The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Prophet X
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtank View Post
I just got an update from the SampleRobot team confirming they are working on implementing PX export right now. This should be huge.
That sounds awesome!

However, until SampleRobot also exports MPC Live format, it's a hard sell to me over $30 MainStage (on Mac) and PXToolkit for the PX and the built in, cool but not great, MPC Autosampler.

My reasoning being, if I have to use separate methods and libs for separate samplers, there's no point in spending extra money. If I always have to double the labor to get the samples into two samplers, then there's not a huge advantage.

Of course this comes down to _my_ particular setup and needs and YMMV of course.

Although SampleRobot has great looping detection and auto-gain. That is a great feature set.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Everything prophet X. KT2A on parallel bus and a couple of VSTS on the drum fx, thats it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Everything prophet X. KT2A on parallel bus and a couple of VSTS on the drum fx, thats it
Very cool vibe. I love hearing where the Prophet X leads people because every example seems to showcase another side of the instrument.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager View Post
8Dio have been a waste of space with their add-on packs and sample tool. The tool for instance was released in beta form in December with very limited function and buggy (more like an alpha done by a novice) and nothing since then, amazing that they think this is acceptable for supporting a $4k instrument. And then the add-on packs, only four since the Prophet X was announced, nothing of much substance other than varioius synth wave form based samples and one mediocore electric piano. No grand piano as promised and zero anthing else. I've given up with them.
Typical 8Dio. I assume you contacted them and got their EULA response "you bought it we take no resonsibility if it does not work". One has to admit they treat all products equal from 29 bucks libraries and all the way up to the high end stuff. Wise decision to give up on them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Very cool vibe. I love hearing where the Prophet X leads people because every example seems to showcase another side of the instrument.
I'm so glad it's lively, the immediacy of the interface and the resolution of the mod bus stop it from being flat and mechanical
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'm going to be ordering a Prophet XL and I'm incredibly excited about it.

I've read through this entire forum on the Prophet X, whew, that was tough. I've been on the fence and was leaning more towards a Nord Stage 3 for more of a performance instrument, but this beast has wedged it's way into my psyche.

I'm so hoping that the new piano library from 8dio is released this year.

Also if anyone knows of any compatible piano sample libraries that could be converted and loaded into the PX, I would be happy to try that as well.

I appreciate all the hard work some of you fine folks have put in to making the PX come to life in all it's glory.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded_musician View Post
I'm so hoping that the new piano library from 8dio is released this year.
Cool! Pumped that you’re excited and interested.

However, some free and friendly advice, please don’t plan on yet to be delivered piano libraries. I believe the one you’re referring to was described early on and then disappeared from further mention. No one knows if it’s going to come out or not.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders from researching the forums, so this is just a friendly mention.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Cool! Pumped that you’re excited and interested.

However, some free and friendly advice, please don’t plan on yet to be delivered piano libraries. I believe the one you’re referring to was described early on and then disappeared from further mention. No one knows if it’s going to come out or not.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders from researching the forums, so this is just a friendly mention.

Yes, thanks for the heads up and I realize the next 8Dio piano may or may not materialize. I'm still hopeful in that they appear to have continued to release some libraries and I might pick up the Oberheim one.

I would love to see some of the software based vst plugin sample libraries to be exported and converted into Prophet X formats. Perhaps that not feasible.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party companies who may have some stuff in the works?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tbh the other companies stuff is ok, but there's nothing like putting your own sounds in it

Not sure what sound sources you have though
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've read through this entire forum on the Prophet X, whew, that was tough.
I bet! That’s quite the undertaking. I can hardly believe I’ve read it all, and I did so one or two days at a time as it all unfolded.

Quote:
I've been on the fence and was leaning more towards a Nord Stage 3 for more of a performance instrument, but this beast has wedged it's way into my psyche.
It’s such a different concept and really rewards experimentation. It’s the closest I’ve seen to the immediacy of a classic analog synth combined with the timbral range of a sampled instrument.

Not that it isn’t without limitations. I am quite surprised there isn’t at least one third-party piano library available yet, and hopefully that gap will be closed, but it’s never going to be really competitive with a dedicated stage piano, either. Lacking release samples and sympathetic resonance will keep it from taking over pure exposed piano parts for me, but in a busy mix? Live? Or as part of a layered experiment where it’s fodder for synthesis rather than just being a piano? It should be no problem.

In any case, welcome to the thread! I look forward to hearing more of your impressions as you get some hands-on time with the beast.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bet! That’s quite the undertaking. I can hardly believe I’ve read it all, and I did so one or two days at a time as it all unfolded.

It’s such a different concept and really rewards experimentation. It’s the closest I’ve seen to the immediacy of a classic analog synth combined with the timbral range of a sampled instrument.

Not that it isn’t without limitations. I am quite surprised there isn’t at least one third-party piano library available yet, and hopefully that gap will be closed, but it’s never going to be really competitive with a dedicated stage piano, either. Lacking release samples and sympathetic resonance will keep it from taking over pure exposed piano parts for me, but in a busy mix? Live? Or as part of a layered experiment where it’s fodder for synthesis rather than just being a piano? It should be no problem.

In any case, welcome to the thread! I look forward to hearing more of your impressions as you get some hands-on time with the beast.
Arguably, a "stage piano" may or not compete with the acoustic equivalent, but I think that many players are layering other instruments atop the piano samples anyway.

In some respects, this seems like a 30+ year improvement upon the E-mu EII / Emax concept, with real knobs rather than a few sliders. As I look at the pair of Emax units I have, and the Prophet-12 above my desk, there would be much that could be displaced with one instrument. (Not sure I'm ready.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Another interesting idea is resampling complex Prophet X patches and importing them back for additional manipulation.

They should add a feature to resample any complete 4 oscillator patch and save it as a new sample.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another interesting idea is resampling complex Prophet X patches and importing them back for additional manipulation.

They should add a feature to resample any complete 4 oscillator patch and save it as a new sample.
I don’t think it has the A/D hardware to do this
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Arguably, a "stage piano" may or not compete with the acoustic equivalent, but I think that many players are layering other instruments atop the piano samples anyway.

In some respects, this seems like a 30+ year improvement upon the E-mu EII / Emax concept, with real knobs rather than a few sliders. As I look at the pair of Emax units I have, and the Prophet-12 above my desk, there would be much that could be displaced with one instrument. (Not sure I'm ready.)
Yeah, that's why I went crazy for it. Been lusting after those old emus for a while..

Quote:

I keep thinking that, but I don't have any hope it would happen.

One button resample would have been amazing though..

Oh,. Just got a heads up, a vca bug I noticed has been fixed and out in a new beta OS in the next few days

If you chose only one velocity layer to play velocity would trigger volume and couldn't be turned off. Which is great because I have some complex multisamples and don't always want all of them to be used, and wanted velocity to be used for other things (like resampling with sample robot)
Old 2 weeks ago
I ran into this 8 voice piano patch F4 P100. Anyone know if this is the cleanest/realistic piano on the X? Also I am a little confused, the filter has no effect on the piano samples.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The samples can be configured to bypass the filter altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
I ran into this 8 voice piano patch F4 P100. Anyone know if this is the cleanest/realistic piano on the X? Also I am a little confused, the filter has no effect on the piano samples.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
I wouldn't claim the Prophet X has a stunning piano in the factory sample set. There's some great fodder for moody layered sounds, but for exposed solo piano? Not so much. Personally, I'd think in terms of installing a custom sample set if that's your aim.

As for the filters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
The samples can be configured to bypass the filter altogether.
Yup. F4 P100 has two instruments, both of which are set to bypass the filters. Select the instrument and press the soft key that corresponds with the "Inst Misc" page and you'll see the LPF bypass toggle.

Also note that this is configured as an 8-voice stereo preset, but since both instruments are bypassing the filter and presumably it doesn't use the oscillators, you should be able to use it in 16-voice mode with no sacrifices whatsoever. That wasn't the case prior to the v2.x operating system updates but it's quite a nice new capability.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I wouldn't claim the Prophet X has a stunning piano in the factory sample set. There's some great fodder for moody layered sounds, but for exposed solo piano? Not so much. Personally, I'd think in terms of installing a custom sample set if that's your aim.

As for the filters...

Yup. F4 P100 has two instruments, both of which are set to bypass the filters. Select the instrument and press the soft key that corresponds with the "Inst Misc" page and you'll see the LPF bypass toggle.

Also note that this is configured as an 8-voice stereo preset, but since both instruments are bypassing the filter and presumably it doesn't use the oscillators, you should be able to use it in 16-voice mode with no sacrifices whatsoever. That wasn't the case prior to the v2.x operating system updates but it's quite a nice new capability.
Wonderful, many thanks for the tips and clarification.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I had a nice lunch with my friend from Sequential today.

Last edited by Jaded_musician; 22 minutes ago at 01:59 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Several folks have posted here after getting word from SampleRobot about their plans to support the Prophet X. I was fortunate enough to have some spare time in Berlin a few weeks back to meet the company’s founder and talk music tech for an afternoon. It sounded like he had been every bit as persistent as me when it came to asking Sequential for documentation regarding the file format required. I was happy to share tips I had found in the process of building PXToolkit and will be delighted to see what they’ve been up to.

The more, the merrier as far as I’m concerned.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I just picked up a Yamaha CP88 stage piano to compliment the Prophet XL that I'm still waiting for.

The CP88 will give me a wonderful 88 key weighted controller for the Prophet XL as well as bread and butter acoustic and electric pianos. I'm really enjoying it. Yamaha did a nice job with the design of these. They feel significant and they have a nice aesthetic with all black and should look great with the black Prophet XL stacked above it or off to the side.

I was going to try and force the Prophet XL to be used for acoustic piano, but there just isn't enough polyphony to really work. These two keyboards will give me a solid sonic palette from which to work.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just picked up a Yamaha CP88 stage piano to compliment the Prophet XL that I'm still waiting for.
The two should complement each other nicely. I found the action used in the CP-88 to be pretty much ideal for my taste when it comes to piano. There's a good selection of standard foundational tones there that should serve as an ideal counterpoint to the more exotic fare that the Prophet X really shines at. Enjoy!

Now, about the new OS that @ rasseru mentioned a week ago... I know of a couple of bug fixes that have been planned for a forthcoming release. Will it just be those, or is there anything more in the works? I guess it depends on whether the new synth Sequential has been working on is an all-hands-on-deck effort, which would generally be the case for a company of this size.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The two should complement each other nicely. I found the action used in the CP-88 to be pretty much ideal for my taste when it comes to piano. There's a good selection of standard foundational tones there that should serve as an ideal counterpoint to the more exotic fare that the Prophet X really shines at. Enjoy!

Now, about the new OS that @ rasseru mentioned a week ago... I know of a couple of bug fixes that have been planned for a forthcoming release. Will it just be those, or is there anything more in the works? I guess it depends on whether the new synth Sequential has been working on is an all-hands-on-deck effort, which would generally be the case for a company of this size.
only thing I know about is the fix for when you select one velocity layer you couldn't turn off velocity from affecting the VCA, even if you offset it in the mod matrix, it got hardwired in
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I did also ask if they could implement the round robin number as a modulatable destination, not sure whether they will do that or not but it would be incredible if so
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
I did also ask if they could implement the round robin number as a modulatable destination, not sure whether they will do that or not but it would be incredible if so
It would be fascinating as an option, though it gets interesting since every note / velocity combination can have a different number of round robin alternates - and their while there is a defined order to them it is currently not used. Instruments would have to be designed with this kind of thing in mind (and PXToolkit doesn’t go out of its way to make it easy to rearrange them in a particular order.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would be fascinating as an option, though it gets interesting since every note / velocity combination can have a different number of round robin alternates - and their while there is a defined order to them it is currently not used. Instruments would have to be designed with this kind of thing in mind (and PXToolkit doesn’t go out of its way to make it easy to rearrange them in a particular order.)
you could have filter opening on velocity (Y axis) and XMOD opening on Round Robin (X Axis) and all the bits in between.

Use that 1GB limit for one patch or something
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I’m visiting Sequential on Tuesday in San Francisco to pick up my Prophet XL.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m visiting Sequential on Tuesday in San Francisco to pick up my Prophet XL.
Exciting! Check in when you've had a little time with your newest. For all the fuss over other new announcements this week, I have yet to hear anything that gives me the same feeling with Prophet X did when it was first announced - and still does to this day. There's something special about that mix of long, stereo samples going through that particular filter.

While you're there, check out the Pro 2 if you haven't had an opportunity to do so before. I'm still worried I missed an opportunity to pick a new one up as inexpensively as they were being blown out briefly ... but I'm short on space and waiting eagerly to find out what they're up to next.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Hi all quick review...bias alert, I’m a huge fan of Dave Smith for being a pioneer in the field of synths and the way he brought back the analog gear that the world of musicians have been asking for. I own a Rev 2, prophet 12, prophet 6. I was worried that if I picked up the Prophet X it would be an overkill in Dave Smith sound. Boy was I wrong. The sound of the X is more unique to the rest of the sequential line up. This thing is a film scorer’s dream. The patches are dark and inviting it begs you to explore. The possibilities as far as I can see are endless. This thing is a beast and it makes you want to feed it. So far I’ve purchased all 8Dio add-on’s, they sound really great. The closest synth in my collection to this is my nord stage 2 where you could mix samples with pianos and organs. The Prophet X takes it further. The only complaint so far is the relationship between sounds and banks? When loading new samples where do they go? What is the most sound that one could load and access. With the stage 2 you could load as many sound/presets as you want up to 380 megs it comes with a polished software that you could drag and drop and take away what you don’t need. The prophet X has some work around that I’m still trying to learn..for example I purchased the gold baby blue wave pack, can I add this pack to the keyboard without deleting what’s there since I have all the 8dio packs up to the Jupiter 4....well I don’t know some folks have stated while loading stuff whole banks have been deleted, I need some clarity in that area. The keyboard is great. It was a toss up between the prophet x and the waldorf Q. In the end the X was more my speed as far as sounds that are ready to go.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
Hi all quick review
Thanks for writing up your impressions.

Quote:
The only complaint so far is the relationship between sounds and banks? When loading new samples where do they go?
Banks are where presets reside, and these are divided into Factory, User, and Add-On which are completely distinct. You can't (easily) overwrite Factory or Add-On presets so no need to worry there - you can have 512 presets of your own in the four user banks, while Sequential's factory presets occupy their own banks, and 8Dio's presets also have their own reserved banks.

Groups are where samples reside, completely separate from presets which refer to samples rather than containing them. There are also Factory, User, and Add-On groups to keep the original sample set, your own samples and third-party samples like Goldbaby's, and 8Dio's samples respectively. So you don't need to worry about conflicts between 8Dio or factory samples and anyone else's.

What you do need to consider is the potential for conflicts between your own custom samples and third-party, and between your own presets and third-party, because there are only eight "user groups" and four "user banks" for samples and presets, respectively.

Quote:
What is the most sound that one could load and access. With the stage 2 you could load as many sound/presets as you want up to 380 megs it comes with a polished software that you could drag and drop and take away what you don’t need.
The internal storage has room for 200 gigabytes of samples, 150GB worth of factory samples and an additional 50GB for samples you purchase or create yourself. That 50GB is more than one hundred times as much storage as the Stage 2, so it might have seemed reasonable to assume that people wouldn't run out of space and need to manage samples as closely, but it's amazing how much space you can take up if you work at it!

All sample installation and deletion takes place from the Prophet X user interface. You can only delete entire groups while installation adds to a group, replacing samples in the same Group with an identical Type + Instrument # if there are conflicts.

Does that clarify things?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search