The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
Midi seems to double trigger ( tried on both digitakt and digitone with varying note length ) , seems a bit weird that wasn’t checked. They both seem fine on all the other gear I’ve tried.

It’s a shame I can’t used step repeat when synced to external midi too.

Digitakt / digitone midi out to rd8 midi in only ( no midi loops or anything )

But it does cut through the mix nicely.
We have discovered that some MIDI controllers do not handle note off as per the MIDI spec, which can cause double triggers to occur. There is already a fix written for this, but we're looking to sort all of the issues that have been reported out and do one big upgrade, rather than releasing two or three small ones that people might miss.

Thank you for your patience, and for reporting these issues - unfortunately we don't have every possible controller here to test.

Dave (Music Tribe Manchester)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Does anyone have the dimensions available? They don’t seem to be posted online. Trying to see if I have space for it. Thx!
Dammit - I knew I left my tape measure by the front door for a reason. I'll bring it in tomorrow if somebody else doesn't post them first. It is a fairly sizeable beast, though not as bulky as the original.

While we're on the subject of originals it should be pointed out that no two pieces of old, analogue ever sound quite the same as each other, so our TR808 might not sound exactly the same as somebody else's.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Hello, I have a question.

My Rd-8 generates a click noise in the Tom/Conga section.

Is this normal or is the RD 8 defective?
I don't have a click on mine, will ask colleagues to check theirs too when they're in (we're on flexitime, and Im an early bird) and get back to you

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Dave.
I will make a Audio Clip today.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

@ Tester Dave
good morning dave,
just wanna ask if the "trigger issue" is also part of that update?
Or how can I find out which unit is broken(RD or MS)
I can record the triggers to audio later if that may help.
have a nice day
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot View Post
@ Tester Dave
good morning dave,
just wanna ask if the "trigger issue" is also part of that update?
Or how can I find out which unit is broken(RD or MS)
I can record the triggers to audio later if that may help.
have a nice day
Hi KomaBot - we are looking at everything that has been reported, here and elsewhere.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
You mean the KA350? I’ve had 3 of them in my time (still have two), and all of them generate a very faint but annoying high pitched whine no matter where they’re plugged, whereas the random third party one that came with my secondhand Monologue is silent. They’re the only plugs I leave unconnected until needed as they bloody blag my head after a while! Need to buy myself some more off brand ones.
Yeah that's the bugger, I have no noise from mine and I've got three of them, weird that you suffer with originals and not copies I didn't even know a clone existed

You in uk or elsewhere?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

On an rd8 Related note , mine is on its way :-) looking forward to some electro jams

Now I need to open a slot for it somewhere
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Yep mine is on its way too I have already made room to accommodate the beast, dam I feel like a kid at Christmas roll on tomorrow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's the full Amazona review with high quality samples, explanations on technical differences and testing methodology:

Quote:
Vergleichstest: Behringer RD-8 vs TR-808 vs Yocto - AMAZONA.de

Der Behringer TR-8 Drumcomputer tritt an, in die legendäre Roland TR-808 ersetzen zu wollen. Gelingt dieser Anspruch klanglich zu 100%?
This is what it is. On a later article they promise to look at the RD as an "inspired by" drum machine that can make a lot of sense on its own, where other considerations like price and bang/buck make the most of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy View Post
Dimensions (H x W x D) 77 x 498 x 265 mm (3.0 x 19.6 x 10.4")
I can confirm that these measurements are correct
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Yeah that's the bugger, I have no noise from mine and I've got three of them, weird that you suffer with originals and not copies I didn't even know a clone existed

You in uk or elsewhere?
Thankfully the noise is coming directly from the plug itself and doesn't manifest in the signal path (that I can hear at least). Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to high pitch noise, I didn't last a week with Adam T5Vs as they were too hissy (had to swap them for A5Xs, what a shame...) - gimme a decade or two and age will see to that!

The plugs aren't exactly clones as it is one of the standard power connector types, just a lot less widely used than the slightly wider one that everyone else fits! I've also got an old variable FX power supply with swappable ends that would work, if only the wire hadn't been chewed by an errant rabbit about a decade ago...

Aye just up in Manchester - was at the Korg synth presentation a few months back, need to find more of those!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi guys. I recently received my RD-8. I love it and it sounds a lot like my 808.

I adore the wave designer and filter but i can't seem to figure out how to record them through the individual outs. Is it even possible?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Stace View Post
Hi guys. I recently received my RD-8. I love it and it sounds a lot like my 808.

I adore the wave designer and filter but i can't seem to figure out how to record them through the individual outs. Is it even possible?
Hi Stacey - the filter and wave designer don't show up on the individual outputs, because they are buss based. Hope this helps.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Amazona test (first part: direct sound comparison) is very well done, with great commentary by a very well informed (technically and musically) tester, with lots of audio comparison material.

I don't know if it's possible for Behringer to get some more adjustments done, at this point in development? It would be great if they could and would adjust a bit, else the differences towards the original are bigger than I first perceived, and than they should be IMO. The RD-8 still is a great tool as it is, in my ears better than the Yocto, and even significantly better than the Roland digital modelling. But it would be extremely welcome if Behringer could get it at last a little bit closer to the original.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Any news on the user manual landing guys?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Here's the full Amazona review with high quality samples, explanations on technical differences and testing methodology:

This is what it is. On a later article they promise to look at the RD as an "inspired by" drum machine that can make a lot of sense on its own, where other considerations like price and bang/buck make the most of it.
In a nutshell the RD-8 sucks is what the test says.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
I wouldn't say that. I think it comes down to being a great drum machine on its own but not really that close as an exact clone. This is very much what I think of the Jomox Xbase 09 vs the 909 and I regard that Jomox very highly and an excellent value in the used market. MFB 522 is another amazing "inspired by" drum machine that really takes a sonic signature of its own. I think with time the RD-8 will be seen much like these.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
There would in essence need to be hardware changes rather than software changes to get that little bit closer to the OG 808.

My RD-8 arrives tomorrow, will see how it fares against my OG 808.
Looking forward to your comments.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester Dave View Post
I can confirm that these measurements are correct
it's documented...

https://media63.music-group.com/medi...D-8_QSG_WW.pdf

Page 32 - Specifications.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Don't recall it being discussed so far but has anyone checked how the conditional trigs and midi out port work together? You'd hope that when a hit is "missed" by the RD-8 then the corresponding note out data is also skipped when sequencing other gear.

I don't have any reason to suspect that it doesn't work like that (other firmware issues notwithstanding) but just thought I'd see if any owners (or @ Tester Dave ) can confirm.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
Don't recall it being discussed so far but has anyone checked how the conditional trigs and midi out port work together? You'd hope that when a hit is "missed" by the RD-8 then the corresponding note out data is also skipped when sequencing other gear.

I don't have any reason to suspect that it doesn't work like that (other firmware issues notwithstanding) but just thought I'd see if any owners (or @ Tester Dave ) can confirm.
That's an interesting idea - I will give that a go, it might give us some useful information

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yes mine has arrived today... What a beast :-)
@ testerdave
first testing brings out note stealing, when coming out mute the bassdrum drops one note, had it happening 2 times but cant reproduce it.

I unmute 3 buttons at once and deactivate mute and then it happens, please look into it cause I have seen it mentioned by others

Firmware 1.1.8

Oh Yes we really need that manual !!

Keep up the good work

Last edited by Klankdroid; 4 weeks ago at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Firmware
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
I swear there are people being paid (or bots being deployed) to say canned negative responses to the RD-8 on Reddit and YouTube. One in particular I've seen on, I think, every RD-8 video so far is an account called "Halo 3 Special Tactics".

Either that or they're a little deranged.
He's still at it (below)... must be patrolling youtube like a hawk that one.

Quote:
10 mins in so far, love it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
@ Tester Dave , i cannot see any setting for different pre-scale time sigs as per OG 808, apart from setting step length per instrument. Would love to see this implemented. ie:

1. 6/8
2. 3/4
3. 4/4
4. 2/4
Step length is set on a pattern/song/global basis, which can be changed by pressing "settings", then set key 5, then using the "tap/hold" button to scroll through the options until you get to "step size preference". You can then use the data control to select your preferred option.

Effectively 1/8 is 2/4, 1/8T is 3/4, 1/16 (the default) is 4/4, 1/16T is 6/8 and 1/32 is 8/8.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Yes mine has arrived today... What a beast :-)
@ testerdave
first testing brings out note stealing, when coming out mute the bassdrum drops one note, had it happening 2 times but cant reproduce it.

I unmute 3 buttons at once and deactivate mute and then it happens, please look into it cause I have seen it mentioned by others

Firmware 1.1.8

Oh Yes we really need that manual !!

Keep up the good work
That's the first time we've heard of that - will add it to the test/repro list

Thanks

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just read the Amazona review. It's possible that some nuance was lost in translation, but that was pretty savage. They went in for an instrument by instrument breakdown if what they thought the RD does wrong.

I absolutely want to check this out for myself in the shops when it makes its way over to the states, but looks like that will be a while. Regardless of the reviews, I can only imagine they will sell a gazillion of these things.

Last edited by cogsy; 4 weeks ago at 02:12 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
Just read the Amazona review. It's possible that some nuance was lost in translation, but that was pretty savage. They went in for an instrument by instrument breakdown if what they thought the RD does wrong. Their final verdict seemed to be that Roland's recent digital recreations are superior.

I absolutely want to check this out for myself in the shops when it makes its way over to the states, but looks like that will be a while. Regardless of the reviews, I can only imagine they will sell a gazillion of these things.
Jeeesus, I'm amazed they were able to hear either drum machine at all over all that axe grinding!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d0ecea9 View Post
Cheers, still a good bit of button pressing though. Guess some of us are used to using a switch to change time sigs.
I guess so, but personally I like the flexibility of being able to set all the parameters on a pattern-by-pattern basis, even though it means a lot more button pushing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search