Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier View Post
Hi Dave,

It is V1.1.8.

The RD-8 is really amazing! Thanks!

Btw: Trigger 1, 2 and 3 works perfect on the gate MS101. Analog clock also.
but I want the trigger to make the MSSequencer advance one step forward.
it's a classic funktion.
so try trigger out to ext. clock in...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepmind12 View Post
Behringer RD-8 vs Roland TR-8

Ha, what a load of tinny bollocks from Roland there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Ha, what a load of tinny bollocks from Roland there.
I wish he matched the BD tuning.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepmind12 View Post
Behringer RD-8 vs Roland TR-8

I was hoping the swing would sound good on the RD-8 and it does. Nice!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
Good to hear the original 808 behaves the same way (it really depends on the decay length of the previous kick. Also if that's been accented the distortion effect on the following kick gets stronger, this is what I had at first.)

I'm not into gear vine tasting, but I can definitely hear differences. For instance the cow bell of the RD8 totally lacks those weird bouncy harmonics we grow to love (or hate).
Then there's how the decay works on the BD. On a 808 the BD decay is very musical, it's crucial for that bouncy swag. Why many think the 808 has some mysterious swing, I guess. On the Rd-8 it just goes booooomm, no bounce. Nitpicking perhaps, but it seems important to me. Yes, and there is the clave.

Anyway, I'm not here to bad mouth an otherwise awesome drum machine. It's just that the RD-8 is not what DinSync'S RE-303 is for the TB-303, that's all.

ok enough. Another short clip.Here I tried to get the clave better sounding through the waver shaper and some distortion plugin (a dash of Defacer).

Btw. that highpitched zing on the BD... crappy Soundcloud compression. The original wav is prestine & clean
I agree with you regarding the bassdrum when compared to the TR808. However, the RD-8 bassdrum is no slouch either. It still sounds very good, maybe not exactly like an original 808, but very good in it's own way, and it can be tuned loooowww!!!!!! But yeah, I agree. It is definitely missing the bounce.

Again, that kick, that snare, and that clap in YOUR RD-8 sound absolutely SUPERB!!!! I hope all RD-8s sound like that. I can get my TR808 clap to sound like that if I compress and eq it. However, your RD-8 snare and clap sounds better by default than the snare and clap on either of my two TR808s!!!

I gotta get an RD-8 to compliment the 808s. I'll midi all of these machines up and use them together sequencing the best sounds from each with an MPC! What my TR808s fall short of, the RD-8 will make up for and vice versa.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What is the RD-8’s pitch at its default position, is it a G like the original TR-808?

And what is the lowest pitch the RD-8 can play?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

FYI bax shop are showing 166 in stock for next day shipping at £266, ordered mine yesterday and have got my shipping confirmation. (£5 discount off that if you subscribe to their newsletter as well).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4tg View Post
FYI bax shop are showing 166 in stock for next day shipping at £266, ordered mine yesterday and have got my shipping confirmation. (£5 discount off that if you subscribe to their newsletter as well).
Awesome I've just ordered it's coming Tuesday

They still have 140 in stock right now
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

RD-8 triggering Airbase 99

So i set up the RD-9 to sequence the Jomox Airbase this morning, wanted to share my experiences:
It's working like i assumed and is easy to setup.
Just connect both via Midi, set the Midi Out channel in the RD-8 settings. Use the 'Map' Settings to adjust the note numbers for each track (i think they were mostly already correct by default).
The mute and solo works also for midi out, and the accent is also working (dunno how that is done, by velocity?)
Trigger button also works once the note numbers are set up. All the note repeat etc. i haven't had time to test, but think will also work.

One enhancement i would propose in this regard is, that it should be possible to use the Trigger button while in the Map mode, which doesn't work at the moment. This would be nice to pre-audition.

What also would be great if the sequencer could support recording/editing of velocity of each hit for external gear which support this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynofi View Post
What is the RD-8’s pitch at its default position, is it a G like the original TR-808?

And what is the lowest pitch the RD-8 can play?
bass drum pitch range?

D0 - E1

next to the pitch knob there's also a little orange dot indicating the original tuning (G0).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
When triggering RD-8 pattern start via MIDI from Ableton and recording the output, the start of the recording is always ruined - it’s like RD-8 plays the first couple of steps two times with sight variations in timing, while rest of the loop is recorded properly. Any ideas why this happens?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Wow didn't expect that Roland would sound that bad in comparison to RD-8.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Wow didn't expect that Roland would sound that bad in comparison to RD-8.
This pretty much confirms my own experiences with the Roland ACBs. IMHO they dont really capture the original sound (even as much as the RD-8 does, which we know isnt 100% either)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
UPDATED/IMPROVED acb tech and all that.
Just wait for their 'A-Core' 808 emulation!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post
Just wait for their 'A-Core' 808 emulation!
According to a Roland representative who demoed the Jupiter Xm, the A-core engine is not as CPU intensive as the ACB engine because it's not trying so hard to emulate analog behavior like ACB is. I think Roland should just improve their ACB modeling if they feel the just "have" to stay digital and not go back to analog. They can improve on the TR-8S, which already sounds way better than the TR-8. With that said trying to "perfectly" emulate an analog TR808 with digital modeling is definitely a tall order. I think they did a pretty good job of at least getting in the ballpark.

The RD-8, on the otherhand, IS analog and IS hard to beat, especially at it's price point.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
This pretty much confirms my own experiences with the Roland ACBs. IMHO they dont really capture the original sound (even as much as the RD-8 does, which we know isnt 100% either)
I think that your characterization of ACB is different from mine. Roland ACB tech can be quite fine.
For example the ACB-based SH01A, by all accounts sounds better than the analog Behringer MS101. And the ACB-based TR09 sounds really great.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I live in Holland and with 120 RD-8's in stock at Bax it was hard to resist for 299 so I ordered one.
At monday DHL will deliver it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
I think that your characterization of ACB is different from mine. Roland ACB tech can be quite fine.
For example the ACB-based SH01A, by all accounts sounds better than the analog Behringer MS101. And the ACB-based TR09 sounds really great.

I love my TR-09
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
When triggering RD-8 pattern start via MIDI from Ableton and recording the output, the start of the recording is always ruined - it’s like RD-8 plays the first couple of steps two times with sight variations in timing, while rest of the loop is recorded properly. Any ideas why this happens?
Welcome to the wonderful world of MIDI drum machine synchronisation....

Assuming your audio recording setup is correct, did you try setting a count-in for recording? (right click on Ableton's metronome , I think)...

Also, in Ableton MIDI prefs, find the MIDI output for the RD-8 and adjust the clock offset to a negative value so that the RD-8 is in tight sync with Live's metronome. You can use a blank pattern on the RD8 with just a clave/rimshot sound on every 4th step, to get a metronome -like setup. Then adjust the clock offset in Live's prefs until they're both nicely in phase.

Another thing you can try is to lower your audio buffer size in Live's preferences , but of course this will increase CPU demands. The lower the buffer size, the tighter is Live's MIDI clock output... at least on the Mac, that is.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
According to a Roland representative who demoed the Jupiter Xm, the A-core engine is not as CPU intensive as the ACB engine because it's not trying so hard to emulate analog behavior like ACB is. I think Roland should just improve their ACB modeling if they feel the just "have" to stay digital and not go back to analog. They can improve on the TR-8S, which already sounds way better than the TR-8. With that said trying to "perfectly" emulate an analog TR808 with digital modeling is definitely a tall order. I think they did a pretty good job of at least getting in the ballpark.

The RD-8, on the otherhand, IS analog and IS hard to beat, especially at it's price point.
I'm way impressed with what the rd-8 has to offer and will get one eventually. But in defense of the tr8s and why I mentioned it in the first place, I have a buddy who does live pa. He used to gig with an OG 909 and owns an OG 808 as well. He knows his stuff. The introduction of the tr-8 allowed him to retire his 909 to studio work only, as it made a much safer gigging option. When the tr8s came out, he very quickly upgraded away from the tr8 and not only now gigs with the tr8s, he uses it for his studio work as well and both the 909 and the 808 sit on a shelf. I gotta give credit where it's due.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post

Does it actually sound better though? Has anyone played around with gain staging before the filter on the MS? The filter in the MS seems to blur the sound and the resonance doesn't seem as defined, almost as if the signal going in to the filter is too hot and the resonance and input are fighting for space.

Has anyone tried setting the res on the edge of self oscillation before bringing in the VCO?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
I love my TR-09
Am I wrong in thinking that the 909 acb tech is at least in line with the tr8s soundwise?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
I live in Holland and with 120 RD-8's in stock at Bax it was hard to resist for 299 so I ordered one.
At monday DHL will deliver it.
Thanks, I’ve ordered one from Bax also. I’m fed up with being cheated twice by Thomann, I’m cancelling my order with them.
Old 1 week ago
As a veteran 808 user, I ordered myself an RD-8 as well. See how they compare. Should be here by the 17th.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
As a veteran 808 user, I ordered myself an RD-8 as well. See how they compare. Should be here by the 17th.
looking forward to your review
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
looking forward to your review
I should be able to midi them together, as my 808 has the QS-808 CPU with midi I/O (ps2 type ports to standard midi ports).
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-tr808_qs_midi.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I agree with you regarding the bassdrum when compared to the TR808. However, the RD-8 bassdrum is no slouch either. It still sounds very good, maybe not exactly like an original 808, but very good in it's own way, and it can be tuned loooowww!!!!!! But yeah, I agree. It is definitely missing the bounce.

Again, that kick, that snare, and that clap in YOUR RD-8 sound absolutely SUPERB!!!! I hope all RD-8s sound like that. I can get my TR808 clap to sound like that if I compress and eq it. However, your RD-8 snare and clap sounds better by default than the snare and clap on either of my two TR808s!!!

I gotta get an RD-8 to compliment the 808s. I'll midi all of these machines up and use them together sequencing the best sounds from each with an MPC! What my TR808s fall short of, the RD-8 will make up for and vice versa.
Did you open your 2 808?By changing the value of the trimming pots inside you are able to make all the instruments sound almost as you want, i can post pics of the trimming pots if needed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I pre-pre-ordered mine in February at Sweetwater..

Oh the wait..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Midi seems to double trigger ( tried on both digitakt and digitone with varying note length ) , seems a bit weird that wasn’t checked. They both seem fine on all the other gear I’ve tried.

It’s a shame I can’t used step repeat when synced to external midi too.

Digitakt / digitone midi out to rd8 midi in only ( no midi loops or anything )

But it does cut through the mix nicely.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
Midi seems to double trigger ( tried on both digitakt and digitone with varying note length ) , seems a bit weird that wasn’t checked. They both seem fine on all the other gear I’ve tried.

It’s a shame I can’t used step repeat when synced to external midi too.

Digitakt / digitone midi out to rd8 midi in only ( no midi loops or anything )

But it does cut through the mix nicely.
they are not missing these simple things just like Roland aren't, they know and release anyway knowing they will drop the fix in an update.

Not being able to use note repeat under ext clock sucks and so does double trigger but I am sure they will sort it very quickly and that's what matters , it's just a massive pita until then

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search