The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley View Post
So let me get this straight, I'm getting old LOL

This looks a bit and sounds like a Virus TI2 but has NO Total Integration? If so it's just a step back and you get charged a fair bit or money....I fail to see what the attraction is here.
I mean, IF they had made it Total Integration and it would work properly with USB3 or Thunderbolt - THEN it would be something....

As it stands I can't see it selling that well to be honest.
How many other devices do you know with Total Integration?

Aggregate devices on OS X let the highest latency determine the tempo. Windows can't deal with more than one ASIO device.

Everyone's completely happy using non-totally integrated analog synths that can't even be edited with a plugin.

As long as this machine is editable with a plugin, it'll be totally integrated enough. My RME is a better audio device than what most MI manufacturers build, and trying to let several audio devices cooperate like that is not likely to work.
Old 13th April 2018
the plugin integration is planned
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
How many other devices do you know with Total Integration?

Aggregate devices on OS X let the highest latency determine the tempo. Windows can't deal with more than one ASIO device.

Everyone's completely happy using non-totally integrated analog synths that can't even be edited with a plugin.

As long as this machine is editable with a plugin, it'll be totally integrated enough. My RME is a better audio device than what most MI manufacturers build, and trying to let several audio devices cooperate like that is not likely to work.
How many other devices there are is beside the point, the simple point I was making is that IMO this synth sounds and feels like a Virus hence I made the comparison. I'm well aware that not everyone shares that opinion LOL

However, IF you are going down this route where comparisons are going to be made (I doubt I'm the only one) it will raise the question why it has not gone the distance and made it the TI3 that never came.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Nut
I think we should be kind to Manuel. The Virus was a truly iterative project and from what I understand the main reason we won't see a TI3 for a while is that the DSP chips are discontinued and the OS was iteratively built on those chips. So it's years and years of work to redo in a different architecture. From an interview I saw it's a "not now, but not a not never" from Access.

When you consider what Manuel has done in a few years all by himself, it's pretty incredible.

Let's hope this synth is a success for Manuel, so he can get some more staff and have the capability to take the next version far beyond our existing wish-lists for the TI3
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
How many other devices there are is beside the point, the simple point I was making is that IMO this synth sounds and feels like a Virus hence I made the comparison.
Actually you said its a step back. I dont think its a step back. TI was a step into the wrong direction imo, hence no one else was doing it. A correction is not a step back, its a step forward.

Half my gear could be used as audio interfaces for a computer. All of them are connected to my mixer via normal outputs.

And just on a side note: Your "opinion" if something looks a bit like a virus, and can do trance sounds must lead to the conclusion that it has anything to do with virus. I cant agree to this either.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
How many other devices there are is beside the point
If it's very difficult to get right for a bigger company like Access, and it's very difficult to get right for a smaller company like Elektron, then it may be incredibly difficult and expensive to get right for a single person and therefore unrealistic.

Quote:
However, IF you are going down this route where comparisons are going to be made (I doubt I'm the only one) it will raise the question why it has not gone the distance and made it the TI3 that never came.
As was mentioned by @Coorec; was TI as it has been implemented in the Virus even the right direction?

If you look at the boatloads of analog and Eurorack that is sold nowadays - all without total integration - can you really say that TI is a necessity for any synth?

I'm not a Luddite; I am not happy with a lot of things, MIDI being especially painful. It's quite telling that ITB things have moved forward to a point where we hope OTB will some day catch up, and even ITB there's lots of hurt. However, there's perhaps better ways to totally integrate devices, but they might require different standards and directions.

So one thing that plugins have over OTB is faster-than-realtime rendering. That is information that is not required to have an audio interface; you just need data transfer. You're essentially not waiting for the notes to be played because you can calculate what they sound like and crank up that calculation power to 100% since everything's predictable.

Think of a simple LAN cable that carries megabytes of packets of sound back to a router and a computer just "downloads" that. All the receiving device needs to know is - how long is the audio track I'm supposed to return and what notes are played when? This would also be a form of total integration that does not have to involve any ASIO at all, and perhaps that'd work better since audio interfaces and OSes are a pain and we can barely get 1 to work.
Old 13th April 2018
The one thing I learned from the Waldorf XT is that I don't like wavetable in hardware. There is to much to be done in software to get the most out of it.

Looks very cool but for me I have 2 viruses and I have serum. Nothing can replace the virus but if this is Serum in a hardware box then it's super good and hardware junkies will jump on this I would think. The virus has wavtables but is not a true wavetable synth in terms of editing.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
We played with Valkyrie for roughly 15 minutes on the Musikmesse and we are very excited about the product. Being able to play it yourself, and do some quick patching, instantly made us convinced this synth deserves all the attention it can get. Thinking it’s “just another VA synth that can do some typical EDM sounds” is far from the truth in our opinion. But we understand some people have some healthy doses of scepticism if all you have is some specs and a few demo’s to rely on.

It does lush and evolving pads and strings, lovely plucks (with great attack) and mellow keys with ease. But it doesn’t stop there, it can do convincing classic synth basses and leads that instantly remind me of the 80’s, but it can also sound very modern, perfect for the current popular music styles, not limited to EDM.

Although there is absolutely some menu diving necessary during sound design, we believe it’s very intuitive, no complaints at all.

We also had a good chat with Manuel and he is such a humble guy and talked about Valkyrie with so much passion. We can only wish for him and the product that this will become a big seller! It should!
Can you comment on these alleged "10 oscillators per voice"? Are there really 10 independent oscillators, because so far it sure looks like there are 2 "banks" of 5 that share their parameters within a bank...
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder how all the wheeling and dealing is going? I hope the distributors/retailers back Valkyrie I need one of these
Old 14th April 2018
Anyone know the price?
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit54 View Post
Anyone know the price?
I assume you've heard it will be well below 2000 Euro (he has said this in many of the videos). Most speculation is between 1500 and 1700. He has also said the final price will be determined by interest and orders garnered at Messe.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Are the outs balanced?

Is there onboard shelving eq?
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Yes and yes. If you watched the Sonicstate video you'd have known it.
Old 14th April 2018
$1700 euro's??????!!!!!! Jesus Christ. Alright I'm out. Loading up serum now thanks
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

The price is not confirmed by anyone, it's just a guess at this point.

This has a polyphony that Serum cannot match and oscillator quality, too, btw
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

I think for the spec sheet this monster has $1700 would be a steal (if you like the sound, of course, and I do).
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Best demo so far.

Sound in that demo, not my cup of tea...

Anything that reminds me of a "Virus" lay out is a negative...

The designer/owner seems like a really nice guy...

On paper it has some strong specs, will suit those that use their head and bank balance rather than their ears and heart...

It will be interesting to see any future products as he seems to be a very capable engineer...

Its a no from me...

Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Sound in that demo, not my cup of tea...

Anything that reminds me of a "Virus" lay out is a negative...

The designer/owner seems like a really nice guy...

On paper it has some strong specs, will suit those that use their head and bank balance rather than their ears and heart...

It will be interesting to see any future products as he seems to be a very capable engineer...

Its a no from me...

BUUUT you just bought a Quantum right???
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

What I heard on the sonistate video is what captured my ears and heart, my music is all about emotion and what I was hearing Valkyrie would be a great tool for me.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quantum to me looks like a iPad full of great apps strapped to a midi controller, not something I’d want to throw 4K at.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Back in the very 00's I had a Creamware Pulsar card and loved that thing but I wonder if it would still hold up now and how it sounds after all these years. I think a lot of this stuff is purely psychological, some is obvious no doubt but look at things like Virus and even some of the early Reason rack extensions like Subtractor, they can still stand up even today.
The answer is no.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Quantum to me looks like a iPad full of great apps strapped to a midi controller, not something I’d want to throw 4K at.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit54 View Post
The virus has wavtables but is not a true wavetable synth in terms of editing.
WUT?
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
So funny. A developer puts an advanced digital synthesis engine in a hybrid and decks it out with a kickass touchscreen and these are the comments we get.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Michel View Post
Can you comment on these alleged "10 oscillators per voice"? Are there really 10 independent oscillators, because so far it sure looks like there are 2 "banks" of 5 that share their parameters within a bank...
My guess is they’re more like the unison oscillators in Dune 2, but I could be wrong.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quantum discussion cannot exist in two different threads at one time...
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
So funny. A developer puts an advanced digital synthesis engine in a hybrid and decks it out with a kickass touchscreen and these are the comments we get.
Yeah and the demos are so awesome sounding I can't even contain my excitement!!!!!

It's the best thing I have never heard in my life.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Quantum discussion cannot exist in two different threads at one time...
Until the wave function collapses, sure they can.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m no expert, but I assume you could put a advanced synthesis engine in an iPad.

It’s the touch screen that worries me about quantum in the long term, The iPhone 5 I’m using now to type this reply it’s screen is already playing up after 6 months of use, my first iPad hardly works now and I’m thinking Apple have a lot more money to invest in screen technology than Waldorf.
So if I payed 4K I’d be kinda worried how long the screen would last.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I’m no expert, but I assume you could put a advanced synthesis engine in an iPad.

It’s the touch screen that worries me about quantum in the long term, The iPhone 5 I’m using now to type this reply it’s screen is already playing up after 6 months of use, my first iPad hardly works now and I’m thinking Apple have a lot more money to invest in screen technology than Waldorf.
So if I payed 4K I’d be kinda worried how long the screen would last.
I have no idea what you are talking about. My daughter inherited my iPhone 3 which she uses for music and learning apps and it works perfectly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search