The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Nut

Seems like a brilliant synth. Sort of half a Solaris-in-a-rack, with a twist. The orange version has a Sunsyn aura to it. There're plenty of way worse looking synths - anything Dreadbox, anything Roland.. most Moogs, but people muddle through because of what's under the bonnet.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Head

Came across some interesting flash of a archetecture picture in a video that answers some questions.

So the group with 5osc is: Sawtooth osc, Pulse osc, Wavetable osc, Aux osc (noise or ringMod) and the Sub osc making it 5osc.
Between the 2 groups you can FM and Hard Sync.
The Sub is switchable between different types though, so you can e.g. stack two squares if you want in a group.
That then goes through a mixer and then to the filters.

Might offer slightly different architectures in the other modes but it seems you wont have 5 square waves that you detune or modulate in a group. Still, makes for an interesting multiwave osc output from each bank. Might see it as a oscilator module where you can tap the different signals in a modular setup.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
So the group with 5osc is: Sawtooth osc, Pulse osc, Wavetable osc, Aux osc (noise or ringMod) and the Sub osc making it 5osc.
My immediate question here would be just how independent the oscillators in the group are? Can they be individually tuned, modulated and synced? Otherwise this would be like calling an SH-101 a four oscillator synth (saw, pulse, sub and noise) simply because the outputs are all available simultaneously in the mixer.

Quote:
Still, makes for an interesting multiwave osc output from each bank. Might see it as a oscilator module where you can tap the different signals in a modular setup.
Calling that five oscillators is really stretching it.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post
My immediate question here would be just how independent the oscillators in the group are? Can they be individually tuned, modulated and synced? Otherwise this would be like calling an SH-101 a four oscillator synth (saw, pulse, sub and noise) simply because the outputs are all available simultaneously in the mixer.

Calling that five oscillators is really stretching it.
I think your analogy to the SH-101 fits, I think he just might call it that.

Nothing more gleaned from looking at the editor either (the other was from a poster), it doesn't seem to offer more than 'base frequency' and 'sub tuning' for each group, nothing for each 'so called' osc.

Now I don't think that makes it that much less compelling a synth; it still got dual filter that you can set up in parallel or serial, and stereo LFOs and what not.

But the 'wave' osc could be a really nice rabbit in the hat so it is still two very capable oscillator groups in my opinion.

Wish he could fit in a complete FM engine ala Yamaha DX7

Last edited by RobLocksley; 18th April 2018 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Adding clearification
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear
New vid
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wish he could fit in a complete FM engine ala Yamaha DX7
That's along the lines of what I was hoping might be present. When Dave Smith added linear FM to the Prophet 12 he gave it a whole new range of sounds and, because the P12's oscillators can be smoothly modulated between complex waveforms, the results can be substantially different from anything you can get from a Yamaha FM synth (although the SY77/SY99/TG77's ability to use samples as modulators goes some of the way there).

That aside, the Valkyrie does look like a very capable and interesting instrument.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Why does the creator only play either EP like sounds or pad like sounds?
Seems there is a lack of other sounds if this is to be regarded as a bread and butter VA.

The sound seems a bit too clinical for me. I'd prefer a more analogue-esque sound.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
New vid
I'm going to have to stop watching these videos. The trance style sounds do nothing for me, but some of the other stuff (that almost-but-not-quite-realistic piano, for example) is inducing positively indecent levels of desire to get my hands on one.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Why does the creator only play either EP like sounds or pad like sounds?
Seems there is a lack of other sounds if this is to be regarded as a bread and butter VA.

The sound seems a bit too clinical for me. I'd prefer a more analogue-esque sound.
At one point he said "it's not just a trance box" referring to his soundcloud page demos.

Its early days for the Valkyrie I'm shure more demos we be released.

At this point if you want analog just buy one so many to choose from now.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear
The interesting thing about Valkyrie is the architecture could vastly evolve during its life due to it being a full FPGA synth.. I found it intriguing that it could dynamically alter the FPGA between patches. We should be seeing a similar thing with the oscillators in Peak.. although nothing from Novation on that front yet
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
I found it intriguing that it could dynamically alter the FPGA between patches.
I don't think its actually reconfiguring the FPGA.
The FPGA runs some set of pre-made synth functions that can be configured on the fly.

It's kindof the same as running a CPU core on an FPGA. You can make that virtual CPU run new code without reconfiguring the whole FPGA.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

They talked about it in SonicTalk and Ty was not impressed, but the way he explained it don't really change anything that has been mentioned in this thread.
First off, even though it is not doing something new and the sound can be done by any other syntheziser, for me it is that I mostly got analog stuff and I don't think my D20 is even a fraction as capable. So for us who don't own a Virus or other digital synth as capable as the Valkyrie it is very interesting peice of kit.

Now I will only consider getting one if it passes my test for what I deem is a good sound in a synth, I wont buy it if I think it is not upp to snuff.

But they were kind of harsh on it I thought, personally I don't need a revolution in every new synth but it should sound good. And they didn't think 128voices was important, I think it is becuase that will lend the synth to do a few things you can't do with an 8voice.

If Manuel changes the orange sides to light grey that would make it pretty nice as far as looks go.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They talked about it in SonicTalk and Ty was not impressed...
Ty you say...
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just watched Sonic TALK 530, they seem to be reacting the way I did...

I am not alone then...
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Lost a lot of respect for Sonic state after this video..Sonic state taking the piss.. ******
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Lost a lot of respect for Sonic state after this video..Sonic state taking the piss.. ******
Huh? That didn’t come across at all when I watched it. In fact each person wished the creator the best of luck...?
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Has anyone found a website or a way of contacting Mr. Valkyrie yet? Seems odd with all this exposure to not allow people to get in touch to pre-order if it interests them.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Has anyone found a website or a way of contacting Mr. Valkyrie yet? Seems odd with all this exposure to not allow people to get in touch to pre-order if it interests them.
I think he wants it to go into traditional distribution through dealers, hence the set up at Messe. That was my take, anyway.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
I think he wants it to go into traditional distribution through dealers, hence the set up at Messe. That was my take, anyway.
Yes, it certainly seems that way. If Access bring out a new Virus at Superbooth though he’d be better off waiting 12 months, refine the aesthetics, refine the presets and come in fresh once the new Virus hype dies down, IMO... if that indeed happens. It’s just guesswork at the moment.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

There ain't gonna be a new Virus for the foreseeable time. Mr. Kemper said so - their current focus is on the Profiling Amp.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There ain't gonna be a new Virus for the foreseeable time. Mr. Kemper said so - their current focus is on the Profiling Amp.
Ah. Good to know. Thank you.
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think the best thing they could do now would be a native Virus port, at least Powercore/C, but better the TI2. But I guess this is highly unlikely as well.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why then will they be present under the name of Access Music at Superbooth?

Amps is Kemper stuff, isn't it? Not Access
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Well, probably to just show their old product range.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, probably to just show their old product range.
I think they haven't done that for years now...
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They talked about it in SonicTalk...
That was... pretty disgusting.

Nick couldn't get the spec right. Try watching your own freaking video, Nick!

None of them appeared to have the slightest clue what an FPGA is or why its use is significant. Made them look very foolish when they started talking about how things have "moved on" while Manuel was developing the Valkyrie, and it showed a (totally expected) lack of knowledge of just how hard it is to work with that technology.

Then we had Ty damning it only to back-pedal frantically to wish Manuel well. And Jamie's pathetic "joke" with the TI Snow.

My personal interest in the synth is irrelevant. That video really did make several significant people look petty and ignorant.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post
None of them appeared to have the slightest clue what an FPGA is or why its use is significant. Made them look very foolish when they started talking about how things have "moved on" while Manuel was developing the Valkyrie, and it showed a (totally expected) lack of knowledge of just how hard it is to work with that technology.
I think that from a consumer point of view it's justified to not care wether something runs on DSP or FPGA or whatever.
I think that they correctly asserted that there won't be a lot of market for this synth, especially given the ammount of work that went into it and the price that it thus has.

The synth also doesn't seem to impress that much sonically. It sounds a little flat and lifeless. Personally i blame the algorithms.

That said, they did sound clueless over at sonicstate.
The negative 'banter' was a bit undeserved imo.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

I like the sound of it myself more than the Solaris and it's more affordable as well. The whole concept is quite interesting, my main hope is that it will be available in 19' rack format..

I think it's amazing that one guy created the whole thing with his own resources
from scratch.
That's why the Sonicstate BS was so low class, here's a guy who released a childhood dream all on his own & brought something new to the table.
To Nick's credit he did stay neutral & even defended it a bit..

I think the synth/music community should be more supportive of people like him
when they attack its personal because its just a one man operation.

Here's hoping the Valkyrie takes flight..
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

I remember some criticizing the sound of the new Waldorf Quantum when it was first announced. But I suspected they just didn't like the original patches, most of which were programmed by the incredible Howard Scarr. To each his own!

Perhaps, like almost everything else, the man who is Exodus, Manuel Caballero, programmed the patches of the Valkyrie according to his own taste. In any case, I was impressed by what he has achieved.

(But then again, I like the way it looks too.)
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Luke Perry seems to have done most of the patches shown, and he's famous for his Virus patches. So, he did similar things with Valkyrie. In hindsight, perhaps that was not the best idea. I'm sure Valkyrie can do much more than what audio examples have shown.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search