2 Votes - 22.22%
Parva
0 Votes - 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankzz View Post
Thanks for giving this suggestion in the first place! Your note pushed me to explore the Kurzweils and a lucky Craigslist post later, I am pretty close to getting it this weekend itself

I have seen that page in Linn's site. Can't wait to try it out
Congrats on the score, @ shankzz !

Just ask if you have any question on synthesizing with it. :D
Old 15th April 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashN View Post
Congrats on the score, @ shankzz !

Just ask if you have any question on synthesizing with it. :D
Thank you! as always, GS has helped immensely in my choice here.

Yes, I am sure I will need a lot of help with the synthesis aspect of it and will certainly bug you folks here . Putting together my first few patches. There is a lot to tinker with but I already see some methods to its madness, which makes me feel hopeful.
Old 15th April 2018
Funnily enough, I don't have a USB midi interface that I can use to connect my Roli/PC to the K2000. All the new controllers and synths with their USB inputs have spoiled me . Have ordered one with Amazon and will begin my MPE experiments with Roli in couple of days. Until then, K2000 plays alone.
Old 11th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankzz View Post
Funnily enough, I don't have a USB midi interface that I can use to connect my Roli/PC to the K2000. All the new controllers and synths with their USB inputs have spoiled me . Have ordered one with Amazon and will begin my MPE experiments with Roli in couple of days. Until then, K2000 plays alone.
For some weeks I'm also an owner of the Roli Seaboard.
@ shankzz : Did it work with the K2000?

Also I don't get it why one need a special MPE capable monosynth (eg. Micromonsta). I think every monosynth should work, because there is no poly aftertouch or poly pitch bend or other poly CCs.
The sole "little" problem is to map the 5D (MPE) controller CCs of the Seaboard to "normal" CCs of the monosynth. This can be done in nearly every DAW.

Or without DAW/Computer by a Midi patch bay which can remap CCs.
Eg. iConnectMidi4+ which I use.

For me it's also a little bit strange that on Roli HW the 5D CCs are not simply configurable via Dashboard. I have the feeling that Roli wants that you need to use their SW synths.

br
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

I use mine with my Waldorf Blofeld module, and it works great. I originally picked up a used Seaboard Block for $100, but a week later I scored a RISE 25 for $349. I was already proficient with programming in Multi Mode, since I'd been using an Event Processor Plus to send up to 6 notes to separate midi channels, like a 6-voice polysynth, and also using the Blofeld with the Fishman TriplePlay guitar pickup, which works the same way; you load the same patch into each of the (up to) 16 slots of a Multi patch, but when you tweak something you just have to save that patch and they all update. Takes about a second. I program everything from scratch, but just work with the individual patch (with midi set to Omni) until I get it about 90% there, then make those final tweaks in Multi mode. The Roli Dashboard software was updated a few months ago to let you assign the CC # for each control, so the CC 74 thing is no longer an issue for the Blofeld. Long story short, they are perfect for each other!
Old 2nd September 2019 | Show parent
M32
Lives for gear

Quantum and ModX are the ones that come to mind these days. I have not heard any demo:s or jams doing this yet though. Would love to hear the results.

Doesn't the Blofeld run into memory problems rather quickly when doing multitimbral stuff? That's what kept me from getting one for this purpose so far.

If the UDO super6 becomes MPE compatible, I'm getting one for sure!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
Also I don't get it why one need a special MPE capable monosynth (eg. Micromonsta). I think every monosynth should work, because there is no poly aftertouch or poly pitch bend or other poly CCs.
Micromonsta is a polysynth, thats why its MPE capabilities are touted.

Lack of suitable pitch bend range on some synths is one thing that can make MPE controllers painful to use with general monosynths.

Quote:
For me it's also a little bit strange that on Roli HW the 5D CCs are not simply configurable via Dashboard. I have the feeling that Roli wants that you need to use their SW synths.

br
CCs are only for one dimension of touch anyway - slide (y axis). CC74 is the MPE standard for this but its configurable on most MPE controllers these days, even Roli ones. Other dimensions of control do pitch bend, velocity, release velocity, aftertouch (often configurable between polyAT and channel AT, with channel AT being the MPE standard but polyAT being useful for some non-MPE synth uses).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Quantum and ModX are the ones that come to mind these days. I have not heard any demo:s or jams doing this yet though. Would love to hear the results.

Doesn't the Blofeld run into memory problems rather quickly when doing multitimbral stuff? That's what kept me from getting one for this purpose so far.

If the UDO super6 becomes MPE compatible, I'm getting one for sure!
Quantum is not MPE capable - hopefully that gets added at some point. It has USB host post, can receive poly aftertouch messages and use them in the mod matrix, and the synth has 2 layers, so can get some of the way there, but not really close to full MPE support at this stage.

UDO Super6 should be MPE compatible, it even mentions MPE on the front panel!

Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but the modor nf-1m is mpe capable and well worth consideration
Gear Maniac

It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned Yamaha synths/modules working with MPE.

The SY/TG77; EX5(r);TG55; SY22/TG33 are all 16 part multitimbral over 16 MIDI channels. There are probably others.

The TX81Z is 8 part multitimbral.

And if you have a TX816 .... well there you go too.

I would think in Multi set-ups, they should all be capable of polyphonic aftertouch via the separate MIDI channels.
Old 3rd September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
This just strikes me as the wrong -- er, not the most productive -- way to approach an MPE controller. I would say: if you want to apply some vibrato to a pad, wiggle your finger(s). If you want to control filter cutoff, apply pressure directly to filter cutoff, or maybe to a filter envelope with short attack & 100% sustain; when you want the filter open wider, press harder. Don't use velocity for anything but attack transients.

I play LinnStrument; that, and my previous experience with wind controllers, made it very evident to me that most synths are designed with standard keyboards in mind, even though there's nothing inherently keyboardish about synthesis. This struck me even with Equator: it has fantastic modulation capabilities for MPE signals with up to 4 custom curves per dimension per patch, but the vast majority of patches seem oriented to keyboard players who want to bend the occasional note and apply poly aftertouch to fiddle with the tone a bit. So far, Bazille (which I've had for a lot longer than Equator) is my main go-to softsynth, and my spider sense hasn't tingled enough for any of the hard synths folks have mentioned to take the plunge.
Yeah, I hear what you are saying, but there are just a lot of times I want to do something like use velocity to control filter cutoff and envelope amounts for the transient, but also use pressure to control filter cutoff for later in the note event, and that is where I find that the Rise’s pressure messages can interfere with the transient. That’s why Equator has a way of adjusting the threshold of the pressure. I just wish I could adjust this inside the controller itself. Roger Linn told me that the Linnstrument does indeed allow for exactly this.

Anyway, no longer really care. I love the Rise and for those times when it doesn’t quite behave the way I want it to, I revert to my GEM S2. I came to the conclusion that I just like a synth action poly pressure controller sometimes and MPE isn’t always what’s needed. There isn’t a single answer for me. That’s fine. Between the Rise, the S2 and guitar/bass, I’ve got plenty of ways to poorly express myself.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Guru

Is anyone able to get MPE controllers to work in hardware though Bitwig? I’ve got a 002r and when I try to use it in MPE mode it gets all sorts of stuck notes, but their support doesn’t seem to think it’s the synth and most likely it’s Bitwig. That does’t surprise me.
📝 Reply