The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 4 weeks ago
yup, i also love how instruments interact with the sustain setting of the wd on high - suck n pump material

posted this elsewhere already but check the WD examples in this playlist here: https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/set...-fx-fx-cv-mods
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

have you guys never used a transient shaper before this? that's all it is, right?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
have you guys never used a transient shaper before this? that's all it is, right?
plenty of times thanks but you know how people enjoy a certain filter and its idiosyncrasies and then someone pops up and is like wow, you never heard a filter before?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

they're not too common in hardware, so i wouldn't be surprised. the first time i used NI's Transient Master i felt the same way.

really great that they put it on the RD-8, sounds awesome. quirks aside, i think they did an amazing job with this (and most likely the RD-9 as well).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
they're not too common in hardware, so i wouldn't be surprised. the first time i used NI's Transient Master i felt the same way.

really great that they put it on the RD-8, sounds awesome. quirks aside, i think they did an amazing job with this (and most likely the RD-9 as well).
i often flip between the stillwell (better for bass than drums), the cubase free envelope shaper which imo is superb on anything and especially a mix and NI TD/TM

i like em all, less so the stilwell as it struggles with heavy content compared to cubase and NI, it is just refreshing as you say to have it in HW and it does do it's own thing the sw i have can't match, the SW above i love and will continue to use but having it one button away on a HW unit is invaluable

have you heard it on the RD 909 ? it sounds bonkers with the filter and toms
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro
What do the CV/Gate outputs sound like? Same as TR-808?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_hmmWYLfJU
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
ah, interesting!

Tr-08 looks like output after a pulse shaper, while Rd8 is technically correct yet musically not as much - the circuit I posted a couple of posts earlier does something similar to what you see in the TR-08 shape, albeit without as much negative swing
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Any idea what this is, it's on the backside of the connector pcb, some last minute change ?

That’s the GPS tracking and data collection device. Nothing to worry about, it’s there to help you assimilate into the Music Tribe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
this particular transient shaper is very tastefully voiced. It suits the RD-8 particularly well. Have you used it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

A stupid question maybe but here it is: Analog synths have to warmp up to get in tune, is that something that happens in analog drumcomputers also ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
A stupid question maybe but here it is: Analog synths have to warmp up to get in tune, is that something that happens in analog drumcomputers also ?
not so with the 808/rd - most of its sound utilize a t-bridge network (a special kind of filter in the feedback path of an ampifier) excited by some input noise (trigger spike), some a mix of this with noise (snare) and some (hats) some square waves generated by a cmos ic, so this is not really a situation of vco's needing to stabilize

909 is a bit different, and there are other drum synths (simmons, for instance) that use vco-vcf-vca circuits

at any rate absolute pitch stability is something less desired in drums, I guess, since drum sounds (natural or synthetic) live by a more rapid change of spectral information than, say, strings/organs, etc. - some drum synth manufacturers even went to some lengths (check pearl drx) in order to emulate drum skins at the attack phase of a sound
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
only analog synths with discrete circuits and poor temperature compensation need a warm up time. later analog synths based on ICs are way more stable and DCO synths don't have any tuning problems at all, so it's all dependent on the actual circuit, analog /= analog
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
have you been keeping it outside in the dog kennel ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thank you for your answers people, I learned some things
Old 4 weeks ago
enc
Gear Head
Can anybody advise how I set midi clock to slave to external sequencer..
Been through all settings in “clock” and “midi”
Analogue clock out works fine but need to slave to hardware sequencer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
from the manual :

11.13 SYNC
Pressing the SYNC button multiple times scrolls through the 4 Sync
option available.
1. INT (internal) – The sync is set by the unit’s internal clock.
2. MIDI – The sync is taken from the MIDI IN port. A MIDI start message is
required in order for playback to start.
3. USB – The sync is taken from the USB port. A message is required in order
for playback to start.
4. TRIG (clock) – The sync is taken from the SYNC IN port. Clock start signal is
required or playback can be started manually. (Sync In jack has start / stop
signal on ring and clock on tip).

page 17

https://media63.music-group.com/medi...0RD-8_M_EN.pdf
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
it is annoyingly staring at you right above the playbar and screen while it laughs in silence

i am not taking the pis%, we normally expect to go midi menu to fins such stuff and i did the same as you for 5 mins and then i realised, i also did the same with the arturia machine - this is operating the same as arturia DB family ftr inc cv clock levels

well not exactly the same, they switched mid and usb around in order of appearance
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

This topic has reached and gone over 1 000 000 views
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-milj.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
enc
Gear Head
Quote:
from the manual :

11.13 SYNC
Pressing the SYNC button multiple times scrolls through the 4 Sync
option available.
1. INT (internal) – The sync is set by the unit’s internal clock.
2. MIDI – The sync is taken from the MIDI IN port. A MIDI start message is
required in order for playback to start.
3. USB – The sync is taken from the USB port. A message is required in order
for playback to start.
4. TRIG (clock) – The sync is taken from the SYNC IN port. Clock start signal is
required or playback can be started manually. (Sync In jack has start / stop
signal on ring and clock on tip).

page 17

https://media63.music-group.com/medi...0RD-8_M_EN.pdf
thank you sir sorted .. what is this thing 'manual' you speak of
Old 4 weeks ago
enc
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
it is annoyingly staring at you right above the playbar and screen while it laughs in silence

i am not taking the pis%, we normally expect to go midi menu to fins such stuff and i did the same as you for 5 mins and then i realised, i also did the same with the arturia machine - this is operating the same as arturia DB family ftr inc cv clock levels

well not exactly the same, they switched mid and usb around in order of appearance

... yeah its easy ... when you know how
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

is it possible to trigger for example the Minilogue XD CV IN to Gate to make you use of the Seq build in to it? SO i can programm Steps on Cowbell and it triggers the logues Seq .. I will get a minilogue xd in short term would be fun. Anyone tried this?

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This topic has reached and gone over 1 000 000 views
Is that 1,000,000 individuals or does it count everytime eg I look at the thread? If its the latter then its probaly only a few thousand people viewing multiple times. Ive probably viewed this thread hundreds of times myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
Is that 1,000,000 individuals or does it count everytime eg I look at the thread? If its the latter then its probaly only a few thousand people viewing multiple times. Ive probably viewed this thread hundreds of times myself.
Not individual ones, but still a nice number which means high activity here... Deepmind is even reaching 2 000 000...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Rd-8 will be my number one in the gear of the year list, it fullflls everything I wanted for a long time.

-sounds good
-fun to program and jam live with
-individual outs for all voices
-looks and feels good
-an affordable analog 808 clone within my budget

a 300€ well spend, I coudn't be happier

Now Behringer could maybe send a demo unit to Decksavers so they can make one... or start making them themselves, good opportunity to make more €$£¥ @ Uli Behringer
Plus, it's full-size, which adds considerable authenticity:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

People who have both the RD-8 and the Drumbrute (not Impact)

How would you compare the workflow/ease of use between them? Would you think getting a Drumbrute would be worth it if one was going to get the RD-8?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthWizard View Post
Plus, it's full-size, which adds considerable authenticity:

Yes and it has a nice updated look, I like the fact the knobs are bigger then on the og...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
People who have both the RD-8 and the Drumbrute (not Impact)

How would you compare the workflow/ease of use between them? Would you think getting a Drumbrute would be worth it if one was going to get the RD-8?
I could never gel with the sound of the drumbrute, it had a nice workflow but the sound not my thing... returned it after 3 weeks... I think the Rd-8 can do more also...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone got a lead on who has these in stock?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I purchased one today, however, I found that the filter and wave designer doesn't work when monitoring via. the headphones out, only works via. the master out. Can someone confirm this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd_oz View Post
I purchased one today, however, I found that the filter and wave designer doesn't work when monitoring via. the headphones out, only works via. the master out. Can someone confirm this?
Correct. The manual also confirms this is the case.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search