The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Talk me out of buying an OB-6 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th May 2018
Deleted User
I can actually buy an OB-6 in Canada.
The Kamino Klone Korp has to variously reason,
whether caused by them or external set Q3 for the Kaminogoom
to be available in Canada....
that is hardly "customer service"

(cool I got to act like an impudent child)
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

As a true gearslut, I will never talk you out of gear, marriage possibly , gear never.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
As a true gearslut, I will never talk you out of gear, marriage possibly , gear never.
For many the cost of marriage is measured in gear.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
HAHA! Right on lol
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
, the main reason being that the desktop wont fit in a rack.
You see I haven't any space left for keyboards so racks are my only option.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with! BTW, the OB-6 is the kind of synth you want it's controls right in front of you when playing it... any external controller is not going to compete with having the OB-6 controls/layout and control resolution of the synth itself...nor will it be as intuitive or nearly as awesome compared to the real thing. Real-time tweaks are part of the experience and performance aspect of it. I can't imagine not having the OB-6 module close to the keys when playing it.
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I guess OB-6 would be at least as capable of getting a good bass as any other poly synth, but if you compare it to some monos, it and other polys might seem a bit thin.
I have a moog voyager, and a vermona perfourmer along with the OB6 and i can say they are all good and the OB6 can really make some wicked bass sounds as well, - i think it comes down to your preference and mostly who's turning the knobs...
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
I have a moog voyager, and a vermona perfourmer along with the OB6 and i can say they are all good and the OB6 can really make some wicked bass sounds as well, - i think it comes down to your preference and mostly who's turning the knobs...
I need bass that is in the A1 55Hz till A2 110Hz range. If some one can convince me with a nice bass sound from the OB 6 in that range I will be very surprised.

The Prophet 6 is in my opinion not capable. Were a Pro-One or software like Diva is without a problem.
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Maniac
1. Talent and/or willingness to work hard at your music are worth infinitely more than high-end gear

2. I have neither. Selling my sub-£1k synths and buying a Prophet 6 was the best thing I ever did for my music!!
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I have OB-6 Module.
This is a weaks list:
- No DAW plugin, should by separatelly (and its clumsy)
- Not multitembral
- No automation by touching knobs, only via CC which you have to print on the sheet of paper.
- Analog outs are quiet, i have to make +12db on my Antelope interface wich is not good.
- IMHO, i dont respect manufacturers who in 21st sentury dont make usb audio (as second option), Daw integration plugin with automatic pach saving within DAW project (like virus Ti for example). To Rely on midi din and cropped CC is a shame, especially when your gear is above 1000$.
Old 20th June 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasfera View Post
- IMHO, i dont respect manufacturers who in 21st sentury dont make usb audio (as second option)
And I am glad that they didn't do it, so that I can use the best signal path to record, since there is NO TIME SAVING including the audio interface, as the sound must be created realtime.
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
No... Buying a prophet 6 was the best thing music wise I have ever done... My around a thousand dollar synths are great! They really are! They can do a few things amazing, but the amount of really beautiful sounds the prophet can make have been inspiring to me.. Just a different level of truly beautiful sounding oscillators. I think it hurts bad but you will never regret it, nomattor how much it hurts financially initially.
Yeah but OB-6 is no prophet 6, many seem to think they are almost interchangeable sound quality wise, I found the OB-6 to be a step down from the Prophet 6's core ability, depth, weight, warmth and overall tone.

That's not to say OB-6 is crap, it's easily one of the best analogs out there, one of VERY few that are actually any good these days vs the old ones.

But.. simply the Prophet 6 is better, unless you just have a penchant for that specific OB-6 fizzy, lightweight, grating character.

to OP > Talk you out of an OB-6?

Easy, it's not a Prophet 6 so why buy it? (unless to accompany a Prophet 6.. Prophet 5 or some vintage synth).
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
And I am glad that they didn't do it, so that I can use the best signal path to record, since there is NO TIME SAVING including the audio interface, as the sound must be created realtime.
Agreed

who the phuq wants to record $3000 synths through ****ty USB audio? My prophet 6 will go through my Rupert Neve portico II Channel, into Prism titan converters into PT.

To put it through USB audio,... well you may as well have bought a Korg Prologue or something
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Head

on that note, I've been mainly sending my OB-6 Desktop through TG-2 preamps and definitely recommend them as a pairing!
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Agreed

who the phuq wants to record $3000 synths through ****ty USB audio? My prophet 6 will go through my Rupert Neve portico II Channel, into Prism titan converters into PT.

To put it through USB audio,... well you may as well have bought a Korg Prologue or something
I have espesially emphasized usb audio as SECOND option.
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have OB-6 Module.

- Analog outs are quiet, i have to make +12db on my Antelope interface wich is not good.
-
Gonna have to disagree, the analog outs are NOT quiet....MKS-70 and Minilogue are quiet....the OB6 is quite normal output levels.....also, don't agree about USB audio...don't think vast majority of users would like the extra conversion.
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
- No automation by touching knobs, only via CC which you have to print on the sheet of paper.
Did not know that.
Explains why I could not record any knob movements, I thought I had some midi/cc settings wrong.
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I still did not found information regarding possibility to run different sounds of OB-6 on different midi channels simultaneousely.
Looks like i have bought a synth with 1 midi channel actually.
Tech support of SoundTower (a company where Dave Smith send you to buy a DAW plugin for 69$) could not help me with this topic.
Plugin is clumsy-working but whatever settings i try i get same sound playing on all 16 channels. Damn.
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still did not found information regarding possibility to run different sounds of OB-6 on different midi channels simultaneousely.
Looks like i have bought a synth with 1 midi channel actually.
Tech support of SoundTower (a company where Dave Smith send you to buy a DAW plugin for 69$) could not help me with this topic.
Plugin is clumsy-working but whatever settings i try i get same sound playing on all 16 channels. Damn.
It's not multi-timbral, so it can only produce one sound / patch at a time regardless of using software to edit or not.
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Is it not a joke?!)
Why does it have 16 midi channels?
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

I'm late to the thread. However, in response to the OP's title-question.

No.

Nobody needs to be talked out of buying an OB-6. Talked into buying more synths on top of it? Maybe.
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it not a joke?!)
no it has the ability to function on any one of 16 channels, or all of them.
this is so you can chain many midi devices off a single port.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it not a joke?!)

So you can assign it to the Midi channel of your choosing.

Did you think this was a Multi-timbral Workstation or something ?

Lawd have mercy
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it not a joke?!)
For clarity:

Multi-Timbral means being able to sequence and program several different sounds and have them play simultaneously (the behavior you describe)

The OB-6 does not offer this function. This is very normal, very few true analogs offer this functionality. It's more common digital synths and workstations.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Every time I see this thread title I wanna scream 'NO I AM NOT TALKING YOU OUT OF BUYING THIS WONDERFUL ORGANIC SYNTH!!'
Old 22nd June 2018
Gear Maniac

My thinking path was the following:
As i have Virus Ti and i love it, i decided to buy something more expensive, more “analogish” and more modern. As Virus is 10 years old concept i thought OB-6 represents an analog cool synth packed into top-notch DAW integration. So, looks like not, 10 years Virus looks still innovative)))
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Op should by the ob6 module and desktop for some 12 voice action.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

I have the OB-6 and would buy a module in a heartbeat if polychain mode allowed for patch transfer.. My desire (and ability) to keep two synths synchronised is non-existent.

Strangely, a thread on the topic on the DSI forum, a staff member does not seem interested in the idea and states that "the only reason to buy a desktop and module is for the 12 voices"... which is so far out of touch with how people use their studios as to be funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Op should by the ob6 module and desktop for some 12 voice action.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
My thinking path was the following:
As i have Virus Ti and i love it, i decided to buy something more expensive, more “analogish” and more modern. As Virus is 10 years old concept i thought OB-6 represents an analog cool synth packed into top-notch DAW integration. So, looks like not, 10 years Virus looks still innovative)))
That’s not how this works.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Yeah but OB-6 is no prophet 6
Thank God for that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search