The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequential Prophet X Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th May 2018
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
Are they sampling the factory presets though, or some other set that resides on that Prophet 5? (I actually don't know about it, so curious.) I saw the comment about "Dave's last Prophet-5" but am unsure of the significance. Does that mean it's his last untouched, factory P-5, or is it maybe his personal P-5 and maybe it has his patches on it instead?
Dave kept the last production prophet 5 ever built for himself in his office, that's what they sampled.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Dave kept the last production prophet 5 ever built for himself in his office, that's what they sampled.
That actually makes it cool lol
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut
How long before the module gets released?
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

construction kit
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I finally let my EPS go last year when we moved (though I know where it is in case nostalgia kicks in!) The Prophet X will fill the gap it left in all respects I care about except one. I still miss you, poly aftertouch. Will I miss floppy management? Definitely not. Will I miss the severe sample size limits and the trade off between polyphony and fidelity? Not one bit, though they were both completely understandable constraints for the timeframe it came out in. Will I miss capturing and editing samples with that tiny multi-segment character display? Nope! I can only hope the workflow for getting samples in isn’t horrifically awkward when the time comes.

Okay, so the pattern-based sequencer was a fun scratchpad that I don’t really have a hardware equivalent for these days. The Kurzweil sequencer is pretty rich but it lacks the pattern chaining model that I really appreciated back in the day. Still, like sample editing the software sequencing experience is so good that I don’t feel like I’ve lost anything that matters to me in the long run. I like that hardware is getting back some of the sense of purpose, focus, and personality that it lacked during the rise of the workstation.
I don’t use floppies or the sampler’s inputs, HXC and Samplewrench all the way, super easy
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscan View Post
How long before the module gets released?
In the interview that Paul Dither did with Dave Smith (scroll up this thread and you'll find it), Paul asked if DSI would follow suit with the rest of their lineup and release a module down the line. Dave essentially said that they have no plans for that because there's so much more circuitry involved and that it would end up being really big.

He didn't discount it and said that it could be done, but it wasn't on the cards at the moment.

So... don't hold your breath.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
In the interview that Paul Dither did with Dave Smith (scroll up this thread and you'll find it), Paul asked if DSI would follow suit with the rest of their lineup and release a module down the line. Dave essentially said that they have no plans for that because there's so much more circuitry involved and that it would end up being really big.

He didn't discount it and said that it could be done, but it wasn't on the cards at the moment.

having looked inside the P-X I would confirm that there's a lot going on inside.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
Of all the things about the Prophet-X project, I find this the most simultaneously fascinating and perplexing at the same time.

Consider this:

Is anyone as perplexed by the silliness of that approach as I (former P5 owner) am ?
Troels Follmann is using this deep sample exprssion ad nauseam.
Having a Pro 5 sampled in a Prophet is a sort of cynical statement at the state of the vintage craze market.

But what revision will it be ? Who would care if it’s a Rev 3 ?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Which means we're getting a module. Great. I hope they make it rackable this time.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I'm beginning to see how people got their expectations so out of line with the Tempest.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blougui View Post
Having a Pro 5 sampled in a Prophet is a sort of cynical statement at the state of the vintage craze market.
Not in the least.
The lineage of his current Prophet X with the Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 is a wonderful marketing tool.
I don't think there's anything cynical about it.
People love and revere the Prophet 5, so why not use this opportunity to help increase attention and sales to the Prophet X.

DSI is also a business, and while I'm pretty sure Dave has a passion for creating new instruments, it's also a business.
The more synths they sell, the more profit they make, which in turn allows them to continue to create and produce NEW synthesizers.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

and like presets, it's clay & instructive
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Or that if they do it will be a more simplified version due to the size constraints
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Or that if they do it will be a more simplified version due to the size constraints
I really can't see the point of a module for this, it'll be big plus you may as well have a keyboard attached rather than have to reach over to turn knobs etc while you play with your inferior midi keyboard lol...plus it won't be much cheaper either. ...for small mono synths I think modules make perfect sense...for monster polys you really need a big keyboard and this has one. Rejoice! !!
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Wow, Dave's getting better and better at the modern design and implementation of these filter chips. Really great sounding filter.

If PX can not only do the high-fi crystal clear sound, but the lo-fi sampling crunch of 8, 12 and 16 bit, it would be super flexible.

If only there was a lo-fi mode!
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensory View Post
If only there was a lo-fi mode!
There is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
Bit and Sample rate reduction are available at the output of the sum of the oscillators and instruments.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I'd be thrilled with a "vintage vibe" kit, as it's been called.

I don't want to come off as a fanboi for Syntronik, but it's pretty impressive how well (albeit not perfectly) they have captured the essence of 20+ classic synths ... in less than 1GB of space (iOS version).

Given 8DIO's stellar reputation for deep sampling, it seems as though they could do something similar for the PX, with much better results owing to their particular strengths.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
There is:
Should be interesting to hear, although I find that the bit crushing effect (not sure if that's what the PX is doing at the osc output stage?)
doesn't quite capture the vibe of a machine running, and calculating at a lower resolution.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Is there a hardware extensibility? and other

Is there a hardware extensibility?
Are future plans for expandability of hardware?

Is 8Dio sample installed in the next tempest?
Is the 8 Dio logo attached?

Is there an independent output for each sound source?

Can I set the sound position for each sound source?

Can I set the position of the sound for each note?

Is it only possible to adjust the spread width?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
Squeezed out another demo for the true believers

This will be my last Prophet-X Demo and is all random edits from a large recording I took while making patches. This is all unplanned experimenting and as a result will be full of clicks, noise and bad notes.

There are a few examples of instruments modulating other instruments in this demo.
Loving this. The impatience for my pre-order is strong on this one!
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensory View Post
Should be interesting to hear, although I find that the bit crushing effect (not sure if that's what the PX is doing at the osc output stage?)
But crushing is one aspect, but sample rate reduction on the fly is also an interesting way to add grunge to something that is otherwise clean. It could be even more fun if it results in aliasing, but if it doesn’t then you get a free and grungy low-pass digital filter instead. Win-win.

Quote:
doesn't quite capture the vibe of a machine running, and calculating at a lower resolution.
No, it doesn’t. There’s nothing quite like accumulated error and the horrors of primitive drop-sample pitch shifting. You’d have to sample those to emulate a specific instrument’s character. That doesn’t mean you can’t go pretty lo-fi with the tools that are there.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

8dio Try-Pack

This is not content to confuse.
If you want to check the 8Dio's sample quality, it is enough.
I purchase the product and use it.

Agitato Grandiose Legato Try-Pack
https://8dio.com/instrument/agitato-...olin-ensemble/

EDM Trypack
https://8dio.com/instrument/8dm-try-pack/

CAGE Trypack
https://8dio.com/instrument/cage-unl...free-try-pack/

Century Trackpack
https://8dio.com/instrument/century-brass-freebie/

Century Trypack
https://8dio.com/instrument/century-strings-trypack/

Price: Free, Try-Pack
Non-Commercial License. You cannot use the material for commercial purposes.
Full Retail Version of Kontakt 5.6 (or later) Required
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blougui View Post
Troels Follmann is using this deep sample exprssion ad nauseam.

But what revision will it be ? Who would care if it’s a Rev 3 ?
It might mean classical.
I think that is the same consciousness as sampling a classical piano.

Now, the latest models are outstanding.
Moreover, it is not one model.
P12,Pro2,Prophet6 etc.
and Propeht X.

Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Star Drum

Simple but effective. I do love me some tuned percussion.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Fantastic!!

I'm a bit afraid the Prophet X might hinder one's workflow, because you can get lost in the moment playing it, on and on, and never get any music done.
Old 17th May 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Fantastic!!

I'm a bit afraid the Prophet X might hinder one's workflow, because you can get lost in the moment playing it, on and on, and never get any music done.
Problem in chair, not in Prophet.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Problem in chair, not in Prophet.
You did see my LAUGHING EMOTICON, right?
Old 17th May 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
You did see my LAUGHING EMOTICON, right?
Haha yeah but I thought the joke would come across better without a smiley
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I’m hoping to have the opposite problem: getting so wrapped up in playing music that I don’t get any work done.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Haha yeah but I thought the joke would come across better without a smiley
I hate emoticons..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search