The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
Strange because on my synths I notice everything when I turn the knobs with a headphone plugged in.
Maybe this is done because it was on the original TR808 the same?
The og had no wavedesigner or filter ;-) It's justdesigned that way, I find it also weird but no dealbreaker, Im more worried for the random dropouts I have on the bassdrum, some others here are experiencing drop outs 2, waiting for the firmware fix...
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
No wavedesigner or filter on the headphone output is normal, only on the line out.

so a headphone mix/session will sound very different to what is actually happening, that sucks and monitoring external is the answer then - fair enough but still sucks, HP out should be a copy of the main mix
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

i assume you guys/girls are using TRS cables on the main?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
The crazy low output of my unit was one of the first things i noticed too. I use an external preamp now to resolve the issue but yeah, you are not alone on that one
have you checked the individual outputs?
i think they are significantly louder than the main output - not that my main output is that quiet, but i did notice there was a big difference between running an instrument through the main out and then through it's own output.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
i assume you guys/girls are using TRS cables on the main?
Are the mains balanced? If not, wouldn’t a TS cable be the best option?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

I tried trs and ts, same outcome. Have to admit i never tried the individual outs tho as was waiting to pick up a soundcraft usb mixer before going that route. Happy to hear the individual outputs give out decent gain tho for when i do go that route
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Dropouts

Regarding the dropouts:

Are you experiencing the same issue through the individual out or via the headphone output?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Also noticed the very low output on mains and same on the indiv. outputs.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurd0 View Post
Regarding the dropouts:

Are you experiencing the same issue through the individual out or via the headphone output?

Only the headphone output I have tried, will try tomorrow by feeding the individual bassdrum output back in the line in and see if I still have it dropping out.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter7508 View Post
Also noticed the very low output on mains and same on the indiv. outputs.
really, the same on the individual output too? although - i wouldn't say the main out of mine is super quiet, but it is not loud either - i can put the master volume up full without worrying about blowing my speakers.

mine is about 5-6db difference between the running an instrument through the main output and the individual output volume.

edit. i also wonder if there is a difference in sound quality in general from running the individual outs and the main out? i assume it totally bypasses the wave designer circuit, and obviously bypassing something else which is causing the volume drop from the main out.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
Good build quality, yes the face is hard plastic but so what, it's built very well. There does seem to be an issue that occurs every so often where it misses a beat or rather adds a beat, strange behavior but perhaps an underlying setting, i have heard it on the Bd and Cp, very strange. However, very pleased with it, great value
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-20190916_191605.jpg  
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Plastic sucks. I thought the whole time it was made of metal.

Also as in my pic the diode bleeds light to the surrounding buttons.

Some weird behavior here as well with the seq.
Adding steps etc. Can be fixed in FW I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-356288bb-9551-445e-84ee-d04849772789.jpg  
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Are the mains balanced? If not, wouldn’t a TS cable be the best option?
Yeah servo balanced, TRS on the return too
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

so we have very clear and what seems easy to spot FW issues that will be getting worked on hardcore i expect, how these have not come up in testing and with the so called early hardware testers in the field i don't know

pants but so long as they are on it
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
Good build quality, yes the face is hard plastic but so what, it's built very well. There does seem to be an issue that occurs every so often where it misses a beat or rather adds a beat, strange behavior but perhaps an underlying setting, i have heard it on the Bd and Cp, very strange. However, very pleased with it, great value

I have the same thing on the bassdrum, sounds like it drops the bassdrum on one step, very random, they are working on a firmware fix
Old 16th September 2019
Wow, some of this is really disappointing to read. I may wait a while to see if all the bugs get sorted before I pick one up. Was looking forward to it, but I'll tap the brakes for a bit.
Old 16th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilverLXVIII View Post
Ive just cancelled my thomann order after i saw the status had changed to on request which is saying theres no eta for shipments, im just glad BAX came through.
Be glad you're not in the states because there is no ETA whatsoever on the RD8...or the Odyssey. The Odyssey has been out for at least a month in the UK, nothing here at all.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
The crazy low output of my unit was one of the first things i noticed too. I use an external preamp now to resolve the issue but yeah, you are not alone on that one
Sounds as a good solution but what you gonna do if you want to use all the mono outputs?
I can't see myself using a preamp for 11 outputs.
If Behringer doesn't come up with a solution very quick I'll send mine back to Bax and have a refund and wait till they solve this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
The og had no wavedesigner or filter ;-) It's justdesigned that way
Haha, ofcourse, I never had one so I didn't realize this.

But the low gain on the inputs is a dealbreaker for me because I want to mix all the mono outs to an interface and don't see a solution for it.

I hope Uli will post on the forum for a solution quickly.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
Be glad you're not in the states because there is no ETA whatsoever on the RD8...or the Odyssey. The Odyssey has been out for at least a month in the UK, nothing here at all.
Is it always this bad for you guys out there when new gear comes out from across the pond.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Hmm.. I'm in Canada - when mine comes from Thomann will I need some electrical voltage thingy? I have a brick that changes the prongs for various regions, but will I need some other piece?

Also funny how people complain this won't have the unpredictable mojo of the original but then don't want it randomly dropping notes while playing... (haha)
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds as a good solution but what you gonna do if you want to use all the mono outputs?
I can't see myself using a preamp for 11 outputs.
If Behringer doesn't come up with a solution very quick I'll send mine back to Bax and have a refund and wait till they solve this problem.
From what people have said in the thread only the main out has low gain, don't think you'll need to preamp the individual outs.

Low gain on the master likely isn't something that can be fixed in software, probably isn't so quiet when all instruments sound at once with accent (likely why the level is so low)
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Stop complaining guys.. still a great unit for 299.- it's unreal
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Wait till you get yours and plug the main out in your interface.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
But the low gain on the inputs is a dealbreaker for me because I want to mix all the mono outs to an interface and don't see a solution for it.

I hope Uli will post on the forum for a solution quickly.
Have you tested the volume of the individual outputs?
Like I said, they are about 6db louder on my unit.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wait till you get yours and plug the main out in your interface.
Use a mixer, that's what the gain knob is made for
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Head
Just to add BAX have only 13 units left so for anyone still wanting one better move it as I reckon they will be sold by tomorrow.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
This is complainslutz, or harassslutz, or attackslutz.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
This is complainslutz, or harassslutz, or attackslutz.
Yes, so many 80h8ers
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

@ Tester Dave

Will reversing the color ordering of the step sequencer buttons (and knobs)

void the warranty? Asking for a friend.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search