Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_cochrane View Post
What an entirely frustrating video
Did they make no attempt to match tuning, decay and output level whatsoever
So true.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I never had an original 808 but there's something really strange in that amazona's comparison. Sure the 808 parts sound better but it's like it's processed when you hear that growl in the decay of snare+clap that's something I never heard in any recording of 808 from the 80's.

Also the cowbell sound has shorter decay. It sounds cool from a modern perspective but samely, 808's cowbell in 80's records sounded more like the two clones. I suppose their 808 has been specifically tuned by some tech and is no longer sounding like a factory unit.

From what I heard in other videos from the RD-8 there sure is some way to make it sound convincing so I just ordered mine thank to Jamie Munroe
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Yeah, thats quite a bad comparison. Levels are off. Even though i’m concinced the RD8 is not a 100% match they wont be that different.

Will recieve my unit tomorrow, pretty excited! Might upload a comparison with the Cloud 808 (and make sure levels, tuning etc are matched).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I caved, like I knew I would. Ordered one from Bax, should hopefully arrive on Tuesday.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rsa View Post
I never had an original 808 but there's something really strange in that amazona's comparison. Sure the 808 parts sound better but it's like it's processed when you hear that growl in the decay of snare+clap that's something I never heard in any recording of 808 from the 80's.

Also the cowbell sound has shorter decay. It sounds cool from a modern perspective but samely, 808's cowbell in 80's records sounded more like the two clones. I suppose their 808 has been specifically tuned by some tech and is no longer sounding like a factory unit.

From what I heard in other videos from the RD-8 there sure is some way to make it sound convincing so I just ordered mine thank to Jamie Munroe
It sounds just like my 808 - Occam’s razor and all that!

The 808 does indeed sound abso****inglutely magnficent raw, unprocessed and in the flesh. Just as the 909 does - that one sounds hard as nails
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Mine is on the way got my shipping email an hour ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

that amazona video didn't even try to levelmatch or even get the kit balances to roughly the same across tested units

Not going to be surprised that there's a diff but I'm pretty sure its not as stark as this vid claims
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
The Behringer RD in contrast doesn't even have to nail the original 100%,
We're there already I see.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
Case in point: Neutron and Model D are now US $228 each, brand new, at Sweetwater. While I struggle to comprehend how anybody makes any money at that price, I do wonder how much these newer releases (RD-8, K-2, Pro-1, Crave, MS-1, VC340) will cost in a year or so.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I’m picking up a Neutron then. At that price it’s just a no-brainer.
Old 4 weeks ago
VST
Lives for gear

Maybe some people are just moving the dials to the same spots which is NOT the way to compare analog instruments. All the parameters and levels need to be matched by ear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Aye! but BAX is throwing in one of those snuggly fit BCA EU to UK adapters for free, of course not like the interchangable switching adapters that you get with the Neutron or boog.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/travel-pl...-to-uk-adapter
yeah those things aren't terrible wouldn't it be great if B provided something like the kp3? that Korg make where if we have to suffer small warts we should have interchangeable fittings so at least we have a one plug solution, adaptors in 2019? come on
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VST View Post
Maybe some people are just moving the dials to the same spots which is NOT the way to compare analog instruments. All the parameters and levels need to be matched by ear.
Honestly, they need to be both so people can compare the 2 ways. I like to see how companies interpret the same visual settings. Does 50% mean the same thing on these 2 units?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No video will ever convince me, one way or the other. I'm going to have to lay hands on both, at once, and have my way with them, side by side until I'm satisfied... so, like, a day or three.

I'll need time to program in all of the famous 808 beats, for reference purposes, compared against the original tracks themselves, in my studio, by me. Again, 1-3 days of time/effort.

That's (more or less) what it will take to know for sure WTF is up, how they compare, everything, levels set by you, controls set by you, blah blah, that's what it takes to know...

Until then, it's just 2nd hand opinions. It's more entertainment than serious basis for judgment.

See for yourselves. Then you'll know.

And until then, accept that you don't know...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rsa View Post

I'm glad you said that - the TR-808 cowbell sounded off to me and correct on the two clones, I also felt a lot was wrong with that video regarding tuning and levels and also the fact that that 808 is now donkeys years old and not new anymore, but yes, we won't be able to find a new TR-808 lol. But anyway I have a Yocto and would buy the RD-8 if my Yocto ever blows up or something....in other videos it sounds right or damn near enough to not matter....I have never used a real 808 but own countless 80's electro/other 12" s that use it.

The only thing on my Yocto that I'm not sure about are the congas/toms, they always sound better on tracks I own, I feel something may be off with them but maybe it was just how they use to process them on the OG Tr-808.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

RD mod thread is coming along nicely, @ Maffez has been busy
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
I'm glad you said that - the TR-808 cowbell sounded off to me and correct on the two clones, I also felt a lot was wrong with that video regarding tuning and levels and also the fact that that 808 is now donkeys years old and not new anymore, but yes, we won't be able to find a new TR-808 lol. But anyway I have a Yocto and would buy the RD-8 if my Yocto ever blows up or something....in other videos it sounds right or damn near enough to not matter....I have never used a real 808 but own countless 80's electro/other 12" s that use it.

The only thing on my Yocto that I'm not sure about are the congas/toms, they always sound better on tracks I own, I feel something may be off with them but maybe it was just how they use to process them on the OG Tr-808.
There is probably some brand new 808 at some independent music shop that did not sell so they put it up in a storage basement or attic and forgot about it. Such a unicorn must exist. :p
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
There is probably some brand new 808 at some independent music shop that did not sell so they put it up in a storage basement or attic and forgot about it. Such a unicorn must exist. :p
Well I just bought a JX3P that was mint, kept in the Roland case and only played very occasionally at home, never seen live or studio work in its life, so yeah they can exist...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

it's nice but it doesn't have nearly the depth or snap or punch of an 808, notably snare claps kick. good value tho.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
tuning and what feels like amplitude is not even close, what a poor attempt but hey ho

we can discuss all we like but one thing not up for discussion is the clap

OG smashes the crap out of the others

i will remedy this by having the clap routed to it's own verb pedal
It's worth noting that the RD-8 has an offset control for the clap which goes from hard snap/no verb through normal balance to muffled attack/splashy verb (based on an earlier demo of this behaviour).

They seem to have it set fairly short in this demo.

Actually looking again the offset is at about 1.30 so maybe it needs to be set fairly high to get enough tail?

Last edited by varntvar; 3 weeks ago at 02:53 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I just bought a JX3P that was mint, kept in the Roland case and only played very occasionally at home, never seen live or studio work in its life, so yeah they can exist...
Nice synth, I like it, but went with the JX8P because I just love those pads. I need to get a controller...so doyou use one or do it all on the front panel?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does anyone have the dimensions available? They don’t seem to be posted online. Trying to see if I have space for it. Thx!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Nice synth, I like it, but went with the JX8P because I just love those pads. I need to get a controller, you use one or do it all on the front panel?
It came with a mint PG-200 too, you can't use it while its set to midi - but its not that much of a problem if its not you main controller, you can play it using your main controller hooked to a PC/Daw, then if you want to edit a preset switch the switch over to controller, do your sound design/save the patch, switch it back to midi and carry on regardless. No issue at all. Just a bit of a hindrance, but not much.

I really get Juno 106 vibes from the chorus, it really reminds me of that synth more than anything else - I think it sounds great - a keeper...

I'm not sure if the JX8P is like the JX3P in that regard with switching the midi for the controller?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It came with a mint PG-200 too, you can't use it while its set to midi - but its not that much of a problem if its not you main controller, you can play it using your main controller hooked to a PC/Daw, then if you want to edit a preset switch the switch over to controller, do your sound design/save the patch, switch it back to midi and carry on regardless. No issue at all. Just a bit of a hindrance, but not much.

I really get Juno 106 vibes from the chorus, it really reminds me of that synth more than anything else - I think it sounds great - a keeper...
The prices are going crazy on the 106, even though there were so many made.

Sorry for going of topic people, back to your regularly scheduled bickering.

Last edited by Somebodyperson; 3 weeks ago at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Sorry, my brain is broken.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Does anyone have the dimensions available? They don’t seem to be posted online. Trying to see if I have space for it. Thx!
Dimensions (H x W x D) 77 x 498 x 265 mm (3.0 x 19.6 x 10.4")
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

I'm not sure if the JX8P is like the JX3P in that regard with switching the midi for the controller?
This may be of interest to you, obviously requires some modding (I'm sure it used to be cheaper):

https://riversynths.com/product/jx-3p-midi-expansion/

There's also a more expensive kiwitechnics mod which adds more functions (and is cheaper than I remembered):

https://www.kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm

The JX-3P was Roland's first MIDI synth. JX-8P was a couple of years later and AFAIK has full patch editing via SysEx.

Edit: Also sorry for more off topic content.

Last edited by varntvar; 3 weeks ago at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Off topic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy View Post
Dimensions (H x W x D) 77 x 498 x 265 mm (3.0 x 19.6 x 10.4")
Many Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
yeah those things aren't terrible wouldn't it be great if B provided something like the kp3? that Korg make where if we have to suffer small warts we should have interchangeable fittings so at least we have a one plug solution, adaptors in 2019? come on
You mean the KA350? I’ve had 3 of them in my time (still have two), and all of them generate a very faint but annoying high pitched whine no matter where they’re plugged, whereas the random third party one that came with my secondhand Monologue is silent. They’re the only plugs I leave unconnected until needed as they bloody blag my head after a while! Need to buy myself some more off brand ones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hello, I have a question.

My Rd-8 generates a click noise in the Tom/Conga section.

Is this normal or is the RD 8 defective?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

No, the JX-8P got this side of things spot on - you can use the PG-800 to control it even at the same time as sending it midi sysex!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search