The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequential Prophet X
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lee Gibson View Post
Hi guys. Canadian guy here again. So I took the plunge and bought the xl awhile ago. Been getting lost in it ever since. At the point now where I am starting to hook it up to other gear. My question today is what should I be downloading into my computer to set it all up. I know about the 8dios samples and their editor so that is in the list. Looking at the sequential site...there is the factory programs and alternate tunings. Do I need that or is it redundant? I guess the sound editor is a no brainer right?
Welcome! I’m glad to hear you found a local retailer you were comfortable with, and hope the Prophet XL is living up to your expectations. The factory programs download just restores the user programs that were there from the factory, so need for it, really. The alternate tunings are also likely redundant if your Prophet X came with the v2.1.0.0.0 firmware (if you don’t have that firmware you should immediately update prior to installing any new samples!) I haven’t actually confirmed that they’re present in new units from the factory but it would be odd if they weren’t preloading them now.

Some people quite like the SoundTower editor, but I much prefer using the Prophet X front panel for sound design. It’s optional, and most useful if you’re juggling a ton of presets.

The official sample import utility has some significant limitations. If you’re interested in making your own samples using velocity layers or round-robin alternates I would recommend my own PXToolkit, available for free for personal use here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S h a w View Post
The location for loading the user samples is simple enough -- I believe you can just change the name of the folder [change "u07" to "u06", for example], but redirecting the presets. Argh... it'd have to be done by hand at this point.

@ ladyGaia is that correct?
It is. You rename u07 to u06 to change the install from User Bank 8 to 7. Or use any of u00 through u05. Yes, remapping presets is another story. I intend to help out here at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett View Post
You can point the samples to another location by renaming the folder (u07 to u06 or whatever) but the samples inside that folder will have to be renamed to avoid overwriting ones you have in u06 already.
So long as one of your eight User Banks is free and you’re not married to having the presets, it really is that easy. You can also install two sample packs in the same User Bank if they categories they fill are unrelated (not helpful with the PPG and Deckard’s Dream packs, presumably, since they’re both synths.)

There is definitely room for improvement in this area. Hopefully a combination of my own eventual efforts and anything Sequential might choose to do can keep up with third-party offerings. If eight Banks sounds too limited, keep in mind that the whole 150GB factory sample set occupies a single bank. I would strongly recommend making the most of u00 by using all available categories and index #s for your own personal samples so you have seven banks remaining for community and commercial samples.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I would strongly recommend making the most of u00 by using all available categories and index #s for your own personal samples so you have seven banks remaining for community and commercial samples.
That doesn't help if all the commercial banks decide to load samples in the Synths folder under bank u07 in the same locations used by another commercial sound bank.

I've been using both your sample set creation and renaming software extensively LG—so once again, thanks for that.

Just thinking aloud.

The presets must contain the pointers to the sample locations.

What's needed (at least) is a piece of software that you drag the new samples onto, looks at your USB dongle file structure and renames any that clash and copies these renamed files into the next available location on the dongle. Then it needs to open any presets, find the names of the associated samples and search for them on the USB dongle and reconnect the link.

Simple! (Why don't we have an irony font on the Internet?)

Which is basically what I'm doing manually. It's not easy with lots of samples!

Stephen
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like I said on the Sequential forum: It's logical that we would both see the logic of starting at the end...

The location for loading the user samples is simple enough -- I believe you can just change the name of the folder [change "u07" to "u06", for example], but redirecting the presets. Argh... it'd have to be done by hand at this point.

@ ladyGaia is that correct?
I am willing to volunteer for a bank or two of redirecting presets since you did us all the good favor of sharing all this. I have Goldbaby's stuff too, so it is a win, win for me. I imagine it would be as easy as choosing another bank like U06, writing over GoldBaby's presets with yours, saving those to a new bank one at a time and repointing samples if nessecary, but if I save to a new bank I shouldn't have to do that right? Then after that I can just reload GoldBaby and share out the alternate user bank. Should only take me an hour or so one night. Happy to help if you'd like. Just downloaded your samples on my work's 1GB connection. That made it not so bad :-)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

At the very least, I should be able to throw together a utility that redirects every preset in a sysex dump from one sample bank to another (I actually ask Sequential for some of the details I’d need last week which they have kindly provided already.) I can likely also remap the preset to another preset bank if desired. It’ll be ugly initially and likely macOS only, but it’s something I can offer to sample authors like Shaw and Huggie so they can offer alternate preset banks with their samples. It probably won’t happen for another week or two, so manual workarounds in the meantime would be great.

Incidentally, for anyone who might be curious, just under 30% of the unique IP addresses who have downloaded PXToolkit are using the Windows version. I was quite surprised it was that low.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I guess we should be glad DS is making it possible to develop third party solutions.

Ultra grateful, LG.

Stephen
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Lady Gaia. Will try your tookit for sure. Just a side note, when I contacted sequential re: future support and 8dios, there was a reference to user created platforms. Pretty sure they were talking about you!

Take care!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Update on the Deckard's Dream Samples:

I'm about finished making presets for these samples, and when done I will provide the presets for all 4 user banks so you can choose where you want to install them (shout out to Lady Gaiai for suggesting an easy way to copy from one banks to another)...

Also in doing these presets, I've resampled a few of the instruments.... And couple that with the fact that some people are having issues downloading the .zip file (I think because the file is almost 20GB in size)... Once I'm done with the presets / resamples, I will re-upload as several smaller .zip files of around 800MB or so each. That should be small enough to make it easier for more people to download the files without any issues. I'll be done with all of this *hopefully* by the weekend.

Rock on, kids!
Old 1 day ago
M32
Lives for gear
I've been thinking about getting a prophet X again.

Lately I mostly spend my time playing non-electronic music, and I've gotten a bit tired of bread and butter synth sounds. I have a prophet 6 but I'm not really connecting to it that much. It sounds a bit thin, and the filter doesn't really growl ( it is a great synth, I am lucky enough to be spoilt for good synths, and I don't really have that much need for classic pads and brass in my music)

I used to have a P12 that I had to sell when I was in some financial trouble. The sound wasn't amazingly fat or vintage, but I loved it's deep modulation layering and soundscaping capabilities.

So I am wondering if the PX could fill that gap. I would have to sell the P6 though.

Do you folks think it would? I love blending acoustic and electronic timbres.
The samples and presets in the PX don't really wow me, there's tons of stuff I'd never use.

Sometimes I think omnisphere is a lot more versatile and flexible, at a fraction of the cost.

What 8dio pack would you get if you could have only one?

As said, classic vintage sounds aren't really what I'm looking for.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I'm about finished making presets for these samples, and when done I will provide the presets for all 4 user banks so you can choose where you want to install them ...
Just listened to the audio samples. Wow, I think you just sold me on a Prophet X. Your Deckard/CS-80 stuff really sings in a way that no other CS-80 sampleset I've heard does.

I'm not even concerned with the purism of "does it sound exactly like a CS-80" ... it captures the vibe of the instrument in a very lively, musical way. If it sound this good over compressed internet playback... wow.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
What 8dio pack would you get if you could have only one?

As said, classic vintage sounds aren't really what I'm looking for.
I probably wouldn’t bother with any of them if classic vintage sounds aren’t what you want.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It feels like we’ve been chatting about this project for a while now, so you know I’m excited about the prospect and have been eager to hear what you had in mind. Listening to it come together with such a compelling demo is really remarkable. It sounds so distinctive that I can’t wait to try it out for myself!
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Some observation regarding the collision of Shaw and Goldbaby:

1) We've been careening towards vendors colliding in the memory space for at least a year since the synth's delivery. Where's the planning? I had not really thought about it, but it's not my job.

2) In retrospect, I'm surprised it took this long.

3) There's been at least 6 months since the sample utility's release that Sequential and 8DIO have had time to think about it. Ball dropped.

4) Our super star developer has been busy getting the community up to self reliance. Thank goodness.

5) What's next?
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Some observation regarding the collision of Shaw and Goldbaby...
Collision?! Ouch, that sounds harsh.

I’m sure it will get sorted. I’d personally like to see the Add-On sample and preset banks opened up to other developers besides 8dio,... maybe that’s already possible now? At any rate, that type of competition in sample creation would only be good for Sequential.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

The Add-On preset and sample banks are definitely reserved to avoid any collision potential with 8Dio’s offerings. As I mentioned, Sequential has helpfully provided all the answers I’d need to relocate presets and samples from one user space to another. They’re well aware of the surge in available content and are doubtless factoring feedback into any future plans.
Old 10 hours ago
Quote:
Update on the Deckard's Dream Samples:

I'm about finished making presets for these samples, and when done I will provide the presets for all 4 user banks so you can choose where you want to install them (shout out to Lady Gaiai for suggesting an easy way to copy from one banks to another)...

Also in doing these presets, I've resampled a few of the instruments.... And couple that with the fact that some people are having issues downloading the .zip file (I think because the file is almost 20GB in size)... Once I'm done with the presets / resamples, I will re-upload as several smaller .zip files of around 800MB or so each. That should be small enough to make it easier for more people to download the files without any issues. I'll be done with all of this *hopefully* by the weekend.

Rock on, kids!
If anyone falls in love and wants to buy a DD, I am selling one of mine on reverb atm.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search