The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiPeg View Post
They changed the button colors again? The buttons from NAMM were a little darker.
WHAT!? Outrageous!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

These demos are so musically uninspiring!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Breaker View Post
That is because it is not in hands of real 808/909 users.
Maybe. Or maybe these sounds have been soooooo used, mostly with the same patterns and it makes them boring overall. Especially without more crap happening around the drums.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is because it is not in hands of real 808/909 users.
I assume these people are real and the machines are real, so...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
New video (albeit in French)

I don't remember 808s having such pronounced click on the kick. Kind of annoying. It sounds like digital clipping.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I don't remember 808s having such pronounced click on the kick. Kind of annoying. It sounds like digital clipping.
They have implemented a transient shaper . You can see it on the top left corner of the Hardware.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
They have implemented a transient shaper . You can see it on the top left corner of the Hardware.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
The decay time on all of the units Ive heard is much shorter than all but 1 808 Ive used. My current 808 is easily 2x that demo. They are already messing with the circuit to add tuning, why not bump the decay range as well?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not feeling it so far.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm i mean experienced users. Maybe giving Jeff Mills one to demo perhaps?
I certainly hope so.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The RD808 not good enough for you? Doesn't sound "right"? - then get ya cash out! This is the current price in the UK.

Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine-808.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFunk View Post
The RD808 not good enough for you? Doesn't sound "right"? - then get ya cash out! This is the current price in the UK.

That's almost cheap!

Then again.. that amount of cash can buy you 10 RD 808's.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
3 years ago I passed on one sold at 1750€, I'm still regretting it... (Looking at actual prices) . Back in 1998 you could find one for 500€-600€.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurd0 View Post
3 years ago I passed on one sold at 1750€, I'm still regretting it... (Looking at actual prices) . Back in 1998 you could find one for 500€-600€.
Different times..no cheap DAW's in 1998. 600$ was a big investment for a youngster, you could buy a MPC60 for not much more that would do most of the music that was popular back then.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
played with it today (and the 909 and the arp), liked it a lot. really simple to handle in comparison to my alphabase ;-)
release date according to a very friendly and helpful english fellow I talked to for about 15 min: distributors can order at the end of the month when shipments start (from china), so then roughly 4-6 weeks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The RD808 not good enough for you? Doesn't sound "right"? - then
...use any of the millions of samples available online for free or $20
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
played with it today (and the 909 and the arp), liked it a lot. really simple to handle in comparison to my alphabase ;-)
release date according to a very friendly and helpful english fellow I talked to for about 15 min: distributors can order at the end of the month when shipments start (from china), so then roughly 4-6 weeks

We might have to pay 25% more in USA because of the trade deals.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

You can get a Yocto 808 DIY kit for 300 euros. There’s a guy on this forum that said he preferred his Yocto to his real TR-808.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
You can get a Yocto 808 DIY kit for 300 euros. There’s a guy on this forum that said he preferred his Yocto to his real TR-808.
Yocto is a great alternative but it's not the same cost.

For 300€ you get an incomplete kit you have to build and test yourself. Not included: case, wallwart psu, knobs and some other bits that you need to source and add quite a bit more to the cost (>100€), specially the case if you want a nice one. No warranty, no filter, no transient shaper, etc. And it's not a small kit to build.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also the Yocto lacks the fill function so it is a lesser machine.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rsa View Post
no cheap DAW's in 1998
Sorry for the pedantry, but I bought this for under $100 in 1996 (I'm running a later renamed version because the original DOP doesn't work in Win7). I also don't remember Cubase or Logic being especially out-of-reach for a poor college student then, but I probably had pirated copies of them anyway (and couldn't stand using them).

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Davis View Post
We might have to pay 25% more in USA because of the trade deals.
"trade deals" is the euphemism of the year
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhead View Post
Yocto is a great alternative but it's not the same cost.

For 300€ you get an incomplete kit you have to build and test yourself. Not included: case, wallwart psu, knobs and some other bits that you need to source and add quite a bit more to the cost (>100€), specially the case if you want a nice one. No warranty, no filter, no transient shaper, etc. And it's not a small kit to build.
Yes I quoted the price of the kit they sell on their site. The prices of the components that you get on mouser or farnell vary all the time. But all together including a case it should come to about 500 euro give or take a penny. It's no doubt more expensive than the Behringer will be, but everyone who's built one says it's totally excellent ace. They're also people who will build DIY kits for a fee or you can chance a used unit on the usual sites.

Behringer still have time to refine the RD808. But as it stands right now it seems to lack both the punch in the attack phase and the decay characteristics of the original. If you watch any of the Yocto 808 demos they've definitely nailed all the character.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I read on the elektronauts forum that a behringer representative said that the unit is being sent out to distributors by end of May. If thats actually true then i would say this is the finished unit.

Still keeping my eyes peeled for a reliable preorder
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I agree and almost every one of these demos is some four on the floor pattern.
Old 1 week ago
Fun to see the new demos and get a realistic release date. This will be very hard to resist!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianolando View Post
Fun to see the new demos and get a realistic release date. This will be very hard to resist!
"realistic release date" in a Behringer thread? crazy

sorry, i forgot its Saturday night. enjoy the party
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
"realistic release date" in a Behringer thread? crazy

sorry, i forgot its Saturday night. enjoy the party
Madness!! So when is this out?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Yes I quoted the price of the kit they sell on their site. The prices of the components that you get on mouser or farnell vary all the time. But all together including a case it should come to about 500 euro give or take a penny. It's no doubt more expensive than the Behringer will be, but everyone who's built one says it's totally excellent ace. They're also people who will build DIY kits for a fee or you can chance a used unit on the usual sites.

Behringer still have time to refine the RD808. But as it stands right now it seems to lack both the punch in the attack phase and the decay characteristics of the original. If you watch any of the Yocto 808 demos they've definitely nailed all the character.
Having heard both.....there seems to be some critical difference...I can't put my finger on it exactly, but when I hear an 808 or 909 snare (Noise burst plus fast attack, instant (ish) decay, no release envelope on an analog sine ((Triangle? something else? I could see the 909 snares using filter res for the "Body" I haven't looked into it)) Anyway, when I hear either they resonate with me physically in a way that is pleasurable. I'll skip the subjective "Warm smoothies" type terms and call it for what it is, it is pleasurable to hear as a sound on its own....The same thing applies to the kick, those are the two sounds I focused in on first for obvious reasons.

With the Berringer units, I hear approximations (Some closer than others) of the conditions under which those sounds are created, which is no big thing because nearly all analog drum machines try to do this to a degree...

...but the sounds do not resonate with me in a pleasurable way, they almost feel uncomfortable to me to a degree. "Fingernails on a chalkboard" (Not to that degree, they don't sound that bad, but as the resonance resulting from nails on board makes the body feel physically uncomfortable, so for me, do these sounds)

The only thing I can compare it to is Digital vs. Analog which I am sensitive to. Something about the static, Nyquist filtered samples being reconstructed and the holes patched with digital noise, just SOUNDS unpleasant to me.....Interestingly, at a 12-bit rate, it has a vibe to it, but once "CD Quality" became a thing...I didn't not find listening to it pleasant.

And for some reason THAT is the reaction, I'm getting from these sounds, someone mentioned a transient shaper for the kick...I wonder if they are adding a digital "click" as it's easier to manipulate? Is the noise generator on the snare digital noise?

I would be interested to learn what the actual differences are because my physical reaction to the sounds is VERY DIFFERENT.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Having heard both.....there seems to be some critical difference...I can't put my finger on it exactly, but when I hear an 808 or 909 snare (Noise burst plus fast attack, instant (ish) decay, no release envelope on an analog sine ((Triangle? something else? I could see the 909 snares using filter res for the "Body" I haven't looked into it)) Anyway, when I hear either they resonate with me physically in a way that is pleasurable. I'll skip the subjective "Warm smoothies" type terms and call it for what it is, it is pleasurable to hear as a sound on its own....The same thing applies to the kick, those are the two sounds I focused in on first for obvious reasons.

With the Berringer units, I hear approximations (Some closer than others) of the conditions under which those sounds are created, which is no big thing because nearly all analog drum machines try to do this to a degree...

...but the sounds do not resonate with me in a pleasurable way, they almost feel uncomfortable to me to a degree. "Fingernails on a chalkboard" (Not to that degree, they don't sound that bad, but as the resonance resulting from nails on board makes the body feel physically uncomfortable, so for me, do these sounds)

The only thing I can compare it to is Digital vs. Analog which I am sensitive to. Something about the static, Nyquist filtered samples being reconstructed and the holes patched with digital noise, just SOUNDS unpleasant to me.....Interestingly, at a 12-bit rate, it has a vibe to it, but once "CD Quality" became a thing...I didn't not find listening to it pleasant.

And for some reason THAT is the reaction, I'm getting from these sounds, someone mentioned a transient shaper for the kick...I wonder if they are adding a digital "click" as it's easier to manipulate? Is the noise generator on the snare digital noise?

I would be interested to learn what the actual differences are because my physical reaction to the sounds is VERY DIFFERENT.
Apparently it's analogue all the way. no digital click on the kick. I'm quite surprised how good it's sounding so far. It's getting that punch that people are looking for.

I have a TR8S which takes me to the moon and back so I'm satiated for now (Youtube demo's do not do the TR8S any favours/you have to hear it kick in real life) But for those that want that 'random' electronic signal/pulse that flows thru the circuits, then this maybe what they are looking for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search