have all that space. I've successfully managed to drive a Volca Sample with the trigger output; a simple every-other-note cowbell sequence keeps it going.

The trigger outputs particularly intrigued me because there's a chap on Youtube called Paolo / Synthmania who runs his TR-909 into the trigger input of a Juno-106, which drives the arpeggiator - the result is instant "Smalltown Boy". Is there a list somewhere of modern polysynths with a trigger input? Obviously just for timing MIDI would work, but it would be nice to set up a complex trigger pattern on the RD-8 and use it to drive an arpeggiator.

Eight balanced outputs is handy as well. I like to run the kick untreated with everything else put through a little bit of reverb. Perhaps I'm being fussy but the unit is noticeably noisy, although far, far less than the Volcas; someone in this thread mentioned optional shielding, I wonder if that's the problem.

Here's an example in which I use the RD-8 and a Volca Sample in parallel:


One day I might even switch to a second pattern, or even sequence multiple patterns one after the other. My attitude is that if you start adding fills to electro music you basically have jazz, and that's a different jam.

It's odd that the RD-8 hasn't attracted more coverage in the press. The only substantive review is from Sound on Sound. Literally nothing else. No blog posts, no magazine articles. Just that, and this thread on Sound on Sound. I realise that the RD-8 is a niche product, and as an investment it's not an 808, but you'd think it would have had more of an impact.

I was struck by this retrospective of the TR-808, written in 1997:
http://www.chriscarter.co.uk/content...and_tr808.html

"The popularity of the 808 started to decline about a year ago (1996) when the rarer TR909 took it's place as 'the' dance floor drum machine to use. This came about for various reasons, the 909 gives more control over the drum sounds, has better programming and includes MIDI as standard, it also currently sells for between £900-£1100.

The 808 is still quite collectible and although maximum prices for the 808, peaked at about £700-£800 things have calmed down a little and the price has dropped to £450-£550 depending on condition and whether it has been MIDI retrofitted.
"

That fits with my recollection of 1997. In an age of FSOL / The Chemical Brothers / Fluke / Underworld etc the 808 was a niche choice whereas the 909 was still used on mainstream pop records in a non-retro, non-ironic way.
It must be the Juno-60 you saw as the 106 have no Arpeggiator.
Modern polysynths? On my Prophet-6 it is possible to trig the sequenser and the arpeggiator that way. I guess the OB-6 will work in the same manner. Modern mono synths I have that also work is the MS-101 and Pro-1.
Old 30th November 2020
  #9727
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Sonic rev I have a surprise for you later this week
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
  #9728
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
The trigger outputs particularly intrigued me because there's a chap on Youtube called Paolo / Synthmania who runs his TR-909 into the trigger input of a Juno-106, which drives the arpeggiator - the result is instant "Smalltown Boy". Is there a list somewhere of modern polysynths with a trigger input? Obviously just for timing MIDI would work, but it would be nice to set up a complex trigger pattern on the RD-8 and use it to drive an arpeggiator.
Most modern synths won't have this option, however many modern synths do have an onboard sequencer thus this technique would become obsolete since you can program the pattern in the sequencer and use the transpose + hold function to use it in a live setting.

BTW I think you mean a Juno 60 because the 106 didn't have an apreggiator.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #9729
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Most modern synths won't have this option, however many modern synths do have an onboard sequencer thus this technique would become obsolete since you can program the pattern in the sequencer and use the transpose + hold function to use it in a live setting.

BTW I think you mean a Juno 60 because the 106 didn't have an apreggiator.
It´s not obsolete i would say. It´s a complete different way
You dont get the same results with just an onboard sequencer.(Or only if you trigger the seq with every step).

It´s somehow similar to the TB-303 sequencer where you can enter notes and timing individually

I could use the MS-101 seq on it´s own...but it´s much more fun to get the sequence triggered by a RD-8 cowbell pattern, for example.
Old 1st December 2020
  #9730
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Set up my td3 this way a lot, then just add or remove hits tin the rd8 patterns to adjust the bass line sequence, such a great way of working
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #9731
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Set up my td3 this way a lot, then just add or remove hits tin the rd8 patterns to adjust the bass line sequence, such a great way of working
When i still had my Juno6, i had a cheap DR110 that i used to trigger the arp. And i put a dotted delay over it, very very nice...instant "berlin school"
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #9732
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot View Post
It´s not obsolete i would say. It´s a complete different way
You dont get the same results with just an onboard sequencer.(Or only if you trigger the seq with every step).

It´s somehow similar to the TB-303 sequencer where you can enter notes and timing individually

I could use the MS-101 seq on it´s own...but it´s much more fun to get the sequence triggered by a RD-8 cowbell pattern, for example.
If you trigger the arpeggiator via a drummachine it will only trigger one note for the pattern. It can't play for an example two notes, unless you play it manually but you could achieve the same with the sequencer. Like if you want to play a double octave bassline:

C2 C2 C3 C3

The drummachine would trigger only C2 and play C2 C2 C2 C2, only if you push the C3 key it will play C3. So here it's pretty much useless while in a sequencer all you have to do is to enter the notes and use the key transpose function.

I prefer the sequencer. The Behringer sequencer does have step sequencing. I guess both ways have their pros and cons.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #9733
Gear Maniac
 
justmull's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
Is there a list somewhere of modern polysynths with a trigger input?
The JX-3P step sequencer has a trig in AND is polyphonic - you can enter a crazy long chord progression (up to 128 steps) and trigger it in any crazy polyrhythmic way your drum machine can handle. It's pretty great - but not modern! I don't know of any modern synth that has that sort of thing (not to say it doesn't exist though).
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #9734
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusoafva View Post
Yes, you're right, I did have synthtool installed, although the version I had didn't recognise the RD-8. So upgraded synthtool to the latest version v2.4.2.

Am now at v2.0.4 on the RD-8. Actually took two upgrades to do it - the first one, after a few attempts with the paper clip, took it to 2.0.2, after which the RD-8 automatically rebooted itself. But then synthtool immediately said the RD-8 was out of date, so I did another upgrade. Funny thing was the 2nd upgrade didn't require the paper clip trick. But after the 2nd upgrade the RD-8 didn't reboot itself, so I waited for a while, then power cycled it, and it came up ok, and synth tool says it's at v2.0.4 "up to date."

For me this was not too smooth, but I've always hated doing installs and upgrades etc. - like pulling teeth for me. But happy to be at v2.0.4. Thanks for the help and to Jamie and chaosium.

Regarding the paper clip on the first upgrade: if anyone else is having trouble with the paper clip in the back - you have to insert the papoer clip before powering on the unit, at least, that's the one that worked for me. And I already had the installer activated, sitting at 0%, then it just took off.
Yikes. OK I'm on a mac, are there clear instructions anywhere?

I see somebody did one for windows.

One other thing: my RD-8 has suddenly started sponteneously changing volume, any ideas?
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #9735
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Yikes. OK I'm on a mac, are there clear instructions anywhere?

I see somebody did one for windows.

One other thing: my RD-8 has suddenly started sponteneously changing volume, any ideas?
I have to imagine it's the same process

Download synthtool
Turn rd8 on with USB connected
Open synthtool which will then see rd8
Click update
Turn off rd8
Insert pin into dfu slot and power up rd8
Process starts
Synthtool will confirm and depending will say to restart rd8 or not, I always restart rd8 anyway

Sounds like lots of steps , I suppose it is but really it's just easy
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #9736
Gear Nut
 
varntvar's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
I have one of these; it arrived in the post a couple of weeks ago. I've since upgraded the firmware, although oddly it only went up to version 2.02. Imagine how much better my music would be if I could upgrade to 2.04. I can but dream.
This is expected behaviour, before v2 the RD-8 did not use synthtool for updates. The first update (to 2.02) is necessary to make it compatible with later updates.

A second run through synthtool will be necessary to get it to 2.04, did you try this?
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9737
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I have to imagine it's the same process

Download synthtool
Turn rd8 on with USB connected
Open synthtool which will then see rd8
Click update
Turn off rd8
Insert pin into dfu slot and power up rd8
Process starts
Synthtool will confirm and depending will say to restart rd8 or not, I always restart rd8 anyway

Sounds like lots of steps , I suppose it is but really it's just easy
That sounds doable, I will report back

PS I was one vexed by the RD-8 for many hours when a early update caused the stop button to be needed sometimes when navigating. It was a super simple cure: use the stop button! But it took forever to figure that out LOL.

Thank you for your kind instructions.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9738
Lives for gear
 
Lazerbrains's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Most modern synths won't have this option....
I do know the Pro 2 can do this..... it is a neat trick.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9739
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
That sounds doable, I will report back

PS I was one vexed by the RD-8 for many hours when a early update caused the stop button to be needed sometimes when navigating. It was a super simple cure: use the stop button! But it took forever to figure that out LOL.

Thank you for your kind instructions.


sometimes it is just staring us in the face we all do it best just to laugh

let me know if i can help out
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9740
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post


sometimes it is just staring us in the face we all do it best just to laugh

let me know if i can help out
Your instructions worked perfect, thank you. As noted above, there are two upgrades, you do one, then it sees the next.

Now that the clock is rockin I will have to learn to use it
Old 3rd December 2020
  #9741
Gear Nut
 
Behringer RD-8 Firmware
Version 2.0.6 (01 Dec 2020)


New features:

1. In STEP mode, hold TAP/HOLD then press RECORD to set pattern auto save on or off.

2. Pattern length menu displayed in SONG and PATTERN mode.

3. Push LENGTH, then hold TAP/HOLD and push >> (right double arrow beside LENGTH) to
immediately duplicate the contents of the current length, this is very useful when you are working
with for example a 3/4 pattern with 12 steps.

4. When STEP RECORD is enabled, the display shows “auto” or “manu” for 1 second to indicate the
save mode.

5. Recall stored pattern by holding TAP/HOLD + STEP button of the pattern you wish to restore. This
only works when you are in Pattern mode and set to manu (manual) save mode.
Improvements:

1. Improved sweep erase function.
2. Improved note repeat to the MIDI out.
3. Fixed the behaviour of auto fill. Now replaces the end of the pattern with the amount of steps
programmed in the auto fill pattern if less than the current pattern playing.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9742
Gear Nut
 
dsmurray1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphoop View Post
Behringer RD-8 Firmware
Version 2.0.6 (01 Dec 2020)


New features:

1. In STEP mode, hold TAP/HOLD then press RECORD to set pattern auto save on or off.

2. Pattern length menu displayed in SONG and PATTERN mode.

3. Push LENGTH, then hold TAP/HOLD and push >> (right double arrow beside LENGTH) to
immediately duplicate the contents of the current length, this is very useful when you are working
with for example a 3/4 pattern with 12 steps.

4. When STEP RECORD is enabled, the display shows “auto” or “manu” for 1 second to indicate the
save mode.

5. Recall stored pattern by holding TAP/HOLD + STEP button of the pattern you wish to restore. This
only works when you are in Pattern mode and set to manu (manual) save mode.
Improvements:

1. Improved sweep erase function.
2. Improved note repeat to the MIDI out.
3. Fixed the behaviour of auto fill. Now replaces the end of the pattern with the amount of steps
programmed in the auto fill pattern if less than the current pattern playing.
Can you post a link? Synthtribe is telling me I'm up-to-date with 2.0.4 and I have Synthtribe 2.4.3
Old 3rd December 2020
  #9743
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
so:

we have a great autosave on or off for those that didn't like it, sorry cant remember your name but now we can choose and jam in safety without fear of rubbing pattern data

and we implemented the proper version of autofill as before

FYI the rd8 will likely sit at this FW now for some time due to other machines, cough, getting attention, but i think we all agree it is 10x the machine it was in the summer for me this is now what i hoped when i bought it sept 19? can't remember when it came out
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9744
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Got a nice box delivered today from Music Tribe Uk, asked them on their support channel to send me the shielding that was added in later hardware revisions of the Rd-8, so I can do it myself... (I have a first batch model) First time I was in contact with them but very positive about it... For such a big company they helped me out on a small item...
I didn’t know they could send the shielding. I have a very early unit too.
How complex is its installation.
Cheers
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9745
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
I didn’t know they could send the shielding. I have a very early unit too.
How complex is its installation.
Cheers
easy installation

but do you get the interference? i don't and i am earliest of early v#1
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9746
Gear Nut
 
dsmurray1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
so:

we have a great autosave on or off for those that didn't like it, sorry cant remember your name but now we can choose and jam in safety without fear of rubbing pattern data

and we implemented the proper version of autofill as before

FYI the rd8 will likely sit at this FW now for some time due to other machines, cough, getting attention, but i think we all agree it is 10x the machine it was in the summer for me this is now what i hoped when i bought it sept 19? can't remember when it came out
I’m confused Jamie, has this update been released? Because the app is telling me I am up to date
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9747
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmurray1 View Post
I’m confused Jamie, has this update been released? Because the app is telling me I am up to date
to my knowledge it is released tomorrow
Old 3rd December 2020
  #9748
Gear Nut
 
clausi's Avatar
 
No instant pattern change yet? Damn

Great to see another update though!
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9749
Lives for gear
 
Klankdroid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
I didn’t know they could send the shielding. I have a very early unit too.
How complex is its installation.
Cheers
Yes you can, you just have to make a support ticket on their musictribe site, it's not free but the parts are cheap and it's shipped with DHL. I still have to do it, but it is rather easy. Just have to disamble the whole unit, I allready done it once to chance the order of the colors. The attached pictures shows where the shielding needs to be. On my to do list...
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-exuhjjy.jpg   Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-twv6sbf.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9750
Gear Nut
 
dsmurray1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Yes you can, you just have to make a support ticket on their musictribe site, it's not free but the parts are cheap and it's shipped with DHL. I still have to do it, but it is rather easy. Just have to disamble the whole unit, I allready done it once to chance the order of the colors. The attached pictures shows where the shielding needs to be. On my to do list...
Did they offer to do it under the warranty?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 186 views: 60862
Avatar for enc
enc 25th October 2020
replies: 12109 views: 1467096
Avatar for Deleted 72b6a740f83e95f
Deleted 72b6a740f83e95f 3 weeks ago
replies: 2475 views: 270339
Avatar for clausi
clausi 21 minutes ago
replies: 242 views: 25937
Avatar for Maffez
Maffez 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump