The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
ms1 owners rejoice

not to crap on maffez project which is bloody superb

for anybody who dare not make a couple of connections and who can wait a few weeks, i suggest you look at or possibly get the korg nutekt - it accepts cv sync trigs - rd8 trig out works on sq1 sync in (i do it all the time and use sq1 in the way you wish to use ms1) and this i expect will be the same - the nu tekt then puts out 5v and 15ms spike so enough to trig the 101, of course this needs to be confirmed but i can see no reason why it won't, korg sq1 translates all sorts of stuff and why would they waste this new design

added bonus you get the GOD DAMN beautiful minilogue xd FX in stereo for free

alternatively if ms1 and rd8 owners have an sq1, have you not tried this as a translator already ?
a nutekt, a small midas board and an rd-8 does sound like a fun lil rig
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
a nutekt, a small midas board and an rd-8 does sound like a fun lil rig
For a hundred bux or so and some screwdrivery, the nu-tekt is kind of a steal.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Should we have expected ms-1 and rd-8 to play nice with each other or was it just a mistaken assumption?

Ie trigger out of rd8 to step advance ms1 sequencer ?

Personally it seems to be a well know link between tr808 and sh101 so yes , I assumed it would work on these new devices.

I’m very surprised I still haven’t bought ms1 but there’s been no word on glide/portamento and this.
Of course I could be very wrong and will dig around further at the weekend.
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
Should we have expected ms-1 and rd-8 to play nice with each other or was it just a mistaken assumption?

Ie trigger out of rd8 to step advance ms1 sequencer ?

Personally it seems to be a well know link between tr808 and sh101 so yes , I assumed it would work on these new devices.

I’m very surprised I still haven’t bought ms1 but there’s been no word on glide/portamento and this.
Of course I could be very wrong and will dig around further at the weekend.
It was a totally fair assumption thus the confusion and disappointment when they didn't seem to get along as expected. Possibly some "left hand not knowing" between 2 different Behringer locations, the RD-8 group in Manchester and the MS-1 group somewhere else. MS-1/RD-8 compatibility should have been baked in, but it's getting sorted one way or another. Maffez is a good example of that.
Old 10th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
prevents capacitor to discharge back into the pulse source input - got inspired by the 808 cowbell which is a more complicated version of this (see here: http://www.frisnit.com/roland-tr-808-cowbell-rebuild/)
Any particular diode or anything we happen to have laying around will do?
Old 10th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjdc View Post
Any particular diode or anything we happen to have laying around will do?
i used a standard 1n4148

for others that happen to be lying around just try and see what works

also cap-wise, someone reported a 0.47u worked but 2.2u was already too much/slow (the bigger the value the lkonger charge/discharge time), so I assume that kinda sets the range
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez
mods
Hey Maff- give me a reason to buy this

Is it reasonably easy to add CV patch points for all tuning and decay controls? And for the Snappy control...
Old 10th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Hey Maff- give me a reason to buy this

Is it reasonably easy to add CV patch points for all tuning and decay controls? And for the Snappy control...
hehehe, i think the rd is a reason in itself

tuning and decay is not so straightforward to cv; vactrols are your friend (see diy stuff on yocto) but here's a preliminary list on what iv'e done with instruments and Fx cv-wise

Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Head
Are the outputs balanced or unbalanced?
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
It was a totally fair assumption thus the confusion and disappointment when they didn't seem to get along as expected. Possibly some "left hand not knowing" between 2 different Behringer locations, the RD-8 group in Manchester and the MS-1 group somewhere else. MS-1/RD-8 compatibility should have been baked in, but it's getting sorted one way or another. Maffez is a good example of that.
I’m a supporter of the RD-8 but this MS-1 incompatibility is inexcusable. What’s the FIRST thing you do if you have an 808 and an SH101 - you trigger the 101 with the 808. This is historically THE creation of electro & house and anyone who knows these machines knows it.

So what is anybody going to expect to work flawlessly when the hook up the RD8 to the MS1?! I just can’t get my head round it, this thing has been in beta testing for at least a YEAR and no one at Behringer thought to trigger the MS1 from the RD8, even though they went to the trouble of putting THREE trigger outs??! WTF indeed
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra79 View Post
Main Mix Out (mono) is balanced output on TRS 6,3mm jack.
Individual outputs are unbalanced, TS 6,3mm jacks.
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra79 View Post
main is balanced

return is balanced

inst: outs are not

all covered in the tech spec of the manual just in case you need figures etc
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Guru

OK people the midi thing was really bugging me the last few days, anyway i am walking in the park this morning trying to rid my body of chemicals and loosen my back up and i had a lightbulb come on

i came home - looked at the project i used to create the midi loops on the RD8 and checked the clock settings and VOILA, clock is on - i removed sync and start stop from octatrack midi outputs and the RD8 was triggered via midi flawlessly for 20 minutes -no burps, no drops, nothing

So, octatrack users make sure you have zero midi clock if using it to sequence RD8, AND IF OTHER USERS of other sequencers have these crazy burps and stops with midi - try removing clock and start messages and see what happens, i expect all will be fine, obviously not 100% sure this is convenient if you only have 1 sequencer but that is not my issue as i am just trying to show my findings and offer ideas.

My apologies in part to @ Tester Dave and @ Uli Behringer and others I suppose, BUT, even after this discovery there is clearly something odd happening with accent via midi per the tests - in addition to this the dbi, 606, drumbrute, maschine and cubase were all sending continuous clock too same cable, no chains used - weird.....

Conclusion for me on the above is, well, i don't really know but @ least i know my OT is 100% with the RD8 so long as no clock being sent in trigger mode, which i will rarely do anyway, if ever from any machine as i like the RD8 sequencer.

i won't go back deleting text as quotes have been made so i am stuck, i have updated again with this info though for any readers in the future
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

If the RD-8 is that sensitive to MIDI clock issues affecting performance, I suggest that behri adds a MIDI CLOCK FILTER switch into the settings in a future update? cuz in some scenarious it might be impossible to strip the MIDI clock from the datastream (complex thru daisychaining for example). This way the MIDI thru port could still pass through the clock but it wouldn't mess up the RD-8.
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Guru

yeah it seems sensitive as none of my other kit reacts like this to the OT - in fact the OT is bang at the centre of my setup for obvious reasons

the odd stuff is the accent via midi but i can sort of ignore it as for me it is likely a no use/very limited case, keen to hear others words on it after they do it and see the fix if it is deemed a common thing
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
I’m a supporter of the RD-8 but this MS-1 incompatibility is inexcusable. What’s the FIRST thing you do if you have an 808 and an SH101 - you trigger the 101 with the 808. This is historically THE creation of electro & house and anyone who knows these machines knows it.

So what is anybody going to expect to work flawlessly when the hook up the RD8 to the MS1?! I just can’t get my head round it, this thing has been in beta testing for at least a YEAR and no one at Behringer thought to trigger the MS1 from the RD8, even though they went to the trouble of putting THREE trigger outs??! WTF indeed
Absolutly!!
Reducing the sequencer to only 32 steps is the second mistake.

But the "not trigger" issue is really sxxt. yes i know to diy-mod it but im afraid they don´t really know about these thinks...and it seems the Crave used the same sequencer

Also it´s not really a technical problem i think. a firmware update could fix it.
But with real triggers the swing would not work anymore...maybe a reason not to do it?
The sequencer was nice in the original 101...why not just do the same but with more pattern memory?

Can the deepmind get triggered just like a juno(by RD-8)?
Old 11th October 2019
beta version of modding guide with some 20 pages of trix and pix here: Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
beta version of modding guide with some 20 pages of trix and pix here: Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications
Nice. Thanks and hope your RD-8 will be up and running again
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
you worked her too hard, she wants a rest man give her a rest

i am sure a man (be careful not to discriminate here Jamie ) or a woman, with your skills will find a way
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

Any idea what this is, it's on the backside of the connector pcb, some last minute change ?
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-knipsel.jpg  
Old 11th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Any idea what this is, it's on the backside of the connector pcb, some last minute change ?
that one is still on my question mark list& will check once the rd is going again

either related to headphone (unlikely) or power switch - could be a stock part they use/will be using in other units too. maybe a bit like the early ms1 pics where you could see a small vco pcb put on top of the main pcb with pin headers
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
right i have done it this morning with the TT606 and not a single issue , accent fine, no dropouts across ten minutes and massive bpm changes with hits on every step all varying accents

tested with Arturia DBI - this was a bit weird, it had zero faults or breaks in midi reception and i gave it a ten minute pattern of grief @ widely varying BPM with hundreds of hits per pattern, accent worked fine too BUT accent was not carrying globally, so i could accent a clap on step 5 and even though a kick was on step 5 the kick had no accent unless i went to kick track and accented it - mind boggling or what and different from all other tests so far? does this suggest we could have accent sent via midi PER INSTRUMENT? seems the impact allows it when it is sequencing - this confuses me slightly. oh and the rd8 did follow the looper strip/repeater on the DBI perfectly so i could use that in step mode or live - great stuff

was tempted to run tests on mc808 and others but i think i have seen enough

clearly this midi pattern break up is linked to the octatrack in my case as maschine, cubase, 606, DBI all work fine as sequencers apart from that global accent thing that seems to operate differently from box to box , cannot get my head around that but whatever - and i suspect my other sequencers would give similar results too

i should have recorded the note on/off velocity being sent as 0 data from midi-ox and posted but it is too late now and really don't think i can be bothered to do it all again

i have edited my previous posts for clarity, if anyone else stumbles across it please list the sequencer and maybe we can figure out why it happens, for me i am done testing as it works exactly how i want it to anyway

Im triggering the RD8 from a Cirklon and the accent situation is all over the place, random accents here and there, I can't fathom it but it's definitely wrong and REALLY annoying!
Behringer please fix or I have to return it as faulty, I bought it as a MIDI drum module, so if it doesn't work over MIDI then its useless for me.
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
That's for detecting if the RD-8 is operated by an ordinary customer or if it's going thru a youtube presentation. Also called the sonic-state-detector (SSD).

harrrhaarrr
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSponsor View Post
Im triggering the RD8 from a Cirklon and the accent situation is all over the place, random accents here and there, I can't fathom it but it's definitely wrong and REALLY annoying!
Behringer please fix or I have to return it as faulty, I bought it as a MIDI drum module, so if it doesn't work over MIDI then its useless for me.
midi accent has issues, they will fix this i am sure

thanks for updating the thread

so that is cubase, maschine, octatrack, tt606, arturia drumbrutes, cirklon
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Addict

As soon as it works over midi without any problems, and other main issues from this thread are cured, I would still be very interested. I just can't use it half-baked, and don't want it for just toying around.
I would want to use it with Cubase mainly.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Is the Wave Designer a digital effect?
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Is the Wave Designer a digital effect?
i dare say analogue, analogue filter too

WD certainly doesn't sound digital to me that is for sure

from the manual

The SIG LED shows that a signal is present in the Analog Filter/Wave Designer bus.
The SEND button activates the Wave Designer circuit

ambiguous and/or open to interpretation? i don't think so but i don't know and don't care, if it is digital it is bloody brilliant DSP
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
i dare say analogue, analogue filter too

WD certainly doesn't sound digital to me that is for sure

from the manual

The SIG LED shows that a signal is present in the Analog Filter/Wave Designer bus.
The SEND button activates the Wave Designer circuit

ambiguous and/or open to interpretation? i don't think so but i don't know and don't care, if it is digital it is bloody brilliant DSP
all analogue

WD is basically a vca thing with env folower type circuit - you can even use it as a conventional vca with some cv (guide in the diy threat)

filter is fully analogue too & can also be messed with

b could well put a couple of those in a box and sell it as an fx board, eh?
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
all analogue

WD is basically a vca thing with env folower type circuit - you can even use it as a conventional vca with some cv (guide in the diy threat)

oh yeah they certainly could sell it - add an echo and reverb, make it stereo - what a brilliant fx box for a stereo output

the WD at extreme settings is bonkers, i love it
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
all analogue

for sure! I'd buy a stereo wave designer straight away

People saying the RD-8 doesn't sound like an 808 are totally missing the effect the wave designer has. You can extend / shorten any sound with it, and to my ears the result always sounds pleasing, never gimmicky. Love it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search