The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
Will you retire the 808 if the B0B hits the mark?
Absolutely!! Honestly, the biggest reason I'm hoping the RD-8 hits the mark is because of the tunable kick. The original 808 kick is tuned to G. Not every song works with a "G" kick (though now that I'm typing this, "G kick" sounds pretty cool

I know I can mod my 808, but its in amazing condition and I'd hate to drill holes or what ever to get a tuning knob installed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

if i still had mine, it would be modded for that by now, irrespective of value.
to be fair, it was a long time ago, and not mint, and they weren't at recent prices then. if you didn't pay much for it, not the kind of thing to let go of.
but i did ... and probably because of the lack of tuning! and other limitations. i simply wasn't aware of the possibility of modding at that time.

that said, the RD-8 is at about the same price it was then, with MIDI, and no doubt people will mod them, since it is neither sacred nor rare or expensive.
so if you can supplant it with the clone and have money left over for a load of other behringer and others, why not ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Please I'm interested in your TR-808 workflows of the past/current vs the new approaches possible with the RD-8?
Discuss?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Turn on TR-808, clear current pattern, hit play, bash in ELECTROBEAT, dance
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
if i still had mine, it would be modded for that by now, irrespective of value.
to be fair, it was a long time ago, and not mint, and they weren't at recent prices then. if you didn't pay much for it, not the kind of thing to let go of.
but i did ... and probably because of the lack of tuning! and other limitations. i simply wasn't aware of the possibility of modding at that time.

that said, the RD-8 is at about the same price it was then, with MIDI, and no doubt people will mod them, since it is neither sacred nor rare or expensive.
so if you can supplant it with the clone and have money left over for a load of other behringer and others, why not ...
One of the best things about renting a real 808 for a week was it totally killed my GAS for paying over £3000 for a second hand one. Don't get me wrong, it was great and sounded the business, but it is very limited in terms of sequencing and tunability of the sounds. I especially missed swing. Maybe there are workarounds.

I don't necessarily agree that the original sequencer has to be cloned, don't see why a modern sequencer can't be funky, so I'm looking forward to some additional sequencing capability - but I guess we'll find out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I actually bought my 808s because of the sound they produce, not their onboard sequemcer, which I find is very limited (although it is still very nice, especially for 1980). If you have an original modded with midi, try sequencing it with an MPC! I do that with mine and the possibilities are endless. You can have 32nd or 64th note hihats or snare roll note repeats, swing, mute and solo, anything you want. The timing is on point and it sounds fantastic!!!

If you don't already have the original (or you don't want to mod your original), the RD-8 looks like it will be a good alternative considering the current prices of the original.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Good luck with sequencing an 808 with Push
Heard of midi mods?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Heard of midi mods?
No, please explain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Noticed today that thomann haven't actually taken payment for my order yet which is odd. Do they only process payment once its sent out for delivery or something?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Noticed today that thomann haven't actually taken payment for my order yet which is odd. Do they only process payment once its sent out for delivery or something?
That's the norm many places. Maybe them, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=weirdfishee;14159903]Noticed today that thomann haven't actually taken payment for my order yet which is odd. Do they only process payment once its sent out for delivery or

Yes expect a somewhat unexpected debit from.your bank account in the coming months
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
No, please explain.
they are very little sharply dressed people who like the Who...

oh hang on, midi??
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Have ordered but never preordered anything from Thomann (nope not a RD-8 yet, either). But would find it unusual at least if they'd grab your money weeks before themselves receiving the gear, rather than just shortly before sending it out to you.
If so, maybe with buyers from abroad, as payments take longer time to be cleared. Should be feasible to look it up on their site or drop them a mail, if worried though.
As for modding, why not if the modder knows what he's doing. And if you don't mind void of warranty, which might be bummer too in case another problems occurs within I think three years or so.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Outs

Hey guys,

Does anyone happen to know yet if it would be possible to have part of the output go through the mono output and other parts through one of the individual outs?

So like, if I have a 2 channel interface and I wanted everything but the kick on channel 1 and the kick on channel two, could I do that, or would I have to do two separate recording, one with everything but the kick on one channel and one with just the kick on the other?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg70888 View Post
Hey guys,

Does anyone happen to know yet if it would be possible to have part of the output go through the mono output and other parts through one of the individual outs?

So like, if I have a 2 channel interface and I wanted everything but the kick on channel 1 and the kick on channel two, could I do that, or would I have to do two separate recording, one with everything but the kick on one channel and one with just the kick on the other?
I could be wrong, but as far as I know, when you plug a cable into an individual out, that sound gets removed from the master outputs. So, you could have the master output going to one channel and an individual sound going to the other. That's like if you only have stereo outputs, you mix the sound you want to isolate hard right and all the other sounds hard left.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg70888 View Post
Hey guys,

I would recommend a new interface with more inputs. They are cheap enough these days
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Hey guys I've been watching this thread for a long time since the rd8 was unveiled and I have pre ordered from thomann. I have the tr08 which I love and I know it gets a lot of bad press and I'm almost certain it will be gathering dust once the rd has landed but for all the criticisms it will always have a place for me and I'll probably just box it up and store it.

Anyway I'm happy to have finally registered here and I'm so looking forward to getting my hands on the rd8.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
they are very little sharply dressed people who like the Who...

oh hang on, midi??
are you kidding me or am I paranoid?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

just realised: after October 31st it will be mandatory to wear blue Millets parkas and Doctor Martens.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You can still have Monkey Boots as an alternative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
just realised: after October 31st it will be mandatory to wear blue Millets parkas and Doctor Martens.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"Just got word from Behringer. We should have the RD-8 in stock in the first week or two of September!

I'll let you know once they're here but feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to help in the meantime.

Best,

Sales Engineer, Sweetwater Sound Inc"
Old 4 weeks ago
3bc
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
In my experience that's basically the entire social-driven Internet (i.e. like the last 15 years). It always baffles me how people just go on and on and on about something they don't like and/or care about.
https://youtu.be/L3dxMGzt5mU
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bc View Post
Yeah it is very common on the internet and it's social platforms, that group of people feed on that kind of behaviour... it's the only way to get attention by being negative all the time
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilverLXVIII View Post
Hey guys I've been watching this thread for a long time since the rd8 was unveiled and I have pre ordered from thomann. I have the tr08 which I love and I know it gets a lot of bad press and I'm almost certain it will be gathering dust once the rd has landed but for all the criticisms it will always have a place for me and I'll probably just box it up and store it.

Anyway I'm happy to have finally registered here and I'm so looking forward to getting my hands on the rd8.
Keep it in the original box and it will keep it's value, don't expect it to rise like the OG but for collectors it will have it's value, not that I'm planning of letting go mine... as I bought a lot of my boutiques new, they will always stay in pristine condition... Something If seen last month is that the D-05 is like going higher in selling price don't know where that is coming from as it was not a popular boutique as long as it was available
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=Klankdroid;14161127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilverLXVIII View Post

Anyway I'm happy to have finally registered here and I'm so looking forward to getting my hands on the rd8.[/QUOTE

Keep it in the original box and it will keep it's value, don't expect it to rise like the OG but for collectors it will have it's value, not that I'm planning of letting go mine... as I bought a lot of my boutiques new, they will always stay in pristine condition... Something If seen last month is that the D-05 is like going higher in selling price don't know where that is coming from as it was not a popular boutique as long as it was available
my ju06 rose in price enough that i could pay for a deepmind 6 outright when i sold it, but i've got absolutely no idea why someone would pay that much for it. not that i'm complaining.

with regard to the tr08 - and all that moaning recently in this thread about the sequencer on the rd-8 not being the same as the tr-808 - perhaps using the tr08 to sequence the rd-8 might give some users a more "authentic" feel; so it may still have a purpose. who knows?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
[QUOTE=roy.hudd;14161169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post

my ju06 rose in price enough that i could pay for a deepmind 6 outright when i sold it, but i've got absolutely no idea why someone would pay that much for it. not that i'm complaining.

with regard to the tr08 - and all that moaning recently in this thread about the sequencer on the rd-8 not being the same as the tr-808 - perhaps using the tr08 to sequence the rd-8 might give some users a more "authentic" feel; so it may still have a purpose. who knows?
Great point and its something I will try. I also have the tr09 and the tb03 plus the Arturia minibrute 2s
My only issue is room or lack of right now and my next job is to make room for the rd8 as I reckon it will be as big as my minibrute 2s
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
I still have all the boxes and polythene and my boutiques are in pristine condition. No scratches no marks and I cover them all when not in use.
When it comes to the condition of my gear I am a little OCD and I can honestly say that all my gear would pass as brand new.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy.hudd View Post
The TR-08 is a plugin in a box and doesn't have the magic faulty components or the funk.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Confirmed: thomann not taking payment until order is sent out for delivery
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Confirmed: thomann not taking payment until order is sent out for delivery
That is not my experience. Maybe depends on if you pay by credit card or not.

When you order something and ask to pay by bank transfer you have a week to do the transfer. If you don’t they will cancel the order.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search