The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I also wonder why not many more people were interested in the "yocto" “Miami” and all jump on the behringer. funny that behringer knows how to hypnotize so many people and press the buy button. It isnt so much different than the yocto 300 euro s isnt so less. Lett me tell you “ you are all dewitched.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What a bs...

miami is 3 times the price and a yocto you have to build by yourself. With a casing again its 3 times the price.

The bugs in the rd 8 are functions yocto and miami don't even have included.

And again these are early adopter bugs, that will be fixed. Unlike yomox who rather releases a new unit instead of fixing bugs of his previous one. Screwing all people owning it. And his products are made in germany...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I really wonder how is a relatively simple drum machine like this suddenly hundreds of thousands lines of code, though.
I don't code and haven't since the old speccy 48 got traded in for the almighty 128k but Didnt he say 100kloc? Things will have moved on a lot since the early days but I used to get through thousands of lines as a child for not much return.

Possibly they have stuff that isn't very economical, perhaps there's lots in there to be finalised? that would be nice.

I don't know but it's not actually that simple tbf, there's a fair bit happening under digi control and quite a lot of menus, again I've no idea how much code that takes.

Are people insinuating something is what I'd like to know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
this is not to ridicule anyone having technical problems with their rd8, but couldn't resist playing a bit with the idea of using the claves as the resonating bandpasses they are - fed some amount of white noise into them and have to say they're not half bad as some drone utensils (NB congas are deliberately f---d up here & don't sound anything like this when used properly)

Dude that's bloody great

More individuality for the rd8
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Lol, obviously I was making a joke- sensitive bunch fuuuuck

I think component selection has everything to do with the quality of the product and how it will sound and work in real-world scenarios, especially when you're talking about analog electronics.

Better components cost more, but they are usually worth the money. Not too many people feel cheated after buying a Rupert Neve anything.

But anyway, the sound-drop issues are fixable with updates. The buzzing noises and high pitch whining- probably hardware related unfortunately.

I'm sure everything will get fixed eventually but like someone mentioned- you guys are beta-testers right now.
I know you were , it was apparent in your exchange

Did my reply seem serious?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi View Post
I also wonder why not many more people were interested in the "yocto" “Miami” and all jump on the behringer. funny that behringer knows how to hypnotize so many people and press the buy button. It isnt so much different than the yocto 300 euro s isnt so less. Lett me tell you “ you are all dewitched.
It's the price which sells, which is understandable.. Paying ~800 for a Yocto (which they go for when you pay someone for building) or a Miami is a different league than spending 300, which in todays world really isn't much money and that's what makes Behringer interesting, nothing else

Note: Please don't start that "but Behringer of today isn't comparable with Behringer of the past discussion - it obviously is.
Old 3 weeks ago
DGL
Lives for gear
Another example of products on the market with bugs are the Soundcraft Ui12/16/18, they have been on the market a few years and they still have issues. At least behringer are actively looking to fix the problem.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi View Post
I also wonder why not many more people were interested in the "yocto" “Miami” and all jump on the behringer. ...
i can probably think of a dozen reasons right off the top of my head. price, appearance (the really did a good job with this on the RD-8/9), and overall functionality are the main ones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL View Post
Another example of products on the market with bugs are the Soundcraft Ui12/16/18, they have been on the market a few years and they still have issues. At least behringer are actively looking to fix the problem.
I don't think it's about bugs per se, but about which bugs and how much impact they might have on useablity.. A drum machine with skipping steps is simply ridiculous, sorry. I know, hobbyists just having some fun in their bedroom studios won't care that much, but someone who had planned to take the RD-8 out for gigs probably will. Very basic funcitonality should be bug free on all products on delivery imho, no big deal with some minor bugs in menues or additional features which don't HAVE to be used until they are fixed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by omng View Post

The bugs in the rd 8 are functions yocto and miami don't even have included.
Afaik both, the yocto and the miami, have sequencers which don't skip steps?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
If the machine has so much faults, I wonder how Starsky Carr was able to create his guide for the RD-8 without showing a single fault.

I think at least the basic functions, which are many, work as expected.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urs8M_SjwHQ)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is this available in the states or not?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Oh that's good Info , If I decide to sequence via midi ever I'll remember that and hack something

Tbf I don't ever expect to need to as all I really want to send is clock but you never know

Edit: have you ran a working multi drum pattern sequence form external then? The note off message is good info but doesn't explain why it would make hits of other instruments miss, I mapped it in octatrack and set up a rhythm of kick snare, kick tom, kick tom mid, kick Tom hi, kick rim, kick clap, kick cymbal, kick oh, kick ch, and it decided not to play many hits and then it may play them later at random, it isn't a poly issue as it'll play all hits at once. Well I thought I was done but now I am going to have to do it again out of curiosity and also monitor in midi ox, oh no
Thanks, yes, that's what i'm doing, multi patterns using all 11 voices. And it works just fine. I'm also playing manual variations, snare rushes etc, all without a glitch.

Maybe without the proper 0x80 Note Off messages the RD-8 note buffer overflows, resulting in unpredictable behaviour. This would require some serious effort (and time) to sort out, but i'd rather have the guys (and gals?) at Behringer do that

I uploaded my sequencer to some crappy home page about 5 years ago, there's a link on the midi-ox site. If anyone's interested I could upload a recent version and put up a link so the adventurous types here can play with it for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak View Post
"pics or it didn't happen"
lol
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-img_20190923_204316-2m.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
Is this available in the states or not?
Preordered early August, still waiting.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Nice attitude!
Are you saying we should expect everything we buy to not work ?

Quote:
you have the CEO of the company addressing the community and promising fixes, how often do you see that kind of engagement?
Quite often with some companies, not so often with others.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
If the machine has so much faults, I wonder how Starsky Carr was able to create his guide for the RD-8 without showing a single fault.

I think at least the basic functions, which are many, work as expected.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urs8M_SjwHQ)
a couple of people have reported that they don't have any problems with skipping steps, also in this thread. But many do, and this makes it even worth, specially for debugging, if faults just "occasionally" appear.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Are you saying we should expect everything we buy to not work ?

Quite often with some companies, not so often with others.
no, I just wanted to repeat what someone replied to me a couple of pages ago when I complained.. worked since I received a couple of thumbs up As I wrote before, I'd prefer to pay more for a product if it's getting tested in depth before and delivered without major bugs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
I was wondering about this - can anyone point to a video that shows the drop out behavior? Haven't heard it yet in any of the videos I've seen on YouTube.

As a newbie, thanks to all the people posting helpful guidance and info on here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
Preordered early August, still waiting.
Thomann will ship to the US, I ordered one a few days after it first became available on their site and it's now on the way. Worked out cheaper than the US price even with the shipping, although I guess there may be some import taxes due.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
. As I wrote before, I'd prefer to pay more for a product if it's getting tested in depth before and delivered without major bugs.
ok, what am I missing ? Why is that a bad attitude ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't think it's about bugs per se, but about which bugs and how much impact they might have on useablity.. A drum machine with skipping steps is simply ridiculous, sorry. I know, hobbyists just having some fun in their bedroom studios won't care that much, but someone who had planned to take the RD-8 out for gigs probably will. Very basic funcitonality should be bug free on all products on delivery imho, no big deal with some minor bugs in menues or additional features which don't HAVE to be used until they are fixed.
There are folk here that have identified bugs to help in the fixes, but all you seem to do is have a go at B and people who like the kit. I guess that you don't have one or have any intention of buying one, so why bother?
You know, people (even 'bedroom hobbyists') can make their own minds up based on real users feedback without your 2 cents - (or mine come to that).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your hypothetical user would simply just use something else, they would choose to keep it and wait for a fix or sell it

Just like the rest of us.

It's not the end of the world, it's not ideal but it's not terrible.

The missing beats thing is very small in my many hours, I reckon I've already logged at least 25 hours and noticed missing beats a few times, I'll add that those hours have all been digging hours, so I'm concentrating.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
no, I just wanted to repeat what someone replied to me a couple of pages ago when I complained.. worked since I received a couple of thumbs up As I wrote before, I'd prefer to pay more for a product if it's getting tested in depth before and delivered without major bugs.
It would probably require a team of power users to give any new equipment a thorough, real world shakedown. Jamie Munro and others found a number of bugs and as long as that info finds its way back to the programmers for correcting, then that’s all for the better. The biggest issue comes from the RD-8 providing features that simply didn’t exist in the OG 808 before and that did require a fair bit of “reinventing the wheel” you might say. Also, it’s easy for me to say, I don’t have one yet, but I’m hopeful everything will be good to go by the time they start getting across the pond en masse.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Afaik both, the yocto and the miami, have sequencers which don't skip steps?
Did you ever have a Miami or Yocto ?

When they came out about a century ago that is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Turn on the switches for congas if that does not bother you then ok... I dont use the congas much so this will not be a dealbraker but it is strange the Rd8 is otherwise pretty silent untill you turn on those, you dont even have to program steps for them to hear it... when all instrument play you will not hear it that much but when you like to solo parts then it is really there, and the hum 2 when you go close to adjust or select other voices...
@ Klankdroid thank you - you can hear the buzz sound and the conga hiss.

Today i jammed a lot and think the conga whine is acceptable.

But the static ground humm is huge! If i touch the unit its even worse - but if i touch a poti without the cap its 95% gone.

So I think its possible to ground the conga circuit... anyone have any tips?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
Ah, okay, first I thought for some reason MasterBlaster was trolling a bit - apologies, man - it was monday morning

That's very most likely on account of grounding - reproduced this, and with headphones vol to maximum I could hear this very faintly on my unit. That's with headphones to max tho... In the vid you can even hear the select switch making a click, so I assume the volume is very high.

The ferquency shift you hear when turning tune is because the t-bridge networks in toms, just as in kick, are highly resonant bandpass filters (there's even a funny "abuse" of this by sending audio into the trigger points. slight difference in behaviour when touching the pots is simply skin conductance/grounding, by which you can also infer that amounts of bleed are very low

For a fix, grounding respective pins of select switch separately might well do the trick if you want to open the RD. They're easily accessible when you take off the backplate (pcb can stay in)

might also want to see if there is any difference with usb cable plugged/inserted
@ Maffez -> can you explain how i can ground the pins? I have no problem to take off the backplate and make some soldering... but i dont have any idea where/what e.g. i can do to ground that switch. Thanks for any reply
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
It's not the end of the world, it's not ideal but it's not terrible.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

PRINTABLE LEGIBLE MANUAL PDF

Here is a link for a PDF of the RD-8 manual which has been edited for better printing.
The original manual has 2 manual pages shoved into each 1 pdf page. Which, if you're printing out, makes it impossibly small to read.
My buddy chopped it up so that each manual page has its own pdf page.....so each manual page is on its own sheet of printer paper.
Now, you can actually RTFM.

https://ufile.io/qo22dc7x

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleraptor View Post
There are folk here that have identified bugs to help in the fixes, but all you seem to do is have a go at B and people who like the kit. I guess that you don't have one or have any intention of buying one, so why bother?
You know, people (even 'bedroom hobbyists') can make their own minds up based on real users feedback without your 2 cents - (or mine come to that).
where exactly did I ever go on someone personally unless I have been attacked by someone for an opinion on an electronic device which happened a couple of times again. Lots of people complaining, some people reporting bugs, some people don't care, but of course I am going on people for complaining about a product which obviously has been delivered with lots of bugs.

I've been on the preorder list and cancelled my order after 2 pages of reading reports of people who have received their's. You can have a look at my post history, I was looking forward to the release, I've helped people in this thread and tried to share information. But I am not like a lot of people here, fading out negative aspects, if you can't deal with this, use the ignore function and you won't read any of my posts. I've 5 people on ignore in this thread who post quite frequently and it's a joy since I put them on ignore, try the same.
You know people can make up their own minds, that's exactly what I am doing, and you are typing down your own mind in that post, just like I do, and your post is totally unrelated to this topic, it's just a try to push me out of this discussion, so pleasssse let me have my opinion, I let you have yours. Thank you.

P.S. you don't need to make my comment about "bedroom producers" look negative, it's simply a normal thing, that someone making music for himself can more easily live with bugs than someone who wants to take instruments out for some audience, should be quite obvious without any "downgrading" of hobbyists

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search