The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IK Multimedia - UNO Analog Synth Desktop Synthesizers
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

IK Multimedia - UNO Analog Synth

Sounds interesting, my question is, does it glide/slide
IK Multimedia UNO Synth: $199 Analog Synth (collab with Soundmachines) : Ask.Audio
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

That's ugly
Old 2nd May 2018
Is it a late April Fools announcement? Just seems kinda weird.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
So this is what they were teasing in the main SuperBooth thread

The MIDI ports not being on full DINs is a bit frustrating given the depth on that rear section
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia - UNO Analog Synth-unomidi.png  
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Also no CV/Gate. That would have made it much more interesting.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

SoundCloud demos: UNO Synth by ikmultimedia | IK Multimedia | Free Listening on SoundCloud
  • All-analog audio path with 2 VCOs with continuously variable waveshape, noise generator, resonant multimode VCF and VCA
  • 2 independent analog VCOs with Saw, Triangle and Pulse waveforms with continuously variable shape including PWM of the square wave and a separate white noise generator
  • A 2-pole multimode OTA-based sweepable analog resonant multimode filter with LPF, HPF, BPF
  • LFO with Sine, Triangle, Square, Up Saw, Down Saw, Random and Sample-and-Hold to modulate Pitch, Filter and Amp
  • AD (Filter) + AR (Amp) envelopes (full ADSR control available via MIDI CC or software editor)
  • 40 onboard controls and LED display
  • 10 mode, 4-octave arpeggiator
  • Real-time and step edit 16-step sequencer with 20 automatable parameters
  • Onboard multi-touch 27-note chromatic and scale keyboard with 13 scales
  • Sync Delay audio effect and 5 performance effects
  • Self-tuning with auto-tune calibration
  • USB MIDI and 2.5 mm jack MIDI IN/OUT (cables included)
  • Audio In to daisy chain other audio devices with no need for a mixer
  • Mac/PC software Editor/librarian
  • Complete MIDI implementation with all parameters and clock can be controlled via MIDI CC
  • Battery (4xAA) or USB powered
  • Ultra-portable and lightweight
  • Designed and made in Italy
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Kinda looks like a baby Halloween Chroma Polaris
Old 2nd May 2018
Here for the gear

Yes, there is a Glide (portamento) button on the right hand of the panel.
Old 2nd May 2018
Here for the gear

Those are standard MIDI breakout sockets. The DIN connectors are on cables that plug into those sockets.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyuk6 View Post
Those are standard MIDI breakout sockets. The DIN connectors are on cables that plug into those sockets.
Yes I know, but the depth is there on the rear section just to have full sockets. I mean I can understand that choice on something like the Beatstep Pro
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Yes I know, but the depth is there on the rear section just to have full sockets. I mean I can understand that choice on something like the Beatstep Pro
And yet the marketing blurb mentions no compromise
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionid View Post
That's ugly
I actually think it looks beautiful, modern
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Addict

love the looks. no bullsht attitude
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Kinda looks like a baby Halloween Chroma Polaris
Does that include the problems with the membrane buttons that wear out in time?
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Guru

Alright, who's going to take one for the team and buy six of 'm to polychain?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
Well, not 6 But after going through all the SoundCloud demos I heard enough interesting aspects of the synth for it to be a nice buy at €200 (free shipping to here at least, too)

My initial impressions of it were of a sort of bass focused synth trying to be like a 303, but sounding more like a Roland A01 doing its impression of the 303.. but digging into those sound samples it does have other sides to it:

Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyuk6 View Post
Yes, there is a Glide (portamento) button on the right hand of the panel.
What I actually looking for is the TB-303 kind of slide. When you can link 2 or more steps to be glided.

From this photo it's not clear if it can do it, since it can be global glide
But in case it can it is really weird why they didn't use it in the demo pattern, which is trying to sound like tb-303, one of the tb-303 unique capabilities comes from this ability
Old 2nd May 2018
Deleted User
a little synth which is good for folks on a small or tight budget. iK Multimedia's new synth apps for iOS (iPad/iPhone) look not too bad either.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds good, like the filter sweeps
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Does that include the problems with the membrane buttons that wear out in time?
In my experience these are used in industrial/tech equipments precisely for their reliability and endurance in rough environments...The vast majority of mk1 dx7 interfaces is still up and running, same can't be said for anything with standard buttons that's more than a few years old and has been left exposed to dust in not particularly dusty environments...

The multimode filter sounds great, this funny box could turn out as a great option for someone looking for a SEM(ish) sound for cheap ?

I have no issue with the jack connectors for midi, I'd even welcome their adoption as a modern standard...I would have liked cv/gate inputs though, I also hope the scale options can be user expanded to non tempered scales like the monologue.
Old 2nd May 2018
not a bad spec actually for the money...shame for them that Behringer made a minimoog for a hundred more lol
Old 2nd May 2018
Like it...looks like my bank of desktop monos will keep increasing in girth at this price, reminds me of the new tr8s design...glad to see another decent software company dipping its toes into hardware synths

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Also no CV/Gate. That would have made it much more interesting.
Yup, should be the sub $500 mono standard now...though sub $200 isnt bad!
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
Love the look and sound. .. great to see more affordable synths. . Can you polychain them?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

I dig it, kind of like a Volca
Old 2nd May 2018
Here for the gear

Now they need to start working on a hardware box with SampleTank and analog filters for under $500.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

ther YT vids make me think we just went back to 1997 some bloody awful dialogue and presentation BUT

i love its slick tabletop style but again i feel like i'm going back in time with it's design, not forward - not a negative just saying, good sounding little mono, quirky - sequencer for other stuff is what i am thinking and also need to know more about it's input and place in the chain

the soundcloud above - UNO 37 shows it's balls BUT that is a dirty recording noise all over the tracks and i hope that was intentional, the USB whine however doesn't fill me with glee
Old 2nd May 2018
Damn, tough crowd here. Personally, I'm mighty impressed. Peter from IK was promising a game changer and, with this price and feature set, they appear to have delivered. I'm buried in monos right now, but I admire the portability and design choices here
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Addict

Looks and sounds cool to me, don't understand the hate at all, especially for the price. And runs on 4xAA batteries! If they follow this up with a similar sized drum machine you can have a portable acid rig for peanuts.
Old 2nd May 2018
I like that the little keyboard has scales. Might also double as a handy portable MIDI controller/sequencer.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

The one thing I'm really really not sure of is the lack of buttons. It means you need to look at the thing to make sure your action registered and can't build up muscle memory. You also don't get the raw satisfaction of manipulating something. What I'm seeing here is a tablet with 7 knobs. Those knobs better feel good

I'm also not a fan of some sound engine parameters being only accessible through MIDI. Would have much preferred some shift action.

Now, I know space is tight but I/O seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Add some sync I/O and it slots right in your volca and more tabletop jam setup. Add some CV/Gate or Trig in and it's a modular companion. Have external signals go through the synth engine and you have an analog + delay effects unit (I do like and understand the daisy chain thought). Just one of those things and this wee synth gets a significant boost in functionality.

Anyway, nitpicking. This is a lot of synth for the money.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search