The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5941
< cleaned up the thread a bit. deleted a bunch of pointless discussions that really should've been through PMs. please be polite to each other, and patient. also, critique and even worries are allowed, but please don't repeat an opinion? thanks! >
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5942
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
< cleaned up the thread a bit. deleted a bunch of pointless discussions that really should've been through PMs. please be polite to each other, and patient. also, critique and even worries are allowed, but please don't repeat an opinion? thanks! >
OK?? I've read much worse on this board than kindly asking for clarification about an interesting topic....
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5943
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post
Did you come across anything that might explain why the BD doesn't do the 'overlap' added upper harmonics / bounce / inconsistency / build-up / cancelation thing like the OG BD?
It seems almost totally stable and lacking the added upper harmonics when accent is present.
aren't you the one who's been going on and on about this (under a different account at the time) since the TR-8 was released?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I agree. I didn't hear it in the Yocto, or 8raw8 demos either, or any other clone for that matter (not sure about the Miami though). Seems like I remember hearing it in the Miami but I need to listen back at some demos again to double check. However, it's definitely not there in the RD-8.

I wonder why it is so hard for clone makers to get this right, especially if the bassdrum circuitry is a 1:1 copy of the original?
it's there on the TR-8S.

once again, Roland's digital emulation is actually closer to the real thing than a true analog clone.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5944
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
i promised i wouldn't gush if it was fantastic and i don't desire to berate BUT MY GOD there is serious work required on this SW imo

machine sounds , looks and feels great but my god there are hurdles where there needn't be, WTF did these so called youtube / beta testers achieve in their time with the machines?

There are so many obvious flaws in workflow i find it impossible to believe people haven't picked up on them before release, if they genuinely haven't then they should not be placed in a steering role ever again, KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE 909 CLONE PLEASE.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5945
Gear Addict
 
weirdfishee's Avatar
 

Can you not record trigger of step repeat or note repeat into the sequencer? Can get it working fine triggered live but not at all on sequencer
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5946
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Can you not record trigger of step repeat or note repeat into the sequencer? Can get it working fine triggered live but not at all on sequencer
I think its live only.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5947
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Can you not record trigger of step repeat or note repeat into the sequencer? Can get it working fine triggered live but not at all on sequencer
doesn't record your presses no :-(

it can be programmed in via the settings page though, goto settings, press RPT (11), select an instrument and select a step/s you want note repeat to be active on and then turn on note repeat (make it lit) and select a repeat level from 1-8 (the flashing lights), done.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5948
Gear Nut
 
Alek's Avatar
 

same with the MS-101... nobody tested the fuc*in trigger in before release it... how is that possible?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
i promised i wouldn't gush if it was fantastic and i don't desire to berate BUT MY GOD there is serious work required on this SW imo

machine sounds , looks and feels great but my god there are hurdles where there needn't be, WTF did these so called youtube / beta testers achieve in their time with the machines?

There are so many obvious flaws in workflow i find it impossible to believe people haven't picked up on them before release, if they genuinely haven't then they should not be placed in a steering role ever again, KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE 909 CLONE PLEASE.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5949
Gear Addict
 
weirdfishee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
doesn't record your presses no :-(

it can be programmed in via the settings page though, goto settings, press RPT (11), select an instrument and select a step/s you want note repeat to be active on and then turn on note repeat (make it lit) and select a repeat level from 1-8 (the flashing lights), done.
Thank you Jamie, you are clearly a god amongst men!

Bummer that it cant be recorded live. Perhaps a firmware update suggestion to be added to the box!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5950
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Can you not record trigger of step repeat or note repeat into the sequencer? Can get it working fine triggered live but not at all on sequencer
doesn't record your presses no :-(

it can be programmed in via the settings page though, goto settings, press RPT (11), select an instrument and select a step/s you want note repeat to be active on and then turn on note repeat (make it lit) and select a repeat level from 1-8 (the flashing lights), done.

i have step repeat bugs/weird behaviour. it will not operate on two patterns and yet others it is fine.... i must have done something but i cannot figure out what, new pattern fine, pattern 1-9 fine, pattern 10 and 14 no go.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5951
Gear Addict
 
Klankdroid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
doesn't record your presses no :-(

it can be programmed in via the settings page though, goto settings, press RPT (11), select an instrument and select a step/s you want note repeat to be active on and then turn on note repeat (make it lit) and select a repeat level from 1-8 (the flashing lights), done.

i have step repeat bugs/weird behaviour. it will not operate on two patterns and yet others it is fine.... i must have done something but i cannot figure out what, new pattern fine, pattern 1-9 fine, pattern 10 and 14 no go.
Could always try a factory reset, by pressing setting and then tap/hold + step 16 then it says wait and then done, then powercycle the Rd-8, but be aware it erases all patterns 2 and once the combination is pressed it starts, there is no confirmation anymore
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5952
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
would be cool to have a couple of bars original 808 bass drum solo for seeing what's what in term of behaviour !
I did this earlier in the thread so people had a reference point - have a look back through my posts!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5953
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
autofill and how to program? i am out of ideas

thanks anyone
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5954
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
As promised, in wave format over 64 beats for my Scottish friend Bignatius

Recorded into RME UFX and was careful not to clip. Kick from individual output, kick volume pulled back to the orange mark to stop it slightly overdriving. Raw files, might sound quiet so turn it up

Decay full on all of these

0002 Straight beat, no accent

0004 Straight beat, full accent

0005 Beat with sequential kicks showing the bounce - this one is interesting, the kicks off the quarter note don't have accent, so occasionally you hear them stall and sometimes they bounce - very random

0006 Beat with sequential kicks showing the bounce - every kick has accent, bounce goes all over the place, sounds fantastic

0007 more of a breakbeat, with accent on all kicks, to show bounce

0008 BONUS Showing kick duration from min->max, 120BPM as proper house music should be Accent on full, I pull access back to zero near the end
Found it - page 129

Edit: damn, doesn’t include the attachments when quoted

Edit: bottom of this page
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5955
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
OK so the filter is dependent on the wave designer being on we all know this and we can automate the filter - the pattern saves the filter sweeps or step settings/plocks bla bla, great.

IT DOES NOT save the (wd) wave designer on/off state for each inst: / patt separately so the filter auto is useless unless you can remember what inst: had wave designer on. example - place a filter on a snare roll, you will need the WD on to hear it, save, goto a different pattern where you don't want want WD on snare and save, now go back to the one with the filter sweep on, no WD is on so there is no filter sweep OR if you turn it on then it is on the other patterns too.

is it just me?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5956
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
OK so the filter is dependent on the wave designer being on we all know this and we can automate the filter - the pattern saves the filter sweeps or step settings/plocks bla bla, great.

IT DOES NOT save the (wd) wave designer on/off state for each inst: / patt separately so the filter auto is useless unless you can remember what inst: had wave designer on. example - place a filter on a snare roll, you will need the WD on to hear it, save, goto a different pattern where you don't want want WD on snare and save, now go back to the one with the filter sweep on, no WD is on so there is no filter sweep OR if you turn it on then it is on the other patterns too.

is it just me?
FX Bus preference can be : song , global or pattern

Manual, page 16
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5957
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot View Post
FX Bus preference can be : song , global or pattern

Manual, page 16
brilliant so it was just me, nice 1
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5958
Lives for gear
 
re5etuk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
autofill and how to program? i am out of ideas

thanks anyone
Select pattern 16
Program a beat ( this is one of 4 auto fill patterns )
Save it
Select pattern 1
Play it ( assuming it’s got a beat in it )
Hit auto fill and pattern 16
Once pattern1 has played it’ll jump to pattern 16 , play it then auto return to 1

So if you want quick fill change step count to 4 or something.
I’ve only tried it in pattern / step mode but it seems to work
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5959
Lives for gear
 
re5etuk's Avatar
I didn’t realise the manual had been posted. Maybe I missed it already mentioned in this thread. ?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5960
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Found it - page 129

Edit: damn, doesn’t include the attachments when quoted

Edit: bottom of this page
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
fanx! found em & will give them a goodlisten today or tomorrow
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5961
Lives for gear
 
Polymooger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
I didn’t realise the manual had been posted. Maybe I missed it already mentioned in this thread. ?
Post #5879 . For some reason I can't link to it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5962
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
Select pattern 16
Program a beat ( this is one of 4 auto fill patterns )
Save it
Select pattern 1
Play it ( assuming it’s got a beat in it )
Hit auto fill and pattern 16
Once pattern1 has played it’ll jump to pattern 16 , play it then auto return to 1

So if you want quick fill change step count to 4 or something.
I’ve only tried it in pattern / step mode but it seems to work
Thanks re5etuk! I had total brain fade and totally forgot we were working in 808 world , I am stuck in different behaviour right now and need to snap out of it. That said I can't understand why we have adopted that 12 and 4 method instead of having an available fill in the background for every pattern but hey ho.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5963
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
@ Maffez

While you are crazy modding is there any way of getting the cymbal to go shorter @ minimum settings while keeping its length when turned to max?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
@ Maffez

While you are crazy modding is there any way of getting the cymbal to go shorter @ minimum settings while keeping its length when turned to max?
should be doable with a switch - jacob korn did it with an og, so should be no prob for the rd

look at those nice pics here: http://jacobkorn.de/news/roland-tr-808-modrepair.html
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5965
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Cool! So I would be able to sync my MPC3000 with RD8 using Sync24? Would it be better timing-wise than midi?
MPC3000 doesn't have din sync, so no.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5966
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Ok, this removing flam and probability from every step of every instrument didn't seem so bad when I first encountered it but it is now getting very old very fast

To counter it ive ended up making a template pattern, I'm having to copy that template across the machine so I don't get unwanted processing. This is really poor sequencer design Behringer, sorry but who approved this method of all processing on all steps as standard? I have to make 256 copies of a totally blank pattern where I have to remove everything from every step of EVERY instrument instead of just switching flam / probability etc on the steps when I want it this is a serious workflow flaw and a massive waste of users time.

I hope someone looks at this because you're surely going to get a lot of annoyed users.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5967
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Ok, this removing flam and probability from every step of every instrument didn't seem so bad when I first encountered it but it is now getting very old very fast

To counter it ive ended up making a template pattern, I'm having to copy that template across the machine so I don't get unwanted processing. This is really poor sequencer design Behringer, sorry but who approved this method of all processing on all steps as standard? I have to make 256 copies of a totally blank pattern where I have to remove everything from every step of EVERY instrument instead of just switching flam / probability etc on the steps when I want it this is a serious workflow flaw and a massive waste of users time.

I hope someone looks at this because you're surely going to get a lot of annoyed users.
I think that "everything on" and the Tempo having decimals (well I'd like 2 decimal places) are the two things I've noticed that would be good if they were changed.
I'd imagine the best solution for the on/off would be to have the option available in the section where you set Global, Pattern etc... Just have All On/All Off as a sub-category then everyone gets what they want.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5968
Gear Addict
 
Bilb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
Post #5879 . For some reason I can't link to it.
The linking system on GS has been buggered for months. It's impossible to search for a post properly as clicking the link that leads to it takes you to the completely wrong page. No idea if/when they'll be doing owt about it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5969
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy.hudd View Post
I think that "everything on" and the Tempo having decimals (well I'd like 2 decimal places) are the two things I've noticed that would be good if they were changed.
I'd imagine the best solution for the on/off would be to have the option available in the section where you set Global, Pattern etc... Just have All On/All Off as a sub-category then everyone gets what they want.
Indeed

Personally i can't imagine any case where anybody would want all on though, who wants a flam on every step of a kick, snare, hat, cymbal tom etc all at the same time? Better still is probability, laughable

Love the machine and they did a great job but I truly hate the software right now
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5970
Gear Addict
 
weirdfishee's Avatar
 

Last night i followed the instructions for flam and it was effecting every voice which sounded horrible.

Glad to hear its not just me being thick then!

I love the sound of this unit but the sequencer is pretty meh. Maybe i am just spoilt with all the choices of elektron stuff but this sequencer feels really backwards. Whoever took this sequencer task on at behringer ought to be kept well away from the rd9, no offence.

Happy they are open to improvements through firmware though. I will likely just be using as a sound module and do all my sequencing in the daw for now until it all seems a bit more user friendly.

Had a play last night and man...it does sound brilliant. Love the snare, hats and bass drum.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump