The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Prophet X
Old 27th May 2018
  #2311
Lives for gear
 
the donal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
There wasn't a demo yesterday, but after that brief anomaly we've got a new one today:

Live Improvisation °4


"One of my favorite compositional techniques is to make music "in the void" - without a given end-destination. Simply letting the sounds guide me and create new compositions in real-time (some of the synths in this demo is coming from our upcoming Wonder Add-On for the Prophet X)."
Just lovely!!
Old 27th May 2018
  #2312
Deleted cec0d5b
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Given that the drive in the Prophet X will be written to with far less frequency, I'd expect it to outlast the keyboard it's installed in.
Do we know yet if the presets / patches are stored elsewhere in some non-volatile memory and not on the SSD? If the are on the SSD then it could very well have many, many writes over the years.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2313
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b View Post
Do we know yet if the presets / patches are stored elsewhere in some non-volatile memory and not on the SSD? If the are on the SSD then it could very well have many, many writes over the years.
I haven't seen anything definitive, but let's presume programs are written to the SSD for the sake of discussion.

it isn't strictly the number of times you write data that become a problem, it's the volume of data written (and the amount of free space available at the time.) The underlying technology performs "wear leveling" so even if you think you're writing to the same preset over and over, it's actually writing to a new location every time subject to the limits of free space.

Editing a preset several million times might add up to the amount of wear filling the 50GB of user sample space provided just once. And you'll be able to do that thousands of times before it could conceivably become an issue.

EDIT: more importantly, as noted a few posts later by a DSI employee, patches aren't actually stored on the SSD at all. Just samples.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2314
Gear Addict
 
REwire's Avatar
Why do the last couple demos say "Using sounds from upcoming expansion pack" or something like that?

Why would there be early demos using sound samples that aren't even in the basic 150gb of native sounds? Bait and Switch indeed.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2315
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b View Post
Do we know yet if the presets / patches are stored elsewhere in some non-volatile memory and not on the SSD? If the are on the SSD then it could very well have many, many writes over the years.
Presets are stored on flash, not on the SSD.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2316
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
Why do the last couple demos say "Using sounds from upcoming expansion pack" or something like that?
Because they want to be very clear that these are indeed sounds from a forthcoming expansion that's available from 8Dio, the company recording the demos very evidently branded as coming from 8Dio Productions? That seems both straightforward and extremely clear.

Quote:
Why would there be early demos using sound samples that aren't even in the basic 150gb of native sounds? Bait and Switch indeed.
How is advertising something you're selling "bait and switch"? They also happen to demonstrate the Prophet X in a different light, and there's a healthy appetite for knowing more about the instrument. Given that a huge part of the design is the ability to load multi-gigabyte sample libraries beyond the factory samples, isn't it useful to hear some examples?

I'm certainly happy they're continuing to produce these and look forward to seeing and hearing more. If you want more just on the factory sounds I'm sure you won't have to wait long. It's supposed to start shipping in the next few weeks and there will be plenty of demos to go around from all kinds of sources.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2317
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Will be interesting to see the price of the add-ons. Could become a real sore spot immediately if it's too high.

I'd gladly swap every on-board flute (and others) for more synth based material... which is, of course, their first add-on.

A la carte, por favor.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2318
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
"One of my favorite compositional techniques is to make music "in the void" - without a given end-destination. Simply letting the sounds guide me and create new compositions in real-time (some of the synths in this demo is coming from our upcoming Wonder Add-On for the Prophet X)."
So...I tend to do this often, certainly not to that level of playing, but totally my style. I'll admit I heard 8 note polyphony and never thought of what I just watched here as being possible. Yeah, I have a good crop of piano VST's so I have polyphony handled.

Maybe it's time for me to consider getting a Jasper A Frame rack for this and another synth I'm considering. Reminds me of when I went to the premier of the DX7IIFD launch and then later the M1. There is something special in there.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2319
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Will be interesting to see the price of the add-ons. Could become a real sore spot immediately if it's too high.
True, since 8Dio has an official six month head start on everyone else. Possibly quite a bit less in practice depending on how hard the format is to reverse engineer. If the packs are really steeply priced they simply won't sell many during their opportunity window.

Quote:
I'd gladly swap every on-board flute (and others) for more synth based material... which is, of course, their first add-on.
I'm looking forward to finding out what raw material we do have to work with, and seeing how I can twist whatever they do provide to entirely new purposes.

Quote:
A la carte, por favor.
It'll happen eventually, of course, but I wouldn't expect anything other than more of what we've already heard about in the beginning.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2320
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Will be interesting to see the price of the add-ons. Could become a real sore spot immediately if it's too high.

I'd gladly swap every on-board flute (and others) for more synth based material... which is, of course, their first add-on.

A la carte, por favor.
If it comes with a pan flute sample, I’m going to be super resentful that I had to pay for it.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2321
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
If it comes with a pan flute sample, I’m going to be super resentful that I had to pay for it.


None more than me, my friend.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2322
mp3
Lives for gear
 

If you’re open minded you’ll have a newfound appreciation for flute samples in no time.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2323
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
If it comes with a pan flute sample, I’m going to be super resentful that I had to pay for it.
Even if 8DIO commissioned Ian Anderson to play it?

Old 27th May 2018
  #2324
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
Why do the last couple demos say "Using sounds from upcoming expansion pack" or something like that?

Why would there be early demos using sound samples that aren't even in the basic 150gb of native sounds? Bait and Switch indeed.
By what stretch of reason is it bait-n-switch if they clearly call it out?
Old 27th May 2018
  #2325
Lives for gear
 
dsetto's Avatar
 

Flutes always get shafted.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2326
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
If it comes with a pan flute sample, I’m going to be super resentful that I had to pay for it.
Suddenly I'm struck with the overwhelming desire to transform a pan flute into something you'd crave. Not that I know much about your tastes, mind you.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2327
Lives for gear
 

It’s the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
By what stretch of reason is it bait-n-switch if they clearly call it out?
Old 27th May 2018
  #2328
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Suddenly I'm struck with the overwhelming desire to transform a pan flute into something you'd crave. Not that I know much about your tastes, mind you.
Oh, I’m sure you could make it into something glorious, but it’s the principle of the thing. WE’VE GO TO HAVE STANDARDS!
Old 27th May 2018
  #2329
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by superscan View Post
Even if 8DIO commissioned Ian Anderson to play it?

Especially if!
Old 27th May 2018
  #2330
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post


None more than me, my friend.
Let’s make a pact. If we both get the X and it does have a pan flute sample on board, we picket the DSI offices wearing “Give me my pan flute sample money back!” t-shirts. Cool? HELL NO! PAN FLUTES BLOW!
Old 27th May 2018
  #2331
Gear Addict
 
REwire's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
By what stretch of reason is it bait-n-switch if they clearly call it out?
Yes, I was over-dramatic. 8DIO obviously want us to buy more after we have one and that irks me a bit as they are already promoting expansion before the unit is available.

Yah, like was said, with only 1/4 space of the whole drive loadable, I hope we can replace some samples we don't want. But I venture that might be forbidden as it would mess with reselling, patch bank sharing and maybe warranty.

Also, as I read before, you have to load your sounds on a USB drive then plug it in to the Prophet-X? No direct transfer of sounds from Computer to synth?

Dan
Old 27th May 2018
  #2332
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
Also, as I read before, you have to load your sounds on a USB drive then plug it in to the Prophet-X? No direct transfer of sounds from Computer to synth?
I haven't seen anything definitive on the process and what options will be available other than: (a) we'll be able to load our own samples starting December of this year, and (b) the photos clearly show a USB host port suitable for connecting a USB storage device that's labelled "Sample Import", which the specs describe as "Sample import jack for USB Stick."

The USB device port suitable for connection to a computer is described in the specs simply as "USB MIDI", but of course USB is a flexible enough connection that it could serve for sample transport as well. I'm just not counting on it. Presumably we'll learn at least something more when the manual for the Prophet X is posted in the next couple of weeks.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2333
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Let’s make a pact. If we both get the X and it does have a pan flute sample on board, we picket the DSI offices wearing “Give me my pan flute sample money back!” t-shirts. Cool? HELL NO! PAN FLUTES BLOW!
It would be even funnier if you went ahead with this plan even if there aren't any pan flute samples. Or if 8Dio offered a free pan flute sample pack at launch. The opportunities are endless. In the meantime, you might rest easy knowing that there aren't currently any pan flute samples on the 8Dio site. Or you can drift off to sleep to the soothing tones of the spirit flute they do offer:

Old 27th May 2018
  #2334
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
I wouldn’t be too worried about SSD’s personally. I’ve had about 5 TB worth of SSDs on my DAW for over four years now and haven’t had one single problem. Even my Cubase project drive is SSD with thousands of writes and hasn’t had a single issue.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2335
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscan View Post
Even if 8DIO commissioned Ian Anderson to play it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Especially if!
THAT... is where my completely rational and highly logical fear of the flute came from.

I remember seeing The Exorcist FAR too young. Then I saw yer man... standing on one foot, with the other leg locked behind the knee. I thought it was another horror film. Then that line... snot is running down his nose. That was it for me... scared $hitless. And that recent(ish) Coldplay song with that loop brought ALL my fears back!

All kidding aside... I work with flute often for scoring, but I'm all set with what I have. I will NEVER want to tweak a flute on the PX. Was really just using it as a (personal) example of something I could just skip from the get go in exchange for something I'd find more beneficial.

I'm just mindful of space on the HD. It will fill quickly. Whether the drive is measured in MB, GB or TB... fact is, 75% of it is full out of the gate. Just wish I could tailor that 75%. I understand that initially they need to just clone drives to install and ship as there is no other method to load samples then. But maybe come December-ish we can have an option to ship empty, then download and install up to 150GB from their site.

Sorry for the long book. Beautiful machine... plenty of options going forward.

K... group hug.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2336
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I'm looking forward to finding out what raw material we do have to work with, and seeing how I can twist whatever they do provide to entirely new purposes.
So am I, mate. They have some SOLID material in there. Has to be damn near infinite possibilities. Certainly a lifetime.

I LOVE destination unknown. Can't beat a great tweaking, grooving, vibing journey... and then... ladies and gents, I believe we have arrived.

BUT... when its my rig, libraries and material, I like my departures to sing to me, and lead me to that unknown destination. Time is precious. I own NI Komplete. Delightedly and curiously installed everything. Then began uninstalling things that were just taking up space and my time... scrolling and loading and auditioning. Alicia's Keys, most of the drums, the SSL-ish effects. Its a GREAT package, and if it was all I had, work would still get done, but... time! Sorry... I'm wandering.

The PX is a BEAUT! I believe it will be incredibly successful for Dave, and will inspire some welcome offerings from others. Can't wait to see if the filter chip starts appearing elsewhere.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2337
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
THAT... is where my completely rational and highly logical fear of the flute came from.

I remember seeing The Exorcist FAR too young. Then I saw yer man... standing on one foot, with the other leg locked behind the knee. I thought it was another horror film. Then that line... snot is running down his nose. That was it for me... scared $hitless. And that recent(ish) Coldplay song with that loop brought ALL my fears back!

All kidding aside... I work with flute often for scoring, but I'm all set with what I have. I will NEVER want to tweak a flute on the PX. Was really just using it as a (personal) example of something I could just skip from the get go in exchange for something I'd find more beneficial.

I'm just mindful of space on the HD. It will fill quickly. Whether the drive is measured in MB, GB or TB... fact is, 75% of it is full out of the gate. Just wish I could tailor that 75%. I understand that initially they need to just clone drives to install and ship as there is no other method to load samples then. But maybe come December-ish we can have an option to ship empty, then download and install up to 150GB from their site.

Sorry for the long book. Beautiful machine... plenty of options going forward.

K... group hug.
I hear you, but this at last is one of those ROMplers (there's that word again - although I never use it pejoratively) where you can take a sample and within seconds turn it into something completely different. Within any sample, there are myriad timbres that will pop out thanks to the knobby interface.

I've been through stacks of knobless ROMplers (M1, Triton, EMU, Fantom, Integra, etc) where the user interface was so lousy that making new sounds from the raw samples was a PITA.

So you may find that there's a short section of that flute sample that with a few twists of the knobs is mangled into an ambient noise patch (who knows?).

(For me, the challenge will be clavinet. Every d*mn ROMpler has dozens of the bloody things and I'd delete every last one of them if I could.)
Old 27th May 2018
  #2338
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Sorry if I went off track... and my head seems in the stars. It kind of is. Quickly...

Earlier today I saw an article saying... yay... the International Space Station is back visible in the night sky. It will fly overhead, west to east, @ 11:02pm. I set an alarm for 10:55. Got all set. 11:03 I saw her coming. It got brighter and brighter from the angle of the solar panels as it got closer. Very, very cool. I don't know how often its visible (naked eye) over cities. Have tried to see it over the years, but clouds interfered.

For anyone in Vancouver, it will do two passes tomorrow night. 10:09pm and 11:46pm. About 400Km up, and lapping Earth in one hour 37 minutes? Not bad, humans... not bad.

Fun fact: I've seen a guitar played up there, but never a flute!

Maybe a PX will be next.

Good vibes to all.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2339
Deleted cec0d5b
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
Presets are stored on flash, not on the SSD.
Excellent. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 27th May 2018
  #2340
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Indeed they are. My first SSD was an Intel which I used in a laptop I exercised daily, frequently for software development purposes. The drive saw a ton of writes over the few years I owned it and still only showed 1% wear. Given that the drive in the Prophet X will be written to with far less frequency, I'd expect it to outlast the keyboard it's installed in.
Still I'd like to know if the SSD in the PX is upgradable to e.g. a 1Tb one.
If 8DIO keep their sampling rate up they could have some excellent content pop up for years to come.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump