The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Wonder how this will stack up against the Solaris?
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Maniac

It's uncanny how much this looks like a Virus Ti2 desktop.
Same way of switching it on, identical octave shift led's, same buttons - both the rotary and square ones, similar grey colour ..
And as someone pointed out, about the same number of buttons too.
Are the original designers of the Virus involved here?
Old 9th April 2018
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Cool synth.

I think i'll finally be able to play this song on a hardware piece:

Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel23 View Post
It's uncanny how much this looks like a Virus Ti2 desktop.
Same way of switching it on, identical octave shift led's, same buttons - both the rotary and square ones, similar grey colour ..
And as someone pointed out, about the same number of buttons too.
According to the this interview Top News: Exodus Digital Valkyrie & Interview Manuel Caballero - Seite 2 von 2 - AMAZONA.de its just one guy, Manuel Caballero.

Quote:
Peter:
Who is behind EXODUS DIGITAL?

Manuel:
Just me, Manuel Caballero. Valkyrie's development was supported by a couple of hardware contractors and sound producers.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Not plausible with a fixed voice count, sure, but with dynamic resource allocation there’s no reason I can see why it couldn’t be done. The primary challenge would be UI design and even that’s not difficult to imagine with a touchscreen. It’s much harder to imagine any of the major players taking on that big a risk, which is why I’m excited to see some innovation coming from the fringes.
If you’re going big touchscreen, yeah, but that’ll be costly. I guess I look at it as someone who doesn’t mind using a trackball and Remote SL for editing
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Wonder how this will stack up against the Solaris?
That’d what I was wondering.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Demo tracks are sooo poor, also why no individual sounds for the demo, makes me suspicious. Someone is taking too much of the magic new synth dust again.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 View Post
Looks almost like a virus rack.

Need virus killer.
Need keyboard version.
A keyboard version is planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Virus spiritual successor much.

Wonder what they mean by that thought:
Sound generation is done in custom-designed hardware [...]
Custom hardware costs.
It has cost him a LOT so far, as much as a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Hmm no website or contact adress?
He's working on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
Demo tracks are sooo poor, also why no individual sounds for the demo, makes me suspicious. Someone is taking too much of the magic new synth dust again.
He's working with people to get some better demo's done. He is aware that they need to be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel23 View Post
No
Old 10th April 2018
Pip
Lives for gear

Looks interesting spec wise, Fuggly design 80's look, the demo's are dreadful, no website - so work in progress at best, I think we are being a bit premature to suggest this is a Modal/Solaris/Virus killer.
I'm watching from afar at ther mo, accepting and supporting the effort I would suggest, decent demo's, and a website are critical, good luck, but at the moment I see nothing to get particularly excited about, but I applaud all new synth manufacturers.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

I love the name of this synth. Best matched with Valhalla's reverbs. Hah!
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
A keyboard version is planned.

It has cost him a LOT so far, as much as a house.

He's working on those.

He's working with people to get some better demo's done. He is aware that they need to be better.

No
A bit misleading imo calling it ‘custom designed hardware’ for sound generation if this design only leads to programming logic cells on a stock Zynq 7020 FPGA. Usually one would associate custom chips (ASICs) with this.
I’m not clear why one would do this, what special parts for VA synthesis are missing with such a powerfull chip?

Just marketing talk?

Or are you talking about case, circuit board..? What’s ‘custom’ about the hardware and why should developing it cost like a house??

Edit: From the linked interview comments it gets clear it’s all done with the FPGA.
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

I found the first demo being ok, the following trance cheese horrible, as usual. They are trying to match the intended customer base, only problem is that this music has evolved a little bit too, not just the technology. That’s why I think they are missing something, with showing no (optional and semi-) modular appeal.
What artists want as a new digital hardware synth is a Nord Modular G3 crossed with a TI3, maybe.

If already you could modulate everything with everything at audiorate, that would certainly help. i.e. FM synthesis is just making a renaissance with new Korg, Yamaha and Elektron offerings.

Really strange that it should get no external audio in with all these FX, no fun way to integrate it with analog hardware.
What about a few CV ins and outs?
Even Elektron got it now with the MKii analogs.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Freeweb View Post

Or are you talking about case, circuit board..? What’s ‘custom’ about the hardware and why should developing it cost like a house??
I think there's a misconception about how much things cost. Just because person A can buy components from Maplin for X amount, that's not representative of actual development costs. Tooling costs for manufacture alone can be huge outside the realms of a guy 3D printing cases at home. International certification can be expensive, time spent on development and farming certain things out is expensive.

One of my clients is a plugin developer, and their last plugin was a six figure (£) development cost. How much would a plugin wrapped up in a sexy shell cost then? I know it won't be less.

Anyway, I don't know exactly where the money has gone, I just know it has cost him a lot to develop it this far.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting. I could use another synth next to my Virus.

I don't think the demo's are that bad. They're not brilliant, it's too familiar, they sound like the stuff you hear on Vengeance sample cd's. Still I'd rather hear this, than the annoying, slow hip-hop "inspired" trrrrrrrrrr 808 hi-hat "beats" that are in fashion right now.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Addict

looks interesting, the matrix on the lower right looks a bit blofeld style selection, would prever some row of knobs.
I hope it has some visual feedback on the display like the blofeld.
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds like a Blofeld to me.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds like money leaving my wallet to me.

Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

It’s great to hear someone playing it in person, and there’s definitely enough there to keep me interested. I’d like to hear a whole bunch more, and hold out hope that they’ll pair the sound engine with a good action with aftertouch and sell a keyboard in the not-too-distant future.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

I really hope it has knob catch mode.

Sounds pretty good IMHO.

EDIT: Patch remain feature. YESSS!
Old 10th April 2018
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

VA emulation sounds very good. Sorta Oberheim like.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

I think part of the reason people don't get as excited for high-spec digital synths anymore is the "vanishing specs" effect of MicroQ-style DSP processing. The synth advertises a certain number of oscillators or voices, but then depending on what features and effects you use the specs shrink, and your 32 or 64 or 128 voice synth is suddenly a 8 or 4 voice. It erodes the consumer's faith in the numbers compared to a product where the number of oscillators/voices/parts is totally locked-in.

Thus that would be my big question with the Valkyrie - how do the specs scale as different features are used in a patch? If a certain minimum number of voices is guaranteed then it squashes a big source of skepticism.

Otherwise, the Messe demo sounds good.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
I think part of the reason people don't get as excited for high-spec digital synths anymore is the "vanishing specs" effect of MicroQ-style DSP processing. The synth advertises a certain number of oscillators or voices, but then depending on what features and effects you use the specs shrink, and your 32 or 64 or 128 voice synth is suddenly a 8 or 4 voice. It erodes the consumer's faith in the numbers compared to a product where the number of oscillators/voices/parts is totally locked-in.

Thus that would be my big question with the Valkyrie - how do the specs scale as different features are used in a patch? If a certain minimum number of voices is guaranteed then it squashes a big source of skepticism.

Otherwise, the Messe demo sounds good.
The good thing is that Valkyrie does not have that problem.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post
The good thing is that Valkyrie does not have that problem.
That’s definitely part of the appeal. The pitch is that it’s always 128 voices with 10 oscillators each, and that each of the eight parts has a dedicated effects chain. Of course you can always choose to layer patches, but that’s true of any synth that isn’t restricted to a single timbre.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s definitely part of the appeal. The pitch is that it’s always 128 voices with 10 oscillators each, and that each of the eight parts has a dedicated effects chain. Of course you can always choose to layer patches, but that’s true of any synth that isn’t restricted to a single timbre.
Yep. It really seems to be a workhorse synth, a direct competitor to the Virus in many ways.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

This is such knock off, it’s not even funny.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pitch is that it’s always 128 voices with 10 oscillators each, and that each of the eight parts has a dedicated effects chain.
Good to hear. VA's of the mid 00's really muddied the water with respect to promises of high polyphony.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
I think it's more than a knock off.. A knock off is considered a cheap/inferior imitation...
Like the Behringer Model D IMO thats a knock off.

I do agree that the look is definitely Virus-esque, maybe it's an homage?
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
It is funny because it does sound better than the Virus. There's a lot more high freq detail that Virus didn't have because its oscs were overly band-limited.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search