The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 14th September 2019
  #5521
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
I’m curious as to how trim pots get set in the factory (not just for RD8 but the original 808 and other similar analog gear). Can they be set by measurement (eg oscilloscope) or do you think it would be done visually, or even by ear? Seems like an intense process whatever method you might use, and presumably all machines vary slightly?
I remember reading something talking about precise valued, frequencies, exact length in ms ect.. im pretty sure it was set by measurements.
I did it by ear without refering on “how a 808 should sound” but on my personal preferences. IME The most difficult instrument to set is the cowbell and cymbals
Old 15th September 2019
  #5522
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I agree with you regarding the bassdrum when compared to the TR808. However, the RD-8 bassdrum is no slouch either. It still sounds very good, maybe not exactly like an original 808, but very good in it's own way, and it can be tuned loooowww!!!!!! But yeah, I agree. It is definitely missing the bounce.

Again, that kick, that snare, and that clap in YOUR RD-8 sound absolutely SUPERB!!!! I hope all RD-8s sound like that. I can get my TR808 clap to sound like that if I compress and eq it. However, your RD-8 snare and clap sounds better by default than the snare and clap on either of my two TR808s!!!

I gotta get an RD-8 to compliment the 808s. I'll midi all of these machines up and use them together sequencing the best sounds from each with an MPC! What my TR808s fall short of, the RD-8 will make up for and vice versa.
Agreed
(I end up using 2 or 3 distortion plugins to get the sound I want, but no eq or compression)

My final verdict on the subject at hand is that the RD8 is a very good sounding interpretation of a classic machine (with some cool new features). At the same time they missed the opportunity to squeeze the last bit of 808 magic into the RD. Maybe because of technical constraints or just time and mullah peace out.


the BD went thru the built-in low pass, pulling down the transient. Perfect for downtempo, EDM.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5523
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
Did you open your 2 808?By changing the value of the trimming pots inside you are able to make all the instruments sound almost as you want, i can post pics of the trimming pots if needed.
Thanks. Yeah, I know about the trimming pot that affects the snare. In fact, I think it's TM4 which affects the noise level for both the snare and clap.

However, the truth is I'm afraid to open these things up, especially since they are modified. They are also very expensive nowadays and I'm no electronics technician so I definitely don't want to accidentally damage something while trying to get to the trimmer pots. Now, if one of my machines either have an issue or need servicing, I would send it to a professional tech who specializes in vintage gear and has worked on several 808s in the past. While he's servicing it, I would also have him fine tune the trimmer pots to my satisfaction. Of course, I would send him a recording of an 808 beat that has the instruments tuned similar to how I want mine so he'd know exactly how I want my machine to sound.

But yeah, If I was electronically inclined and a risk taker, opening the machines up and tuning them myself would be an option. However, I don't want to take that chance. Thanks anyway for the suggestion though.

Last edited by kvmoore; 15th September 2019 at 02:21 AM..
Old 15th September 2019
  #5524
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
Agreed
(I end up using 2 or 3 distortion plugins to get the sound I want, but no eq or compression)

My final verdict on the subject at hand is that the RD8 is a very good sounding interpretation of a classic machine (with some cool new features). At the same time they missed the opportunity to squeeze the last bit of 808 magic into the RD. Maybe because of technical constraints or just time and mullah peace out.


the BD went thru the built-in low pass, pulling down the transient. Perfect for downtempo, EDM.
Agreed. That RD-8 bumps HARD!!!
Old 15th September 2019
  #5525
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I know about the trimming pot that affects the snare. In fact, I think it's TM4 which affects the noise level for both the snare and clap.

However, the truth is I'm afraid to open these things up, especially since they are modified. They are also very expensive nowadays and I'm no electronics technician so I definitely don't want to accidentally damage something while trying to get to the trimmer pots. Now, if one of my machines either have an issue or need servicing, I would send it to a professional tech who specializes in vintage gear and has worked on several 808s in the past. While he's servicing it, I would also have him fine tune the trimmer pots to my satisfaction. Of course, I would send him a recording of an 808 beat that has the instruments tuned similar to how I want mine so he'd know exactly how I want my machine to sound.

But yeah, If I was electronically inclined and a risk taker, opening the machines up and tuning them myself would be an option. However, I don't want to take that chance. Thanks anyway for the suggestion though.
Don’t be afraid to open up gear. Start with something either broken or small. Right now is the best time to get a cheap synth and reverse engineer them. $223 for a Boog. If you’re uncomfortable opening up your 808, than maybe a opening up a RD-8 will help you gain that comfort?
Old 15th September 2019
  #5526
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxdkModexxx View Post
Don’t be afraid to open up gear. Start with something either broken or small. Right now is the best time to get a cheap synth and reverse engineer them. $223 for a Boog. If you’re uncomfortable opening up your 808, than maybe a opening up a RD-8 will help you gain that comfort?
heheh, there's some dedicated modder

by the looks of it the 808 is actually easier to handle when disassembling than the r8 on account of less to take apart and bigger parts as such - look at this crazy stuff here: http://jacobkorn.de/news/roland-tr-808-modrepair.html

if something breaks you need service, i.e. risk to calculate, but yes, indeed, working on the rd might give you some confidence - having modded my boog extensively i actually would dare to approach an og mini by now
Old 15th September 2019
  #5527
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
According to a Roland representative who demoed the Jupiter Xm, the A-core engine is not as CPU intensive as the ACB engine because it's not trying so hard to emulate analog behavior like ACB is. I think Roland should just improve their ACB modeling if they feel the just "have" to stay digital and not go back to analog. They can improve on the TR-8S, which already sounds way better than the TR-8. With that said trying to "perfectly" emulate an analog TR808 with digital modeling is definitely a tall order. I think they did a pretty good job of at least getting in the ballpark.

The RD-8, on the otherhand, IS analog and IS hard to beat, especially at it's price point.
Hey it was joke.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5528
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
RD8 users, have you tried the TRS return yet ? i assume aside from it's intended use it can operate as a straight mix input for something external
Old 15th September 2019
  #5529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
RD8 users, have you tried the TRS return yet ? i assume aside from it's intended use it can operate as a straight mix input for something external
yes, it can. put my boog through it on full volume and filter feedback with no clipping, so headroom seems okay to me
Old 15th September 2019
  #5530
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
yes, it can. put my boog through it on full volume and filter feedback with no clipping, so headroom seems okay to me
great news
Old 15th September 2019
  #5531
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Old 15th September 2019
  #5532
tok
Gear Addict
 

The problem with these comparison videos is it’s often done by people with all the gear and no ear

They are all different in this case. That’s for sure. Who knows if the person amplified those differences unintentionally in a (sincere) effort to compare
Old 15th September 2019
  #5533
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tok View Post
The problem with these comparison videos is it’s often done by people with all the gear and no ear

They are all different in this case. That’s for sure. Who knows if the person amplified those differences unintentionally in a (sincere) effort to compare
I wouldn’t call the Amazona crew “all gear and no ear”, that statement is so ignorant. These people do gear reviews for a living in one of the top audio gear sites in the world.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5534
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
The 808 sounds the best to me, but either of the others sound good in isolation, albeit both seem to suffer from similar differences to the hats and cymbals - must be the hardest bit to replicate

I’m looking forward to all the new electro, my favourite genre, being made!
Old 15th September 2019
  #5535
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Tnx. Interesting, the OG 808 seems to be tuned much lower than the clones. Love the growl/grit on the overall sound and tail on the clap of the OG. The clones sound more “civilized”. The dynamics of the OG 808 come across better in the RD8 than in the other clone, I prefer the OG 808 best, RD 8 second and the other clone last.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5536
Gear Addict
 
Zapman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
It could be because the Elektron gear is sending Note On with a value of 0 instead of a proper MIDI Note Off message. .....
Note on with value 0 is a proper note off according to midi spec. But it's often overlooked. Seems to me that such an obvious mistake should have been found during testing, at least by beta-testers actually using the gear. But hey, it's just software, it can be fixed later
Old 15th September 2019
  #5537
Gear Maniac
 

i remember when the tr-8 came out and people were like it sounds spot on, then it's close enough and finally meh.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5538
Lives for gear
 
Polymooger's Avatar
So much distortion on those examples even in HD - the cymbals and clap tails all sound like they're going through a flanger.

Agree the OG is best, then the RD8 but it's a way behind but maybe because individual levels haven't been matched properly.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5539
Gear Addict
 
jimknopf's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post
i remember when the tr-8 came out and people were like it sounds spot on, then it's close enough and finally meh.
The whole Roland ACB and other sample based modelling techiques have these two sides:
- they get close up to a certain point, sounding similar in a recognizeable way
- but in feel/sound in action, and in direct comparison, they rather are still more like decent VAs than like the originals.
So on one hand they are very useful synths and drum machines, on the other they still leave something to wish in constant use.

The Behringer RD in contrast doesn't even have to nail the original 100%, because
a) it is a very well sounding analog machine in it's own right
b) it still comes really close to the original, closer than any VA efforts
Old 15th September 2019
  #5540
Gear Addict
 
Klankdroid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
The whole Roland ACB and other sample based modelling techiques have these two sides:
- they get close up to a certain point, sounding similar in a recognizeable way
- but in feel/sound in action, and in direct comparison, they rather are still more like decent VAs than like the originals.
So on one hand they are very useful synths and drum machines, on the other they still leave something to wish in constant use.

The Behringer RD in contrast doesn't even have to nail the original 100%, because
a) it is a very well sounding analog machine in it's own right
b) it still comes really close to the original, closer than any VA efforts

I agree, put it next to a volca beats and see how much better it sounds, for only a small amount more, the Rd-8 is a winner... the Rd-9 will be 2, and I hope Uli you make a 707 clone the Rd-7 !!
Old 15th September 2019
  #5541
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
These people do gear reviews for a living
Most of the reviewers are more like "advanced hobbyists"
[Nothing against amazona.de]
Old 15th September 2019
  #5542
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
The 808 sounds the best to me, but either of the others sound good in isolation, albeit both seem to suffer from similar differences to the hats and cymbals - must be the hardest bit to replicate

I’m looking forward to all the new electro, my favourite genre, being made!
I’m looking forward to making electro with it
Old 15th September 2019
  #5543
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
we all know this is ridiculously low in cost but i just stopped and actually thought about it for the first time

£260 delivered FFS. I paid 30% more for little TT606 which i love but come on, £260 boody quid

BAX shop had 94 units 5 mins ago

They now have 93
Old 15th September 2019
  #5544
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
tuning and what feels like amplitude is not even close, what a poor attempt but hey ho

we can discuss all we like but one thing not up for discussion is the clap

OG smashes the crap out of the others

i will remedy this by having the clap routed to it's own verb pedal
Old 15th September 2019
  #5545
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
dear @ Uli Behringer , as no UK shops seem to have these things for @ least a month (if not more) and us UK customers who do not desire to wait are forced to go to Thomann and BAX, is there any chance you could hook me up with a CONTACT @ KIDDERMINSTER to help me out with a suitable 18v 1000 ma UK PSU (or at least point me to where i can get one) so i don't have to use a 3 pin adaptor?

My RD8 lands Tuesday which is great but a 2 prong is like having no gravy on my steak pie
Old 15th September 2019
  #5546
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Everyone has got the Clap now it seems ?


.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Everyone has got the Clap now it seems ?


Even though the OG 808 has a reverb tail when it's triggered i often put a 1.6ms Plate reverb on it. The same can be done with the RD-8.

yes i shall try to find a half way decent fix, of course no substitute for the real deal
Old 15th September 2019
  #5547
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
You can really hear the harmonic growl from the TR-808. RD-8 > the other clone.

People keep knocking Roland. I think the TR-08 sounds great. Much better than the TR-8 and very comparable to the RD-8.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5548
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Tnx. Interesting, the OG 808 seems to be tuned much lower than the clones. Love the growl/grit on the overall sound and tail on the clap of the OG. The clones sound more “civilized”. The dynamics of the OG 808 come across better in the RD8 than in the other clone, I prefer the OG 808 best, RD 8 second and the other clone last.
I probably couldn't pick these out of a mixed song but side by like this the original just seems to have a sonic edge with the interaction with each of the instruments- from claps to hihats etc it seems to just sound like they fit better.
Old 15th September 2019
  #5549
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
What an entirely frustrating video
Did they make no attempt to match tuning, decay and output level whatsoever
Old 15th September 2019
  #5550
Lives for gear
 
Pianolando's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_cochrane View Post
What an entirely frustrating video
Did they make no attempt to match tuning, decay and output level whatsoever
Yes, even the levels seemed quite a bit off there l, at least to my ears. I wonder how close you can get them if you try to match both tuning and output levels.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump