The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Prophet X
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5371
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
I’m throwing this question out to fellow PX owners, since they can hear these patches. Do you know of any other hardware workstation or sound module that can come close to those sounds? I’ve had the Roland integra, and maybe the strings can come close, but I’m pretty sure no piano comes close. How about kurz, Yamaha, or Korg?
I also find some of the string samples to be particularly compelling and wouldn’t say I’ve got their like anywhere else. The pianos, on the other hand, don’t do it for me at all. The Grand Piano 1928 doesn’t just have character, it has irredeemable decisions baked into the samples that I just can’t get past. Everything from the tuning to the heavy compression and muffled quality makes it useful in a really specific, narrow range of applications.

I vastly prefer my Kurzweil Forte for piano, and am happy to use the synthesis engine to darken, compress, and detune to taste rather than being stuck with all those decisions in the original samples. Then again, that’s the wonder of having gobs of storage spaces the Prophet X - you can always add another piano or two.

... but everyone has their own sensibilities when it comes to sound, so I’m delighted this piano resonates with yours. If you’re curious, I can record something dark and moody from the Forte for reference, but why not stick with what you already like?
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5372
Lives for gear
 
Forbidden Planet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
I’ve been so enamored by the Grand Piano 1928 and ArcoChamber C-D. I’m now actually debating getting the 8dio kontakt packs for them, so I can get more polyphony. I am trying my darn hardest to stay away from any setup that involves a computer, but if I must, I guess I must.

But I’m throwing this question out to fellow PX owners, since they can hear these patches. Do you know of any other hardware workstation or sound module that can come close to those sounds? I’ve had the Roland integra, and maybe the strings can come close, but I’m pretty sure no piano comes close. How about kurz, Yamaha, or Korg?

It’s the mellowness of the lower and mid velocity samples on the piano that just get me.

Any suggestions?

Side note: If Dave made a simple rompler (dare I say even with no digital filters even) with 8dio sounds and 64 note polyphony, maybe 4-8 parts, it’s but it in a heartbeat.
Keep in mind that the updated OS enables 16 voice polyphony in stereo if you are content with one instrument - which you would be with a rompler I guess...
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5373
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I also find some of the string samples to be particularly compelling and wouldn’t say I’ve got their like anywhere else. The pianos, on the other hand, don’t do it for me at all. The Grand Piano 1928 doesn’t just have character, it has irredeemable decisions baked into the samples that I just can’t get past. Everything from the tuning to the heavy compression and muffled quality makes it useful in a really specific, narrow range of applications.

I vastly prefer my Kurzweil Forte for piano, and am happy to use the synthesis engine to darken, compress, and detune to taste rather than being stuck with all those decisions in the original samples. Then again, that’s the wonder of having gobs of storage spaces the Prophet X - you can always add another piano or two.

... but everyone has their own sensibilities when it comes to sound, so I’m delighted this piano resonates with yours. If you’re curious, I can record something dark and moody from the Forte for reference, but why not stick with what you already like?
Could you please? I would love to hear what that sounds like.

I will admit that the velocity layers for 1928 are very abrupt. But the mood and feel just gets me.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5374
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
Keep in mind that the updated OS enables 16 voice polyphony in stereo if you are content with one instrument - which you would be with a rompler I guess...
Wait what? I can get 16 stereo notes of 1928?
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5375
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
The Grand Piano 1928 doesn’t just have character, it has irredeemable decisions baked into the samples that I just can’t get past. Everything from the tuning to the heavy compression and muffled quality makes it useful in a really specific, narrow range of applications.
I'm not a fan of the 1928 piano either. 8Dio has other sampled pianos, it would have been nice if they had used samples from more of their other piano libraries. But the nice thing is that we can always add our own piano samples which is what I'm planning to do. The user space on the SSD is just begging to be used
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5376
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
Wait what? I can get 16 stereo notes of 1928?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
Keep in mind that the updated OS enables 16 voice polyphony in stereo if you are content with one instrument - which you would be with a rompler I guess...
I think you’re conflating two changes in the current OS. You can get 32 stereo voices if you can live with a single instrument and oscillator plus paraphonic playback (one pair of filters used for all voices.)

... or you can use 16-voice mode and you get both oscillators and both instruments, and any instrument that bypasses the filter will still play back in stereo.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5377
Lives for gear
 
Forbidden Planet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I think you’re conflating two changes in the current OS. You can get 32 stereo voices if you can live with a single instrument and oscillator plus paraphonic playback (one pair of filters used for all voices.)

... or you can use 16-voice mode and you get both oscillators and both instruments, and any instrument that bypasses the filter will still play back in stereo.
Yes, even better than I remembered it then. Surely 16 voice polyphony should be sufficient....
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5378
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
Yes, even better than I remembered it then. Surely 16 voice polyphony should be sufficient....
If I can get 8 stereo voices of piano and another 8 stereo of strings, I’ll be a super happy camper. 4 and 4 is not ideal
Old 22nd May 2019
  #5379
Here for the gear
 

Thanks again lady. L&M have them in stock for web sales. I really wish I could get some hands on before buying but not looking possible unless I find someone who has one in the Montreal area.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #5380
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
Could you please? I would love to hear what that sounds like.
I didn't try to mimic the 1928 Grand Piano, this is just the "Elegant Grand" patch from the Kurzweil Forte with some of the performance controls tweaked (slider A all the way down to cut out some of the default brightness, and reverb turned off entirely.)

Old 23rd May 2019
  #5381
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I didn't try to mimic the 1928 Grand Piano, this is just the "Elegant Grand" patch from the Kurzweil Forte with some of the performance controls tweaked (slider A all the way down to cut out some of the default brightness, and reverb turned off entirely.)

That’s a very decent sounding piano, thanks so much posting!
Old 23rd May 2019
  #5382
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
That’s a very decent sounding piano, thanks so much posting!
It's not quite as satisfying as sitting down at my actual piano, but it is a whole lot easier to record! The multi-gigabyte piano samples in the Forte ROM aren't looped, so they're definitely a cut above some of the older material in their library. It's utterly usable for a wide range of digital synthesis needs and I like the keyboard action quite a lot, which makes it the perfect partner for my Prophet X.
Old 24th May 2019
  #5383
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I didn't try to mimic the 1928 Grand Piano, this is just the "Elegant Grand" patch from the Kurzweil Forte with some of the performance controls tweaked (slider A all the way down to cut out some of the default brightness, and reverb turned off entirely.)

Beautiful !
Old 24th May 2019
  #5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Wow! Gorgeous! Lovely composition/playing.
Old 24th May 2019
  #5385
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
Beautiful !
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Wow! Gorgeous! Lovely composition/playing.
Thanks! Piano is definitely where I feel most comfortable, though it's all unstructured improvisation. One of these days I really do have to find the discipline to turn those habits into something more.
Old 24th May 2019
  #5386
Lives for gear
 
Forbidden Planet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
If I can get 8 stereo voices of piano and another 8 stereo of strings, I’ll be a super happy camper. 4 and 4 is not ideal
Just bypass
The filter in 16 voice mode and you will get 16 voices from both of them, in stereo...
Old 5th June 2019
  #5387
Lives for gear
 

Does anyone know which 8dio instrument for kontakt corresponds with the ArcoChamber C-D samples in the PX? I’m ready to get the same sound for my ITB setup. I’ve tried contacting 8dio, but no response yet...
Old 6th June 2019
  #5388
Are any of the 8dio add-ons worth grabbing?
Has anyone heard if they are going to create more acoustically derived libraries? Currently it seems they are all vintage synths.
Old 6th June 2019
  #5389
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
Are any of the 8dio add-ons worth grabbing?
Has anyone heard if they are going to create more acoustically derived libraries? Currently it seems they are all vintage synths.
8Dio have been a waste of space with their add-on packs and sample tool. The tool for instance was released in beta form in December with very limited function and buggy (more like an alpha done by a novice) and nothing since then, amazing that they think this is acceptable for supporting a $4k instrument. And then the add-on packs, only four since the Prophet X was announced, nothing of much substance other than varioius synth wave form based samples and one mediocore electric piano. No grand piano as promised and zero anthing else. I've given up with them.
Old 6th June 2019
  #5390
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager View Post
8Dio have been a waste of space with their add-on packs and sample tool. The tool for instance was released in beta form in December with very limited function and buggy (more like an alpha done by a novice) and nothing since then, amazing that they think this is acceptable for supporting a $4k instrument. And then the add-on packs, only four since the Prophet X was announced, nothing of much substance other than varioius synth wave form based samples and one mediocore electric piano. No grand piano as promised and zero anthing else. I've given up with them.
Too bad Dave Smith elected to partner with such a slacker company. I've been eyeing this synth for a while but the bad things I read on 8Dio are keeping me from jumping in. I love Sequential and Dave Smith though...
Old 6th June 2019
  #5391
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouby View Post
Too bad Dave Smith elected to partner with such a slacker company. I've been eyeing this synth for a while but the bad things I read on 8Dio are keeping me from jumping in. I love Sequential and Dave Smith though...
If Sample Robot (or someone else) comes out with a full featured sample conversion tool for the PX it won't much matter. Lady GAIA has already gotten very far with that.

The only issue for "divorcing 8DIO" at that point would be erasing the factory content.
Old 6th June 2019
  #5392
Thanks for the headsup on 8DIO, has any one reached out to DS about this? I feel a little bamboozled after reading these posts, I will say I still love it, and have faith in the user community to make up for the BS partnership with 8DIO. You would think a small company like 8 would have an easy market capture but it seems they are more than ok with letting others pick up the slack. I may have to look into seeing if there is a way to write a script that can automate converting kontackt instruments.
Old 6th June 2019
  #5393
Lives for gear
 
drxcm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
Thanks for the headsup on 8DIO, has any one reached out to DS about this? I feel a little bamboozled after reading these posts, I will say I still love it, and have faith in the user community to make up for the BS partnership with 8DIO. You would think a small company like 8 would have an easy market capture but it seems they are more than ok with letting others pick up the slack. I may have to look into seeing if there is a way to write a script that can automate converting kontackt instruments.
Yes I'm certain Sequential is aware of the lack of user sampling support development by 8DIO. Like others I'd like to see some more interesting packs than just analog synth waveforms.
It has been a massive disappointment for me too.
I do quite like the factory set, and most of the 8DIO add-ons still have useful sounds for me.

However, Lady Gaia's utility and user samples are working well for me, and with the upcoming Goldbaby PPG pack I'm not put off in the slightest with the Prophet X as an instrument for the present and future.
Old 7th June 2019
  #5394
rsv
Here for the gear
 

The prophet x is an instrument for the future. I think they gonna do a lot add on , they say 32 and you can add your own saples too . We have to use ladygaia utility and user samples now , 8dio they dont gonna do anything now before they do all that 32 add on .
Old 7th June 2019
  #5395
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
If Sample Robot (or someone else) comes out with a full featured sample conversion tool for the PX it won't much matter. Lady GAIA has already gotten very far with that.
The current PXToolkit version 0.9.9 has everything I’m planning to release as 1.0 in the near future. There are some minor features I’m considering following up with later, like AIFF support, but I don’t expect to turn it into a full-fledged sample editing tool. It’s intended to be a companion to something like SampleRobot for looping, trimming, full sample rate conversion (though I do already import other sample rates - I just rely on the Prophet X to pitch shift them), or other forms of editing. If I ever do something along those lines it would be a distinct commercial app.

So with that sort of functionality aside, is PXToolkit missing anything in particular you’d want to see? I have given some thought to integrating the renumbering support I released as a stand-alone utility, and possibly looking into whether I can make corresponding changes in sysex preset dumps so that they refer to the new sample location. No timetable, of course, but it would help make the most of the eight available user banks.
Old 7th June 2019
  #5396
Gear Head
 

Hey all,
Getting going with Sample Robot Pro 6 on macOS 10.14.5 for the first time to start building libraries for our Prophet X's and I've got things mostly working. However, I can't seem to turn on release for the release sample? I can set the release sample length in the wizard but I'm unable to make release markers and the "Note/Release" tab as depicted in their manual and tutorials only says "Note". I've reached out to the Support contact at Sample Robot a few times over the last 3 days but haven't heard anything back yet. Could use some help from a Sample Robot master!

Also, I know there's been a lot of talk about piano sounds for the Prophet X, anyone found anything they really like yet? Thanks!
Old 7th June 2019
  #5397
Lives for gear
 

FWIW, I don’t think the Prophet X has release samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm231805 View Post
Hey all,
Getting going with Sample Robot Pro 6 on macOS 10.14.5 for the first time to start building libraries for our Prophet X's and I've got things mostly working. However, I can't seem to turn on release for the release sample? I can set the release sample length in the wizard but I'm unable to make release markers and the "Note/Release" tab as depicted in their manual and tutorials only says "Note". I've reached out to the Support contact at Sample Robot a few times over the last 3 days but haven't heard anything back yet. Could use some help from a Sample Robot master!

Also, I know there's been a lot of talk about piano sounds for the Prophet X, anyone found anything they really like yet? Thanks!
Old 7th June 2019
  #5398
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
FWIW, I don’t think the Prophet X has release samples
Thanks for the response and I was wondering about that.

So are people handling sampling sounds with long reverb/delay/ tails in Sample Robot?
Old 7th June 2019
  #5399
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm231805 View Post
Thanks for the response and I was wondering about that.
It’s true. Individual samples either have one loop, or none.

Quote:
So are people handling sampling sounds with long reverb/delay/ tails in Sample Robot?
One of the advantages of having a ton of storage is simply recording the full natural decay for sounds that don’t have indefinite sustain and doing without a loop altogether. Most acoustic instruments on the Prophet X follow this general approach.
Old 7th June 2019
  #5400
Gear Addict
 
REwire's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
.
is PXToolkit missing anything in particular you’d want to see? I have given some thought to integrating the renumbering support I released as a stand-alone utility,
I really would like a renumbering feature in the PX Toolkit. The standalone line editor is too difficult to easily use though I appreciate having something. But a load and resave with new numbering would make sample management so useful. I have scattered zips I want to put all together is one user slot.

On another note, the 8DIO OB-X samples have the worst looping of all the sample libraries so far. there's some glitching at the loop points in their more complex mixed waveform samples. Bad but actually testimony the OB-X stuff is the most lively vintage sounding add on yet. I could erase the P5 and Arp2600 and not lose anything.

Dan
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump