The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transient Shapers in Hardware
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Transient Shapers in Hardware

There are plenty of transient shapers in software in the form of plugins. However, there seem to be very few implemented in actual hardware.

Of course, there is the original SPL Transient Designer hardware rack (very expensive) that the plugin version is based on. This effect is also implemented digitally in Roland's new TR-8S. Behringer has a plug-in version for their X32 console (still software but made for specialized hardware so the X32 counts as hardware).

These are the only pieces of hardware I know of that has this and they are all quite expensive and the latter two mentioned are multipurpose (not just effects processors).

There aren't even digital algorithms of transient shapers in cheap digital hardware multi effects processors. However, there are all kinds of algorithms found in cheap effects processors for enhancers or exciters which basically copy Aphex's aural exciter hardware (like my Boss VF-1, and my Behringer Ultradyne Pro) for example.

Why can't Behringer or some other company make a cheap and affordable version of the transient shaper similar to the SPL in the form of a multi effects rack unit? It would definitely be a nice thing to have for drums. I have a TR808 and I would like to run the 808 snare through one to shorten the decay in a more natural sounding way. I'm currently running it through an expander (with a built in side chain eq filter to tailor the behavior of the expander) and it gets pretty close. However, I think I would get better results with a transient shaper
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
You could always try a gate such as Drawmer DS201. It should do the trick. But Transient Designer 4 is nice too.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
The leaked behringer 808 and 909 had transient shapers built in
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Old 13th April 2018
Gear Head

Yeah for real the Elysia Nvelope is the ultimate bomb for sure. The 500 series version can be found used for even $500-600 sometimes. Its much better than the SPL units all around and was designed by the same person if I'm not mistaken. Being able to target different frequency bands while shaping transients is killer!
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have an nVelope and like it a lot. It sits on the drum bus. It is nice for shaping entire kits but really shines if you construct a beat then solo each drum and shape it, record as a single track then put them back together with a little compression.
Old 14th April 2018
Alesis 3630 -

Yes, really ...And plus it's so cheap you can try it out and see if I'm right. Buy a few of them if you like what it does.

Of course this is not what it is designed to do - but I find you can dial in some great personalizable results when you use it creatively with this goal in mind.

proftea
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I didn't even know about the Nvelope until now. After watching some demo videos of it, it left me in "WOW" mode. The ability to process envelope transients based on a specific frequency without affecting everything is just awesome!!! In fact, there is a guy in one video who actually compares the Nvelope to the SPL and give both the pros and cons of each.

Both of these units are awesome. I honestly can't say they're cheap though. The Nvelope seems to be somewhat close to the price of the SPL. However, they are both regarded as high-end tools. I may have to look at plugin options. I have and played around with the plugin version of the SPL and it does sound nice. I wonder if there's a VST or Protools plug-in version of the Nvelope? Maybe I could get a hold of it to play around with until I can afford the hardware rack version.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I didn't even know about the Nvelope until now. After watching some demo videos of it, it left me in "WOW" mode. The ability to process envelope transients based on a specific frequency without affecting everything is just awesome!!! In fact, there is a guy in one video who actually compares the Nvelope to the SPL and give both the pros and cons of each.

Both of these units are awesome. I honestly can't say they're cheap though. The Nvelope seems to be somewhat close to the price of the SPL. However, they are both regarded as high-end tools. I may have to look at plugin options. I have and played around with the plugin version of the SPL and it does sound nice. I wonder if there's a VST or Protools plug-in version of the Nvelope? Maybe I could get a hold of it to play around with until I can afford the hardware rack version.
Plugin alliance does the elysia nvelope plugin:
elysia nvelope - Plugin Alliance

Plugin alliance have crazy sales all the time. Big discounts.
I have no idea if the plugin is good.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
Plugin alliance does the elysia nvelope plugin:
elysia nvelope - Plugin Alliance

Plugin alliance have crazy sales all the time. Big discounts.
I have no idea if the plugin is good.
Cool!!

Thanks.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

As far as aural exciters go, they are easy to implement in analog or digital: just a distortion circuit, a high pass filter and a mixer to blend the wet and dry signals.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

another vote for the nvelope, espcially the 500 series if you are into that format. afaic elysia can do no wrong with their gear and the build quality is great. super solid feel. you get a lot of processing for your money with the nvelope (or any of their gear) ad it never sounds bad.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict

I’m thinking of selling my mint original four channel SPL hardware unit if anyone is interested.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone compare the hardware Nvelope to the PA plugin?
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
I would love to see this comparison.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

For sure the Nvelope, but it goes for approx $1,200 in rack format, and the cheaper 500 format is unusable as stand alone: it got no housing, no standard connectors for sound or power. Adding an enclosure, and the connectors will bring the 500 well above the price of the rack version.

Btw, some dealers pics of the 500 show it with an enclosure, but said enclosure is not included in the 500. This imo borders to misrepresentation (or worse).

When when orders a 500, this is what one gets:

Not this:

Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
For sure the Nvelope, but it goes for approx $1,200 in rack format, and the cheaper 500 format is unusable as stand alone: it got no housing, no standard connectors for sound or power. Adding an enclosure, and the connectors will bring the 500 well above the price of the rack version.

Btw, some dealers pics of the 500 show it with an enclosure, but said enclosure is not included in the 500. This imo borders to misrepresentation (or worse).

When when orders a 500, this is what one gets:

Not this:

Midas got the crazy cheap 500 rack
Old 21st November 2018
Tegeler makes the Magnetismus. a combination of a VCA compressor followed by a transient shaper. It doesn't appear to have the level of control for the transient shaper that the Nvelope has, but from the stuff I have actually heard in person (Crème and the EQ1), Tegeler makes some really good sounding gear.
Old 4th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
Would also like to know. I have the plugin, but I'm considering ponying up for the hardware version if I can be convinced...
Old 5 days ago
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

You know what, I can answer my own question now. I had the hardware Elysia Nvelope Rack, and surely I must be in the minority here, but honestly I didn’t love the way it popped. Meaning, whenever I added transients, it always added fireworks instead of a cannonball which is what I wanted. Still a good piece for some folks, but for me the Plugin Alliance worked better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search