The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland D-05 program changes solved
Old 25th April 2018
Here for the gear

Roland D-05 program changes solved

This is something that took me some time to resolve, so I thought it might be of use to others in case they were in the same situation.

Firstly it appears that some of the older series boutiques do not forward Bank messages via midi thru. I had my D-05 at the end of the chain, and I found that both the TR-09 and the TB-03 did not forward bank change messages - but the SH-01a did.

Once the D-05 was first in the chain then bank change messages were transmitted.

Second thing, you need to transmit a bank change message (most significant byte) of 87, followed by the bank number (least significant byte), then the program change message. All the online forums will tell you this number has to be 87 - however if you are using Ableton Live everything is offset by 1. In that case you have to transmit 88.

I have included some screenshots for both Logic and Ableton. I've also included a list of the messages you need to send for the various banks.

Using this I'm able to change patches per MIDI clip in Ableton now. Finally!
Hope this may help some others if you are struggling!
Attached Thumbnails
Roland D-05 program changes solved-d05-3.jpg   Roland D-05 program changes solved-d05-2.png   Roland D-05 program changes solved-d05-1.png  
Old 21st June 2018
Here for the gear

I've been trying to get ableton to send a program change message to the d-05 since the weekend... I didn't know about the offset, so you've got me one step closer. Still no luck though.

Does the offset apply to all 3 fields (bank, sub and program)? I've tried it both ways. I'm probably missing a d-05 midi setting.
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
This is something that took me some time to resolve, so I thought it might be of use to others in case they were in the same situation.

Using this I'm able to change patches per MIDI clip in Ableton now. Finally!
Hope this may help some others if you are struggling!
Thank you so very much for sharing this!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search