The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making Drums from Scratch - Questions about 909 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Making Drums from Scratch - Questions about 909

I use synths almost entirely for my music, and I'm starting to build my own drum kits with sounds from my various synths (hardware / Software). I wanted to ask, I have the bass and hats and snares all working well with noise and envelopes, but the clap ... I understand the 909 is a fully analog drum machine, what oscillators are being used to generate a 909 clap? It's not a sample chip is it? How can I emulate a clap sound from the synthesis level?

Thank you!

- G.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesdickerson View Post
I use synths almost entirely for my music, and I'm starting to build my own drum kits with sounds from my various synths (hardware / Software). I wanted to ask, I have the bass and hats and snares all working well with noise and envelopes, but the clap ... I understand the 909 is a fully analog drum machine, what oscillators are being used to generate a 909 clap? It's not a sample chip is it? How can I emulate a clap sound from the synthesis level?

Thank you!

- G.
The 909 is actually an analog/digital hybrid with special circuits generating the sounds.
You should read some internet because all this stuff is extensively documented.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The hi-hats, ride and cymbal are samples, the clap is analogue.

It's noise and snap - I can kinda do one on my 101 but it's not got complex enough controls to pull off a decent clap!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesdickerson View Post
How can I emulate a clap sound from the synthesis level?

Thank you!

- G.

White noise into bandpass filter.Then mess with filter envelope amount & decay time & add some resonance.Layer 3 synths & offset the time by a few milliseconds on the 2nd & 3rd at track level
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Guys, you can't make a 909 clap with a typical synth.
At least you will need like a 7 stage envelope or something else to generaqte the repeating pulse of semi-noise. You can fake some stuff with lfo's but it won't sound like a 909 easily.
If you want to synthesize that stuff i'd say start with getting a modular.
You're gonna need specialized envelopes, specialized noise sources, lots of stuff not easily available on most synths.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search