The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester Dave View Post
It should have been uploaded to the Behringer.com website. I will chase this up.

Dave (Music Tribe Manchester)
Hi Dave,
thanks for your help! I was already looking for a manual on musictribe.com, but couldn't find it there. Also on behringer.com (which looks like it's the same website as musictribe.com) there is no manual yet.
Appreciated!

Do you know if they will document the sysex as well? Would be highly interested in adapting my custom editor for it.

Cheers,
Kris
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_ View Post
Hi Dave,
thanks for your help! I was already looking for a manual on musictribe.com, but couldn't find it there. Also on behringer.com (which looks like it's the same website as musictribe.com) there is no manual yet.
Appreciated!

Do you know if they will document the sysex as well? Would be highly interested in adapting my custom editor for it.

Cheers,
Kris
Hi Kris - I passed this on to my colleague who wrote the manual this morning, and he is chasing it up. There is a lot of sysex documentation at the end of it, so hopefully what you need will be there.

Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsucurrytime View Post
I really like how the clap is dragged through the Wave Designer with the kick. Adjusting the kick's decay gives some nice effects. The Wave Designer has this glue effect that sucks everything through it. Really nice.
Yep, a really great move to add that Wave-Shaper and also the dedicated Bus for that. I had to remove some Rimshot hits in parallel with the Bassdrum to avoid some loud spikes.
As for the filter, it gives clicks when activated, so that button is not so good for live use. Better have it on 'on' all the time if needed.
Does anyone know, how the Return Output works ?
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Kris - I passed this on to my colleague who wrote the manual this morning, and he is chasing it up. There is a lot of sysex documentation at the end of it, so hopefully what you need will be there.

Btw, will there be some preset patterns in the future? My RD-8 came with all patterns empty...
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The manual was only written this morning?!! (I jest)
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
The manual was only written this morning?!! (I jest)
that's quick, since there's no manual for the MS-1 yet, just a "Quick Start Guide"
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
Yep, a really great move to add that Wave-Shaper and also the dedicated Bus for that. I had to remove some Rimshot hits in parallel with the Bassdrum to avoid some loud spikes.
As for the filter, it gives clicks when activated, so that button is not so good for live use. Better have it on 'on' all the time if needed.
I’m happy that you mentioned the click when engaging the filter. I thought that’s what I heard in one of the videos, but I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
The "return" output is actually an input. If you insert a jack cable into any of the individual voice outputs then that voice is removed from the main output. The "return" input can be used to take a voice out to have external processing applied then returned back into the main mix. Hope this helps.

Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
The "return" output is actually an input. If you insert a jack cable into any of the individual voice outputs then that voice is removed from the main output. The "return" input can be used to take a voice out to have external processing applied then returned back into the main mix. Hope this helps.

Ahhh, get it! Thx for explanation. That's nice if you don't have a mixer in your setup.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

@ mobe @ Zapman
Inspiring, please don't stop.
Drum machines are such a mystery to me. Great work, great rhythms.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

@ MicDaddy

thx will do

@ Tester Dave

The Rimshot signal goes out way hotter (in terms of loudness) than the Clave and pretty much any other instrument. The snare for instance could be a tad hotter. But there's also something wrong about how the Clave sounds in general. It really falls behind compared to the other voices. That'll be awesome if someone could double check on that, too.

confirmd... notes being skipped, BD not recorded when sequenced externally, the Rimshot clashes with the BD if played together.

FW 1.8.8
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
@ MicDaddy

will do

@ Tester Dave

The Rimshot signal goes out way hotter (in terms of loudness) than the Clave and pretty much any other instrument. The snare for instance could be a tad hotter. But there's also something wrong about how the Clave sounds in general. It really falls behind compared to the other voices. That'll be awesome if someone could double check on that, too.

I confirm... notes being skipped, BD not recorded when sequenced externally, the Rimshot clashes with the BD if played together.

FW 1.8.8
Hi Mobe - thank you for this, I will pass it on. There are hardware and software issues here, as the clave is purely hardware. We're working on the software issues now.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tteich View Post
If you know a "good method" please let me know. When I imported a little vintage device (about the same size as the RD8) I had to pay around USD 145 (from Canada to Europe) for the tracked/insured shipping. What I want to say is shipping cross the ocean has never been cheap and the prices increased over years. $50 seems like a bargain.
It was 50EUR as I mentioned a couple of times, which is more like $75, and I've had stuff shipped from Europe to Canada recently that's smaller than this, cost less and came faster.

You shipped something from Canada to Europe and also paid for insurance.. don't really have anything to say about that, it's a different thing, but like.. cool.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

I'm heading off for a meeting now, then off home. Hope everybody has a pleasant weekend, with no major issues. Will pick things up on Monday morning.

Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

Pattern Changing via MIDI note numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Remote pattern selection would be best done using MIDI notes on a dedicated MIDI channel. This way they can be triggered using pads or keys, and easily sequenced from another sequencer... I can't believe this very obvious thing hasn't been done in a drum machine since the Machinedrum...
Team BEHRINGER/MANCHESTER,

PLEASE consider implementing this (and to RD9) if it can be achieved/possible.
As per request (in this thread) a long while ago, doing pattern changes via MIDI NOTE# would be immensely appreciated and practical in terms of a seamless workflow in the heat of a creation process.
EG: using keys or pads to trigger them + for other sequencers too (as TreebaseDMX has also mentioned)

Thanks so much and keep up the great work!
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm heading off for a meeting now, then off home. Hope everybody has a pleasant weekend, with no major issues. Will pick things up on Monday morning.

Have a nice weekend too. Having someone taking care here is very appreciated.
Can confirm that the Rimshot signal is far too hot compared to the others, and especially when switching to the clave. Don't know how it is on the Original.
@ MicDaddy
Thx. I'll try my best.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

It would be nice for the mute mode and other selections that only the selected ones are blinking. So the opposite of the current method which is kind of confusing.
Old 13th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Thanks for doing this and posting the image!

Wow. Unfortunately, I don't see any TRIM calibration pots (with the exception of the previously mentioned noise level trimmer which I am glad to see at least) like what is available inside the original TR808. I think the Yocto and Miami also has them too. From the looks of it, I guess the RD-8 can't be fine tuned like the original can be unless it is modded. I was hoping there would be two trimmers for cowbell tuning (which also affects the timbre of the hihats and cymbal too, allowing you to adjust them ad well).

Wait a minute. Can it be digitally calibrated through the software through some hidden key combination or test/diagnostic mode or something similar?
update on that - backend of hexinverter (in the original schematic anything left of the loop, i.e. TM1, TM2, the 2x560k, 680k resistors etc. etc.) feeds on the RD8 into the cpu, so technically the pitch of the respective square waves could be tuned per firmware, I assume, except i'm missing something crucial. maybe we could address this at one point, yet everybody deserves a weekend, so let's get dave and the rest some time off

i'll put a post in the RD DIY thread on the details of the analogue part of this section (except the cpu, which is practically a black box)
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut
Behringer RD-8 vs Roland TR-8

Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

dont forget the Roland TR8 was released at 500 euros in 2014.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepmind12 View Post
Behringer RD-8 vs Roland TR-8

Though I do think the RD-8 does sound better, the RD-8 is around 3-4 db louder on my meters than the TR-8. It's much more fair to level match.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Though I do think the RD-8 does sound better, the RD-8 is around 3-4 db louder on my meters than the TR-8. It's much more fair to level match.
That's just your ears attenuating what it doesn't want to hear
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Mine arrived today and I think it sounds good , I haven’t done much in depth things ..

Probability seems global ( I turned on / off of steps / instrument select) , I thought it might be per instrument. It does seem to be per pattern.
Can’t tap in accent steps while in record , but others seem fine
Step / note repeat is nice .
Wave designer can make it quite stuttery
Filter seems usable .

I think I just got it stuck on step repeat(definitely) .. I think I changed from pattern to step mode...unsure..pressing stop/start still repeats a small section.or it’s looping over the end steps 15 ,16 and onto steps 1,2 (it’s on 118)

But I think it sounds nice .
I’m in uk , bought from thomann , it arrived with Eu psu , one of those with snap in 2 pin adapter on the main psu block.
Thomann include an adapter but it’s a shame behringer didn’t add the usual small adapters that slot in , probably cost about 2p .
Well packaged , well built .
Need a manual to ensure I’m not using it incorrectly , so some of the points above could very well be user error.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A match between the tr8s and the rd-8 might be interesting.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
A match between the tr8s and the rd-8 might be interesting.
I agree. Much better than the TR-8.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I agree. Much better than the TR-8.
UPDATED/IMPROVED acb tech and all that.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Tr-8 is getting super cheap second hand now. You can hear why.
Oh dear, roland. Step up.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
Tr-8 is getting super cheap second hand now. You can hear why.
Oh dear, roland. Step up.
You can make good music with them all, no need for oh dears?
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
update on that - backend of hexinverter (in the original schematic anything left of the loop, i.e. TM1, TM2, the 2x560k, 680k resistors etc. etc.) feeds on the RD8 into the cpu, so technically the pitch of the respective square waves could be tuned per firmware, I assume, except i'm missing something crucial. maybe we could address this at one point, yet everybody deserves a weekend, so let's get dave and the rest some time off

i'll put a post in the RD DIY thread on the details of the analogue part of this section (except the cpu, which is practically a black box)
Thank you! That's wonderful. Great to hear that. Hopefully, oscillator tuning of the square waves for the hihats, cymbal, and cowbell can be enabled via a future firmware update at some point!!!
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier View Post
Hi Dave,

It is V1.1.8.

The RD-8 is really amazing! Thanks!

Btw: Trigger 1, 2 and 3 works perfect on the gate MS101. Analog clock also.
but I want the trigger to make the MSSequencer advance one step forward.
it's a classic funktion.
so try trigger out to ext. clock in...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search