All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
<3 pre-release threads
Right?

To those complaining (with good reason) that we’ve drifted off topic, I say "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

this is the interlude !
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js.theracon View Post
While it would be offensive to bring a Jupiter 8, we could at least take a Promars with us.
vince clarke would find a way to fit the jupiter in the cockpit

Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

We know the moon is made of Swiss and Jarlsberg... the real mystery with no early spilling of the beans: the whereabouts of RD-8 and its vocabulary in finished form. Will anyone jump the gun, break radio silence?

Probly not. A couple more days
Old 5th August 2019
Here for the gear
Cool the moon is made of cheese......

When is this damn drum machine going to finally drop? Any news?
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbaby View Post
Cool the moon is made of cheese......

When is this damn drum machine going to finally drop? Any news?
3 days
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

on a serious note, what happens to the price of products coming out of China when the currency gets devalued suddenly? eg: viz US-China trade war

everything kicking off, and gearhead thinks: "when is the B gonna drop?"
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar View Post
3 days
That won´t happen, you know it!

I expect them to arise around sept.-oct.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurd0 View Post
That won´t happen, you know it!

I expect them to arise around sept.-oct.
3 days until the "they have shipped to our distributors" announcement.....my hope-filled guess.
Old 6th August 2019
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Would be funny if roland announced an analogue remake this week
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Would be funny if roland announced an analogue remake this week
Too bad the post has the tags #VST and #RolandCloud and #RolandVST
They're probably still too chicken to do it
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Sadly i agree. More likely to be a pair of 808 analogue socks
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Too bad the post has the tags #VST and #RolandCloud and #RolandVST
They're probably still too chicken to do it

The ultimate updated ACB 808 bass drum 1:1 OG sound and behavior.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post

The ultimate updated ACB 808 bass drum 1:1 OG sound and behavior.

While I love my Boutiques, it's still mindwarping to see how Roland so goes all in on digital while the whole synthworld begs them for a return to their analogue roots, must be a culture thing....
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
the whole synthworld
As has been said by many people on here, don't confuse this forum with everyone. People love their boutiques, I have many friends who have bought them and enjoy them - they don't give a stuff what happens before their headphones.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
As has been said by many people on here, don't confuse this forum with everyone. People love their boutiques, I have many friends who have bought them and enjoy them - they don't give a stuff what happens before their headphones.
^^This^^
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not only that, you’d be surprised how many people think analog just means standalone hardware with knobs.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
While I love my Boutiques, it's still mindwarping to see how Roland so goes all in on digital while the whole synthworld begs them for a return to their analogue roots, must be a culture thing....
They design the future.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
So....Kubrick didn't get "Full" directorial powers?

Time for NASA to release a "Directors cut" of the Moon landing...Unless they "lost" the footage they shot in Sarnia Ont. Canada...when they "Lost" the tapes with the "Magic words" that got them through the Van Ryan radiation belt.

Hey! Have you even seen the interview with the NASA scientist where he bumbles about "Gee....we'd sure LIKE to go back to the Moon....but the information necessary to get there.....yeah....we "Lost" it...um...and unfortunately the technology just isn't there...we don't have it anymore....but someday, we'll re-learn what we forgot....and then Moon...HERE WE COME!"

Or the hilarious interview with the Astronauts hanging below the Van Ryan belt who talk about "Well, because of this Van Ryan thing, man just cannot go past the belt...it's impossible..."as this girl is talking the other guy in the frame, puts two and two together and starts looking really uncomfortable.

So give it up...There was no Moon landing, it's not a matter of opinion, you can't make a case for both sides, NASA testified against its self. The conclusion is as decisive as it is final...THE MOON LANDING WAS A FAKE...with strong evidence pointing to Stanley Kubrick as the guy who shot the phony footage.

Now, go on back to lying...I know you will and it makes no difference to anyone...You lost this one a LONG time ago....have a nice day.

Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
I don't know what to think about the moon landing conspiracy theory...I've read that they did indeed go, but the footage shown and all comms were faked and done by Kuberick and his team. Apparently, there was no audio delay between voice transmissions (during the 'live' broadcast) which is really weird considering we still get delay on live news feeds in 2019 where the signal is only traveling 100's of miles, so there's that to be explained... We're told by 'insiders' that we only see and use technology that is already 40 years old, so maybe the comms tech was much more advanced in the late 60's- early 70's than the public was allowed to now about?
I really don't know one way or the other, but I do know that the earth is not flat.

But anyway, the RD808 looks cool and I like the boutique TR-08. They might even work together in some creative way. Does the RD have inputs with an analog filter...you can see where I'm going. I'm definitely not buying one from the first batch though.

Last edited by TRSC; 6th August 2019 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: back on topic
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They did do some analogue stuff recently: JDs, SYSTEM-500, SE-02.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
They did do some analogue stuff recently: JDs, SYSTEM-500, SE-02.

Yeah, that's great... why are they so stubborn when it comes to remake their classic like the 808 and 909 if Behringer can do it with the little knowledge they have because of being not long in this kind of business (I know they copy and dont have to invent the wheel again) why is it not possible for Roland to do it, I tell you this it would be very easy for them to do it but they have their own vision and do not want to see it the other way.... Strange for a company not to go where the money is....We all know if Roland would make an analogue 808 and 909 again, they would be on backorder for years... The cloud will make them probably more money in the long run.... but it is digital air, when they unplug it nothing will be left, with a real machine that is different...
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Some ppl like digital some ppl like analog, but there are more of the latter than you think, hell I only joined this forum because of this thing. People who currently are active buying synths may follow what you're describing but a legit 808 reissue would appeal to a waaaay bigger group of ppl, not just synth ppl.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
<deleted by moderator>
<deleted by moderator>

Anyway, back to 808 discussions!

I hired an 808 a while back and I was surprised to hear it do the thing where long (overlapping) decay increases the volume of the bass drum - couldn’t quite work out what it was doing. If you can get the decay right it can make it extra funky but in other ways the behaviour was a bit undesirable.

Last edited by Reptil; 7th August 2019 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: -
Old 6th August 2019
Quote:
<deleted by moderator>
<deleted by moderator>

Anyway, it's the 808 tomorrow, so hopefully there's more actual 808-stuff to talk about then! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by Reptil; 7th August 2019 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: -
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Not only that, you’d be surprised how many people think analog just means standalone hardware with knobs.
To me "standalone hardware with knobs" is a far more useful distinction than exactly how the sound gets generated. Having a purpose-built interface for an instrument is a great thing.

Some people deride the boutiques (or other virtual analogs) as "just a VST in a box", as if it's a bad thing to have a dedicated box for a software synth. Great software synths deserve to have dedicated hardware, at least where it makes sense — I can't imagine a useful controller for something like Massive X, but I would absolutely buy a hardware version of Repro or The Legend.

Bringing it back around to the RD-8, I think the main benefit of it over a TR-08 is the larger control surface, not the analog circuitry.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I think the main benefit of it over a TR-08 is the larger control surface, not the analog circuitry.
I’ll reserve my opinion on that until I hear them both over a very powerful sound system.

Until then, I think the multiple analog outputs on the RD are a huge selling point as well.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
I’ll reserve my opinion on that until I hear them both over a very powerful sound system.
Can't speak for the RD-8, but I've heard my TR-08 connected to big speakers and the bass drum rattles the speakers like anything else. Even samples of an 808 can do that. These sounds are not difficult to reproduce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
Until then, I think the multiple analog outputs on the RD are a huge selling point as well.
Sure, if you have a mixer or audio interface with enough inputs to actually make use of them, have nothing better to do with all those channels or inputs, and don't mind adding 11 more cables to your rat's nest (13 if you sometimes want to just use the stereo mix without repatching every time). I'm not sure you're getting anything in return for all that inconvenience, but maybe there's a valid use case.

I greatly prefer having all the separate outputs (and the stereo mix, if I want it) over a single USB cable. No noise. No cable clutter. No need for tons of physical inputs.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Can't speak for the RD-8, but I've heard my TR-08 connected to big speakers and the bass drum rattles the speakers like anything else. Even samples of an 808 can do that. These sounds are not difficult to reproduce.

Sure, if you have a mixer or audio interface with enough inputs to actually make use of them, have nothing better to do with all those channels or inputs, and don't mind adding 11 more cables to your rat's nest (13 if you sometimes want to just use the stereo mix without repatching every time). I'm not sure you're getting anything in return for all that inconvenience, but maybe there's a valid use case.

I greatly prefer having all the separate outputs (and the stereo mix, if I want it) over a single USB cable. No noise. No cable clutter. No need for tons of physical inputs.
Save that for toys or an added option.

Instruments without separate physical outs are completely unacceptable, in every possible way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search