The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Prophet X
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

This person is making some interesting sounds ...

Last edited by drxcm; 3rd September 2018 at 09:46 PM..
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
This person is making some interesting sounds ...

cool sounds

probably hard to fit in a mix though
Old 6th September 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

I had planned to hold out until the sample import software was released, but I decided (or the various demos, relatively innocuous bug reports, and great customer support convinced me, I should say) that I'd pretty much buy it even without sample import capability. So I went ahead and took the plunge!

It's set to arrive on Monday, but it'll be fighting with my n'used Korg Kronos classic (replacing my M3) and Nord Stage 88 classic (bought primarily for my 14yo (who's taking piano in high school); that is, when she can wrest it away from me haha), the boxes piled into my garage and strewn around my house (just bought and moved!!! - by the way, my wife decided I could have the smaller of the two unfinished storage rooms ), and of course my family, for my attention in the near future. I imagine the Prophet will win that battle early and often haha... Of course that's what imaginations are for, right?

Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
by the way, my wife decided I could have the smaller of the two unfinished storage rooms
Lol, The great ongoing battle (and price paid) for storage and floorspace.

We've all been there bro
Old 6th September 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post

We've all been there bro
Yeah tell me about it. Eventually I'll have a finished room. I plan to section off the larger storage room and build a finished room in there, which is perfect (aside from the absence of sunlight ) because I can sheetblok the walls (probably won't float the floor) for some additional acoustic isolation. But that has to wait, so for now I've got a prime view of our new tankless water heater and HVAC unit...
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post

We've all been there bro
Ms Manalishi thinks guitars are sort of pretty, but synths are ugly. I've got about 3 square meters here and had to go and buy a business unit to get some decent studio space. :(
Old 11th September 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

So I got to spend all of 30 minutes with it last night; and it was nothing more substantive than some preset surfing and unguided knob twiddling. I usually like to take my time feeling my way around a synth (helps me keep the focus on what 'I' can do with this synth rather than what 'this synth' can do), as opposed to mastering it quickly, so because of that and because of my schedule, it'll be a while before I have much substance to add to this thread. In the meantime, of the first 35 or so presets, there were a couple I'd use as is, and I was able to rather quickly turn another couple-three of them into something I'd use. Great signs. What was not so great (aside from the clicking thing that's been noted here) is that most of the rest of those 35 presets seemed rather showy; I knew that going in though.

Anyway, the build quality and UI seem excellent (wouldn't mind bigger text on certain display pages), the keys are so-so (TP/8S please Dave?), and the sound is just magical. That's all I got for now. Cheers!
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

I also took the chance to buy one at a special nice price, should be here the next 2 days.

I tested it 2x at a music shop before and like a LOT what you can do intuitively, without brain detours. Sound is big, coherent, pleasently un-shrill. Not the chunky tone weight of an EII or EIII but fat enough and look what you can do with it...

speaking of which:

this here on emusician must be the best tutorial so far on the PROPHET X:
Master Class: Dave Smith Instruments Prophet X - EMusician

if you got more tipps and tricks let us know

maybe, if you only buy ONE synth, this might be it, as you can do so much with it, from drums to orchestral, from analog to digicraze, from vintage to tomorrow, from conservative to far far out. In fact, it could replace a lot of what i got left here...
Old 16th September 2018
I'm curious about this synth, specifically in applications for granular synthesis.
Can anyone here post some granular synth patches? I've seen the previous one on page 22 of this thread, it didnt convince me that Curtis Roads would be happy with the instrument.
If this can do granular, I'm sold. Convince me!
Cheers.
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
I'm curious about this synth, specifically in applications for granular synthesis.
The Prophet X doesn’t claim to be a granular synth. You could probably come up with some approximation using mono unison mode and a bunch of cross fading loops, but if it’s granular you’re focused on then the Waldorf Quantum, specialized Eurorack modules, or software synthesizers are probably a better fit.
Old 17th September 2018
Thanks Lady.
I was hoping that the sample handling would allow for micro loops in the 5ms range; if it can do that, I would consider it granular capable.
I'm loving the other sounds this beautiful synth is making and am a happy owner of a Prophet 12. The Sequential architecture is great.
I am interested in the Quantum, but up here in Canada I'd be looking on spending over $7300 after tax (13%). The X would be over $5600 which is still pretty crazy expensive.
I'd be willing to spend that amount if it checks off all the boxes...

Cheers.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was hoping that the sample handling would allow for micro loops in the 5ms range; if it can do that, I would consider it granular capable.
Not everyone would, so I wanted to make sure you knew the limitations. Most systems promoting themselves as granular play multiple granules per voice, where the Prophet X uses more conventional looped samples. One per “instrument” of which there are two per voice.

As originally conceived, my understanding is that granular synthesis was intended to consist of hundreds of simultaneous granules, but most systems only play a handful (eight per oscillator on the Quantum, for instance, with up to three oscillators per voice.) Even so, the effect is quite distinct from a conventional looped sample, even with a short and modulatable loop location.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Lady.
I'm loving the other sounds this beautiful synth is making and am a happy owner of a Prophet 12. The Sequential architecture is great.
I am interested in the Quantum, but up here in Canada I'd be looking on spending over $7300 after tax (13%). The X would be over $5600 which is still pretty crazy expensive.
I'd be willing to spend that amount if it checks off all the boxes...

Cheers.
Short reply: yes you can zoom deep in on the waveforms and set granular loops, you can also modulate these, eg by having lfos or whatever move start/end/centre points. Its in the manual too, page 108
Old 17th September 2018
Thank you forbidden and lady!
So, to clarify:
-The X can set a loop length as mod destination.
-Loop length can get down to the granular level: 5ms-ish
- Loop start point can be set as a mod destination.
- All mod destinations can be cranked up to audio rate?

Once this instrument is able to load personal samples, I am in!
A shame that Dave didnt include an audio input.

It looks like Sequencial have found a way to take some more of my money.
Cheers.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you forbidden and lady!
So, to clarify:
-The X can set a loop length as mod destination.
-Loop length can get down to the granular level: 5ms-ish
- Loop start point can be set as a mod destination.
- All mod destinations can be cranked up to audio rate?

Once this instrument is able to load personal samples, I am in!
A shame that Dave didnt include an audio input.

It looks like Sequencial have found a way to take some more of my money.
Cheers.
you said that granular ability is what makes you buy the X (or not),
but this synth is so versatile one should get it granular on board or not.

(but i wouldn't be angry if SEQUENTIAL updates the OS, i think this section can be made even more creative,
more advanced looping, time stretching. plus more waveforms for the digital oscillators and a seperate noise would be welcomed)

Last edited by TonStrom; 18th September 2018 at 01:05 AM..
Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
you said that granular ability is what makes you buy the X (or not),
but this synth is so versatile one should get it granular on board or not.

(but i wouldn't be angry if SEQUENTIAL updates the OS, i think this section can be made even more creative,
more advanced looping, time stretching. plus more waveforms for the digital oscillators and a seperate noise would be welcomed)
I have had so much fun with the sampled noise linrary that I don’t see the need for separate noise in addition, I think that was the idea.
Old 18th September 2018
It's not only the granular abilities that make the synth desirable to me. If that were all I wanted, I'd go the tasty chips GR1 route.
It's the possible depth available for creative synthesis that makes it desirable.
I'm asking you guys because it's hard to understand the design's intention and limitation without hours of bonding with the machine. This synth ticks a lot of boxes for me.
Cheers.
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Sometimes I turn this thing on, like last night, dial up a preset start tweaking it and can't believe how amazing that stereo filter sounds. Then I go into 16 voice mode, play for a few seconds and go back and it's unreal the space and sonic signature those stereo filters give to sounds. So utterly satisfying.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Nut

I have not had the time to comb through 128 pages of posts so don't get mad if I ask questions already asked.

I picked up the Prophet X last Saturday. Very fun synth to play but with in minutes I noticed a lot of clicking and noise in the presets, almost like clipping/snappy envelopes, gain staging issue maybe. A similar thing happens when engaging either of the FX. Adding a reverb (most FX) onto any kind of sound pretty much cuts/clips the sound. Do I have a faulty unit? Anyone else have the issue?
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Addict

The clicks you noted on patch #2 of the factory banks was identified as a bug. We've already fixed it in an internally released OS version. We should have a BETA OS release available in the very near future with a fix.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
The clicks you noted on patch #2 of the factory banks was identified as a bug. We've already fixed it in an internally released OS version. We should have a BETA OS release available in the very near future with a fix.
In the A banks loading a random sample (piano as example) clicking is randomly audible. I've tried it on both instruments 1/2 and Osc 1/2 and it's the same thing.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Addict

I can't speak to your exact situation without further information and I understand you are currently in contact with my coworker. To note, clicks can occur in various situations but usually arise from voice stealing.

Please follow up with us in support so we can determine the cause of what you are hearing.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I can't speak to your exact situation without further information and I understand you are currently in contact with my coworker. To note, clicks can occur in various situations but usually arise from voice stealing.

Please follow up with us in support so we can determine the cause of what you are hearing.
Thanks I will contact support hopefully this week if schedule allows.

Not sure what you meant by saying that I am in contact with your coworker.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

Sorry, must have mistaken you with another customer!
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

Prophet X BETA OS 1.2.1 available at the following link to the Sequential web forum:

Newest Prophet X BETA OS - v1.2.1.0.0
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

Oooh! I look forward to taking it for a spin once my studio space returns to normal following a new carpet installation tomorrow. Glad to see the slate of bug fixes, but no sign of the new modulation targets that have been discussed?
Old 26th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Prophet X BETA OS 1.2.1 available at the following link to the Sequential web forum:

Newest Prophet X BETA OS - v1.2.1.0.0
Heads up: I followed the instructions to update to this OS (which I had done before successfully) and it made my unit unresponsive. Just sent the full case over to DSI support, but might be worth holding off on an update for now.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

the technology of 8Dio

Hi,

About the function for sample, is the technology of 8Dio used?

Can 8 dio recording technology be used when handling original samples of users?

Old 26th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboree View Post
Heads up: I followed the instructions to update to this OS (which I had done before successfully) and it made my unit unresponsive. Just sent the full case over to DSI support, but might be worth holding off on an update for now.
Sorry to hear that! Not to worry, we'll get back to you and get your PX back up and running.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboree View Post
For what it's worth my update went quick and flawlessly, but I am sure DSI will get you back up and running soon.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search