The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th April 2018
M32
Lives for gear
So far i'm not very impressed. Soundquality feels similar to VST's from 10 years ago. Ok, but not much depth or sparkle.
I'm a bit dissapointed in lack of the dynamics and detail. Could be partly due to youtube compression.
I'm also not a fan of those awful edm-style sounds, but i guess that's going to be their main market.

If this was around the price of a Blofeld keyboard,
i might be interested given that it's an 8 part multitimbral that can actually deliver.
So far i've heard better blofeld demo's but have never gone for one because it hasn't got enough processing power for multitimbrality.
I would love an MPE dedicated synth for my Rise49.

It's great to see the FPGA's starting to rise, i think this might be a new future for VA's and hybrids.
Stuff that would finally enable companies like U-he to turn their digital designs into autonomous hardware.
The fact these are programmeable at an almost machine-level means debugging and improving will be very efficient and flexible.

They really need an industrial designer to make it more ergonomic and appealing.
Centering all buttons in the middle of the synth makes a very ugly design, perhaps it makes the circuitboard manufacturing process easier and cheaper.
At least make it a uniform colour, so it doesn't look like a virus frontpanel lifted off and stuck on top of a bigger box.
Those fugly orange sideboards...
Old 10th April 2018
Deleted ca98332
I hope the people making this synth ignore most of this thread.

definitely excited for this and almost ready to pre-order.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It is funny because it does sound better than the Virus. There's a lot more high freq detail that Virus didn't have because its oscs were overly band-limited.
I suppose it depends on your taste in synths. So many here argue that digital synths are too bright and cold sounding and stomp all over the Virus at the same time, while it’s one of the warmer sounding digitals in existence. I agree the Virus sounds darker than the Blofeld and many of its competitors. Thought the Alesis Ion and Micron sounded really ace for inexpensive VAs with some digital tricks.

I found the demos of the Valkyrie so far to be sort of harsh and a little too brittle, even though I gravitate towards higher frequencies to some degree.

I don’t know. Obviously all subjective mumbo jumbo, still I say it for the 5,037 time; “Where in the **** is the all in one solution in this form factor in 2018?!!”

Un****ingbelievable there is no MC-909 or Command Station successor. Today. I’m not trying to catch Pokémon and trundle 10lbs of cables and power supplies with an unnecessary mixer to set up. Or a laptop with a bunch of cables and a controller and an interface? Best we can do is an iPad with a NanoKONTROL studio. Well, I guess that’s it. Still have to trundle **** around on top of that. Can we have it all in one portable ****ing box, please?! For the love of god! Please!
Old 10th April 2018
Deleted User
Must have!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru

Looks cool, sounds nice through my Genelecs, wonder if they will do a keyboard later if this sells well..? those end cheeks look like they come off easy to change paint colour for those who don't like the orange.

It's funny how many comments there are about it looking just like a Virus, yet no one has bothered to moan and complain like they would if this was Behringer..lol
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Looks cool, sounds nice through my Genelecs, wonder if they will do a keyboard later if this sells well..? those end cheeks look like they come off easy to change paint colour for those who don't like the orange.

It's funny how many comments there are about it looking just like a Virus, yet no one has bothered to moan and complain like they would if this was Behringer..lol
Just maybe because this is one guy making a synth, Behringer has been knocking off stuff for almost 30 years.
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Behringer aping Moog is a little controversial because one could argue that they are undercutting Moog, which is still releasing products. Access, on the other hand, seem to have given up on hardware synths; at least for the foreseeable future. For some people, Valkyrie is their TI 3 dream becoming a reality.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ca98332 View Post
I hope the people making this synth ignore most of this thread. definitely excited for this and almost ready to pre-order.
I hope the dude who makes it reads this thread and fix some issues people points at so his sales will increase. Thats called "global progressiveness".

Almost ready to preorder, whats stopping you? A a personal but deliberately hidden dissapoint with it?

[mod delete]

Last edited by Bender412; 11th April 2018 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
So far i'm not very impressed. Soundquality feels similar to VST's from 10 years ago. Ok, but not much depth or sparkle.
funny that only analog synths can still sound good from years ago, anything digital has a shelf life of cool for around 5yrs tops then it's slagged off according to most..?

bizarre..
Old 11th April 2018
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
I hope the dude who makes it reads this thread and fix some issues people points at so his sales will increase. Thats called "global progressiveness".

Almost ready to preorder, whats stopping you? A a personal but deliberately hidden dissapoint with it?

[mod delete]
l o l indeed, you clever cheeky devil

I was going to wait until they announced a price and maybe hear a few more demos but you're probably right, they should completely redesign the UI, swap out the encoders, provide custom on-demand color choices, have it process external audio and make it a complete workstation.

probably no problem to do a few weeks before a major trade show where he said he's trying to find distributors.

Old 11th April 2018
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Must have!
interesting to hear your enthusiasm for this. I thought you didn't like the Virus cuz of limited mod compared to the Blofeld. isn't that basically the same here?
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut
I'm quite excited about this personally but most of that is because I'm stuck in the past with late 90s/early 2000s trance.

To me, it sounds like there's finally a synth that can do the JP-80x0 supersaw properly. From the demo's it appears to be able to make that bitey sound that no other synth seems to be able to do. Thankfully, it can also do warm supersaw for pads so it won't be limited.

And yes, I've tried Novation, Access Virus, many VSTs - none sound the same.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
This is such knock off, it’s not even funny.
Why?

It's not the same chip. It's not the same software running on it. It's a knock-off if you would extract the code running on a Virus, tweak a few bits, and then stuff it in a different case. This obviously has not happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel23 View Post
It's uncanny how much this looks like a Virus Ti2 desktop.
Same way of switching it on, identical octave shift led's, same buttons - both the rotary and square ones, similar grey colour ..
It's also different from a TI2 desktop. The LCD lives in the center. It's a much bulkier package. It has no rubberized or wooden sidepanels. Macro buttons below the display are missing. The square buttons on the Virus are actually slightly curved, these are flat.

Good ideas are worth copying. The Solaris has the same pushbuttons as the Virus. The caps for the pots are standard parts as well - ALPS manufactures lots of these, and I've seen the transparent Waldorf Q knobs on other devices as well.

These knobs are very generic and have to be purchased by the thousands. There are not that many designs, because stock keeping costs money, and one-off designs are very expensive. You need three steps in the injection molding process if you want a different base, indicator and cap color - see also Double-shot moulding - Deskthority wiki

You are very much dependent on the offerings of the knob manufacturers.

Quote:
And as someone pointed out, about the same number of buttons too.
There's an art and a science in reducing the number of control elements (and thereby the cost) without giving users the feeling that they have to paint the hallway through the letterbox, and again, a Virus shows good practices in this.

You may need separate ADSR controls for the envelope. You may not need a dedicated Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release curvature control. You may want an FX wet/dry control, but you may skip on a Room Size control.

It makes no sense to try to do things differently here, because other designs have already stood the test of time. As for the grouping; the cheapest option is no grouping at all, and that means all knobs are going to be equidistant in a grid; it's the most predictable.

Triangular configurations like the LFO on a Minimoog are from a manufacturing perspective, pretty frivolous.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solapse View Post
And yes, I've tried Novation, Access Virus, many VSTs - none sound the same.
Supersaw in Diva is identical.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Price?
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Supersaw in Diva is identical.
Doesn't have the same sparkle - it's thicker and nicer independently but like most 'hypersaws' it dominates the mix too much
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut
€1500-2000 according to one article
Old 11th April 2018
M32
Lives for gear
Quote:
funny that only analog synths can still sound good from years ago, anything digital has a shelf life of cool for around 5yrs tops then it's slagged off according to most..?

bizarre..
actually, i was thinking of synths like Z3TA+ which were actually sounding very good, and super flexible.
I'd still use it for specific purposes, and it was great to have so many envelopes, lfo and modulation options.
I was fully in the software camp back then, believing the soundgap was closing rapidly and the added flexibility and range of VST synths would make them so much better than analogue synths. I still do.

Is it strange i find it a bit dissapointing when a dedicated hardware box is easily outperformed by any of the decent ITB synths these days?

Again, it's a relative thing, and with sufficient multitimbrality and a low enough price i would definitely consider buying this as a sort of UAD-synth-box-system, like the virus has been in a way for years.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solapse View Post
Doesn't have the same sparkle - it's thicker and nicer independently but like most 'hypersaws' it dominates the mix too much
Nope. Mix is in your hands, not supersaw's. Diva even does the same aliasing as JP8k, optionally.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Nick is on the case:

YouTube
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Nick is ALWAYS on the case.
Old 11th April 2018
M32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by auricle74 View Post
Nick is on the case:

YouTube
Seems like a nice guy, makes me feel a bit bad about dissing the looks. You can tell he's dedicated to his baby; cool.
Old 11th April 2018
I like the "audio platform" idea.
(CV in- and outputs??? )
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auricle74 View Post
Nick is on the case:

YouTube
Clearly Mr Caballero has been reading here and a few other places.. he directly addresses the 'discussions' online.
Old 11th April 2018
Deleted User
Of course, I need to see the manual, so I must amend to "might must have".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ca98332 View Post
interesting to hear your enthusiasm for this. I thought you didn't like the Virus cuz of limited mod compared to the Blofeld. isn't that basically the same here?
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I like the "audio platform" idea.
(CV in- and outputs??? )
Probably not in a hugely polyphonic instrument like this...
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Of course, I need to see the manual, so I must amend to "might must have".
Manuel mentions it has pretty much the same mod matrix like Virus: 6 slots with 3 destinations each.
Old 11th April 2018
M32
Lives for gear
https://i.imgur.com/rDdYVo1.gif

couldn't resist

*edit* i just read the previous post as a misspelling of the word 'manual"
Now i've noticed the man's name.
i'll just be over there in the corner kicking myself...
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

ok after seeing the interview and hearing it uses fpga's i am officially interested, this is fantastic technology and i have been waiting to see some audio applications, i was imagining them being used in guitar pedals that you could reprogram but this is far more exciting!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
ok after seeing the interview and hearing it uses fpga's i am officially interested, this is fantastic technology and i have been waiting to see some audio applications, i was imagining them being used in guitar pedals that you could reprogram but this is far more exciting!
Novation Peak - Peak Explained | NovationMusic.com
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search