The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequential Prophet X Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameTop View Post
Sound On Sound new issue just landed with a review of the PX.

Also interesting side box; there is a picture of the Prophet XL! A 76 key version offering 32-voice mode using the filters paraphonically.
Screen capture or it didn't happen.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
There’s a momentary glimpse in their preview video for the issue at around 0:27...

Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Thanks Lady! So the only differences are more keys (different keybed?) and some sort of paraphony?
Old 18th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not allowed to post IMG links here :(
Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameTop View Post
Unfortunately I am not allowed to post IMG links here :(
Blimey. Well at the very least can you divulge whatever other information is provided? Google is turning up precisely zero; well, aside from some Prophet 5 t-shirts available in size XL
Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

I can't be the only person intrigued here... Heck I'd upgrade just for a better keybed.

At any rate, I've got about three days left to return my PX for an exchange or refund, so I'll be sitting here patiently refreshing the page and tapping on my desk for the rest of the day if anyone wants to chime in with some more deets...
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Addict
Prophet XL, here it is:

And free 32 voice mode update for existing users, nice!
Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Nice indeed! Thanks! So last remaining tidbit would be that keybed. If it's better than the TP/9S in the PX I'm in, weighted or whatever...
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

“At the time unannounced” sounds like the writer wasn’t exactly expecting this article to be breaking news but rather to follow the official announcement, which hasn’t occurred. Interesting.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

32 voice mode will be
Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

No 32 voice mode will be, as my teenager would say,
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Glad the features are coming to all boards since the X is less than six months old and I was an early adopter. I would have been pissed otherwise.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
“At the time unannounced” sounds like the writer wasn’t exactly expecting this article to be breaking news but rather to follow the official announcement, which hasn’t occurred. Interesting.
Since the cat is out of the bag, did you see this on your trip to the office? Are the other new features mentioned cool too? No need to provide details on those as its not completely out of the bag. Just curious of your impressions as you are an owner and power user so I value your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
Since the cat is out of the bag, did you see this on your trip to the office?
I think it’s fair to say at this point: yes, I had some hands-on time with the Prophet XL and chatted with staff at Sequential about some of what they were working on for it.

Quote:
Are the other new features mentioned cool too? No need to provide details on those as its not completely out of the bag. Just curious of your impressions as you are an owner and power user so I value your thoughts.
Since what I saw was pre-production I’d be hesitant to make any assumptions about exactly what they’re going to ship. Plans change during product development, so I think official word on the exact feature set they’re promising is worth waiting for ... but I’m very much looking forward to the corresponding firmware update for the Prophet X!
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it’s fair to say at this point: yes, I had some hands-on time with the Prophet XL and chatted with staff at Sequential about some of what they were working on for it.

Since what I saw was pre-production I’d be hesitant to make any assumptions about exactly what they’re going to ship. Plans change during product development, so I think official word on the exact feature set they’re promising is worth waiting for ... but I’m very much looking forward to the corresponding firmware update for the Prophet X!
Thank you. I appreciate it X owner to X owner. I am super excited too and a little jealous that I have to wait to know more
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Looks like the first time in my life I deliver breaking news.....

Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it’s fair to say at this point: yes, I had some hands-on time with the Prophet XL
How are the keys, pray tell?
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Addict

They're going to release another version of this and haven't yet done the software to allow user sampling yet

I hate to say I bought it for that but I did.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
They're going to release another version of this and haven't yet done the software to allow user sampling yet

They promised it and I believe them, but I am pumped about the new features as I think these will also be beneficial to all of us. Hoping for better sample controls like control over cross fade points, etc.
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Addict

We have already implemented USER sampling and ADD on pack addition functionality in an internally released OS version. We are now awaiting finalization of the USER SAMPLE MAPPING/EDITOR application to be complete, though we already have BETA versions of the software which are currently working. 8DIO plans to release the ADD on packs in the very near future.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

The kind and wonderful CBMD also confirmed on the DSI forum that all of us OG Prophet X users will benefit from all firmware changes. Looks like the only change is the keyed quality and number of keys if those matter to you. I think it is a variant of the keyed on the Moog 1 with a piano action. It is a TP8, he has more info on the DSI forum with those details if you are interested. This synth just keeps getting better and better.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The software is due in December and it’s October. The announcement about this was made at launch. Presumably the software is out in the field getting beta tested.

I see no reason why releasing a PXL with a different keybed should make any difference to this.
Old 18th October 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
The kind and wonderful CBMD also confirmed on the DSI forum that all of us OG Prophet X users will benefit from all firmware changes. Looks like the only change is the keyed quality and number of keys if those matter to you. I think it is a variant of the keyed on the Moog 1 with a piano action. It is a TP8, he has more info on the DSI forum with those details if you are interested. This synth just keeps getting better and better.
TP8/Piano to be precise. Makes a darn good action when weighted, and a superb semi-weighted action (its very similar to what's in my ASR-10 and A-70). The TP40 is better as a weighted action though.
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
The software is due in December and it’s October. The announcement about this was made at launch. Presumably the software is out in the field getting beta tested.

I see no reason why releasing a PXL with a different keybed should make any difference to this.
I've suddenly gotten very ansy since the Moog One came out to deep sample my Minimoog into the PX and see how that plays.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
TP8/Piano to be precise. Makes a darn good action when weighted, and a superb semi-weighted action (its very similar to what's in my ASR-10 and A-70). The TP40 is better as a weighted action though.
Thanks Mp3!
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

They can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Quote:

Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
They can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.
Perhaps more importantly, different people are doing the walking vs. the chewing. The XL is a new case and keyboard action, but as far as I know everything else about it is identical. I can virtually guarantee that the physical design and manufacturing are done by people who aren’t involved in coding the sample preparation software.

The 32-note polyphony and other features require Prophet X/XL firmware work, but the work in that area has long since been completed for importing user samples. Again, different people are responsible for the software to prepare samples on Mac or PC.

... better yet, as has been confirmed on Sequential’s forums, all of the new features are coming to the hardware I already own. That’s fantastic news as far as I’m concerned.

Regarding the keybed? I look forward to trying out a production model XL to see if anything changed from the pre-production hardware which wasn’t really to my taste. I already have an 88-key TP/40L-based weighted keyboard sitting below my Prophet X on the same stand, so I enjoy having the lighter TP/9s action as a contrast and don’t have any immediate plans to swap it out.
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:

I wonder if this is tied in with the user sample option release date and the availability of the 8Dio sample packs. Makes you wonder.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear
Right... so if they can make an 'XL' version of this thing, they can sure as **** make a proper version of the Prophet 6

Call it...

"Prophet We've run out of name's and numbers now"

FIVE (yes five.. remember 5 octave polys?) octaves
6-8 voices (fine with 6 if keeps cost down)
Richer/deeper/free-er sounding VCOs than P6
Modulation wheel freely assignable to anything (and separate from every other LFO)
At least 2 other normal LFOs (not inc poly mod osc LFO)
Dual filters and separate HP analog filters and 2/4 pole on the low pass, band/notch/SVF included
On Board modulatable FX but without going overboard to the point it feels more like you're sat programming a computer than an instrument. Maybe leave out reverbs altogether which are often useless for recording (or poor compared to better outboard/ITB verbs), and just have the sound manipulation stuff like delay, modulation, chorus.

and...
Similar looks to P6/OB-6 but merged with a Prophet 12/PX vibe with a few more hands on controls (sliders/pad/w/e)

Sequential are making better looking synths than the Moog One.. I've kind of grown rapidly tired of looking at that Moog monster after initially being blown away by its looks it now already looks very unrefined, overblown and touch ugly to me and it's not even released yet. The lexan panel is getting fingerprinty and dusty looking on videos/photos very fast. The painted metal sequential stuff is MUCH better.

The prophet 6/OB-6/Prophet X/P12 all look much nicer as instruments than the Moon One which seems like an outsized vintage looking but far from vintage sounding sound factory with very little to love from the heart and only from the head.

Play to your strengths and improve on them Sequential! Trust me there's a lot of synth nuts out there with ~£3.5k or so who are hungry for a new VCO poly with rich, exciting and musical character and have been disappointed by the Moog's lack of tone and warmth (which it certainly has a lot of sound shaping potential it's coming off a bit generic at doing a thousand things rather than beautiful at doing less.. I'll always go for the latter but P6 was very close.. not close enough. just sold mine.. a future full on 5 octave VCO poly could finally be what many of us wanted all along.

p.s NO CURTIS CHIPS! New SSM filters, OB filter, NEW better VCOS and FIVE... 1,2,3,4,5! Octaves and you'll have a LOT of money for Dave's tequilla come 2019 returns on investment!
Old 19th October 2018
This is actually "good" news to me. I feared/hoped the new synth would be a "synth-only" version of the Prophet X at Rev2 pricing; i.e., a new DSI-style analog poly employing the X' luscious SSI2144 filters. As Pro5 alludes, a "better" flagship poly which improves on the Prophet 6. Perhaps even with multiple Pro2-style filters, which I imagine is certainly within their grasp technically. A new Prophet X remains outside of my interest but kudos to those who've been waiting for an expanded X.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search