The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequential Prophet X Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
If you know for sure then that's good news. The bad news, Curtis chips again?
I don't know for sure but it would be the first DSI/Sequential without em
Old 27th April 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

The keyboard sampler is back you beaches!! Prophet 6/Pro 2 filters and I'm sold.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
Yup, you win...as we all wait with bated breath and you've been rocking this thing for weeks if not months
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Beans. Spill. The!
Old 27th April 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
I don't know for sure but it would be the first DSI/Sequential without em
Nope. Neither the Prophet 6 nor the Pro 2 uses Curtis chips. They use a discrete clone of the SSM2040. Same goes for the Pioneer SP-16 and AS-1. The SSM2040 is the G.O.A.T. filter in my opinion.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Can you imagine if this was like the Dave Smith ASR-10? Unfortunately it will probably only have two timbres.

Meaning this is more for the Nord Stage market.
Get Waveboy(tm) on the phone!

PS I literally use one timbre when I play a keyboard, as long as that one timbre can be morphed in a load of cool ways then it’s ok
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Nope. Neither the Prophet 6 nor the Pro 2 uses Curtis chips. They use a discrete clone of the SSM2040. Same goes for the Pioneer SP-16 and AS-1. The SSM2040 is the G.O.A.T. filter in my opinion.
Yeah I thought I was replying to post about "analog vs digital filters"

It would be the first DSI without them
Old 27th April 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Get Waveboy(tm) on the phone!

PS I literally use one timbre when I play a keyboard, as long as that one timbre can be morphed in a load of cool ways then it’s ok
If it can keymap than you can have as many 'timbres' as you have keys...
Old 27th April 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I thought I was replying to post about "analog vs digital filters"

It would be the first DSI without them
Oh ok gotcha
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Oh ok gotcha
Those Pro-2 filters are REALLY nice, right
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

I noticed a logo on the DSI X: "8DIO"

It refers to this company, which I have confirmed is partnering w/ DSI:

8Dio
Old 27th April 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those Pro-2 filters are REALLY nice, right
Yes indeedy...
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

The end of that demo sounded very slick and made me wonder if they've binned the analogue filters. Shoving high quality samples through Curtis PA397 filters would certainly flavour them for good or bad. Emulator 3 and Prophet 3000 did that with CEM3387s, and they have a great reputation. The P12 is 12 digi voices through 12 Curtis chips (the DCOs not used), so maybe this is built on that. If it is, with 4 more voices maybe it will be another third more expensive!
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Can I switch 8dio samples with Spitfire's?
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Nut

Pls be good. I´ve been waiting for a Wave 2 or an alternative since 2013.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
I think it is great they are throwing in popcorn to sweeten the deal...

Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Oh yes, this does sound interesting. I’ve never joined the analog purist bandwagon, so a clever hybrid is definitely the way to get my attention. Now it’s just a question of whether details will dribble out over the weekend or if we’ll have to wait for next week. Either way, I’ll have my popcorn handy and warm up my cash equivalent (is there a more elegant way of saying “checkbook” that doesn’t feel anachronistic, or “credit card” that doesn’t promote debt as a lifestyle, while not sounding quite as derivative and dorky as “debit card”?)
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
The end of that demo sounded very slick and made me wonder if they've binned the analogue filters. Shoving high quality samples through Curtis PA397 filters would certainly flavour them for good or bad. Emulator 3 and Prophet 3000 did that with CEM3387s, and they have a great reputation. The P12 is 12 digi voices through 12 Curtis chips (the DCOs not used), so maybe this is built on that. If it is, with 4 more voices maybe it will be another third more expensive!
I think there is more going on than just binning. There is little info on 8DIO on their site, but it seems that you can do mega sample mangeling. The only question is if the system is contained or open to import your own samples?

Also, the case is Prophet-12 and there are 3 displays and 16 voices. I would think it will be On the higher price end. Dave however claimed that synths over $3k are difficult to sell....
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
I think there is more going on than just binning. There is little info on 8DIO on their site, but it seems that you can do mega sample mangeling. The only question is if the system is contained or open to import your own samples?

Also, the case is Prophet-12 and there are 3 displays and 16 voices. I would think it will be On the higher price end. Dave however claimed that synths over $3k are difficult to sell....
$2,999.99
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

This looks really interesting, to put it mildly. We're well overdue some form of sample/rom/analog hybrid innovations, if that's what this is.

Last edited by wendell r.; 27th April 2018 at 09:25 PM..
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear
We have the Prologue and now the Prophet X, let's make 2018 the year of the hybrid!
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

omfg
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
$2,999.99
As long as it’s under $3000
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

They should make a eurorack version.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Looks like 4 LFOs from what I can make out on the picture (cue the crowd on the Pro 2 thread that claims that 4 LFOs is not enough).
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Squinting at the image I can see nine labels for rear connections (plus the audio outputs: phones, main out L/R and B Outputs L/R). My prophet 12 only has 7 non audio connections; midi in/out/thru, Pedal 1, Pedal 2, Sustain, USB. I wonder what the other two connections are for?
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
Can I switch 8dio samples with Spitfire's?
No idea, but the specialty of 8DIO seems to be large, round-robin sample sets. I wonder what kind of Flash (?) the X might have onboard to support this kind of thing, or if 8DIO is crafting smaller sets for DSI/Sequential.

The round-robin angle is intriguing. If they implement this, it would be one of the few hardware-based sample players using a round-robin approach. This could be epic indeed!
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
No idea, but the specialty of 8DIO seems to be large, round-robin sample sets. I wonder what kind of Flash (?) the X might have onboard to support this kind of thing, or if 8DIO is crafting smaller sets for DSI/Sequential.

The round-robin angle is intriguing. If they implement this, it would be one of the few hardware-based sample players using a round-robin approach. This could be epic indeed!
What is round-robin approach?
Old 27th April 2018
Here for the gear

it will be under 3.000 usd because Dave always says you can not sell beyond 3.000 USD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search