The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Uses for Microbrute? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Favorite Uses for Microbrute?

I had a Microbrute and sold it, but then I missed it (not sure what about it exactly), so I bought another one. Now it's there, but I don't find myself using it for much except for PWM patches as I don't have too many other analogs that do PWM. So...what are some favorite uses for it that might be inspiring?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I find it hard to answer this question except by saying "anything you need a basic, solid monosynth sound for." It does its own take on acid. It has a rich tone with a somewhat unique edge. It can be aggressive but isn't necessarily. Fine for bread and butter leads and arpeggiated lines. It can be used to make percussive lines and drum sounds. The world is your oyster, and this synth is as capable as any other basic monosynth.

If you find yourself confused about its use, like any basic mono don't forget to add some processing, or even mess around with techniques like reamping.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use it as a utility module half the time.

-Use the tempo synced square LFO with divisions to clock other modules/drum machines etc
-Use the gate out via the sequencer or midi to trigger other sequencers or envelopes.
-Using the envelopes..wherever an envelope is needed
-Using the Pitch CV as a spare modulation lane, either through its own sequencer or through midi.
-Use it as a filter module. Automate the filter by running its own pitch CV out to its VCF in. (Multimode is very useful).
-Use it as an external VCA / distortion unit - stutters, stabs, swells, etc.
-Use it to create samples.
-Use it as an additional drum/percussion voice in addition to main drum tracks, through its internal sequencer or through midi.

Ended up acquiring 4 of them, and now I use them in these configurations together with a larger CV system, and also play them as a polysynth. Wish they had the matrix of the new 2s, but they have been very flexible instruments, especially for their secondhand price. Hope this gives you a few ideas.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They have a unique oscillator. Not many synths have a wave folder (metalizer).

They’re also a really great USB/Midi/CV hub. For a long time I used it to control my SH-101.

I now have the MB2S so I’m retiring the old micro.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
I use it as a utility module half the time.

-Use the tempo synced square LFO with divisions to clock other modules/drum machines etc
-Use the gate out via the sequencer or midi to trigger other sequencers or envelopes.
-Using the envelopes..wherever an envelope is needed
-Using the Pitch CV as a spare modulation lane, either through its own sequencer or through midi.
-Use it as a filter module. Automate the filter by running its own pitch CV out to its VCF in. (Multimode is very useful).
-Use it as an external VCA / distortion unit - stutters, stabs, swells, etc.
-Use it to create samples.
-Use it as an additional drum/percussion voice in addition to main drum tracks, through its internal sequencer or through midi.

Ended up acquiring 4 of them, and now I use them in these configurations together with a larger CV system, and also play them as a polysynth. Wish they had the matrix of the new 2s, but they have been very flexible instruments, especially for their secondhand price. Hope this gives you a few ideas.
Thanks; this is more the direction I've been leaning. Mine's sitting next to my MS-20m (my only semi-modular), and I've been thinking about doing that kind of thing with it. I'll try some of these suggestions.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I find it hard to answer this question except by saying "anything you need a basic, solid monosynth sound for." It does its own take on acid. It has a rich tone with a somewhat unique edge. It can be aggressive but isn't necessarily. Fine for bread and butter leads and arpeggiated lines. It can be used to make percussive lines and drum sounds. The world is your oyster, and this synth is as capable as any other basic monosynth.
I hear that; I just find it a little overly basic at times, hence the post. Not a lot about it jumps out at me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
They have a unique oscillator. Not many synths have a wave folder (metalizer).

They’re also a really great USB/Midi/CV hub. For a long time I used it to control my SH-101.

I now have the MB2S so I’m retiring the old micro.
The matrix on the MB2S looks very intriguing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I coincidentally just stumbled across the Behringer Neutron demo by Sonic State, and it is everything I wish my Microbrute to be. Wow.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been watching the used prices, as if I could grab 4 at good prices it is fairly trivial to
CV OCD them for a 4 voice with 1 VCO>1 VCF>1 VCA per VOICE and cheaper than
a perFOURMer but it would be a big X factor as I have only 4 voiced Monotribes,
but they are 3 chromosomes short compared to a Microbrute....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Hook up the Brute to some pedals, twist knobs until devastation ensues.
Old 1 week ago
I’ve been using mine for bass, big ass leads, and drum synthesis. So far so good and pretty flexible if you know how to play with it. I use a 49 keys midi controller instead of the mini keys. It also works nicely with the memory boy dlx.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sure wish it had a pair of those oscillators... i suppose thats asking a lot for a budget model but hey I can dream.

Last edited by pinkerton; 1 week ago at 07:39 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It is for me, what they would call in baseball, a utility infielder. It is not the star of the team, does not always get in the game, but when it does, it is versatile and a good teammate. As others have said, you can use it as a CV source for other gear, an extra oscillator, a midi/cv converter, and ultimately it has its own sound and gets pressed into service to provide that sound. A nice piece to have around.

Last edited by Phil Aiken; 1 week ago at 03:26 AM.. Reason: stray apostrophe police
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I second most of what the others have said. It's totally true that it's a very basic synth, but it has more than one trick up its sleeve.
The oscillator is fairly interesting with its multiple waveforms, waveshaping and shapeable sub oscillator. For a single VCO, it can produce a surprising variety of sounds.

The combination of filter, resonance and brute factor is not so great sounding if you always crank everything to 100%, but once you keep the knobs below 12 o'clock you can get some interesting nuances.
All in all, it may not have the "best" tone (whatever it means), but it's a very unique one. None of my other monos sound like it.

Second big point: similarly to the oscillator, the sequencer is basic but powerful (no motion sequencing, but 64 steps!), and you can sequence/control other devices with a surprising amount of control (sends CV for pitch, gate, LFO and envelope).

And I always have a lot of fun not using presets and tweaking stuff in real time.
Like you, I often think "Well I have enough monos and the Micro is the most limited of all, I may as well sell it, I'll have a last play with it tonight just for nostalgia's sake"...and then I have so much fun with it that I end up keeping it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Beyond just being a great, inexpensive analogue monosynth, it also functions pretty well as a controller for a modular. Its got the MIDI to CV and you can use from the DAW AND you can use the keyboard at the same time. Also, you can use some of its patch points as extra modules. Need an extra envelope? use the Microbrute. Need a another LFO? Microbrute. Need an extra synth voice for that patch? Boom, Microbrute. Its not much more expensive than a KeyStep, and contains most of the same functionality and a whole lot more.

Hnm, now I'm on eBay looking to buy one again...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Hook up the Brute to some pedals, twist knobs until devastation ensues.
Theres some truth in this but it can all get pretty out of hand.My micro brute was my gateway into cv stuff and i ended up adding the following to give me some cv and fx options to expand the wee beast.Moogerfooger lpf, moogerfooger ringmod, moogerfooger freqbox, waldorf 2 pole, koma elektronik Bd101, roland demora, beatstep, ehx 8 step and rounded off with a strymon bluesky, decco and a red panda particle.

Which ended up as a very very well featured semi modular monosynth with great fx, but a complete nightmare to patch, not to mention a whole world of wall warts.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I use it for bass, because I like the growl of the resonance for rock music. I run it through a Behringer bass DI to bring out the low end better.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

as someone who owns a mini and microbrute, the one thing that has kept finding it irreplaceable (among points brought up by others here) is the sequencer and using that to send notes to my minibrute which doesn't have transposing sequencing (it has an arp instead)..

i don't do a lot of CV but this was one really nice thing because while the micro is good for simple.. however i tend to like the more complex sounds that the mini can make but enjoy the step sequencing / transposing of the micro..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Thanks to everyone for sharing Microbrute ideas! Time to retrieve mine from the closet as soon as I get home!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog128 View Post
Thanks to everyone for sharing Microbrute ideas! Time to retrieve mine from the closet as soon as I get home!
Hahaha, I did the same yesterday, inspired by this topic I brought out the MicroB and had an hour of fun, which also resulted in a nice bass patch with a lot more "movement" that I was expecting...the little monster keeps surprising!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

in no order:

reverse envelope output on other synths filter etc -

the lfo is decent and syncable - again for other synths this is great

it does good acid

syncable 64 step sequencer for other synths

love the triangle wave with just a bit of sub

converter

processor of drums and fx channels

just a great little teeny weeny mono toy (no but yeah ) synth package in general, will never sell mine as i would get nothing for it but what it does is priceless, total oxymoron material.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
Favorite Uses for Microbrute?
door stop.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search