The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
which monitors are you using
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Addict

which monitors are you using

I'm after some new monitors and I'm keen on buying some affordable genelecs this time around(the 8020's),i tried some 8010's in a local store yesterday and although decent they obviously didn't have that extra oooomph that the 8020 did

i want some clarity with some decent low end(i might add a sub at some point so this isn't essential)

portability is a plus to

electronic, breaks,DnB,techno is my thing

cheers
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Head

Check out Neumann's KH80 if you have a chance.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Guru

You simply can't go wrong with Genelecs, I wouldn't use any other monitor ever now, beautiful design, great clarity along a nice range, punchy and good translators, and I also like the company and their ethos.

If you can stretch your budget go for the 30's they deliver a nice full bass for a 5inch driver.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I'm in the same situation (but ambient music).
A friend of mine bought second hand Genelecs and is very happy (he also have a Genelec sub but I feel there are too much basses).

I was thinking going for the JBL LSR 305 that are quite cheap and getting very good reviews
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Focal Alpha
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Adam A7X
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

JBL LSR308's for a few years now and absolutely love them.
Old 8th April 2018
ADAM A7 here those past 9 years . Would like to upgrade to A7X in a near future .

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

JBL LSR305 monitors, and JBL LSR310S sub woofer. I'm very pleased with the performance but don't really have alot of experience to compare. I just went for what got good reviews and what seemed a good value for money.
Old 8th April 2018
Oop
Gear Addict

Focal SM9 and Amphion Two18’s
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Addict

Neumann KH-120A's (since 2013). Very flat, detailed and translate really well. They're front-ported, which is an advantage in a small room. Great stereo image with a pretty wide sweet spot. The Neumanns really let me hear the improvement when I treated my room. Now reverb tails, phase and pitch details, loudness differences, etc. are presented clearly and distinctly. I have great confidence in what they're telling me.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut

Fluid audio fx8
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Addict

Dynaudio till I die, unless I win the lotto, then Barefoot's
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have JBL LSR305 and they are really flat good for mixing but for tracking I use KRK rokit RP10-3 not really that flat but they have nice bass down to 30hz and a full sound especially with modular. Also loud enough to use as monitors for me to practice accoustic drum kit or bass and guitar to. Unless you have a well treated room its not gonna make that much difference. You can make great mixes on the 305's in any room with your ears in a 6' triangle that's why so many people like them.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Genelec
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have one set of Genelec 8040A, and two sets of Focal Alpha. I also have a set of Mackie CR4BT. Out of these, the Genelecs are naturally the best, but I think Focal is a good option if you can't afford Genelec.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Unless you're mixing or mastering, go for the setup that gives you the most goosebumps for the least $/£/€.

I've been quite surprised with how good the JBL LSR-305 (now available in a mkII version) is, given a previous career in the hi-fi industry (and some time spent on ATC SL actives), as they're waaay outside their expected price/performance envelope.

Not a big fan of the Genelec sound myself, but Dynaudio Pro is definitely an excellent brand option as well.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

At the moment: ProAc Studio 100's, Tannoy Reveals, JBL LSR-305's. Not a fan of Genelecs either, but monitors are a personal thing.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Eve Audio SC208's = love 'em
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm using some old Event BAS 20/20 and think they're fantastic. Paid $200 for them used. My mixes have gotten better and better over the years which made me think that monitors are 20% of mixing, the other 80% is my ears, skill, and practice
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoog View Post
I'm after some new monitors and I'm keen on buying some affordable genelecs this time around(the 8020's),i tried some 8010's in a local store yesterday and although decent they obviously didn't have that extra oooomph that the 8020 did

i want some clarity with some decent low end(i might add a sub at some point so this isn't essential)

portability is a plus to

electronic, breaks,DnB,techno is my thing

cheers
I have 8020s and find they have a nice rounded sound, better than the Focals I compared them with (forget which model, but comparative price). I think for a small room they are fine for bass, ultimately it's a question of expectations... I do acoustic guitar through to distorted electronic sounds and don't really notice the monitors, they just sound 'right'.
Old 9th April 2018
Focal alpha 65
Old 9th April 2018
Deleted User
event opal
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Addict

For 2-way's my list would be:
- Best price/performance (by far): JBL LSR305
- Favorite/best-sounding 8" mid-priced: Focal Alpha 80
- Favorite/best-sounding 6": Focal Solo6 Be
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Another vote for Fluid audio fx8 . I really like the coaxial design which packs a fair amount into the size of them.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

At home I use:
Dynaudio Bm6 MK1
Avantone

At work we have all the Genelecs, high end to low end.

If I did it all again, I would prob do Genelec, but I got the Dynaudios for a steak so no regrets.
Old 10th April 2018
Atc Scm50 Asl near/midfields. tracking, mixing, mastering. aprox at 1.7m distance. paired with solid ammount of acoustic treatment.

i do check mixes on Fostex 6301BX single cones. they are crappy and bandlimited in the right way. very telling of how levels will be on television.

thinking about adding a cheaper 8inch 2-way for the backwall, just for jamming and tracking, as when i go back there its little far from Atcs and i prefer not to crank them and enjoy normal listening levels. thinking of used Yamahas HS8 or Jbl LSR308. any thoughts/suggestions ?

previously i had Adams P22a. their tweeters with distorted highs gave me much ear fatique and translated into darkish mixes, that i had to learn to compensate for over the years. also published low end was false (like with most manufacturers). while i heard they redesigned it with new series, i wouldn't take any more chances. Atcs took all these problems away for good. listening to old mixes, i realized quickly where mistakes were done.

worked brielfy with both KH120 and o300 so i can recommend them both, especially the 3way. wonderful, wide bandwidth and so unhyped. when you make something present and bright on them you have to work it, and then it translates everywhere. Neumann's current version is called KH310, and has extra headroom and spl.

also heard HEDD Type 20 in a friend's studio recently. massive sound, much more natural top end than Adams. based on this experience, if i were looking for 2-way now, something middle of the road, btwn entry level and hi end, i'd definitely give HEDD Type 7 a strong consideration.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
event opal
Beautiful monitors - I use A7X's but would have gone for the Opal's if I had a larger studio space - tried them and the the A8X's but both were just to much for a 10'x8' room.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

APS Aeon....serious business

Was using Adam A7 before. Added decent room treatment at the same time as new monitors and though the monitors are THE ****, it was the treatment that really made the WOW! difference. If you haven't got treatment do that first and everything will sound better forever, whatever you get.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog128 View Post
Neumann KH-120A's (since 2013). Very flat, detailed and translate really well. They're front-ported, which is an advantage in a small room. Great stereo image with a pretty wide sweet spot. The Neumanns really let me hear the improvement when I treated my room. Now reverb tails, phase and pitch details, loudness differences, etc. are presented clearly and distinctly. I have great confidence in what they're telling me.
Agreed. In your price range, KH120s would be my recommendation also. But, monitors are very personal. I would try out 2 or 3 in your space if you can, and pick the ones you like best.

Last edited by rhizomeman; 10th April 2018 at 06:33 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search