The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
Hi Patrick,
got this really big baby in the mail today. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I already figured out the basics already. But we really need a in depth manual ...
How to program trigger outs ?
How to program the fill ins/what is autofill?
How do polyrhythms work?
Is there a shortcut to deselect all sounds from the send bus ?
Taken from the comments of YouTube pattern chain video

Auto-Fill:
Program your fills into pattern slots 13, 14, 15, and /or 16. Then during playback of your other drums patterns, hit the auto-fill button and you should see you fill patterns flashing indicating that they are ready to be punched in. After your fill has played, the previous pattern will resume unless you queue up another.

Trigger Outs:
Use Accent, clap and cowbell step sequence to fire out triggers. If you plug straight into your desk or audio interface, you get the Egyptian Lover Zap effect.

Polymetric:
Polymetric patterns are done by going Settings > POLY > and then choose a sequence length per voice.

Last edited by katsucurrytime; 13th September 2019 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsucurrytime View Post
Taken from the comments of YouTube pattern chain video

Auto-Fill:
Program your fills into pattern slots 13, 14, 15, and /or 16. Then during
@ katsucurrytime Thanks for the heads up. Lots still to discover
Planning on using it also to sequence my Airbase 99. Layering sounds will be fun.

A well known pattern to warm up

Sorry for audio only on one channel present.

Last edited by Zapman; 12th September 2019 at 10:21 PM..
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Some random sh... I made. 2 track recording. Bass drum and all the rest. The wave shaper is put to good use.
No other effects were harmed during this recording.

Yet, another take on a Mantronix classic. Not quite there yet. Zero wave shaper action. Everything happens inside the DAW. And damn that's quite a lot, just to get it into the ball park.

I used this video as reference.

Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
Just had my RD open (just can't help myself, can I ...) and had a quick glance at the innards. sturdy build, clear & clean layout, just wish the screw holders were metal as in the model d. did only have a cursory look at how they implemented the 808 designs but from a first check, the kick is pretty much a clone (except for the tune parameter, of course), including the potential for (easy) decay length modification

Plan on modding one or two things in the future, if I can, but for the time being I just like playing around with it as is...
Thanks for doing this and posting the image!

Wow. Unfortunately, I don't see any TRIM calibration pots (with the exception of the previously mentioned noise level trimmer which I am glad to see at least) like what is available inside the original TR808. I think the Yocto and Miami also has them too. From the looks of it, I guess the RD-8 can't be fine tuned like the original can be unless it is modded. I was hoping there would be two trimmers for cowbell tuning (which also affects the timbre of the hihats and cymbal too, allowing you to adjust them ad well).

Wait a minute. Can it be digitally calibrated through the software through some hidden key combination or test/diagnostic mode or something similar?

Last edited by kvmoore; 13th September 2019 at 04:33 AM..
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Seems like Thomann shipped my RD-8 the cheapest DHL method to Canada, despite charging me 50 Euro, which is an INSANE amount for a box that size, at any speed. Very disappointed in them, I am pretty sure I'd have it this weekend had they just used the good method (which would definitely cost much less than 50 EUR).

Anyhow, someone here recently said the RD-8 was smaller than the TR-808, but I had thought it was pretty much the same - what's the fact? (can't find the RD-8 dimensions online)
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
Does anyone know about this odd behavior with the accent on the bass drum?

I recorded the same ONE (!) bar phrase in a single take but with multiple passes with no further processing. If you listen back to the recorded audio it feels though like a 2 bar loop.

That's because the amount the accent kicks is random. Sometimes the accent is barely noticeable, sometimes it hits hard on the bass.

https://soundcloud.com/maaaaaak/0013-11-audio
I don't have the RD-8, but I do have an original 808. However, after listening to your clip, it sounds like normal 808 behavior to me. The bassdrum on my TR808 hits harder and has a pitch envelope that fluctuates on accented notes very similar to what you've demonstrated here in your clip.

Also, I'm not sure on the RD-8 since I don't have one, but on the TR808, it's a lot more noticable on longer decays. Oh and yes, this behavior is random and unpredictable from hit to hit. This is exactly the behavior I was hoping the RD-8 would have in the bassdrum. Thanks for revealing it.

From what I've heard so far, I think Behringer has pretty much nailed every sound on the RD-8 except for the clave. The clave sounds weird for some reason.

BTW, that kick and especially that snare sounds really, REALLY good!!! The clap sounds very good too. I hope to get my hands on one of these someday!!!
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chochochocho View Post
Seems like Thomann shipped my RD-8 the cheapest DHL method to Canada, despite charging me 50 Euro, which is an INSANE amount for a box that size, at any speed. Very disappointed in them, I am pretty sure I'd have it this weekend had they just used the good method (which would definitely cost much less than 50 EUR).

Anyhow, someone here recently said the RD-8 was smaller than the TR-808, but I had thought it was pretty much the same - what's the fact? (can't find the RD-8 dimensions online)
If you know a "good method" please let me know. When I imported a little vintage device (about the same size as the RD8) I had to pay around USD 145 (from Canada to Europe) for the tracked/insured shipping. What I want to say is shipping cross the ocean has never been cheap and the prices increased over years. $50 seems like a bargain.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot View Post
Thank you.
...btw the SH-01A reacts to the RD-8 triggers just as expected

And were can I find the user manual mentioned in the Quick Start Guide?
It should have been uploaded to the Behringer.com website. I will chase this up.

Dave (Music Tribe Manchester)
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Without a user manual we can´t control if they have done their homework

Maybe the trigger outs are "working as intended". (+5V, 1ms Pulse:written in the quickguide)

Also no Information about the "Clock" Signal. (24ppq??others possible)
Trigger outs are indeed +5v 1ms pulse. Clock signal can be any one of 1ppqn, 2ppqn, 4ppqn, 24ppqn or 48ppqn. Press "settings", press step key 3, cycle through clock preferences using the "tap/hold" button until the display shows "analog clock mode". Then use the data wheel to select which one you want. That will then be saved when you exit "settings" until you change it again.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurd0 View Post
Hi Dave,

V 1.1.8 here and MIDI issues:

Note ON/OFF double triggering with some external controllers.
BD steps not recorded when externally triggered.

Thanks in advance for fixing it!
Thank you for this - I can pass it on to the coders, and it will help them to resolve the issue
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
Duh, just noticed "Rand mode" was activated on my unit by default (I haven't touch the any prefs yet). This might explain the thing, let's hope.
I'll re-do the pattern and report back.

And also I have no idea how to control the random parameter. Any chance for maybe a manual or cheat sheet
The manual should have been uploaded already. I'm chasing that up this morning.
Old 13th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Thanks for doing this and posting the image!

Wait a minute. Can it be digitally calibrated through the software through some hidden key combination or test/diagnostic mode or something similar?
still need to trace that bit of the circuit, but were surpsrised if you could; source sound for cb, cy, hh is generated just like in the tr by a hexinverter, i.e. analogue square waves

edit: back end of that hexinverter leads towards cpu tho, but that doesn't need to mean a lot & still need to trace that properly; however, agreed - tuneable source sound for those instruments would be ace!
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

Wonderful man, keep it up.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
@ test dave

my MS-101 don't react to the trigger outs of the RD-8.
MS-101 reacts to SQ-1.
RD-8 can trigger the SQ-1.
The manual says the triggers are+5V ,1ms
so is 1ms a little bit short for the MS-101 to react?
Hi KomaBot

I've just had one of our MS-101s out, and linked to my RD-8. I can clock the 101 using all the available outs. Trigger one is linked to Cowbell, Trigger two to handclap and Trigger three to Accent. It also worked with the analog clock out, set to 4ppqn. Please let me know if you are still having issues.

Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester Dave View Post
MS-101
Careful about those extra 01s Dave or Roland will have your behind!
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
Careful about those extra 01s Dave or Roland will have your behind!
owned . . . (to be fair the one I was testing was a pre-production unit that came back from one of our beta testers)

Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
owned . . . (to be fair the one I was testing was a pre-production unit that came back from one of our beta testers)

Aye no doubt it's an easy mistake to make when it's right in front of you. Anyway hang onto it as it'll be worth more than an original before long!
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Thank you for this - I can pass it on to the coders, and it will help them to resolve the issue

Thanks Dave,

Perhaps they could consider implementing pattern selection via MIDI CC for future firmware upgrades... Could you pass that suggestion to them also?

May thanks in advance!
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks Dave,

Perhaps they could consider implementing pattern selection via MIDI CC for future firmware upgrades... Could you pass that suggestion to them also?

May thanks in advance!
I 2nd this request
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hi Fear83 and Rainer - please could you let us know the firmware version(s) of your RD-8s, to help us isolate and fix the problem that you are having.

If you don't know how to do this: press "settings", hold down "tap/hold", press step key 5 - the firmware version number will scroll by on the display screen.

Thank you

Hi Dave,

It is V1.1.8.

The RD-8 is really amazing! Thanks!

Btw: Trigger 1, 2 and 3 works perfect on the gate MS101. Analog clock also.

Last edited by rainier; 13th September 2019 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier View Post
Hi Dave,

It is V1.1.8.

The RD-8 is really amazing! Thanks!
Thank you for this - we're working on it now. Glad you like the RD-8

Old 13th September 2019
Gear Head
Its great to see the guys from Behringer involved in this thread and the fact that the rd8 was manchester made, this highlights how massive the 808 was in manchester and still is and always will be.

Im not talking about production before anyone gets pedantic on me
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Dave,

Perhaps they could consider implementing pattern selection via MIDI CC for future firmware upgrades...
Remote pattern selection would be best done using MIDI notes on a dedicated MIDI channel. This way they can be triggered using pads or keys, and easily sequenced from another sequencer... I can't believe this very obvious thing hasn't been done in a drum machine since the Machinedrum...
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I don't have the RD-8, but I do have an original 808. However, after listening to your clip, it sounds like normal 808 behavior to me. The bassdrum on my TR808 hits harder and has a pitch envelope that fluctuates on accented notes very similar to what you've demonstrated here in your clip.

Also, I'm not sure on the RD-8 since I don't have one, but on the TR808, it's a lot more noticable on longer decays. Oh and yes, this behavior is random and unpredictable from hit to hit. This is exactly the behavior I was hoping the RD-8 would have in the bassdrum. Thanks for revealing it.

From what I've heard so far, I think Behringer has pretty much nailed every sound on the RD-8 except for the clave. The clave sounds weird for some reason.

BTW, that kick and especially that snare sounds really, REALLY good!!! The clap sounds very good too. I hope to get my hands on one of these someday!!!
Thanks for the heads up!
Good to hear the original 808 behaves the same way (it really depends on the decay length of the previous kick. Also if that's been accented the distortion effect on the following kick gets stronger, this is what I had at first.)

I'm not into gear vine tasting, but I can definitely hear differences. For instance the cow bell of the RD8 totally lacks those weird bouncy harmonics we grow to love (or hate).
Then there's how the decay works on the BD. On a 808 the BD decay is very musical, it's crucial for that bouncy swag. Why many think the 808 has some mysterious swing, I guess. On the Rd-8 it just goes booooomm, no bounce. Nitpicking perhaps, but it seems important to me. Yes, and there is the clave.

Anyway, I'm not here to bad mouth an otherwise awesome drum machine. It's just that the RD-8 is not what DinSync'S RE-303 is for the TB-303, that's all.

ok enough. Another short clip.Here I tried to get the clave better sounding through the waver shaper and some distortion plugin (a dash of Defacer).

Btw. that highpitched zing on the BD... crappy Soundcloud compression. The original wav is prestine & clean
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

For those who are still waiting for theirs, here's another quick one:

It sure is good enough to rock a party ::
This is from the mono out (but heavy use of internal waveshaper).
Have still to find out how the accent behaves, it seems a bit unpredictable
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I ordered one on the 15/8, I was promised to get one delivered this week 13/9. Now Thomann informed me that I will get it the 30/9. They probably got less delivered than expected. How many pre-ordered a RD8? Another success for Behringer.
I ordered mine on the 14 of August and had the same estimated delivery date. Mine shipped 3 days ago, but it looks like it will be arriving next week.

Can someone post a pic of the power supply? Since mine is coming from Germany, I’d like to know if I need to buy another power supply or adapter?
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi KomaBot

I've just had one of our MS-101s out, and linked to my RD-8. I can clock the 101 using all the available outs. Trigger one is linked to Cowbell, Trigger two to handclap and Trigger three to Accent. It also worked with the analog clock out, set to 4ppqn. Please let me know if you are still having issues.

Hello Dave,
Yeah, still got issues. very strange behavior.
I programm a trigger on every step on all 3 Trigger channels.
I can trigger all my other gear that works with Analog Triggers.(SH-01A,Keystep,SQ-1,etc)

but using the "external Clock in" on the MS nothing happens (sequencer is started

I can Trigger the Gate of the MS with the trigger outs.
Also the MS-101 advances nicly to other triggersignals.
The Analog Clock of the RD-8 works with the MS "clock in". The MS-101 is running fast (24ppq??) (BTW : How can I change the Clock out signal?)

So it´s very strange behavior. I will investigate and try some other combinations.
Both units seems ok on its own...maybe some common ground issues??
Also on the Oszilloscope it seems the Triggers only go up to around 0,7V...but i will measure that again. But the Voltage seems high enough to trigger other gear so maybe not the Problem...

Edit: Clock setting found.
Edit II: when I route the Triggers to an audio input it makes the typical "Eagyptian Lover" Trigger sound...seems ok so far.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hello Dave,
Yeah, still got issues. very strange behavior.
I programm a trigger on every step on all 3 Trigger channels.
I can trigger all my other gear that works with Analog Triggers.(SH-01A,Keystep,SQ-1,etc)

but using the "external Clock in" on the MS nothing happens (sequencer is started

I can Trigger the Gate of the MS with the trigger outs.
Also the MS-101 advances nicly to other triggersignals.
The Analog Clock of the RD-8 works with the MS "clock in". The MS-101 is running fast (24ppq??) (BTW : How can I change the Clock out signal?)

So it´s very strange behavior. I will investigate and try some other combinations.
Both units seems ok on its own...maybe some common ground issues??
Also on the Oszilloscope it seems the Triggers only go up to around 0,7V...but i will measure that again. But the Voltage seems high enough to trigger other gear so maybe not the Problem...
Hi KomaBot

Yes, it's very strange. I will run ours again this afternoon if I get the chance.

To change the clock frequency press "settings", press step key 3, use the "tap/hold" button to scroll through the options until you get to "analog clock mode". You can then use the data dial to scroll through 1, 2, 4, 24 or 48ppqn. Pressing "settings" again twice exits back to normal mode, and your choice will be saved until you want to change it again
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

...ok, now it´s gettin really funny:
when I use the Rimshot single out (audio) i can trigger the MS-101 just the way i want...
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
For those who are still waiting for theirs, here's another quick one:

It sure is good enough to rock a party ::
This is from the mono out (but heavy use of internal waveshaper).
Have still to find out how the accent behaves, it seems a bit unpredictable
I really like how the clap is dragged through the Wave Designer with the kick. Adjusting the kick's decay gives some nice effects. The Wave Designer has this glue effect that sucks everything through it. Really nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search