The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Strymon BigSky or Ventris Dual Reverb Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Strymon BigSky or Ventris Dual Reverb

I have heard from most people that the Ventris Dual Reverb is superior and has better emulations of classic reverbs and more pleasing tone....but I couldn't find much talk on the extreme capability comparison s of both. I want extreme out there outerspace/mind altering reverb thats great for ambient music or sounds. Which of the two pedals excedes in this area? For synth use.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
I have heard from most people that the Ventris Dual Reverb is superior and has better emulations of classic reverbs and more pleasing tone....but I couldn't find much talk on the extreme capability comparison s of both. I want extreme out there outerspace/mind altering reverb thats great for ambient music or sounds. Which of the two pedals excedes in this area? For synth use.
Eventide Space is then a better option, the algorythms as Blackhole, Mangledverb, Dynaverb, Tremoloverb and Modechoverb are quite unique a very good for "out of this worold" effects.

The strymon is very good for classic reverbs and has two unique algos but it doesn't get as weird the the eventide.

ALso check the Roland RV500, it has a Space echo mode and you can get delay with all the reverb algos too.

If you want a wider selection of effects then check the eventide h9 max, you get all the reverb algorithms, plus the delays, plus pitch shifting and then some extra ones.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

If I were in the market for a reverb pedal now, I'd definitely consider the Boss RV-500 as well. It has a dual engine, like the Ventris, but adds a delay to each reverb and costs less and has a much more extensive on board user interface (not dependent on a computer for deep editing).
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

My biggest requirements from any pedal is that they have true bypass and a line level input.

I saw the Ventris on Sonicstate and it does sound good. But I am not sure if it has both line level inputs and true bypass. The Big Sky is known for it's extreme reverbs and I think it does what you want I also think it has line level inputs and true bypass. The Eventide Space is also a pedal which I know checks all 4 boxes mentioned above.

I guess it really depends on what you think sounds the best and fits the best for you needs. Honestly I cannot see spending over $300 for a reverb pedal that does not do delay as well.

The Boss RV-500 may have true bypass and line levels but I am not sure. There traditional pedals do not.

I am not trying to beat a dead horse with this true bypass/ line level requirement. But for me gear must double duty for live performance. And this is why my eye is on the Line 6 HX or the TC.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Neunaber Immerse

Quite possibly best sounding reverb pedal around

If you want more options on the same pedal, Specular Reverb V3

Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
My biggest requirements from any pedal is that they have true bypass and a line level input.
The Ventris, BigSky and RV-500 all have selectable true bypass (relay) or buffered bypass and +8dBu line level capable IO.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Eventide Space is then a better option, the algorythms as Blackhole, Mangledverb, Dynaverb, Tremoloverb and Modechoverb are quite unique a very good for "out of this worold" effects.

The strymon is very good for classic reverbs and has two unique algos but it doesn't get as weird the the eventide.

ALso check the Roland RV500, it has a Space echo mode and you can get delay with all the reverb algos too.

If you want a wider selection of effects then check the eventide h9 max, you get all the reverb algorithms, plus the delays, plus pitch shifting and then some extra ones.

When I get home from work I will check out synth demos of these pedals. I am also out there for unique reverb. Ones that completely change a sound. I saw a cheap 80s Casio home keyboard played through a Strymon BigSky on the Shimmer and Cloud settings and it was godly.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

these mother F**kers charge 300 and more and cannot supply a ten quid psu

i know we can all use our own and / or buy one but come on

i requested info about the possibility of line inputs on the specular - no synth demos online that i can see, no info came up about

the only KBD demo found of the immerse was bloody awful, so much noise
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I get home from work I will check out synth demos of these pedals. I am also out there for unique reverb. Ones that completely change a sound. I saw a cheap 80s Casio home keyboard played through a Strymon BigSky on the Shimmer and Cloud settings and it was godly.
true, these reverbs will make a fart sound like a soundscape, ask yourself though is it aural masturabation that you want because that is what it is, i shut off when i hear these things mostly? if it is plainly for jamming yeah, hell yeah, for a track meh

i may be likely be a minority though, wouldn't be the first time
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Peter Dyer demo of running various keyboards through a BigSky is what sold me. Yes... you can play fart sounds through it, and they sound heavenly. I have mine on an effects loop from my mixer.

YouTube
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
If I were in the market for a reverb pedal now, I'd definitely consider the Boss RV-500 as well. It has a dual engine, like the Ventris, but adds a delay to each reverb and costs less and has a much more extensive on board user interface (not dependent on a computer for deep editing).
I haven't used the Strymon, Ventris, or Neunaber, but I really like my RV-500. I first bought it for my guitar rig, but I wound up buying a second just to use with my synth setup.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

specular is fine with line inputs for what it's worth people , Henry @ GFI replied to my query
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

if you want out of this world reverbs, eventide space.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Ok so out of the Space,BigSky,RV-500,and Dual Reverb which one(s) let you edit all parameters from the device itself without the need of an editor?
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok so out of the Space,BigSky,RV-500,and Dual Reverb which one(s) let you edit all parameters from the device itself without the need of an editor?
Space, BigSky and RV-500.

The Dual Reverb lets you get quite deep with the editor and librarian app which can be found here.

The Eventide "Factor" pedals (I'm assuming this includes the Space) has a library app, although not supported for many years. More info here.

The BigSky and the other Strymon "big" pedals have a common editor and librarian app that you can find here.

The RV-500 and the other Boss 500 series pedals have an editor and librarian app. The RV-500 version can be found here.

For electronic/MIDI studios, here are some factors worth observing in addition to flavour of algorithms and sound for the pedals mentioned in this thread:

Dual Reverb: true and buffered bypass, +8dBu levels, dual engines, 128 presets (by MIDI, 8 on the box), MIDI, USB, exp pedal
BigSky: true and buffered bypass, +8dBu levels, 300 presets, MIDI, exp pedal
RV-500: true and buffered bypass, +8dBu levels, dual engines, 100/200 presets, MIDI, USB, exp pedal
Space: true and AD/DA buffered bypass, +13dBu levels, 100 presets, MIDI, USB, exp pedal
Immerse: buffered bypass, +8dBu levels
Specular: buffered bypass, line levels, 8 presets, exp pedal
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Space, BigSky and RV-500.

The Dual Reverb lets you get quite deep with the editor and librarian app which can be found here.

The Eventide "Factor" pedals (I'm assuming this includes the Space) has a library app, although not supported for many years. More info here.

The BigSky and the other Strymon "big" pedals have a common editor and librarian app that you can find here.

The RV-500 and the other Boss 500 series pedals have an editor and librarian app. The RV-500 version can be found here.

For electronic/MIDI studios, here are some factors worth observing in addition to flavour of algorithms and sound for the pedals mentioned in this thread:

Dual Reverb: true and buffered bypass, +8dBu levels, dual engines, 128 presets (by MIDI, 8 on the box), MIDI, USB, exp pedal
BigSky: true and buffered bypass, +8dBu levels, 300 presets, MIDI, exp pedal
RV-500: true and buffered bypass, +8dBu levels, dual engines, 100/200 presets, MIDI, USB, exp pedal
Space: true and AD/DA buffered bypass, +13dBu levels, 100 presets, MIDI, USB, exp pedal
Immerse: buffered bypass, +8dBu levels
Specular: buffered bypass, line levels, 8 presets, exp pedal
They all sound great, I guess it will come down to the one I can do it all from the device itself without an editor. So I can do that with all besides the Ventris?

If so I guess I will go with the BOSS because of the price point. I really do like the strymon though...but man its a lot
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

You can find Eventide Space for good prices second hand too.
Old 26th April 2018
This market has been flooded in the past year. Space and Big Sky are no longer all alone. Ventris sounds great. Boss RV-500 sounds great. Specular Tempus sounds great. Just an opinion, and I haven’t tried one yet...but will soon, the best sounding to me is the Empress Reverb.

Just below these guys in terms of cost is the Mooer Ocean Machine, but still a huge pedal. Very ambient guitar or great for complex sound design.

Then below that you have Nuenaber Immerse and the MXR M300...which are seriously impressive at $200 with several algorithms, simple controls, just lacking the complexity of the above units and things like MIDI, but still sound great. Even the Boss RV-6 sounds really nice. The MXR require a Y-splitter for stereo is all. Don’t sleep on the EHX Cathedral either. Nothing fancy about it, but it sounds damn good on synths, and has more of a gritty sound to it.....and that ininite tail button is cool. Also can he had for about $150 used, stereo I/O

Probably can’t go wrong with any of these. Personally, I think Strymon and Eventide have been caught up to, and I would no longer pay nearly $500 for their sound. I think the Empress sounds a little better, and the rest are less money, and can sound just as breathtaking.

There are tons of comparisons on youtube, albeit most with guitar, but you can still easily hear the differences in the reverbs.

I would go either Neunaber Immerse or MXR M300 for the around $200 cost......Empress Reverb or Boss RV-500 for the big box reverbs. I will probably do just this getting one of each as I’m selling off some other stuff still. In the process of selling synths, and adding more FX.

All just opinion. You know what sounds good to you, but you should check out the others too. I’ve never preferred the way Strymon stuff sounds. I know I’m in the minority, but it all just sounds......Strymon-ish, very pristine and polished. I think their stuff is great, top quality, but I just prefer the sound of some others that typically cost a tad less also.

Also, there are some really great reverbs with less features to check out that still maintain stereo output. Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run has a delay with three types of reverb:

Walrus Audio Descent adds an octave function, also with three reverb algortihms:

There is something to be said for a great sounding reverb or delay pedal that doesn’t have a screen and doesn’t require a computer or phone to access all features.

Long post....sorry, I could talk about this all day.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They all sound great, I guess it will come down to the one I can do it all from the device itself without an editor. So I can do that with all besides the Ventris?

If so I guess I will go with the BOSS because of the price point. I really do like the strymon though...but man its a lot
Yes, for the Ventris you need to run the app to get full access to all parameters. You could use the app to make some template presets that exposes different parameters (2 of them per patch) for different algorithms. Just beware that when not connected to USB/MIDI, you're limited to accessing 8 presets and there's no display to tell you what the exposed parameters are. If you do accept those limitations, it's certainly a contender for good sound and algorithms.

My own criteria for "big" pedals, to be used in a electronic/MIDI setup, apart from sound and algorithms, are: full editing on the pedal, lots of named presets selectable on the pedal (requires a display), MIDI and line levels. Those features are matters of course nowadays when you pay several hundred dollars IMO. Any additions to that is a bonus.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

good info gentlemen
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
This market has been flooded in the past year. Space and Big Sky are no longer all alone. Ventris sounds great. Boss RV-500 sounds great. Specular Tempus sounds great. Just an opinion, and I haven’t tried one yet...but will soon, the best sounding to me is the Empress Reverb.

Just below these guys in terms of cost is the Mooer Ocean Machine, but still a huge pedal. Very ambient guitar or great for complex sound design.

Then below that you have Nuenaber Immerse and the MXR M300...which are seriously impressive at $200 with several algorithms, simple controls, just lacking the complexity of the above units and things like MIDI, but still sound great. Even the Boss RV-6 sounds really nice. The MXR require a Y-splitter for stereo is all. Don’t sleep on the EHX Cathedral either. Nothing fancy about it, but it sounds damn good on synths, and has more of a gritty sound to it.....and that ininite tail button is cool. Also can he had for about $150 used, stereo I/O

Probably can’t go wrong with any of these. Personally, I think Strymon and Eventide have been caught up to, and I would no longer pay nearly $500 for their sound. I think the Empress sounds a little better, and the rest are less money, and can sound just as breathtaking.

There are tons of comparisons on youtube, albeit most with guitar, but you can still easily hear the differences in the reverbs.

I would go either Neunaber Immerse or MXR M300 for the around $200 cost......Empress Reverb or Boss RV-500 for the big box reverbs. I will probably do just this getting one of each as I’m selling off some other stuff still. In the process of selling synths, and adding more FX.

All just opinion. You know what sounds good to you, but you should check out the others too. I’ve never preferred the way Strymon stuff sounds. I know I’m in the minority, but it all just sounds......Strymon-ish, very pristine and polished. I think their stuff is great, top quality, but I just prefer the sound of some others that typically cost a tad less also.

Also, there are some really great reverbs with less features to check out that still maintain stereo output. Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run has a delay with three types of reverb:

Walrus Audio Descent adds an octave function, also with three reverb algortihms:

There is something to be said for a great sounding reverb or delay pedal that doesn’t have a screen and doesn’t require a computer or phone to access all features.

Long post....sorry, I could talk about this all day.

No, great post man. I'll check these out.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just to throw another issue in here: what if I want it in a rack format?

All of these are now stompbox format (biiger market, I suppose). The rack brethren are way more upmarket/spendy. I'd love the Space in rackmount format.
Old 27th April 2018
I just got a space reverb. It sounds good, but too much crap in it IMO. I have enough stuff to learn with all the existing crap I own. I'm thinking of returning it and getting the Ventris.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Nut

Another simpler but great sounding option is the Meris Mercury 7. Mercury7 Reverb | Meris
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Just to throw another issue in here: what if I want it in a rack format?

All of these are now stompbox format (biiger market, I suppose). The rack brethren are way more upmarket/spendy. I'd love the Space in rackmount format.
Definitely a hole in the market, but I'm not sure if it's big enough to get filled. If I was using a rack I'd probably buy one of the big pedals and a rack shelf.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_rock View Post
I just got a space reverb. It sounds good, but too much crap in it IMO. I have enough stuff to learn with all the existing crap I own. I'm thinking of returning it and getting the Ventris.
what do you mean? doesn‘t the ventris have the same amount of „crap“ that you just can’t access without a computer?
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Nothing is grabbing me like the BigSky. I guess the brightness it adds and the styles I am liking best with it. Maybe the other pedals need better synth demos.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

I may just go with something sub $100 used until I make up my mind on something better. I have really liked what I have heard with the DigiTech Polara. I can pick one of those up used for under $100 bucks. Still think I will test out a few reverb pedals at a local guitar shop to see in person what I like.
Old 27th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
what do you mean? doesn‘t the ventris have the same amount of „crap“ that you just can’t access without a computer?
I just mean the ventris is just knobs, no menus and all that.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_rock View Post
I just mean the ventris is just knobs, no menus and all that.
The ventris has lots of hidden setting not accesible from the front panel and more button combinations than the space.

The space for me would be the better UI between both.

But if you don't want menus and hidden functions then get the Empress Reverb.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search