The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Prophet X
Old 31st May 2018
Lives for gear

Hurrah! Downloaded and primed for reading between obligations later today.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah thanks for the manual, really excited to try this beasty out

tuned loops mode & alt tunings sounds like loads of fun
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Ha ha. When I was much, much younger (around 14-15), my friend and co-synthesizer addict and I would judge how good a synth was based on 1) if they had pan flutes and 2) how good they were.

I have ZERO idea why that was. I can only assume that at that time that pan flute "sound" was new to us and we were drawn to it like drunken moths.

Anyway... I moved away from where we grew up, we lost touch and I hadn't spoken with him for a few years but when I did, he told me that he'd bought an SQ-80, and... that it had fantastic pan flutes.

True story.
This is the saddest story I’ve ever heard.
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
You can easily modulate loop points in Tal-Sampler with great results.
And the filters are awesome!
Oh yeah, I love TAL Sampler. He should really add some MSEGs and a couple more LFOs.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I was wondering if I was crying alone.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Features are there, modulatabilty is not.
It's not nearly as consistent, that's for sure. Drive is modulatable, but the tone controls are not, and curiously the bit hack and sample rate decimation are listed as being sent and received via MIDI as continuous controllers despite not being modulation destinations.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've released 3 "New-Age" albums in the past 15 years and am proud to say that out of 30 songs from those 3 albums, only 2 of them contained anything close to a Pan Flute type sound.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

After a few days’ break, it’s that time again...

Live Improvisation °1

“One of my favorite compositional techniques is to make music "in the void" - without a given end-destination. Simply letting the sounds guide me and create new compositions in real-time.

Exclusively made on the Prophet X by Troels Folmann (some of the synths in this demo is coming from our upcoming Wonder Add-On for the Prophet X).”
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Not a lot of huge revelations from the manual, and still plenty of ambiguities to explore when it arrives. A couple of quick tidbits I picked up from my first read:

In bi-timbral modes voice allocation is split evenly (4/4 with stereo voices, or 8/8 with mono voices.) I don’t suppose it’s worth holding out hope that this might change in a future software update? It’s a non-issue when layered, but something of a drag when split or controlled from two distinct MIDI channels.

The ability to control two layers from two MIDI channels is referred to in the manual as Multi Mode and it’s more intriguing than I had expected. Instead of playing layer A on one channel and layer B on another, you select two different programs and play layer A from each one on its own MIDI channel. Complete with program change support. If this allows glitch-free program changes on one MIDI channel while actively playing the other it could open some intriguing possibilities for both live performance and sequencing.

As hinted at on 8Dio’s site but contradicting the official specs on a DSI’s site, it appears that there are three types of programs: 512 factory presets, 512 user, and another 512 “add-on” programs that get loaded alongside new sample packs. The documentation consistently discusses “sample expansion libraries from sound developers” without specifically referring to 8Dio, so I guess we can expect others to enter the fray eventually. Presumably around the end of the year at the same time user samples are supported?
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Three posts in a row. Evidently I’m on a roll, but they’re three legitimately different topics. I just ran into a link on another forum to Charlie Clouser’s thoughts after spending some time with a Prophet X.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Three posts in a row. Evidently I’m on a roll, but they’re three legitimately different topics. I just ran into a link on another forum to Charlie Clouser’s thoughts after spending some time with a Prophet X.
Good catch. Yeah, I played with the beast last night. Dave Smith, Andrew from DSI, and Troels from 8dio had an event at Blake Neely's studio in North Hollywood where we could all check it out, and they had four units there. I was pleasantly surprised with the thing. My usual tendency is to be interested only in instruments with the most exotic specs, like the Quantum, and the P-X is not that. On paper, it doesn't seem all that exotic or groundbreaking or whatever. I'm sure lots of people will say, "Yeah, but the Quantum can do X and even the Montage can do Y".

But the Prophet-X sounded really good to me. Not surprising, as Dave has proven for 40+ years that he can create instruments that sound better than they ought to, given the specs. It's not a particle-accelerating, molecule-deconstructing sample destroyer with a heads-up display, radar, and night vision. But dang it, that signal path and filters sound musical and just... right. The lack of Quantum-level insanity works in the P-X's favor I think. It's just so quick and pleasant to operate, and in ten seconds you're thinking, "That sounds good. I should record this."

I've had a few hours on the Quantum, and maybe an hour on the P-X. The Quantum is great for rocket scientists who are not afraid of dealing with a little operational complexity in order to break new ground. The P-X is sort of the flip side to the Quantum. Simpler to operate and more "basic" on paper, but it won't take all day to get where you're going - and the musicality and squishy fat analog goodness of the signal path is very pleasing to the ear and is quite an enthusiasm booster as you program. The sample manipulation of the P-X is not on the level of the Quantum, Tasty Chips GR-1, Percussa SSP, V-Synth, or plugins like Granite or stuff like that.

But that's okay.

Hit the above link to the thread on vi-control for more long-winded babble.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Good to hear a 1st-hand report that the hi-fi digital samples through the new filters have something special that might not be as present in kontakt or kronos. I’ve focused on function & flow, figuring good sound would be a welcomed surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
... It's just so quick and pleasant to operate, and in ten seconds you're thinking, "That sounds good. I should record this." ...
I'm like an accountant working to get deep samples into my motif xf flash. Literally- Excel on a 17" Dell w/ Num Pad & launchpad mini. (If only there was a better way.)
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
Good to hear a 1st-hand report that the hi-fi digital samples through the new filters have something special that might not be as present in kontakt or kronos. I’ve focused on function & flow, figuring good sound would be a welcomed surprise.
I'm like an accountant working to get deep samples into my motif xf flash. Literally- Excel on a 17" Dell w/ Num Pad & launchpad mini. (If only there was a better way.)
I feel you man. I can only hope that the PX sample utility will be a civilized affair, but I believe that Troels is heavily involved with that part of it - and I trust him. He's experienced the pain of dealing with Kontakt while developing all of the 8dio products, and told me that he wanted this utility app to be clean, simple, and powerful.

I started with Sound Designer on the Mac Plus for the Emax and Mirage, and over the decades I've dealt with Waveterm, every Akai, every E-Mu, most Ensoniqs, etc. The last hardware sampler I had was the Akai Z8 before I finally said screw it and switched to Giga, EXS and Kontakt. I still deal with Chicken Systems Translator / Constructor and I feel the pain of confusing sample utilities.

I will keep bugging Troels to include some of the slick features from the now-discontinued Redmatica KeyMap, which I still use, and is just about the greatest thing ever. Things like auto-detect root key by pitch detection - that's the stuff we want to see in the PX utility. Fingers crossed.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I will keep bugging Troels to include some of the slick features from the now-discontinued Redmatica KeyMap, which I still use, and is just about the greatest thing ever. Things like auto-detect root key by pitch detection - that's the stuff we want to see in the PX utility. Fingers crossed.
Yes, that would be great.

Care to comment on the filters? What would you compare them to
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Very cool that folks who know are weighing in on this important puzzle piece. I figured it'd eventually be covered by chicken sys, thereby potentially reducing reliance on its dedicated editor. (I.e., low bar.)

I've immersed myself in the motif's excellent 3rd-party sample library editor (by John Melas). I like its key commands, ability to set velocity by midi key strike, and built-in full-screen wave editor that can zoom in to sample level, trim, and robustly fade/crossfade. Its inclusion of attack, release, filter, & resonance makes playing the library-in-progress musical and useful.

(Speaking of Z8: If I get to it, I may divert my sample-start mod desires with my new used MPC 4k.)
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
My usual tendency is to be interested only in instruments with the most exotic specs, like the Quantum, and the P-X is not that.
That sounds incredibly familiar. I've had the same draw to deep instruments where I spend a lot of time exploring and experimenting, but the complexity isn't exactly conducive to playing. That's definitely a huge part of what appeals about the Prophet X – combining the textural richness of a sample-based instrument with the immediacy of the classic subtractive design with a well designed panel.

The Quantum looks like it might strike a really healthy balance between immediacy and complexity, but the Prophet X really stepped up in a lot of ways. The sound of the filters, the true stereo signal path, and a leap forward in the size of the sample library that can be at my fingertips put it straight to the top of my list.
Old 1st June 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

@ charlieclouser a few comments on your review, but first thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Instant gratification ... it takes two seconds to get where you're going ... with the PX you just find a source sample, twist a few knobs, and you quickly think, "that's good - let's record that" ... I wish I had this sound yesterday on that cue that was giving me a headache, I'd have been done in ten minutes ... It makes music. Good music. Quickly. ...
To me that right there is worth $4000. You can't even really put a price on it.

Quote:
Ordinary sounds like pianos and strings sound fantastic, many many notches above ROMpler keyboards, but you don't usually need full knob-per-function synth controls when playing the standards
From a performance-in-production perspective, I've always found value in whatever knobbiness the typical ROMpler provides because, even with the 'standards' (pianos, organs, polysynths etc.) I like to take creative license. So I'm quite looking forward to having it all laid out in front of me.

Quote:
The well-known DSI "hack"
What's that?
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Good catch. Yeah, I played with the beast last night. Dave Smith, Andrew from DSI, and Troels from 8dio had an event at Blake Neely's studio in North Hollywood where we could all check it out, and they had four units there. I was pleasantly surprised with the thing. My usual tendency is to be interested only in instruments with the most exotic specs, like the Quantum, and the P-X is not that. On paper, it doesn't seem all that exotic or groundbreaking or whatever. I'm sure lots of people will say, "Yeah, but the Quantum can do X and even the Montage can do Y".

But the Prophet-X sounded really good to me. Not surprising, as Dave has proven for 40+ years that he can create instruments that sound better than they ought to, given the specs. It's not a particle-accelerating, molecule-deconstructing sample destroyer with a heads-up display, radar, and night vision. But dang it, that signal path and filters sound musical and just... right. The lack of Quantum-level insanity works in the P-X's favor I think. It's just so quick and pleasant to operate, and in ten seconds you're thinking, "That sounds good. I should record this."

I've had a few hours on the Quantum, and maybe an hour on the P-X. The Quantum is great for rocket scientists who are not afraid of dealing with a little operational complexity in order to break new ground. The P-X is sort of the flip side to the Quantum. Simpler to operate and more "basic" on paper, but it won't take all day to get where you're going - and the musicality and squishy fat analog goodness of the signal path is very pleasing to the ear and is quite an enthusiasm booster as you program. The sample manipulation of the P-X is not on the level of the Quantum, Tasty Chips GR-1, Percussa SSP, V-Synth, or plugins like Granite or stuff like that.

But that's okay.

Hit the above link to the thread on vi-control for more long-winded babble.
Thanks for the review. That’s what it appears to be to me from the demos and manual, but it’s nice to have confirmation based on hands on experience. I think it’s great that we have two different hardware options for hybrid sampler goodness, though for me, the sonic character and immediacy of the X puts it in the “must buy” bucket. For rocket science fun, I’m more comfortable in software. I feel my Pro-2 is about the level of complexity I enjoy in a hardware synth.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
"The chiff" was serious business in the 90s. No joke.

Today, though...:

Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

I suspect that many folks here have never tried to play a panflute. It's dang hard to do.
Old 1st June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
After a few days’ break, it’s that time again...

Live Improvisation °1

“One of my favorite compositional techniques is to make music "in the void" - without a given end-destination. Simply letting the sounds guide me and create new compositions in real-time.

Exclusively made on the Prophet X by Troels Folmann (some of the synths in this demo is coming from our upcoming Wonder Add-On for the Prophet X).”
What is that machine behind the synth that the musician keeps pressing buttons on
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
What is that machine behind the synth that the musician keeps pressing buttons on
I'm guessing a looper.
Old 1st June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I'm guessing a looper.
Yes. I haven't seen that one before. It's rather dark and I can see numbers on it from 1-3. I'd like to know what brand it is.

I have the Infinity looper but I'm interested in that one. Looks like it's more versatile.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Yes. I haven't seen that one before. It's rather dark and I can see numbers on it from 1-3. I'd like to know what brand it is.

I have the Infinity looper but I'm interested in that one. Looks like it's more versatile.
Looks like a Boss pedal, something like the RC-300?
Old 1st June 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Just a note to say if they do indeed put a panflute sample in the PX, I will chop the attack off and use the sustain portion to create the funkiest wormiest leadiest funky worm lead patch of all time.
Old 1st June 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

And just for you Rob, I'll make an 808 sub out of it too.

Last edited by mp3; 1st June 2018 at 07:38 PM..
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
And just for you Rob, I'll make an 808 sub out of it too.
Thanks mp3 . Should go perfectly with my Freddie Mercury killer queen vocal sample set.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager View Post
Looks like a Boss pedal, something like the RC-300?

Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

The demo above shows the synth sounds nice

It’s also proof of my thesis “you really need a live drummer (but where do you fit the kit?)”

Which would make the track 10x more musical

But yes, nice demo
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
I suspect that many folks here have never tried to play a panflute. It's dang hard to do.
All the more reason to eradicate them from the planet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search