The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why Don't New VCOs Sound as Good as Old VCOs? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
You said there was no quantifiable difference. If they sound different, that is a quantifiable difference.

You are so busted. May as well admit the OB-Xa sounds better, everyone knows it. And my OB-X sounds even better than that, makes the OB-6 sound like a little girl crying on the internet.
Go learn to read better and try rereading my post. That’s not what I wrote. I swear these arguments go on and on due to poor reading comprehension.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
The second law of thermodynamics makes it knowable within a probability.
No, the second law just makes statements about local phenomena. You can't extrapolate that to the whole. You need some assumption (like indeed, that there is nothing beyond what we see) to make it work on the universe as a whole.

Quote:
Beyond the event horizon may not be anything at all.
If there wasn't than there would be no event horizon in the first place.

Quote:
The working theory is that there is nothing. This allows for a theory of physics to be developed and tested.
I don't think this is a working theory anymore. At least, not in serious physics when you talk about the cosmological horizons.

Quote:
The universe is entropic. This is the red flag that it is isolated. Everything that is, is within This that Is.
That's just phylosophical whankery.
You and i function because of entropy and yet we are not isolated. Our heat/entropy escapes into space for instance.
So entropy works despite a leaky system like the sun-earth system.

Quote:
The soul, might be this livingness, whatever it is.

It could be some sort of dark matter.

It may be superluminal.

It may be conscious ....
Yeah, well if you go that route then it may just as well be a pink elephant living in the corner of my ceiling. There is no reason to think any of that is true. Onus is on you (and in the case of the elephant, on me).

Quote:
Some folks at Caltech figured out that space might be so bent, that we literally collapse our own wave functions of Beingness.
I'm sure you or someone else misinterpreted the caltech research because what you state here is scientific bull****.

Quote:
That is, a wave function must be collapsed for something to he and perhaps we are witnessing ourselves. This is Schroedinger’s Cat in essence.
Yeah, no.
That is just more scientific whankery based on phylosophical thoughts deviced almost 100 years ago and shown to be factually untrue.
The whole copenhagen interpretation (on which such whankery is usually based) has holes in it the size of freight ships. There is no need for a human observer or otherwise anything conscious for a wave to collapse. Wave collapse is increasingly seen as an illusion.

Quote:
So, is the electron... the photon conscious in some way?
You don’t know. I don’t know.
Wank on, my brother, wank on...

Quote:
But there is a probability for anything. Anything is possible within a certain probability.
Nope. Only possible things have a probability. So not anything is possible.

Quote:
Like the Cambrian explosion. Highly improbable but apparently it happened.
I'd like to hear the arguments that show that the cambrian explosion is improbable.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
The universe is and the universe is expanding exponentially.

The universe is somehow bound together somehow by a superluminal force, of which gravity is the simplest glimpse.

So whatever the “livingness” is, it leaves the body to exist somewhere else.

It doesn’t “disappear”.
So when I turn off my car, does a car in heaven turn on? No. When I stop living my matter starts disintegrating. Actually, it’s already starting. It all still exists, but mostly in different forms. A small bit is turned into energy. I plan to be composted, so maybe I’ll fertilize food that you’ll eat and in that way I’ll live on. I hope I give you diarrhea.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

When you switch off the Nintendo Mario doesn’t go back to gamer heaven. He ceases to exist.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

What reason is there to think there are souls ? .
When you test out of body experiences it turns out that it’s all in the subjects head, no matter how real it seems to them.

That dude in the early 1900’s who claimed your soul weighs 21 grams was a bit crazy. Even his own research didn’t agree with his findings.
21 grams experiment - Wikipedia

We’ve never seen consiousnes exist without a brain. We can damage brains in various ways and change personalities and conciousness. If you get brain damaged and you turn violent does that mean your soul stays like that ?
Most people that have died were babies. Are you believers saying there are millions of baby souls out there somewhere ?
Like most religious metaphysics I can’t see how it’s even possible.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The soul, might be this livingness, whatever it is.

It could be some sort of dark matter.

It may be superluminal.

It may be conscious ....
So you don’t have a clue what it is but you know it exists ?
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
When you switch off the Nintendo Mario doesn’t go back to gamer heaven. He ceases to exist.
Have you ever weighed your Nintendo when it’s on vs. off?
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Have you ever weighed your Nintendo when it’s on vs. off?
Hasn't anyone seen Tron? When the system is off, the characters go back to the holding cells. It's all managed by the MCP. It's so simple. Duh!
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
Hasn't anyone seen Tron? When the system is off, the characters go back to the holding cells. It's all managed by the MCP. It's so simple. Duh!
How DARE you call the MCP simple.
You will pay for this, user.

Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear
Life biochemical processes all rely on the electromagnetic fundamental force. All molecular bonds are the result of one atomic nucleus (+) sharing 1 or more of its orbiting electrons (-) with a separate atom’s nucleus (+).

The nerves send electrical action potentials in one direction that are the voltage equivalent to 1 or 2 electrons each, generally caused by the activation of a surface receptor protein that transports sodium or calcium ions across the synaptic membrane to generate necessary voltage for an action potential.

Voltage-Gated ion channels send action potentials only after exceeding certain threshold concentrations of various chemical messengers within the pre-synapse and/or post-synapse, which lets the nerves regulate neurotransmitter levels and protein expression.

Unfortunately no dark matter.

Edit:
Here’s an article by my theoretical physics guy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#815995e1f526

Last edited by Discopotato; 30th April 2018 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Link
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I think that we need to get back to the sauce: Draw a distinction.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
People without a soul usually choose the new boring VCO's with no character...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Only children and the ignorant believe in magical things like the existence of a soul. I prefer to marvel at what is, and not what is imagined, unless what I'm marveling at is my imagination, which is OK, but not reality and easily transferable among humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Every time someone plays a vintage VCO, an angel loses its wings.
I'm on the fence about the idea, but if we do have souls, I would assume that the soul has bigger and more important function than rating the sound of a VCO.

I mean, what did out souls do for the last 20,000 years before we had VCO's to worry about?

5000 BC "those new gourds and skin drums seem to have a less pleasing tone than the old ones."

2000 BC "Those trumpets made out of the new metal sound horrible compared to the bronze ones."

1000 AD "Can't get a decent sounding bladder pipe nowadays. "

1500 AD "I just got a new Serpent, but it sound kinda sterile compared to my old one."

1700 AD "the piano is an artificial monstrosity that produces a grating, unnatural sound

1800 AD "Valves have just ruined the sounds brass instruments. Now any idiot with less than an ounce of talent can play them."

1900 AD "Only gut strings produce a truly complex and Organic sound."
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

All I can say after reading parts of this thread, and a million others like it.

They sure knew how to charge and discharge a capacitor back in the good ol' days.

***Disclaimer: I think we can charge and discharge them pretty damned well at this point in time too.

Being an oscillator fetishist, I can tell you one thing. When it was built doesn't matter. It's how, and what comes after it.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
How DARE you call the MCP simple.
You will pay for this, user.

Don't slow down my power cycles! I need them!!!
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

I had a dream last night that I died, and after my soul met my body, I realized I was no longer afraid and could wander the universe as I pleased. ...I have no idea what this has to do with new VCO's.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
I'm on the fence about the idea, but if we do have souls, I would assume that the soul has bigger and more important function than rating the sound of a VCO.

I mean, what did out souls do for the last 20,000 years before we had VCO's to worry about?

5000 BC "those new gourds and skin drums seem to have a less pleasing tone than the old ones."

2000 BC "Those trumpets made out of the new metal sound horrible compared to the bronze ones."

1000 AD "Can't get a decent sounding bladder pipe nowadays. "

1500 AD "I just got a new Serpent, but it sound kinda sterile compared to my old one."

1700 AD "the piano is an artificial monstrosity that produces a grating, unnatural sound

1800 AD "Valves have just ruined the sounds brass instruments. Now any idiot with less than an ounce of talent can play them."

1900 AD "Only gut strings produce a truly complex and Organic sound."
Ehhh somewhere between 600 and 1500 AD when tone was serious business inside of churches...

“This Choir boy has a wonderful high pitch singing voice! Remember to remove his testicles so that his voice never changes!”

Before AutoTune whaaaat!?
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
All I can say after reading parts of this thread, and a million others like it.

They sure knew how to charge and discharge a capacitor back in the good ol' days.

***Disclaimer: I think we can charge and discharge them pretty damned well at this point in time too.

Being an oscillator fetishist, I can tell you one thing. When it was built doesn't matter. It's how, and what comes after it.
I was trying to mentally picture how an "oscillator fetishist" spent their day, but none of the pictures were very pleasant .........
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
I was trying to mentally picture how an "oscillator fetishist" spent their day, but none of the pictures were very pleasant .........
I bet it got all saw toothy and square, until there wasn't a pulse, or a sinus rhythm to track ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search