The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
40 mins bored me, i found this vid below better.

Some Analord vibes going on
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
Their final verdict seemed to be that Roland's recent digital recreations are superior.
No, the verdict was that the clones (RD-8, Yocto) fall short as far as reproducing the sound of the original TR-808 is concerned. Digital clones were not part of the comparison.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
In a nutshell the RD-8 sucks is what the test says.
No, he doesn't. He just names the remaining slight differences, which may be significant for dedicated users and fans of the original.

To my ears the Behringer RD-8 has already reached the clear no. 2 spot behind the original, ahead of all other clones and models/VAs out there, including Roland's. That is quite something, isn't it? But still, I would wish it came even a bit closer.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
Don't recall it being discussed so far but has anyone checked how the conditional trigs and midi out port work together? You'd hope that when a hit is "missed" by the RD-8 then the corresponding note out data is also skipped when sequencing other gear.

I don't have any reason to suspect that it doesn't work like that (other firmware issues notwithstanding) but just thought I'd see if any owners (or @ Tester Dave ) can confirm.
i shall inform you tomorrow all being well with parcel force
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
No, he doesn't. He just names the remaining slight differences, which may be significant for dedicated users and fans of the original.

To my ears the Behringer RD-8 has already reached the clear no. 2 spot behind the original, ahead of all other clones and models/VAs out there, including Roland's. That is quite something, isn't it? But still, I would wish it came even a bit closer.

Yes true, if the RD-8 sounds that good and very close to the original with all the extra possibilties built in for a price that almost everybody can afford I dare to say that it's a new milestone.
Because now you can make all kinds of sounds that weren't possible with the original, for me it's a winner.
Big thumbs up for Behringer.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester Dave View Post
That's the first time we've heard of that - will add it to the test/repro list

Thanks

Dave (Music Tribe Manchester)

Just had a skip/drop without touching it, so its random happening I checked the probability setting it was 100... Noticed that probabilty standard for all instruments is on, would it not be better to be by default off... for all steps/instruments

Other thing I cant find out is how to copy a pattern to another one and where are all the save locations cause now I can only select 16 patterns... I really need a manual for this sort of things....
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
Yes true, if the RD-8 sounds that good and very close to the original with all the extra possibilties built in for a price that almost everybody can afford I dare to say that it's a new milestone.
Because now you can make all kinds of sounds that weren't possible with the original, for me it's a winner.
Big thumbs up for Behringer.
You should take a look at the RD-8 mod thread, potential to expand the sound range so much that it practically becomes a new instrument :o
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
No, the verdict was that the clones (RD-8, Yocto) fall short as far as reproducing the sound of the original TR-808 is concerned. Digital clones were not part of the comparison.
My mistake. I read a couple articles this morning and made the mistake of posting before finishing my first cup of coffee. Must have mixed up the Amazona article with something else.

Still, their assessment of the RD is pretty brutal.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Just had a skip/drop without touching it, so its random happening I checked the probability setting it was 100... Noticed that probabilty standard for all instruments is on, would it not be better to be by default off... for all steps/instruments

Other thing I cant find out is how to copy a pattern to another one and where are all the save locations cause now I can only select 16 patterns... I really need a manual for this sort of things....
Hi Klankdroid

Press the "copy" button
Use the "tap/hold" button to toggle between the live pattern or the pattern stored at the selected location
Press the step key for the pattern that you want to copy from
Press the "copy" button
Press the step key for the location you want to copy to
Press the "copy" button to complete the action

All voices and parameters are copied.

We are working on the manual issue, apologies that it is taking so long

Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d0ecea9 View Post
Cheers, still a good bit of button pressing though. Guess some of us are used to using a switch to change time sigs.
You can also select timesig by pressing setting and then one of the right step buttons with the corresponding timesig labeled above it, that way only 2 presses
Old 16th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:

You can save 16 patterns in a song. You have to
select another song to save the next 16 patterns.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut
I don't really get what that Amazona test is trying to do. If they're going like for like tuning parameters, then yes, it's not the same. What I want is for the RD-8 to be tuned the same, sequenced the same, and levelled the same. Then we can do a comparison.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Well at least they got the cowbell right.
Old 16th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hello Dave

Here a audiofile of my tom sektion with clicking toms .
The click is on the begining of every tone.
After the silence i acivate the Waveshaper.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C4...1QnVXwhOOzYtyq
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
Just read the Amazona review. It's possible that some nuance was lost in translation, but that was pretty savage. They went in for an instrument by instrument breakdown if what they thought the RD does wrong.

I absolutely want to check this out for myself in the shops when it makes its way over to the states, but looks like that will be a while. Regardless of the reviews, I can only imagine they will sell a gazillion of these things.
They got called out as behringer fanboys as they posted a few “infomercial” style articles about behringer. Maybe they want to “rebalance”
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Is anyone experiencing dropout on the bassdrum, I had it now when just playing the drumbass 4/4 pattern and the rimshot, changed it 2 claves en when I touched the level to turn it up I had a 1 step drop out ...
But it happens random also cant figure out a pattern why its happening, do I have a faulty unit ?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Hello Dave

Here a audiofile of my tom sektion with clicking toms .
The click is on the begining of every tone.
After the silence i acivate the Waveshaper.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C4...1QnVXwhOOzYtyq
Hi Ron

To be honest they sound like what I expected them to. I will share your recording with my colleagues. I will also get our TR808 out tomorrow and do an A/B comparison

Old 16th September 2019
Gear Head
Ive just cancelled my thomann order after i saw the status had changed to on request which is saying theres no eta for shipments, im just glad BAX came through.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Is anyone experiencing dropout on the bassdrum, I had it now when just playing the drumbass 4/4 pattern and the rimshot, changed it 2 claves en when I touched the level to turn it up I had a 1 step drop out ...
But it happens random also cant figure out a pattern why its happening, do I have a faulty unit ?
This might be connected to the other drop out issue, which is being worked on. As soon as we have a stable firmware update I will post a link in this thread.

Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
Waiting for the inevitble RD-8 sample pack.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester Dave View Post
This might be connected to the other drop out issue, which is being worked on. As soon as we have a stable firmware update I will post a link in this thread.

Ok tnx, I tried different headphones and another poweroutlet but still the same... its totally random happening, but most of the times when touching a knob or button, always 1 step dropout...
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

big ups @ Tester Dave for supporting this crazy place
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear83 View Post
I did before i posted about it and at least one other person on the thread has the same problem. No probability, no randomization used.
I have the same problem, simple 4/4 pattern, random small audio dropouts on the bassdrum sometimes when turning a knob or pushing a button, kinda annoying... hope the firmware update will solve this
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Received my RD-8 2 hours ago.

Few things I notice; have to set my master on the Rd-8 at 80% and my inputs on my interface about 45/50 % to have a 0 db signal.
Is it normal to have such a low gain?
Most of my synths I play them about 30% to have a 0 db signal.
And some noise to with that gain level ofcourse.
I've some other analog synths but no noise like this one.

Second thing I notice, when I have my headphone on the headphone out of the RD-8 I hear the sound but when I turn the knobs of the wavedesigner or the filter I hear no difference, I only hear it thru my monitors or the headphone out of my interface.
It seems that the wave designer/filter part is only connected with the main out and not the phono out.
That's something that is not suppose to be I believe?

Just tried randomization, on my device it works okay.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

Second thing I notice, when I have my headphone on the headphone out of the RD-8 I hear the sound but when I turn the knobs of the wavedesigner or the filter I hear no difference, I only hear it thru my monitors or the headphone out of my interface.

No wavedesigner or filter on the headphone output is normal, only on the line out.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Received my RD-8 2 hours ago.

Few things I notice; have to set my master on the Rd-8 at 80% and my inputs on my interface about 45/50 % to have a 0 db signal.
Is it normal to have such a low gain?
Most of my synths I play them about 30% to have a 0 db signal.
And some noise to with that gain level ofcourse.
I've some other analog synths but no noise like this one.

It seems that the wave designer/filter part is only connected with the main out and not the phono out.

The crazy low output of my unit was one of the first things i noticed too. I use an external preamp now to resolve the issue but yeah, you are not alone on that one
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

The low output of the main outs is mentioned in the Amazona review. But the single outs seem to have normal level.

What makes the main out worse is that it seems to have inverted phase (a signal will make your speaker retire first and only then push forward). That's really akward and should not stay like that. Behringer should fix both urgently and
- give the main out normal line level
- make it start with normal phase (and not phase inversion)
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Just got mine. First impression. It's plastic! What a big let down. Takes away the 808 feel instantly.
The rimshot volume is 10 times higher in volume than any other sound. The clav on the same channel is not sounding right at all.
Are your the same or is there something wrong with mine? My real 808 has not the same issue. Neither my Yocto.

Knobs and buttons feels fine.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No wavedesigner or filter on the headphone output is normal, only on the line out.
Strange because on my synths I notice everything when I turn the knobs with a headphone plugged in.
Maybe this is done because it was on the original TR808 the same?
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter7508 View Post
Just got mine. First impression. It's plastic! What a big let down. Takes away the 808 feel instantly.
The rimshot volume is 10 times higher in volume than any other sound. The clav on the same channel is not sounding right at all.
Are your the same or is there something wrong with mine? My real 808 has not the same issue. Neither my Yocto.

Knobs and buttons feels fine.
I wonder if those have trim adjustments inside.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search