The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequential Prophet X Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSponsor View Post
I wouldn't worry it didn't take DSI long to implement sample import on the Tempest, the future features are safe with DSI.
What are you talking about, only the sample import software isn't completed. It's all ready to go on the synth itself.

That doesn't seem fair. When the Tempest was released, it was released as a closed drum machine without sample import. The idea of having it import samples was from users wanting that and DSI trying to see if it would work out to add that. But it wasn't built with the intention of it doing that. DSI tried to accomodate users with that request, but it wasn't possible given the limitations of the Tempest architecture.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post
Dave just puts a smile on my face. A big chunk of positive energy.
Yeah, I enjoy just listening to him talk. Such a cool guy.

The other thing I like about him is he's a great salesman, but not the stereotypical one from the 80s. Really genuine.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Yeah, I enjoy just listening to him talk. Such a cool guy.

The other thing I like about him is he's a great salesman, but not the stereotypical one from the 80s. Really genuine.
Absolutely. Authenticity in the form of genuine, knowledgeable enthusiasm is a far more effective way to sell me something than any amount of disingenuous hype.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post

for me this also was the meat with the rev2, being able to have 2 x 8 voice layers gives you really interesting voice possibilities with decent poly.

4 note poly is just not enough.
Also why I love the Prophet 6+6 and OB 6+6. 2 x 6 analog voice layers really enhances and expands the sonic possibilities. 6 voices and 1 LFO just isn’t quite enough. The 6+6 pairings are truly sublime.

BTW, the (street) cost of a Prophet or OB 6+6 is not much more than the total cost of the Prophet X. If you add in a couple 8DIO sample packs it’s probably roughly equivalent. Same for the Quantum.

Kind of puts this whole crazy 6+6 notion into some perspective. Imo, the 6+6’s are the current “must haves” of the synth world. Pure-ana-synth-bliss.

BTW2, wouldn’t a Quantum & Prophet-X synth stack be absolutely killer!? In my fukn dreams man!

Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Absolutely. Authenticity in the form of genuine, knowledgeable enthusiasm is a far more effective way to sell me something than any amount of disingenuous hype.
I also like how professional he makes “all kinds of crazy ****” sound. Also that there is tiquella in every DSI studio pic or video.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Motif masochists? Where?
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

It’s funny Gearslutz always “talks” about (complains) the many features left out of a synth and Dave Smith talks about not trying to do too much and purposely removing features so it’s a focused and fast and intuitive musical instrument.
Old 8th May 2018
Have they announced a target date for release yet
Old 8th May 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
Motif masochists? Where?
Old 8th May 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
It’s funny Gearslutz always “talks” about (complains) the many features left out of a synth and Dave Smith talks about not trying to do too much and purposely removing features so it’s a focused and fast and intuitive musical instrument.
Featureslutz
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Have they announced a target date for release yet
They're "targeting early June." So just about a month from announcement to expected first delivery, which is wonderful news if they can deliver.
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I've just personally heard back from DSI on the following points.

1. When the Prophet X ships, the Keyboard won't work until 2019, the keyboard scanning software needs all the bugs ironing out first, it needs to meet their very high exacting standards.
2. It won't have the capability to sample for 6 months after you buy it, this could extend to 2020.
3. MIDI in functionality will be 3 months after release, MIDI out will come later, MIDI thru 3rd quarter of 2020.
4. There are currently no plans to have audio outs working but the headphone output does currently work...in mono, (left channel)
5. Two of the 3 OLED screens only display demo/screensaver information at present, the other screen however is fully working.

One of the main programmers has also reported Dave smith nor any of the DSI team have heard any of the samples that are shipping but they have promised to increase the internal memory to 1TB which will be mostly taken up by the 8DIO 96khz 64-bit multi-sampled recordings of the DSI team laughing at all the people who have already placed pre-orders.
You should leave the sarcasm to me.
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I wouldn't worry it didn't take DSI long to implement sample import on the Tempest, the future features are safe with DSI.
DSI never said that the Tempest would have sample import. Never.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

I definitely want this synth but will wait until they iron out the bugs and it comes with all the features working. If I gotta wait until next year then I’ll wait.

Until then I’ll be watching closely.
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
For the people on here still complaining about the "meagre" 50Gb user sample storage in the Prophet X... 50Gb @ 16bit/48kHz WAV files (as per the 8Dio sample specs) equates to over THREE DAYS of stereo recording.

Three days.

Three.

Days.

Do we still need to talk about this?
It’ll probably go on for another three days.
Old 8th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Like I have said previously the demos sound good but who are they targeted at? Experimental sound designers? Film score? Color me a bit confused.
I'm interested in everything—pop, film scoring, sound-design, just making weird noises, etc. Film scoring stuff is the most fun, and I think the most creative (I don't do it professionally—I would just like to score my own films). If I didn't just buy, not one, but two expensive-ass ROMmplers (Montage 7 + Kronos Platinum), I would've been interested in getting both an X and a Quantum.
Old 8th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
They're "targeting early June." So just about a month from announcement to expected first delivery, which is wonderful news if they can deliver.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to hearing more demos out of this synth.
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I don't have any interest in buying one that's correct but as a synth/sampler fan Im interested in why it is, that is not meant to be insulting BTW..

Like I have said previously the demos sound good but who are they targeted at?

Experimental sound designers? Film score? Color me a bit confused.
Me. I like weird, new sounds. I thought that was all of us, but I’m learning that I’m wrong.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
Tempest: analog synthesizer drum machine. ... my take: a kind & intelligent DSI programmer wanted to try to accommodate post-release forum-user requests, but learned the hard way it would be too difficult
whislt not wanting derail this thread about the p x.
i would like to point out that the sample imprt carrot was just 1 of a number of sketchy moments for dsi,

things like dave mocking 'us' as group and then 6mths later said (and he actually came on the forum) "cased closed tempest is done"..

We had a large group with petition (which dsi said would make no difference) and it wasnt until we garnered the support of the great man Mr Linn who then took on the matter himself with the help of 'us' and one member in particular (john the savage) spent a lot of un paid time and got that thing over the line.

sour taste left with many.
i refer to it as a war..
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Me too.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
whislt not wanting derail this thread about the p x.
i would like to point out that the sample imprt carrot was just 1 of a number of sketchy moments for dsi,

things like dave mocking 'us' as group and then 6mths later said (and he actually came on the forum) "cased closed tempest is done"..

We had a large group with petition (which dsi said would make no difference) and it wasnt until we garnered the support of the great man Mr Linn who then took on the matter himself with the help of 'us' and one member in particular (john the savage) spent a lot of un paid time and got that thing over the line.

sour taste left with many.
i refer to it as a war..
So, just to be clear:

The inventor of an instrument told people directly that he would never change it, and you thought an online petition that takes seconds to sign would sway his mind and make him invest months of work into something he never wanted to do?

Old 8th May 2018
Here for the gear

For someone like me who just jumped on the «analog revival» and bought a Prologue 16: what do you think I will loose of capabilities on the «digital osc - analog filter» side with the Prophet x vs the analog Prologue? To me the Prologue has the most pleasing sound I have ever had in a synth (not to many, but some), but the Prophet X is haunting me. I would love the sample side of it, but will I be dissapointed by the digital oscillators, do you think? I am on the fence. As always (sigh ;-)
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeir View Post
For someone like me who just jumped on the «analog revival» and bought a Prologue 16: what do you think I will loose of capabilities on the «digital osc - analog filter» side with the Prophet x vs the analog Prologue? To me the Prologue has the most pleasing sound I have ever had in a synth (not to many, but some), but the Prophet X is haunting me. I would love the sample side of it, but will I be dissapointed by the digital oscillators, do you think? I am on the fence. As always (sigh ;-)
I’ll let you in on a secret. I can’t actually tell the difference between VCOs and digital oscillators 90% of the time. I only notice if playing very high notes.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Digital oscillators tweak my tinnitus worse than analog oscillators. That might sound crazy and I have no idea why it’s that way but they do for whatever reason.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

No more Dave Smith instruments for me...I own too much of Dave Smith

I ended my love with the OB6
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
So, just to be clear:

The inventor of an instrument told people directly that he would never change it, and you thought an online petition that takes seconds to sign would sway his mind and make him invest months of work into something he never wanted to do?

nah just fix the litany of bugs and some of the unfulfiled features

but geuss what?
we got it done or didnt you comprehend that?

well done you just made the list of:
"no fcking idea and not worth reading"

bye bue
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Wow this thread derailed into nonesense as most threads do here!
Ont he other hand I still have this beast for another couple of days, its boiling hot in my studio and I'm still loving this synth.
I have a special place in my soul for the OB-6 but I have a feeling a P-X might be joining it!

Dave himself is so right, its not about features its about usability. I have had plenty of synths over my 25 years of buying but the ones that stayed any time are the one's that felt like a real instrument, you can feel your way around intuitively.

Many fall at this hurdle.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone know specifically what the legal ramifications and limits are on sample libraries we own if we own say Omnisphere and Komplete?

Mainly, if I own Alecia’s Keys and someone writes a program that can convert those samples to PX format, would that be considered acceptable use? What if someone converts it and I download it, it I still own the original Alecia keys? I would assume it would be illegal to share the PX Alecia keys with someone who doesn’t own Alecia keys?

Same question applies to the VAST raw waves library in Omnisphere. Those would be amazing to run through PX. But is it considered acceptable use??
Old 8th May 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
Does anyone know specifically what the legal ramifications and limits are on sample libraries we own if we own say Omnisphere and Komplete?

Mainly, if I own Alecia’s Keys and someone writes a program that can convert those samples to PX format, would that be considered acceptable use? What if someone converts it and I download it, it I still own the original Alecia keys? I would assume it would be illegal to share the PX Alecia keys with someone who doesn’t own Alecia keys?

Same question applies to the VAST raw waves library in Omnisphere. Those would be amazing to run through PX. But is it considered acceptable use??
You don’t ‘own’ those samples per se. You own a ‘license’ (permit to use). I would guess some combination of developer policy and legal precedent determines what you can do with them, but I think redistribution is probably the real line in the sand.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Digital oscillators tweak my tinnitus worse than analog oscillators. That might sound crazy and I have no idea why it’s that way but they do for whatever reason.
I sold polyevolver and machinedrum because they both hurt my ears

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search