The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Prophet X
Old 26th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
For what it's worth my update went quick and flawlessly, but I am sure DSI will get you back up and running soon.
Yep, they got back to me within the day and I'm now up and running again on the updated OS.
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

two questions:

1. could someone send me the latest beta OS?
i cannot register or login in the forum, though i can on the SEQUENTIAL homepage... thanks (please PM )

2. is it possible to modulate in the matrix, which sample is played, so for example
an arpeggio on a drum set has some variations and does not always trigger the same drum hits?

thanks again!
Old 7th October 2018
M32
Lives for gear

Seriously considering saving up for a P-X.
I was wondering if there was a PX owner out there willing to record some simple chords with raw oscillator sounds followed by some filter sweeps at no Res, 9 o clock and 12 o clock? Also a few low notes with PWM modulation.
Just to know where I stand with the digital oscs. If they are akin to the p12 that's fine, but I'm hoping the filter circuit imparts some flavour, like on the P2. Also, does anyone hear aliasing/artifacts in the high notes?
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
I was wondering if there was a PX owner out there willing to record some simple chords with raw oscillator sounds followed by some filter sweeps at no Res, 9 o clock and 12 o clock? Also a few low notes with PWM modulation.
I've covered at least some of your requests on my SoundCloud account.

Quote:
Just to know where I stand with the digital oscs. If they are akin to the p12 that's fine, but I'm hoping the filter circuit imparts some flavour, like on the P2. Also, does anyone hear aliasing/artifacts in the high notes?
They're similar to a subset of the P12 oscillator waves. Lacking sample playback, the P12 offers a wider range of shapes, but the basics covered by the Prophet X stand up nicely (sawtooth / sine / square / supersaw and shaped variations.) The filters are wonderful at imparting a nice, rounded tone and are the reason I bought the instrument.

I haven't heard any aliasing at all. It appears to use nicely band limited DSP algorithms to produce oscillators, and does a brilliant job of even extreme sample stretching.
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

I bought the X today and it's amazing.
The sounds, the capabilities, im gonna throw half my vst's.

I have some questions marks though - one being when I connect headphones the sound is all panned to the right for some reason.
Hp works fine with other sources.

And also, I've saved 3 of my own presets so far, but after restarting they've disappeared completely - and with the last one I even took time naming the preset and double checking where I saved it.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, it's my first hardware after years of soft synths.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeskystalker View Post
I bought the X today and it's amazing.
Congratulations! Be sure to keep up with firmware updates. There’s a beta posted on the Sequential forums (you have to register there to download it) which addresses a number of minor issues.

Quote:
I have some questions marks though - one being when I connect headphones the sound is all panned to the right for some reason.
Hmmm. Hard to diagnose remotely, just be sure the jack is fully seated. Incomplete insertion can result in only one side of the signs, coming through.

Quote:
I've saved 3 of my own presets so far, but after restarting they've disappeared completely - and with the last one I even took time naming the preset and double checking where I saved it.
Keep in mind that there are factory preset banks and user banks. You can only save in the user banks, so it’s possible you’re starting with something from F1, for example, editing it and saving in U1 without realizing that’s a completely different bank. Try stepping through all the available banks to find the user banks where your changes should have been saved. The Add-In banks (egg A1) are reserved for presets that accompany forthcoming sample packs.
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Congratulations! Be sure to keep up with firmware updates. There’s a beta posted on the Sequential forums (you have to register there to download it) which addresses a number of minor issues.
Oh, I just downloaded the "official" version I think.

Quote:
Hmmm. Hard to diagnose remotely, just be sure the jack is fully seated. Incomplete insertion can result in only one side of the signs, coming through.
Its fully seated, a bit worrying actually....

Quote:
Keep in mind that there are factory preset banks and user banks. You can only save in the user banks, so it’s possible you’re starting with something from F1, for example, editing it and saving in U1 without realizing that’s a completely different bank. Try stepping through all the available banks to find the user banks where your changes should have been saved. The Add-In banks (egg A1) are reserved for presets that accompany forthcoming sample packs.
Yeah, but when I saved presets I just got to choose from binary banks, like bank: 1, bank: 2 etc, no names on them, is there a way to determine which is which?

Loving it so far, except for these minor issues, but I feel like a tutorial would be mighty helpful, but I doubt Groove3 and the usual suspects will make a tut on this one considering its price rang, maybe you guys on here know of one?

Only thing I've found was an article on the subject, called "Master Class: Dave Smith Instruments Prophet X"
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Banks prefixed with “U” are user overwritable banks. Banks prefixed with “F” are factory and cannot be overwritten. I think if you try to write a patch you started in an F bank, it will offer to save the patch in the corresponding U bank for you. So if you start with F3 P32 and try to save it, it will offer U3 P32 as the default save location.
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

Anyone else have the problem where you set all osc's to 0db and still get sound?
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else have the problem where you set all osc's to 0db and still get sound?
Are you sure there aren't modulations applied which boost the level of one or more oscillators or instruments?
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Are you sure there aren't modulations applied which boost the level of one or more oscillators or instruments?
I checked all of the LFO's and couldn't find anything.

Also 5 mins ago while playing with the filter, the filter didn't respond when turning the sustain knob on the envelope, and then suddenly it responded, and 1 second later my adapter to my MacBook Pro just stopped working, to which my sound card is connected.

Its the third time this has happened, something doesn't work on the PX and then my adapter stops working, need to restart macbook and its all fine again, till next time.

Im really hoping its some sort of user error but I'm starting to get worried

Edit: the filter didn't work bc I set the attack of the envelope too far..............
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I checked all of the LFO's and couldn't find anything.
It’s worth bringing up the modulation list and checking everything. I’ve never seen the problem you describe - only unexpected interactions due to modulation.

Another approach: if you start with an initialized patch and turn down everything in the mixer, do you hear anything? If not, then the hardware is functioning normally and it’s something about the specific patch you were working on.

If other devices that are only connected by audio cables are acting oddly then there’s also the possibility that the power in your place is sketchy. Mostly thinking out loud on that front, because I can’t see how these events would be related otherwise.
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
It’s worth bringing up the modulation list and checking everything. I’ve never seen the problem you describe - only unexpected interactions due to modulation.

Another approach: if you start with an initialized patch and turn down everything in the mixer, do you hear anything? If not, then the hardware is functioning normally and it’s something about the specific patch you were working on.

If other devices that are only connected by audio cables are acting oddly then there’s also the possibility that the power in your place is sketchy. Mostly thinking out loud on that front, because I can’t see how these events would be related otherwise.
Yeah I check the LFOs every time since LFO1 seems to always be set to OSCALL FREQ which is kinda weird for me, in an init patch, but maybe I should check out the whole matrix instead, I think you're right, im missing something.

I probably just need to learn this thing, trying to make my way through the manual right now.

It is worrying that the headphone output seems busted though, everything on one side.
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is worrying that the headphone output seems busted though, everything on one side.
I would try another pair of headphones, even some earbuds with a 1/4” adapter, before reaching any conclusions. It’s unfortunate but true that some molded connectors have cases that interfere with proper insertion into some jacks.
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

its impossible to register on sequential forums, Ive tried around 30 times now, apparently im blind cus I can't fkin tell what the captcha letters are supposed to be, most annoying register I've encountered in my life.
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Addict

Send us a note at [email protected] along with the email you used to register. We can activate your account.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
its impossible to register on sequential forums, Ive tried around 30 times now, apparently im blind cus I can't fkin tell what the captcha letters are supposed to be, most annoying register I've encountered in my life.
+1 x 2

I think it took me literally 60 times! x 10

Almost gave up several times.

Just to download the OB-6 firmware beta that was quite buggy as far as recording sequences.

I need to circle back and spend more time with it though. Been digging into the P6+6 again.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Check the aux envelopes and see if they’re modulating instrument or oscillator mix. That happened to me several times.

Quote:
Yeah I check the LFOs every time since LFO1 seems to always be set to OSCALL FREQ which is kinda weird for me, in an init patch, but maybe I should check out the whole matrix instead, I think you're right, im missing something.

I probably just need to learn this thing, trying to make my way through the manual right now.

Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

How many presets can the user save?
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
How many presets can the user save?
You can save to 512 as four banks of 128 presets each, which is enough that I would love to see some sort of categorization / tagging system. Those are in addition to the 512 factory presets, and reserved room for another 512 third-party add-on presets.

It’s also worth noting that presets which don’t have split or stacked enabled still have “A” and “B” layers, of which only the “A” layer sounds by default. Your own presets can actually have two completely unrelated configurations, so you could actually tuck 1024 distinct sounds into those 512 user presets. Many of the factory presets have variations stored in this manner, which wasn’t obvious to me when I first auditioned them over the course of a few days. I still haven’t gone back through all of them...
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can save to 512 as four banks of 128 presets each, which is enough that I would love to see some sort of categorization / tagging system. Those are in addition to the 512 factory presets, and reserved room for another 512 third-party add-on presets.

It’s also worth noting that presets which don’t have split or layered enabled still have “A” and “B” layers, of which only the “A” layer sounds by default. Your own presets can actually have two completely unrelated configurations, so you could actually tuck 1024 distinct sounds into those 512 user presets. Many of the factory presets have variations stored in this manner, which wasn’t obvious to me when I first auditioned them over the course of a few days. I still haven’t gone back through all of them...
Thanks for the informative answer!

So there is no sort of categorization at all? Like favorites or stars?
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So there is no sort of categorization at all? Like favorites or stars?
You can create “Play Lists”, which are pointers to presets, much like the favorites lists on some other synthesizers. It’s a fine way to organize for live performance or keep a set of sounds in active use for a project handy, but it’s not the most elaborate organization system I’ve seen for browsing.

I haven’t downloaded the Soundtower editor, but I know it supports some form of categorization. That might be the way to go, but I’ve had mixed experiences with their editors in the past.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can create “Play Lists”, which are pointers to presets, much like the favorites lists on some other synthesizers. It’s a fine way to organize for live performance or keep a set of sounds in active use for a project handy, but it’s not the most elaborate organization system I’ve seen for browsing.
Thanks!

That sounds decent enough for organizing projects... do you know how many play lists one can create?
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds decent enough for organizing projects... do you know how many play lists one can create?
I had to go turn it on to double-check - it’s four lists organized into ten sets apiece, each offering four presets with a single button press. So 160 slots in total.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had to go turn it on to double-check - it’s four lists organized into ten sets apiece, each offering four presets with a single button press. So 160 slots in total.
That sounds a bit less useful than I imagined.

Thanks for the replies
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds a bit less useful than I imagined.

Thanks for the replies
Get soundtower if you don't mind using a computer
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Get soundtower if you don't mind using a computer
Thanks!

That is a practical suggestion... however, one of the reasons I want to purchase a couple hardware synths is to not use the computer. I'd rather make do with whatever functionality is there.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, I still dont agree with the lock of half the presets.

Talking of soundtower, has anyone else had great success in crashing the X when fully randomising a preset? I do it all the time and have to back down on the parameters that get randomised, then its ok.
Old 13th October 2018
Gear Nut

Great Price on the PX

I saved a lot of money on the purchase of my Prophet X. I have looked at all of the latest Moog One videos and it is an impressive machine. Had it been released before the PX, I may have been looking to get the 16 voice unit. Ouch, $8K!

Purchasing the Prophet X, I saved roughly $4,000 and it weighs 21 pounds less then the new Moog One. The Moog One is packed with many features common to VA synths and workstations, many of which I would not know how to use.

I do not feel that I have a lesser machine with the Prophet X regardless of features. I have money left over and I can lift and carry the 24 lb. PX anywhere I would want to go! I could spend my savings on another major keyboard or synth but for now, the Prophet X with my other studio equipment is enough for me!

The PX is more synth then I have ever had and I am enjoying getting to know it.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That happened to me also last year! I HATE HATE HATE those captcha things!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search